Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sh*tty Mom: The Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 17, 2012
Hilarious. like all the awful stories Louise C.K. tells about his kids but better.

Yes, children are precious little angels sent from heaven in a basket, but its okay to make fun of them too. Made me feel like a great mom. And i'm a dad. So that's saying something.
0Comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2012
If you can't answer 'yes' to at least one of the questions in the Sh*tty Mom quiz then I suggest you put this book down and walk away. It takes time to get a little perspective on the whole parenting thing so don't despair, in another year or two, or after another child or two, you will be ready to enjoy the irreverent advice and humour found in this tongue in cheek guide to motherhood.

Sh*tty Mom: The Guide for Good Enough Moms has a structure similar to the early parenting guides you read so intently while you were pregnant but with chapter headings such as "How To Hand Off the Newborn Who just Filled a Diaper" and "Stop Looking for a Great Babysitter and Settle for One who Shows Up", it lacks the traditional wise and scientifically proven judgements passed down from pediatricians whose own children were raised by their (bilingual) nannies.

Essentially this is a stand up comedy show script with lines written strictly for audience reaction. I couldn't help but snigger here and there and even laughed loud enough for my husband to ask 'what was so funny?' on occasion. There were scenes that went a little far, even for my relaxed mothering style, but I am sure a redneck somewhere thought they were hilarious.

Even though there is little in this book in the way of serious, or even legal, advice there is a kernel of wisdom buried under the snarky wit and carefree attitude of Sh*tty Mom. Parenting is, at times, exhausting, thankless, and insanely competitive. Sometimes "good enough" is the best you can do, and that's OK.
33 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2012
Having 4 children, ages 25-14, this book cracked me up. A very tongue and cheek approach to parenting. I do remember the alarm going off early enough on a Saturday morning to make the 8 AM soccer game, and thinking " Is he/she EVEN going to play today...will they REALLY miss him/her?" A great read for seasoned and new parents alike!!!!
on March 9, 2013
I laughed out loud with every turn of the page! Incredibly hilarious! A definite recommended read for every mom or mom to be!
on April 16, 2013
If you are offended by rough language,then just stop right now and do not buy this book. If your a mom with a since of humor please purchase because it make u laugh and want to check your own mother status . Great read and I have recommended this book to my sister's and friends.
on November 6, 2012
There are a couple chapters from the book circulating on the Internet. If these make you laugh out loud then this is definitely your type of humor. I only wish the book didn't end!
on March 20, 2013
I could not put this book down nor stop laughing!!! It is a must read for anyone with a sense of humor. Now I don't know what I will do with my 5 mins of spear mommy time.
on July 30, 2015
This book is hilarious! This book had both me and my hubby cracking up. It's not meant to be taken so seriously, but it just makes you feel a little better about parenting because you can relate to some of the scenarios which is quite refreshing!

If you're looking for a book that seriously addresses parenting issues, this book isn't for you. But if you're looking for a laugh buy this book and enjoy it. The chapters are short and dirty reads which is even more of a bonus, because who has lots of time to read with a baby right?!
on February 4, 2014
Just that, I expected to be laughing a lot more. Some of the humor was a bit off for my taste. Maybe that's just me. There were a few too many references to quite negligent parenting, and it wasn't too clear as the whether it was a joke or not.
on May 16, 2016
As you should be able to surmise from the title, this isn't for you if you're easily offended. It's not vulgar, but obviously not P.C. If you're okay with that it has a couple chuckle moments and a few funny quotes