5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely
Published on September 8, 2009 by Sweet tea, please

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Shabby for Me!
Published on April 2, 2011 by suzanne k

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, September 8, 2009
This review is from: Shabby Chic Interiors: My Rooms, Treasures, and Trinkets (Hardcover)
For those who were saddened by the closing of Shabby Chic stores and look to Rachel Ashwell's blog for inspiration, Shabby Chic Interiors will thoroughly satisfy. Ashwell's friendly tone, along with Amy Neunsinger's delicious photography, take the reader through exactly what is promised: her rooms, treasures, and trinkets. She manages to make a barn beautifully charming, and her collection of vintage prom dresses is nothing short of gorgeous. In short, if you enjoyed The Shabby Chic Home (or any of her other books, as well), then you will love Shabby Chic Interiors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes it's a little different Shabby but I call it an evolved Shabby!, September 21, 2009
Elizabeth A. Barrett (Barrington, RI United States) - See all my reviews
I just finished Rachel Ashwell's latest book, Shabby Chic Interiors: My Rooms, Treasures, and Trinkets. I thought the book was very inspiring. Amy Neunsinger's photography was fantastic and I think it's great that Rachel is evolving her look with more saturated colors and some leather pieces thrown in for good measure. It feels just as feminine and chic but maybe a little more mature and sophisticated. Without a doubt, I love that she gets rid of all the modern "fancy-smancy" additions by replacing them with the old, well-worn look we love her for. I was very happy with this new book and will happily add it to my RASC collection! It's a definite keeper that you will refer to often for helpful tips and great suggestions on ways in which to beautify your home with simple everyday items that we all have access to. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see your new store in NY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews Too Harsh, October 20, 2009
Austen (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion but, I think those who say they are a fan of Rachel's and then completely pan this book because it didn't meet their expectation of what they thought she "should have" put in her book have completely missed the mark. The book is subtitled "My Rooms, Treasures, and Trinkets." Her rooms - not what she would suggest for us - just what she's done. Things she loves, ways she's transformed her homes. Would I do everything she's done? No. Would I do some of them? Absolutely! She does say that her style has evolved and there are definitely more splashes of color in her style. I did enjoy seeing it all and I appreciated that she opened up and showed her vulnerability during what has been a tough time for her. I enjoyed this book much more than the last. It was far more real than celebrity parties.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Shabby for Me!, April 2, 2011
I have all of Rachel's books, but unfortunately, I believe she missed the mark with this one. Was it hastily put together? I have almost all shabby elements in my home and I am quite the Ashwell devotee. I have purchased many things from her boutiques and her Target line and she has inspired most of the decor in my home. The European tradition with beautiful muted colors is not represented here. This book looks more like a hodge podge. I have given this book to my friends, since I do not refer to this book myself, for guidance or inspiration, as I do with all of her other books, and they all say the same thing. I do not like this book as much as the others.

2.0 out of 5 stars For wealthy readers ONLY, November 27, 2009
Like many other reviewers, I have loved Rachel Ashwell's shabby chic style and loved the photos in all her other books, as well as the dialogue. This book is a HUGE disappointment for me. I still appreciate the photos, but....please....is this just supposed to be a book for everyone? Are we supposed to take inspiration from someone who has money and space to burn and feels free to tell us about it? I'm sorry....I can't afford to have several homes--a beach house off the coast of Greece, etc., and I DEFINITELY don't have space to burn. I have always been so inspired by her other books and was able to adapt the ideas to my own home and style. This book is a JOKE if you are looking for pure inspiration. Frankly, I was offended by all the hoopla about her multiple homes, etc. Do other style mavens tell us about their personal lives in this detail? No. They offer suggestions for ALL of us. For me, this amounts to a fan magazine for those who are in love with Rachel Ashwell and not her shabby chic style. An aside: Why does she sell her wares in Target stores and then write her book from the perspective of the super-rich? Ridiculous. Stick to shabby chic advice and photos and forget the glimpse into your own personal kingdom.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointing, November 3, 2009
I have loved Shabby Chic for years, and was very excited when I saw this new book coming out. Once I started looking at it, however, I have to say I was very disappointed. I understand how a persons taste and style can change and evolve, but from what I now see in Rachel Ashwell's home, her taste has turned to junk. What happened to the beautiful floral fabrics and antique mismatched china? The beautiful crystal prisms hanging off candle holders and lights? Those were the types of things that drew me into Shabby Chic to begin with and what I still love about that look. From what I see now, and how she's decorating, it looks like Shabby Junk, and I see nothing chic about it. Most of her furnishings look a tad bit like garage sale rejects. The style and elegance that used to go hand in hand with the name Rachel Ashwell, has sadly, been replaced with tacky furnishings that I wouldn't give a nickle for. There is nothing in this book that resembles the Shabby Chic look and style from the past. Don't bother with this book if that's what you're looking for.

1.0 out of 5 stars SHABBY CHIC INTERIORS, September 21, 2009
This book should allow potential buyers to see some of its chapters and especially its not too inspiring photos. Do not let the cover fool you as it did me. As a fan of most shabby chic elements in home decor, this is a true disappointment due to its rushed and thrown together look. Some of the dedications and family memories by the author are sweet...but what happened to all the photos? I must say that all of the CHIC was taken out; sadly leaving us with only SHABBY, BORING AND DEPRESSING IMAGES. I know this look has been around for two decades, but past books and images seemed more romantic and timeless with a bit of a euro feel...now it is starting to look very junky and you can't wait to run out of the rooms...her kid's shoes, scary white cross, prom dresses, the so called celebrity rooms...Munroe's former bedroom (yuck!)Sorry to be so harsh...but the decorating ball was really dropped on this book project.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully SHaBBy ~ But not new ideas..., October 17, 2009
Jeanine Burkhardt (Cedarburg, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
SHaBBy Chic Interiors has lovely pictures/vignettes - BUT NO NEW INSPIRATION... A bit disappointed...

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, January 4, 2010
I have been a fan of Rachel Ashwell since she began.I love what she does and the best thing is we are all capable of doing it.This book has some beautiful pictures and is written well.If you are into remodeling/refinishing or redecorating and LOVE Shabby Chic-this is the book for you.Its lovely and a joy to own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rachel Ashwell in the past has been a true inspiration to me, May 7, 2010
Farm Chick (Blue Ridge Mountains) - See all my reviews
I am a HUGE fan and read and reviewed previous books. With that said imo, both Rachel and the ideas in the book look really worn out. We've all aged since her 1st book and she tells of her harrowing past year but I found the book a bit depressing. I don't agree w/ STYLE being, leaving a price tag on a hanging lamp, or a stained sampler or a chandelier not hanging but resting on a Church pew. She inspired me to buy an 1886 farmhouse and make it a beautiful home that reflects ME. I grew up and then lived in over the top contemporary homes and decorating a vintage farm in the Blue Ridge Mountains was beyond my comfort zone but it really turned out to be a showplace using her advice and ideas. I have seen bathrooms in gas stations that had more design appeal than in this book. I still gave it 3 stars because I enjoed reading it and seeing her style evolve and it looks GREAT on my tattered vintage end table. Oh, I just found 2 beautiful????? wing chairs at a thrift store that I asked a friend to help me upholster...OMG...when my friend saw the chairs w/ fabric just thrown over the chairs, it wasn't quite the inspiration I was looking for. If you are new to Rachel's philosophy I highly recommend you purchase her old books because they were chock full of fresh and exciting ideas.

Shabby Chic Interiors: My Rooms, Treasures, and Trinkets
Shabby Chic Interiors: My Rooms, Treasures, and Trinkets by Rachel Ashwell (Hardcover - October 1, 2009)
$35.00 $22.79