5.0 out of 5 stars Sassy and fun
A little undercover special non military rich girl with romance? I'm in! Loved following the characters of the series, although I do wish there had been more follow up or spin offs on some of the other characters (maybe Brown or Black?).
Published 13 months ago by ambi083

3.0 out of 5 stars Same As The First Book.......blah, blah, blah. I'm Bored.
Published on October 24, 2011 by LilaBird

3.0 out of 5 stars Same As The First Book.......blah, blah, blah. I'm Bored., October 24, 2011
This review is from: Shades of Grey: Book Two of the Alexis Stanton Chronicles (Paperback)
Okay. I finished this book a few days ago now and I think I'm ready to write a review. It's not that great. It's weird. I feel myself being drawn to these characters. I like them and I don't mind spending time with them. I just don't think they're in the right hands. They're not being given very interesting stories or even very interesting things to say. I don't understand how an author could come up with such intriguing characters, but then not be able to tell their stories properly. It upsets me. They deserve better than this.

Let's start off with my first complaint. All the men in this book (with the slight exception of Mr. Black) speak exactly the same. Most notably, Mr. Red and Mr. White. Barely anything differentiates these men. Even Blue and Brown sometimes sound the same way. I do understand the subtle differences between them, but they don't have unique enough personalities. I think that's why I'm always rooting for Black when I'm reading. He's the best guy there, so why does Alex feel nothing for him?? Drives me crazy. And IF she's going to feel something for White, why not actually do anything about it????? They should at least talk about their feelings or kiss or something! It's not even sexual tension, the way it's written. Not that it has to be some crazy romance novel, it definitely shouldn't be, but please! Give something! I'm begging you!

JC Phelps needs an editor badly too. I can overlook the occasional typo, really I can. But not like this. First of all, learn the difference between "your" and "you're"; "their", "there" and "they're"; and "its" and "it's". Those mistakes are unforgivable in my reader's mind. I can't take it. Secondly, make sure you know what the words mean that you're choosing to use. Well known phrases are repeatedly misused. Common sayings are just wrong. There's not any other way to explain it. Here's an example: It's not "for all intensive purposes". It's "for all intents and purposes". That type of mistake is made THROUGHOUT the entire series and it has been driving me crazy.

I have to mention the cover art again. I do realize that in this day and time, when the major bookstores are disintegrating before our eyes, covers may not seem like they matter as much anymore. Everything is digital and small thumbnail covers are overlooked. But I personally disagree. No longer do we have the luxury of flipping through a book, skimming the back cover, etc. ALL WE HAVE is the cover! To me, it becomes one of the most important things I look at when deciding to buy a book. Here are some tips. Don't have a solid color background with no differentiation at all. It's boring. Don't EVER EVER EVER use the same font for the title of the book as for the author's name! NEVER! Do something more interesting than just generic silhouettes that you found in your computer's clip art folder. And even if that's not where you got the images from, take my point --- it LOOKS like that's where you got them from so wherever you really did get them from is irrelevant. You really, really need the help of a graphic designer. And if you can't afford a graphic designer, then go to a bookstore (yes, some of them do still exist) and take a look at some successful covers. Take pictures. Make notes about what makes them successful. Buy Photoshop. Learn how to use it. Get advice from other people -- not only friends and family. Post the images in a Goodreads discussion thread and ask strangers' opinions. Take their criticism and advice. Make changes. Then, when you have AMAZING new covers, then re-release your books (hopefully they've been re-edited by this point) and publicize that you have new editions with new cover art. Do giveaways. Do blog posts. Once people start seeing your amazing new covers, they will assume that the book is as good as the cover is and they will be WAY more likely to buy it.

I hope some of this helps you. I don't mean to be snarky about it, but come on. There is A LOT of competition out there and your stuff has to be top notch if you want to compete with the best. You have an awesome start, you just need to give these stories some more work. I hope you take the time to do it. Your characters are worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sassy and fun, September 23, 2013
ambi083 (Kentucky, USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars shades of gret by j c phelps series, May 9, 2012
a good read, holds readers interest, good page turner, can't wait for more in this series.
nice rainy day book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Terrible, But Not Great, April 27, 2012
The bad grammar was annoying by the end of this book. The author kept saying "he and I" when it should have been "him and me." Ms. Grey was whiny and seemed to be too immature to have the job she did. If you can get past that it was a decent read, but I likely won't read the third book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Even for the genre it's not very good, March 3, 2013
This is poorly written and mostly boring. There are a few entertaining passages;that's about it. The Story of O (years ago) was better

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible!, January 12, 2013
The seocnd book is worse than the first, if that is poissible, and yet not as bad as the third. Cannot bleive I wasted my time with this drivel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, poorly edited, no suspense, April 21, 2013
This book was simplistic at its best. It was not properly edited and the grammatical errors were distracting. The author wrote the whole story from the main character's mind in first person. It lacked depth, was bland, and where there was supposed action, it lacked suspense and was quite predictable. The only emotions in the whole story were the endless insecurities about the main character's attractive co-worker. The main character whined annoyingly. I gave it two stars rather than one because I read it to the end. I guess I was hoping it would get better as I went on. I won't be continuing with the next in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, February 5, 2013
Enjoyed book #2. It is a nice fun read and I look forward to reading the next. Go Ms Grey!

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and undemanding rainy day read, December 22, 2011
I gave this the same rating as I did the first book of the series as it wasn't probably about the same level as the first. Plot was decent, action very good and an interesting plot twist to this one.

I'd hoped for more character development and didn't get it, main character is still vacillating about her feelings and borderline whining at times, the supporting characters are still pretty much "cardboard figures".

I have to say the editing errors bothered me more with this one, not sure if it is worse than in the first book or I just noticed it more. Either way, it was bad.

I'm still in the 'debate' stage about the third book, trying to decide if I really care enough about the characters to risk ending up with another 'doesn't go anywhere' addition to the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Alex is back!, December 3, 2010
In Shades of Grey, book two of the Alexis Stanton chronicles, J.C. Phelps creates an ideal sequel. The story continues where Color Me Grey left off and carries the continuing story arc of Alex Stanton - also known as Ms. Grey - and her work as an agent with White and Associates. Though the books are connected, each one tells a succinct and contained story so they can be enjoyed individually as episodic adventures. Of course, once the reader has a taste of Alex Stanton's life, one book is definitely not enough!

Once again it is the endearing characters that fill this novel with heart. Alex is kind and caring, but also sassy and strong - keeping pace with her male colleagues. The relationships in the book are realistic and believable and the story delves deeper into Alex's family and her growing friendships with her coworkers. The romantic tension between Alex and Mr. White continues to build, and Alex is all the more likable for her character's wisdom and integrity. She doesn't simply fall into bed with the men she's attracted to but thinks honestly about her relationships and the results of romantic attachments.

Phelps keeps the action high and layers on the intrigue throughout the book. It's a delight to witness Alex develop her skills, holding her own as the heroine, as tough and talented as her male counterparts. For those that loved Color Me Grey, Shades of Grey is a wonderful continuation. The third book in the series Reflections of Grey also promises more of the same, and I can't wait to read it!

Shades of Grey: Book Two of the Alexis Stanton Chronicles
Shades of Grey: Book Two of the Alexis Stanton Chronicles by J.C. Phelps (Paperback - August 1, 2006)
$10.50 $9.45