Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shades of Ray
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on March 23, 2009
This film is a laugh-out-loud romantic comedy that also touches on problems brought on by cultural differences within a family and in the dating world. It was extremely well-cast, with both lead and supporting characters played beautifully. You will see lots of faces you know from your favorite TV shows. This is a "chick flick" that men can enjoy as well. I definitely recommend it.
on April 2, 2009
I have always been a fan of the "independent film" and Shades of Ray does NOT disappoint.

The balance of dramatic and comedic elements was wonderful and the chemistry between the characters was fantastic. I found myself so pulled into the film that I wanted more when it was over.

I highly recommend this for anyone!
on April 10, 2009
Shades of Ray
An interesting and entertaining movie about a young man, Ray, trying to find peace, acceptance and love with a family divided by two hugely different cultures. The cast is superb , led by the amazing Zachary Levi (of tv's Chuck) getting to show the dramatic side most people aren't aware of. And Kathy Baker, as always , is a major plus in any project. It should be of interest to anyone with a multi-racial family, or anyone who likes a good love story.
on November 27, 2010
I'm a big "Chuck" fan, so I thought I'd see what else Zachary Levi had done. I really liked the movie. In my opinion, it would be a great date movie. I would have preferred a little less cursing, the father character didn't know how to speak without uttering curse words. Other than that, I loved the movie. Would recommend it to anyone.
on January 7, 2014
This movie is a great reason that independent movies have recently stepped into ground that was once mainly dominated by big budget film companies. This has a great all star cast, that work well together and have great chemistry. You will be laughing non stop throughout the run of this film, no matter your background despite the main protagonists in the film being of Pakistani nationality. The jokes work and are not the rather familiar "inside-joke" type of origin. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is a fan of great, well written Comedies.
VINE VOICEon December 18, 2010
There is extraordinary pressure to match A to A and B to B when it comes to relationships (and parents). Catholics marry Catholics. Japanese Americans marry Japanese Americans. Tall people marry tall people. Cat people marry cat people. And so on. This is not an absolute rule, certainly. But look around, and what do you see?

Ray Rehman (Zachary Levi) has a Pakistani father and a white mother. For most of his life, he avoids parental pairing, but after he finds his true love, a white lawyer who takes a couple of weeks to consider his offer of marriage, his father drags him into meeting the daughter of a Pakistani man. The thing is, the mother, again, is Caucasian.

She is like him, the first person "like him" he has ever met.

Guess what happens.

Levi seems well cast for this part. He does what he does, and he's a nice guy. Ray counts himself above the pettiness of arranged marriages or "like with like." Ironically, as a budding actor, the casting directors think he's either too light, too dark, or not swarthy enough. Funny.
on March 20, 2009
I first saw this film at the Austin Film Festival last year, and I really enjoyed it. Zach Levi gives an outstanding performance, and is able to bring such humor and heart to the piece. Brian George also stood out. I had been a fan of his character when he was on Seinfeld, but had no idea how talented he was. He could have easily gone overboard with his characterization of Javaid, the father, but instead makes the character so engaging and believable. He was definitely one of the highlights for me. Great cast all around, really. Also, the film could have easily been just another romantic comedy, but it really stands out as being a unique journey into the title character's world and struggle as he tries to find his place amidst his two cultures and discover who he really is and what he really wants.

I definitely recommend this film to anyone who likes to laugh, but also to anyone who wants a film with heart and weight to it.
on December 27, 2013
This is a different view of how families of mixed origin and their children regard the world, both positively and negatively. There is humor and heart, love and forgiveness, revelation and caring. In the end, the parents find that their children have grown up and the children find that the parents have, too. Probably need to watch this movie more than once to get the full impact. Good one to add to your collection.
on October 8, 2010
This is a simple story but a good one. I really enjoyed watching the relationship between the father and the son. It was sometimes funny, sometimes touching and always entertaining. I like actor Zachary Levi and this was the main reason why I purchased this movie but I must admit that Shades of Ray is now one of my favorites. Good acting and good music!
It really is a feel good movie.
on January 28, 2014
LET ME START BY SAYING THAT I BOUGHT THIS SIGHT UNSEEN BECAUSE I AM A BIG FAN OF ZACHARY LEVI, I DO NOT REGRET IT. IT IS A VERY HEARTFELT HUMOROUS MOVIE. IT HAS GREAT ACTING AND A THEME OF SELF DISCOVERY AND ACCEPTANCE. AND THOUGH I AM NOT A FAN OF STORY'S WHERE SOMEONE IS DATING AND MEETS SOMEONE ELSE THIS MOVIE DID IT IN SUCH A WAY THAT YOU DON'T FEEL ANYONE IS A JERK. WOULD DEFINATELY RECOMEND.