Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 23, 2012 6:35:42 PM PDT
Marie Gerber says:
Would love to know what someone else thinks about this book - I'm baffled as to whether I should continue to read the whole trilogy - I'm only halfway through Shades of Grey - I can't believe that it's STILL a best seller (#1 for weeks). Is it me??????

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 1:55:06 AM PDT
PA Grant says:
This is not a sex book, or even a well written romance. It is so badly written that you can't even picture what the characters look like. There's no real description of any of them other than simple statements of skin color, hair and eye color, etc. It is also so repetitive that if the author took out even half of the "Oh My", "Oh Crap" and biting lips and "he cupped my sex" and the boringly same descriptions of the clothes Christian always wears the books would only make up one book. As far as graphic sex scenes it's yes and no. Yes, because she gets quite detailed about what she's feeling and what they're doing, but the acts are so emotionally devoid of reality and the descriptive words used are so redundant and repetitive it seems almost as if a robot has written the scenes. I have read romance novels which were more arousing than these books. I found myself skipping over the sex scenes from book two and book three just to see what was going on with the rest of the characters. My advice is if you want to be titillated by good writing, don't read these books. If you want a good story line and one not taken almost completely from the storyline of "Pretty Woman" then you definitely don't want to waste your time with these.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:30:25 PM PDT
Marie Gerber says:
PA hit it right on the head. I read all three books with the hope that there was going to be a real shocker at the end. So, she has a baby - end of story. Wow! and Oh My! Why did I hang in there? Who knows - it wasn't for the sex - or the writing - or the interesting characters (gag). Guess I was bored!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 10:09:16 AM PDT
Paul B says:
Even some NEW VULGARITIES would have been refreshing!! But the paucity of language skills keeps the terms repetitive!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 12:28:20 AM PDT
PA Grant says:
Exactly. I found myself skipping over almost all of the sex scenes about 2/3ds through the first book. Plus, it seems her only words she knew to describe events was either, "oh, crap!" or "Oh, my!" This woman has a very minimal language skill set and it is painfully pointed out in every page.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 4:46:23 PM PST
LaurieJoe says:
The writing and the intense lustful attraction reminded me of the Twilight series, It is fun, written in the limited immature tone of the young innocent who has fallen in love with the dark dangerous man, and the story line is the girl's emotional development.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 1:19:57 AM PST
Cris Monro says:
It's a bestseller simply because of the sex, which is present in about every chapter of the entire trilogy. It gets to be boring because the description and language are repetitive. It sells mostly to women who fantasize about being subdued by a controlling handsome man with an insatiable sexual appetite, but who among these female readers want to be whipped? I guess only a small minority are masochists. The author is a newbie, so we can perhaps accept the mistakes. However, there are a number of unanswered questions. For instance, how did Christian Grey amass such great wealth at 27? If Anastasia was a virgin, why was she knowledgeable about sex in her initial experience with Christian? I don't question her being a virgin at 22 because I know a lot of women who have chosen to preserve their virginity before marriage, but how can she deliberately throw herself at him just because he's terribly attractive? Its saving grace is in the dialogue when Christian expressed his dominance over her and Anastasia questioned him which I found amusing to a point. It would not have been that bad if the author had toned down the sexual exercises.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:04:03 PM PST
Cory Fisher says:
touch my sex

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 7:47:11 PM PST
LadyAnna says:
Marianne says, enough of the OH MYS, HOLY CRAP< WHAT????? and hearing about Christians body wash! Get real! Very boring after awhile the sex was always the same in all 3 books! It could have been all written in 1 book NOT 3! The e-mails these characters wrote back and forth to one another were as equally as boring. No originality to this series!I am very disappointed with the author, I expected so much more! I could have written a better versions!

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 7:47:53 PM PST
LadyAnna says:
Marianne says, enough of the OH MYS, HOLY CRAP< WHAT????? and hearing about Christians body wash! Get real! Very boring after awhile the sex was always the same in all 3 books! It could have been all written in 1 book NOT 3! The e-mails these characters wrote back and forth to one another were as equally as boring. No originality to this series!I am very disappointed with the author, I expected so much more! I could have written a better versions!

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 8:42:42 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 25, 2013 8:46:43 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2013 11:12:34 AM PDT
Jackie M says:
Well, it was originally written as Twilight fanfiction. It was called "Master of the Universe." Knowing that, you can pretty easily see parallels between Ana and Bella, Christian and Edward, Jose and Jacob, etc.

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 5:35:31 PM PDT
LadyAnna says:
i was never a "Twilight" fan but I know alot of people have said that it is compared to 50Shades so Im glad I didnt waste my time on Twilight! 50shades is still a big thorn in my side, there wasnt anything I liked about the trilogy, I thought book 2/3 would be better written but it wasnt at all! the sex, pursing of lips, spankings and whips and chains and Christian's body wash and how Ana climaxes on every page, and Christian's never ending "hard-on" was more than enough for this avid reader! I could have written a much better book myself! Very poorly written and a slap in the face to women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe they are making a movie out of this "SH*T!!!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2013 5:28:31 AM PDT
Cris Monro says:
I am a Twilight fan and I don't see its similarity to Shades. Even Stephenie Meyer does not accept this. It's only E. L. James who says this while riding on Twilight's success. The two books are of entirely different genres.

Yett A

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2013 3:57:24 PM PDT
PA Grant says:
I agree with Cris Monroe. This has absolutely no similarity to the Twilight Series. It is still a badly written piece of fluff which made a stir for a while, but since people have read it and stopped talking about it I highly doubt we'll ever hear from this author again.

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 6:01:14 PM PDT
LadyAnna says:
I hope youre right PA! It would really get under my skin if James ever came out with another disaster like 50shades! she certainly has taken alot of criticism over these horrific books which she rightfully deserves! They never should have printed this trash and thats exactly where I threw this book!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2013 2:32:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2013 2:37:25 PM PDT
Marie Gerber,

Please keep reading coz it is really worthwhile, I think about Mr. Grey 24/7 since I started reading book 1 and dreaming about him. I found myself grinning often when I remember something I read.

Laters, Marie
;o)

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 4:37:20 PM PDT
LadyAnna says:
I just started to watch Twilight, I know I am way behind,but it never really interested me before but I wanted to see why some people were saying Edward was like Christian! From what I watched I didnt see the comparison at all! Edward doesnt appear to be the "control freak" Christian was, maybe I just havent seen enough of Twilight yet! Also, I just read in a magazine that Patterson is thinking of playing the role of Christian Grey in the upcoming movie! He thinks it will boost his career and I think he's wrong! I believe it will damage it alot playing in such a terrible movie! Again, this is my opinion guys! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2013 8:26:08 PM PDT
Cris Monro says:
Christian and Edward are of different molds. Edward is definitely not a control freak. Rob Pattinson should not wish for the role of Christian Grey. He's a good actor and has the looks, but he doesn't exhibit Christian's description in my opinion. Playing Edward in a much loved series was good for his career, and I can't predict the same for him in the badly criticized Shades trilogy.

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 8:44:33 PM PDT
LadyAnna says:
I agree with you Cris 100% Pattinson is not a good choice to play Christian Grey or any other well known actor! This movie will be a disaster just like the books & I just can not fathom any good self-respecting actor and actress who would take a chance on their careers to do this crappy movie. They certainly dont need the money! I would never risk my reputation to do this box-office flop! :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fifty Shades Trilogy (Fifty Shades of Grey / Fifty Shades Darker / Fifty Shades Freed)
Fifty Shades Trilogy (Fifty Shades of Grey / Fifty Shades Darker / Fifty Shades Freed) by E. L. James (Paperback - June 12, 2012)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (12,890)