Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on August 24, 2013
A "deep" story which is good for culture discussion among students. Surprise ending--no spoilers! Using this book in the 4-6 gr classroom to go with "Old World History" and topic of how civilizations began. Excellent book. Quick read.
on February 22, 2005
I have listen to Emelia Earhart one,Searching for Davids Heart,nd right now this one. They are excellent!
on April 26, 2006
The Shadow of the Red Moon is a book that will keep you up way later than you're supposed to. This book might get you in trouble with your parents, because you won't want to stop reading at any point or time. I liked this book because it is really adventurous. The boy is trying to make it through the wilderness, and he is by himself until he finds two people that are going with him. So they can fulfill the dream their parents had for them ever since they were little. This book is a good book for people in 7th-12th grade. So I guarantee that "You Won't Want to Stop."
on June 30, 2008
Let me start off by saying that this book isn't like Walter Dean Myer's other books. Rather than being a story about urban life, this is a fantasy story that definitely takes place on another planet.

My first encounter with the book left me feeling moved from the cover illustration (my edition of the book has a boy curled up in the wilderness against a red moon) and the title was moving too. I know they tell you not to judge a book by it's cover, but I was pretty convinced that this was a good book by that point. And you know what? I was right.

In response to one of the reviewers here who claims that the book had boring parts, I say that I haven't found any boring parts. Even from the beginning of the book (which DID come with a bang!) I was feeling for the characters. The parts without action are when the main character is thinking about his past and therefore revealing more to the reader, or when the characters are bonding, and I always found that to be enjoyable to read.

I'm not sure what age group this book can be placed in. The delivery (vocabulary, grammar, etc.) is simple enough for a twelve year old to read, and that's how old I was the first time I read the book. However, upon re-reading the book at fifteen, I found that I could understand the book much better, and therefore become emotionally attached to it. I wouldn't say that the subject matter is for young kids. To me, any book dealing with the apocalypse, the plague, abandoned children, suffering and even a little bit of drugs isn't for kids.

Shadow of the Red Moon might be a little bit short, and I'm fully aware that Walter Dean Myers has written books that the critics have received better. But Shadow of the Red Moon certainly does not deserve to be out of print. It is an excellent book. To any Walter Dean Myers fan and even any fantasy fan, this book deserves a read from you. It might have been better if you had bought it while it was in print, because then we might have received an update on what the main characters are up to these days, but buy it anyways. You won't be disappointed!
on February 22, 2005
It rocks. The story in some parts has action, in others suspense, and other mysteries. This story is unlike any other. If you like history, mystery,or like suspense, I highly recommed this book.
on December 1, 2002
The book Shadow of the Red Moon by Walter Dean Myers was a book I don't recommend. That is because Walter Dean Myers I think is a better writer when he writes about the inner city urban community. This book had its ups and it had its downs. At some parts there would be a lot of action and at other you would get bored really easy. Myers made it unique making Jon be half Fen and half Okalian. He was half of the enemy and half of the endangered race of humans. The beginning came with a bang and made you want to read more which I liked a lot but after a little bit it would start going from action to boring and back to action then boring. I thought the book was really weird to do that. I also thought they should of changed Kyra's name to something else that matched his attitude. Like he said in page eighteen ""Go away!" The boy spit his words out angrily." I didn't agree with most of what the book said. It doesn't relate to one thing of real life because it is a fantasy book about prehistoric people. I definitely don't recommend this book to anyone because it doesn't have an exciting plot. I read this book because the cover persuaded me it looked like the name and the illustration had a powerful meaning. The book was at sometimes entertaining but I recommend another book that will keep you entertain during the whole time you read the book
on June 29, 2000
as Jon leaves the cristal city in search of the Okalian holy land he meats the many creatures of the wilderness including a black unicorn named shadow and the dreaded fens the enemies of his people