4.0 out of 5 stars Review from the book review blog, Book Faery
An interesting read. I, for the most part, found myself more invested with the romance between Declan and Alexia above all else. They had a connection that sucked me into their world, and their initial interactions seduced me into wanting more.

Published on June 30, 2010 by Tori

2.0 out of 5 stars Promising premise, but with pacing issues
In Meagan Hatfield's paranormal romance Shadow of the Vampire, Alexia is on the cusp of taking over the vampire horde from her mother. She's powerful, but her mother's adviser and fiance is far from excited about Alexia taking over. He leads the search for a crystal that will give the vampires total power.

The vampire's enemies are the dragons who live high in...
Published on August 2, 2010 by C. Mueller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Promising premise, but with pacing issues, August 2, 2010
C. Mueller (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow of the Vampire (Mass Market Paperback)

The vampire's enemies are the dragons who live high in the mountains. When dragon lord Declan is captured, Alexia is ordered to torture him for information on the crystal. Instead she falls in love. Something about him draws her to him over and over. He can't resist her either, even though he came to vampires to take revenge for his parents' deaths.

Hatfield writes vivid love scenes that keep readers rapt. Her attention to detail for all senses is notable and helps immerse the reader in the world she's created.

The strong cultures of both the vampires and dragons help paint an intriguing world for the characters of Shadow of the Vampire. One that, despite the book's flaws, I would be interested in seeing more of, with or without the same characters.

There were two things that held me back from truly enjoying Shadow of the Vampire. The first relates to characterization. We're given good background on the characters in the novel. This, of course, is a big plus. The problem comes in when some of their reactions don't ring true given said background. My real problem is that Alexia has been a victim of rape, yet early on reacts positively to the idea of being helpless during sex. Declan is sensitive to the idea and he's mindful of not being overbearing in that way, which fits with his character (and what readers want from him), but Alexia's reactions just don't fit. Later, sure, but from the get-go? No, I felt like Hatfield was just placating readers' enjoyment, mine included, of that type of interaction. The scene I'm referring to would have been great if I didn't already have this knowledge about our heroine's past.

Secondly, the book drags on a bit. Certain chapters, particularly toward the end of the novel, have prompt pacing but you had to work to get to them.

Shadow of the Vampire shows promise, strong characterization and Hatfield has the command of prose that can really grab readers, if you can get past the pacing issues.

This review was originally posted at [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising new series, July 11, 2010
This review is from: Shadow of the Vampire (Mass Market Paperback)
Why three stars after all these glowing reviews? There were some things that simply weren't answered that should have been for the first book in a series. This book read like the third or fourth book in an already establish story verse the very first. Three because there was no back story on dragons/vampires.

Declan: um....he was okay. He could have been wall paper. There was nothing extraordinary about him. He just was. The norm. He cared for the heroine, lusted after her, was in a emotional upheaval, had to fight against the odds, showed great valor when it comes down to it and knows how to take a beating! hmm, i think that's the same guy in EVERY book. M(r)s. Hatfield didn't delve enough into his psych to make him a memorable character for me. The only thing different was his name....

Alexis: I found her to be very weak when she was the author was trying to portray her as damage but fierce. She fell flat. She never came off strong to me even when she should have been. Yes, the villain, pretty much took away her strength but if she is some powerful being why couldn't she fight off or at the very least keep things from happening to her???

Aside: The mother was also BEYOND weak despite being the QUEEN and having UNTOLD powers...wtf? What happened to her had me scratching my head trying to understand if Lotharus was RIGHT and women had no reason to be on the throne.....She, like her daughter, were mere muppets that Lotharus easily controlled desipte Alexis have seened through him.

Lotharus: the villain. He was truly bad to the bone. One of the best villain I ever read. I tip my hat off to the author for him. His cruelty knew no bounds and he simply didn't care. He had a plan and he went for it. He probably was crazed but he still thought everything out carefully and didnt act rash. I wish there had been MORE insight onto why he believed the things he did although....

Secondary characters: eh. There have been better but she did bring them enough into the book that you could see who where getting there own books and who could possibly be interested. It wasn't at all overwhelming as JR Ward likes to do her secondary character where they become the focus. In fact, I think she should have flesh them out MORE because I cant say any of them sounded the least interesting to want to read their books as they find love '_'

Sex: Good! No complaint there.

Romance/Love: I appreciate that they didn't proclaim their love asap and started saying ily after three seconds. But they did fall into their 'romance' (if you will) way too easily. It was odd since they hate what the other stand for and hate each other upon principle yet they are in an uncompromising position within their first meeting. There was no push/pull and they had faith in the other so their romance was good.

Fight: This is a DARK paranormal romance. People are get beat up and its graphic. It not a fade to black type of writing...so if reading about people being hurt/abuse this is not for you

Plot: Interesting! The world building she did was intriguing and that's really the ONLY reason I would buy her next book is to find out what happens next within the story that is picking up in the next one. She didn't fully explain WHY the vamps hate the dragons and vice versa. They just do...ok.... In every series of this type (i.e. vamps against were, vamps against a society trying to kill them) its clear why they are fighting each other and what either side is hoping to gain. Which is what this story lacks. She didnt do enough back story for me to hate the vampire or to believe dragons are the good ones. Also, what makes a dragon lord? Meaning how do you become one? Is it having pure blood? Why was Declan's mother able to become a dragon after drinking the dragon king's blood? How did he know that could happen?

2.0 out of 5 stars Just Could Not get Into this Story, August 12, 2010
Traci King (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow of the Vampire (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read so many paranormal books that I can't find anymore space for them in my home. Why I decided to try a new author when I follow a dozen established ones I'll never know. Something about the story intrigued me. But the story never lived up to my expectations. The vampire/dragon saga did nothing for me. There was no background on the problems between these groups and no insight into the main character. Everything seemed too superficial and in the end I just didn't care. Perhaps I have too many characters in my head to make room for new ones, but I really think this author fails to make her stories and her characters believable. If you haven't read too many paranormals, give this author a try. Maybe I'm just missing something that the other reviewers found that would have made this story a worthwhile read.

3.0 out of 5 stars I will be reading book two!, October 8, 2010
This review is from: Shadow of the Vampire (Mass Market Paperback)
Declan Black has become Lord of the Dragons now that his parents have been killed by the vampires. He and his sister, Tallon, head into the catacombs to retrieve what is rightfully theirs, the Crystal of the Draco. Just has Declan has it in his claws, he's captured, allowing his sister to escape.

Alexia Feodorovna is the daughter of the queen. If she could retrieve the Crystal of Draco, she'd earn the respect of the horde. There's something standing in her way--a sexy dragon named Declan. Trouble descends upon both as Alexia realizes there is an enemy and it's not a dragon. The enemy is a vampire set on changing the way the horde has been ruled.

At first, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about mixing dragons and vampires, but Meagan Hatfield pulled it off in style. The story begins with an action scene and things quickly heat up between Declan and Alexia. Unfortunately the action doesn't stay at an intense level and lags in places, causing me to put the book down several times before finishing it. By the time I was three-quarters of the way in, I pretty much knew how it'd end.

Would I recommend this book? Sure. The parts that were good, were really, really, good. For me, the sizzle well made up for the lag and predictability. There were enough questions at the end to make me want to read the next book in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review from the book review blog, Book Faery, June 30, 2010
This review is from: Shadow of the Vampire (Mass Market Paperback)

As for most of the secondary characters, they fell a bit flat in the sense that they appeared slightly underdeveloped in the beginning. I understood the prejudices vamps and dragons had, but a lot of the dragons were just. I'm not sure. I never felt a need to learn more about them. I got tired of reading the scenes in their POV. In particular, I did not care for Tallon. She appeared intriguing in the initial stages of the book, but then her change--a change that I suppose is understandable due to the trauma her family has experienced thus far--made me dislike her. She came off as whiney and selfish at times, yet at the same time, she wasn't entirely. There was just something about her that was off....

Until around the last 50 pages in the book. It was at this point where something seemed to click in my head. Her anguish suddenly went from bratty and annoying to something I genuinely cared about. The descriptions Meagan used for the scene before Tallon goes to try and beat up her fellow dragon resonated within me. I think a lot of people can connect, on some level, with the anguish she was suffering from. THAT is what made her seem real to me, and that is what ultimately redeemed her in my eyes.

The action scenes tended to be a bit chaotic for my tastes--but fitting for the chaos that was occurring throughout story--and tended to drag on for a bit longer than necessary. Perhaps this is simply my preference speaking right now, but I'd rather it be short, sweet, and kick-ass, instead of slow, chaotic, and slightly confusing (from my perspective). I couldn't understand the motivation behind some of Alexia/Declan's decisions about halfway into the book when all hell breaks loose at the Horde's caves. It could just be that I was tired when I was reading this on my laptop, and maybe I would appreciate these scenes a bit more on paper... who knows.

Back to the romance: it was sweet. It was seductive. It had me giggling at times. I loved the scenes where Declan and Alexia meet, and then the one following in the dungeon, and then the one that concludes the story. The initial teaser successfully kept me hooked until the very end. Their relationship was bittersweet also. Suffice to say, I felt the connection between the two.

If you're into paranormal romances, if you like dragons, and if you like vampires, chances are, you will enjoy Shadow of the Vampire. Despite my initial reluctance, if this turns into a series, and if the next book is about Tallon (which I think it is), I would definitely be interested in checking it out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Twist on a Classic, September 3, 2010
Originally posted at: [...]

This was a paranormal twist on Romeo and Juliet, where a vampire and a dragon-shifter fall in love, even though their clans are in a war that has spanned centuries. Theirs is a destiny that neither could ever imagine. Can a vampire and dragon help their worlds merge together or will fate deal them a cruel hand?

Alexia, the vampire princess - destined to become queen of the horde, is a hard as nails, leather clad vampire vixen, and torturer extraordinaire. She never even realized that true love could exist until she met bronze-skinned, blue-eyed, dragon lord - Declan. Declan is caught by the temptress Alexia, and cannot believe that such a tiny vamp could be the one to finally chain him down in more ways than one. The first time that Alexia and Declan truly meet - she cannot believe that she could react so strongly to his sculpted and muscular body, when all she is ever used to seeing is the pale, sickly thin vampires surrounding her. As the first few scenes between the two lovers are revealed, their longing for each other and their frustrations of being from opposite sides of the war are evident and make you want to cheer for them to make it through this challenge.

The actual plot is quite intriguing as it reveals that there is a secret crystal that could change everything for good or bad. There are snippets of the history between the two clans throughout the novel, shown in memories and old writings that are discovered. It's just a matter of who will find and use the crystal first - for good or evil?

Meagan Hatfield has created the perfect villain in Lotharus, such a sneaky, vile and creepy thing that makes you cringe in every scene he has. Ms. Hatfield has also created some interesting supporting characters, Tallon, Griffon, and others, that seem to blossom in the last 50 pages of the novel, thus opening the story up to a sequel.

In the end, the sarcastic humour between characters, the super steamy scenes between our hero and heroine, and the perfection of the creepiest villain ever are the things that make up this tale of love, loss, and hope for the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss, January 30, 2011
This review is from: Shadow of the Vampire (Mass Market Paperback)
Shadow of the Vampire by Meagan Hatfield was a book that made both a positive and a negative impression on me. Parts of the book were very well-written, and other parts were cliche-ridden.

The main male character, the hero, is a dragon-man, a shapeshifter. I'll admit to a fascination with dragons that started in my early teen years with the first Pern book I ever read (though these dragons' resemblance to Pern dragons ends with the word dragon). Declan is a strong figure, physically attractive, and head of the dragon clan after his parents' deaths. He's full of angst over their manner of death and his unexpected ascendance as head of the clan.

Alexia is a 125 year old vampire, daughter of the current Queen, and heir-apparent. In some places, she's smarter than she appears to be, and in others, she's just dumb as a rock. I don't really understand why she puts up with Lotharus at all, except to appease her mother, whose "lover" he is. I wouldn't put up with that for MY mother....

There's a feud between dragons and vampires, a la Underworld's vampire/lycan struggle, and the background for this feud is scattered about in little bits and pieces, with not much organization. Ultimately, all I really understand is that the vampires hate the dragons and vice versa, with no real inkling as to why exactly this is so. Maybe there's a previous book or story I missed reading before this one.

The villain of the piece, Lotharus, is easy for me to hate, as he is abusive (verbally, physically, sexually) and a bigot. His secret plot to take over the vampire clan is threaded throughout the story, until the denouement decides his fate once and for all.

Alexia's mother, the Queen of the vampire clan, is mostly an afterthought tucked into chapters here and there, though she does play a major role in the climactic fight for "survival" of the clan.

The chemistry between Alexia and Declan fairly crackles, and this is a part of the book with which I'm pleased. Their growing care for each other, and the internal struggles each experiences, create obstacles with which most of us can identify from our own romantic hobgoblin-strewn past.

The most obvious place for my displeasure in this book is one single word: conscious. In no less than six places, this word is incorrectly used instead of conscience. As the daughter of an English teacher, I tend to see mistakes like this in blinking neon letters, and it not only irritates me that a mistake of this kind passed the editing process, but also these mistakes tend to take me out of the story in a highly abrupt manner. Thus does even an otherwise nearly perfect book lose a star, or even two, in my own personal rating system (not that this one was nearly perfect). No, I do not use the English language perfectly, though I do try to keep my errors in the spoken arena of use, rather than the written. I have high expectations of a published work, and this one fell down on the job. Conscious and conscience just aren't interchangeable in the English language, and the repetition of the mistake really chapped my hide.

Fight scenes are an obvious part of the plot, both between the dragons and the vampires, and internally amongst the vampire sects. For the most part, the fight scenes are well-written, though sometimes they do spring up from practically nowhere. The private scenes with Declan and Alexia are probably the most engaging, and there are enough to keep the reader interested in finding out how this relationship resolves in the end.

In this universe, dragons have powers, and sometimes those powers (such as telepathy) appear out of nowhere to move the overall arc forward, but in reality as a form of exposition. It's not overused, but often enough that I remember it.

One of the biggest wtf's (and yes, I am aware that is not proper English, lol) in this book is an entire chapter dedicated to Declan's sister, Tallon, and her newfound attraction to lone wolf Griffon. Had it been interwoven into the book from the beginning, it might have worked. As written, though, one single chapter in the middle of nowhere, it stuck out like a sore thumb, and did nothing whatsoever to impact the plot in any way. It deserves its own story, not being stuffed into the middle of Declan's, particularly as this chapter shows Tallon and Griffon dancing around her sprung-out-of-nowhere attraction, and finally falling into a fairly hot love scene. Turn the page, and we're back to Declan and Alexia.

Bottom line: I enjoyed parts of this book, but none of it was really memorable beyond reading, with the exception of the word conscious and the fact that the villain was an abuser. I remembered those two points! In order to write this review, I had to open the book a couple of dozen times to random pages and rescan to remember names or plot points. If you like dragons or vampires or feuds or paranormal in general, you might enjoy this book. If you read with a critical eye, you will probably not enjoy this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vampires and Dragons! Oh My!, November 8, 2010
This review is from: Shadow of the Vampire (Mass Market Paperback)
Vampires and Dragons, oh my! Two types of paranormal creatures that are always hot and sexy! The cover is what attracted my attention to this book though. The pose and lighting were sensual and breathtaking! It screamed for me to give it a try. After reading the summary as well, I knew I had to give it a try.

This book had promise from the first chapter. I was intrigued and curious to see the struggle between Vampires and Dragons. In this book they are enemies and both searching for a crystal that will either destroy the races or control them. With Alexia on the verge of becoming Queen of the Vampires, she is in a race to find it before Declan, King of the Dragons, has a chance to find it. With a Queen who is being brainwashed, a vampire daughter who is falling in love with the King of Dragons, the Queens fiancee who is evil and a bunch of side characters who can hold their own, you slowly become invested in reading the entire book.

I did however, have some disappointments with the story. For one, there is a part of the story that focus' on rape. I didn't like this part of the book even though I understand the need for it in the story. To me, it wasn't executed well, and Alexia didn't portray what you would expect with rape. I also felt the book dragging in a lot of the chapters. I wanted it to pick up the pace and get moving again. At times, the story was a bit repetitive and could have been cut out of the book without any damage to the story.

I did however, like the writers writing style. She has great talent in writing in this genre if she could just cut some things out of the stories to where the readers don't feel like they have read the same thing twice within a few chapters.

Overall, I liked the story, but I didn't love the story either. I am looking forward to reading about the other characters in the book in the future, yet not as excited as I should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful romantic fantasy, July 1, 2010
This review is from: Shadow of the Vampire (Mass Market Paperback)
The vampires butchered his parents leaving Declan as the new dragon lord of his shapeshifter clan. Like his late mom and dad, Declan makes a desperate attempt to obtain the Crystal of the Draco his brood needs to survive and avenge the death of his parents. The new king fails and is captured by his enemy.

Locked away until the heir to the vampire throne can torture him like she did his parents, Declan fears the worst for his people. However instead of harming him, the century plus old vampiress Alexia offers to help him if he helps her. She fears her mother's lover Lotharus has somehow gained control of her mom the queen, who is slowly dying and to save her, Alexia turns to Declan. He feeds from her and finds he obsesses over having more from her. Both remain unaware that Lotharus has plans for the heir once he completes his destruction of the current queen.

This is a wonderful romantic fantasy due to the relationship between the lead couple lovers. Declan is confused as he falls in love with the female he believes tortured and killed his parents. Alexia knows he is her fist chance to overcome the deadly control of Lotharus, but he distrusts her more then she does him. Dragons and vampires do not mate let alone sleep with the enemy. Although the fantasy elements at times are overwhelmed by the star-crossed "mile high" romance, sub-genre readers will believe we are soaring with dragonshifters.

Harriet Klausner

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovin' Me Some Vampire vs. Dragons!, July 1, 2010
My Review:

Alexia Feodorovna is just two days away from ascending the throne as Queen of her vampire horde but the occasion is destined to be a somber one. Mercilessly abused by her mother's lover and first in command, Lotharus, Alexia's ascension hangs in the balance as he strives to overthrow not only her upcoming rule but their entire way of life as well. What Alexia needs to facilitate and secure her position within the horde as Queen is the Crystal of the Draco, a rock prophesized to grant its owner pure undiluted power. Unfortunately, only her millennium-long rival knows where the stone is hidden for after all, it is he that stole it. Luckily, Alexia's successfully captured the thief, Dragon Lord Declan Black, and she'll use all means necessary to retrieve the intelligence she so desperately requires.

After the recent torture and murder of his parents - the dragon King and Queen - whilst in the hands of the vampires, Declan hopes to decimate his enemies once and for all with the Crystal of the Draco but he never planned on getting caught himself. Now, as the last remaining full-blooded dragon heir, Declan is needed desperately by his flock. Instead, he's shackled deep within the Horde's dungeons plagued by pondering thoughts that involve nothing of escape but rather of the lithe blond vampire who captured him. While he strives to hate the little female, her sadness reaches deep within his battered soul igniting a fiercely primal need to possess and protect. Together, he and Alexia form a forbidden bond within the darkly oppressive catacombs of her home, soothing each others aches and fears. When it becomes obvious that Lotharus has horrifically abused Alexia, Declan can only see a haze of red rage at the mention of the detested vampire's name. Confused, Declan grapples with the fact that where he once sought to destroy the vampires for revenge, he now only burns to avenge Alexia and the foul treatment she's bravely endured.

Pulsing with a dark menace, Lotharus is an evil villain of the worst kind, one with a dangerous strategy as well as all the patience in the world. Working to eradicate the vampires horde's current matriarchal society, Lotharus's evil intelligence has succeeded in isolating both the Queen and Alexia, allowing him complete control. Once his carefully laid plans reach fruition, both of the hated females will be dead and he'll reign as King - the first King of the Vampires to rule in over a millennium. But the Dragon Lord Declan poses a problem. Like Alexia, Lotharus must have the crystal to secure control over the horde as well as granting him the means to destroy the Queen and Alexia. Everything has been running in Lotharus's favor until Alexia befriends Declan. Wary of the potentially dangerous alliance, Lotharus is quick to punish Alexia but he needs Declan to locate the crystal before he can put the detested dragon down.

Torn between her destiny and her heart, Alexia's awaiting loneliness once Queen is unbearable to even contemplate. Knowing that in two days time she'll never be able to touch Declan again, Alexia relishes in their stolen moments of passion for they'll have to sustain her soul for a lifetime. Still determined to save her horde from the ruthless Lotharus despite Decaln's wish that she become his Queen, Alexia grasps what's left of her tattered strength and prepares to fight for her birthright, leaving Declan behind with the gift of her heart. Hoping for a miracle, Alexia resolves to take back what's hers and end the Dragon/Vampire War forever.

My Thoughts:

SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE is a dark and dangerous tale of forbidden love. Penning gruesome torture and soaring love with an awe inspiring balance, Ms. Hatfield fearlessly guides her characters along a journey that's destined to shred and reshape the very fabric of their souls.

Declan, a strong and virulent character who's absolutely fearless, follows his heart while questioning little over its strange direction. I really enjoyed this about him. He doesn't fight his feelings too hard and soon he's grasping hold of Alexia with all his might. This of course makes his inability to protect Alexia from Lotharus while in captivity all the more frustrating and just a little bit terrifying.

Just as strong as her hero, Alexia refuses in any way to shirk her duty even though it means she'll be giving up Declan forever. With Lotharus at the helm of her horde, Alexia must severe his position for to not would mean entrusting her people to a madman. Her decisions aren't easy and I empathized greatly with Alexia's plight.

Finally, the worldbuilding was just enough to be interesting but never overwhelming. SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE is very much a character driven plot with the focus being nearly entirely upon Declan's and Alexia's relationship. Overall, a lovely balance with no plot holes to plunge into or head scratching questions at the end. A nice read, not the best, but entertaining with an added touch of anxious excitement for what's hopefully soon to come.

For paranormal romance lovers that enjoy minimal worldbuilding, a character driven plot, and a strong can-take-anything-that-comes-at-'em hero and heroine, then SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE is the read you've been hungering for. Enjoy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa34b69c)

Shadow of the Vampire
Shadow of the Vampire by Meagan Hatfield (Mass Market Paperback - July 1, 2010)
$7.99 $7.19