Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on January 26, 2012
There is a lot of tragedy in this book. The book opens with Noelle Hueston's running from a Murder robbery. She takes a terrible fall and ends up with a head injury and amnesia. She doesn't know her son's Kirby or Kyle or her husband Eli.
Three years ago there was another robbery and a double murder...Eli and Noelle 17 year old daughter Kelsey, and Kelsy's best friends Dad is also killed. The toll of this puts a big strain on their twenty-five year marriage. So when Noelle doesn't remember them he makes a decision not to tell her about Kelsey.
There is so much action in this book that I read this in one day! You need to get to the end to find out the answers, much is answered, but I still have a few unanswered. The book will want to make you move to Deep Haven MN, and embrace this wonderful God loving people.
I recommend this awesome read!

I was provided with an e-book by Tyndale House Publishing, and was not required to give a positive review.
on August 18, 2012
I'm sorry, but I can't help but love a novel that has Susan May Warren on the cover as the author! Her books make me cry, laugh, smile...sometimes all at once! I've been a huge fan for a very long time...but no book has touched my heart like "The Shadow of Your Smile".

I can't imagine 'forgetting' my husband, my family, over two decades of my life, but that's what happens to Noelle. A freak accident that ultimately puts her life at risk changes everything...question is, does it change for the better, or for the worse?

This story has a LOT to say about keeping secrets in a marriage. Even the most innocent of details can be used by the enemy to twist into something with the potential to destroy the strongest relationship. When cracks are already in the foundation, be prepared for some heavy structural damage when the truth comes out!

Eli is a sweetheart...but he spends part of the story being rather dense. I kept wanting to yell at him, "Don't you see what you're DOING?"...even though he isn't real. He could be, though. I could be sitting near him in church...or sleeping next to him every night.

We must love sincerely, communicate effectively, forgive quickly, and allow God to heal us infinitely. We live in a harsh and cruel world, and we need each other to make it through to the other side with as few battle scars as possible. Sometimes those closest to us inflict the deepest wounds...and are the hardest to forgive.

"The Shadow of Your Smile" will stay with me a long, long time. This is story that resonates in a woman's soul, and will change her for the better. My only wish is that SOMEONE would take note of Susan's excellent novels and make some seriously great movies!

I received my copy of "The Shadow of Your Smile" by participating in Tyndale Publishing's Summer Reading Program. This book is so highly recommended, I'm giving it the Golden Bookmark for Writing Excellence.
on January 14, 2012
I'll say it right up front: Susan May Warren is one of may favorite authors. Her plots are always well-developed, her characters draw me in and her stories stay with me after I reach "The End."
I've enjoyed the continuation of The Deep Haven series and The Shadow of Your Smile is now one of my favorite books in that series.
The story encompasses family -- families, actually -- broken up by senseless tragedy. The question: Is all hope lost? Can relationships be salvaged or is it best to let once-cherished memories be forgotten?
Susan May Warren asks these questions in an emotion-packed plot. Even as I turned pages, caught up in fictional characters' lives, I wondered how I would react to these situations, these heart aches, these unexpected chances for do-overs.
I also enjoyed reading the Author's Notes at the end of the book that revealed SMW's reasons for writing The Shadow of Your Smile.
VINE VOICEon July 28, 2012
It's been a while since I read Susan May Warren's previous Deep Haven novels. But I've always really enjoyed her writing. I wasn't disappointed with this newest Deep Haven novel, In the Shadow of Your Smile.

Noelle and Eli have a rough marriage. Since the murder of their daughter, they have been distanced and struggling. But when Noelle hits her head during a robbery, she loses all memory of their marriage and family. This gives them an opportunity to start again. Meanwhile their oldest son, Kyle, is struggling to figure out his need to be a police officer in Deep Haven and his growing attraction to his sister's friend from high school.

I enjoy Susan May Warren's stories. Her characters are deep, never shallow, and they are real people with thoughts and feelings and imperfections. I have a hard time with characters who are always sweet and good. It just smacks of unreality to me. But Warren's characters are always real, with flaws and struggles and doubts. There is enough good food for spiritual thought here without preaching. And I can read and walk away, having been entertained and moved.

I give this one a strong 4 stars and a PG rating for some suspense and violence.
on December 27, 2012
The Shadow of Your Smile is the second Deep Haven novel I've read (the first being book six, You Don't Know Me). I know, I'm reading them out of order, but it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the stories so far.

I loved The Shadow of Your Smile! It was different than the majority of books I've read, as the main characters were already married. I seem to love stories where a character loses his/her memory and this one was no different. I found it very interesting to read the Hueston's story as Noelle struggles to regain her memory and reenter her life. I also loved the subplot romance between two of the characters.

I found The Shadow of Your Smile to be very realistic and just a really great read. Even though there was one thing I didn't like, overall it was still too good to give it any less than 5 stars. :) I look forward to reading more Deep Haven novels in the future.

*I received a complimentary eBook copy of this book for my review. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*
on March 23, 2012
There are times when we wish we could forget the past and start afresh. But would we really want forget, to lose those memories that have helped shape us?

Throughout life, we all face times of trial which test us in many ways, from our faith to our relationships. Trials which make us stronger-or tear us apart.

Noelle Hueston faced such a trial. In the three years that followed, her marriage disintegrated. Noelle and her husband Eli lived separate lives, becoming nothing more than two barely compatible roommates. While Eli spent most of his time away from home, Noelle rediscovered a love she had given up early in their marriage. Ready to finally move on with her life, Noelle set a plan in motion. She just had to wait five months until their youngest child graduated. She never counted on a second life-changing trial to strike.

As the result of an accident, Noelle wakes in hospital believing she is a college student and awaits her parents to come collect her. Instead she finds a middle aged man by her bedside claiming to be her husband. Her last tangible memory is coming out of class--25 years ago.

Unable to recollect the past 25 years of her life, Noelle struggles to accept she is a middle-aged housewife and mother of two. How did her life turn out so differently from her college dreams? And what happened to cause such a chasm between her and Eli?

Noelle isn't the only one struggling to adjust. On the verge of giving up on their marriage, Eli now faces the choice of helping his wife rebuild the memories she has lost, or keep her from remembering the things which tore them apart. Does a chance of resurrecting their marriage really mean he has to keep the most precious and most painful of her memories a secret?

The Shadow of Your Smile is one of those bittersweet novels which will continue to live in your mind long after you've read the last page. Noelle and Eli's struggles are realistic and compelling. In today's world, where divorce is so common, it is easy to give up and move on without really facing the tough issues. Warren uses Noelle and Eli's struggle to remind us that marriage is never easy. We need to continue to work on our relationship and be open and honest with our spouse, no matter how painful it might be.

Warren's heart-warming story reaches past Noelle and Eli to several supporting characters and subplots which are equally as riveting. We journey with them as they learn to love, grieve, and move forward after great loss. Warren's gift of weaving storylines with rich characterisations and spiritual truths creates a page turning masterpiece.

Although I hate to admit it, I hadn't realised Warren had extended her Deep Haven series beyond the first three books, which I had read and loved almost a decade ago. I was thrilled to receive The Shadow of Your Smile and discover the small lakeside community still provided a backdrop for Warren's powerful yet entertaining prose.
on February 4, 2012
I have to admit that I wasn't really excited about this book when I first read the description. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but, I was quite wrong!

I LOVED this book. In fact, I cried, smiled, laughed all as my heart broke again and again for the loss in these characters lives.

Loss that came blessedly with healing, joy and the faithfulness of a loving God.

I'm so glad that I read this book and I was incredibly pleased with the story line, the plot, the characters and the way the author wove together mystery with romance and heartbreak.

Susan May Warren did a wonderful job telling the stories of the many devastated and healing characters in the book.

Book Description:

A beautiful blanket of snow may cover the quaint town of Deep Haven each winter, but it can't quite hide the wreckage of Noelle and Eli Hueston's marriage. After twenty-five years, they're contemplating divorce . . . just as soon as their youngest son graduates from high school. But then an accident erases part of Noelle's memory. Though her other injuries are minor, she doesn't remember Eli, their children, or the tragedy that has ripped their family apart. What's more, Noelle is shocked that her life has turned out nothing like she dreamed it would. As she tries to regain her memory and slowly steps into her role as a wife and mother, Eli helps her readjust to daily life with sometimes-hilarious, sometimes-heartwarming results. But can she fall in love again with a man she can't remember? Will their secrets destroy them . . . or has erasing the past given them a chance for a future?

Now, I just need to get my hands on the other Deep Haven novels! I know I would love them!!
on January 26, 2012
What would it be like to not remember how you got to where you were? That is what Noelle is about to discover when she is in a bad accident that on the outside leaves very few injuries but on the inside she can not remember the last twenty five years of her life. Her husband Eli, their children and the tragedy from three years ago are gone from her mind and now she needs to figure out who she is, who they are and what happened. Secrets will be uncovered and in the end trust and faith is what they need for healing to begin.

The Shadow of Your Smile is book five in Susan May Warren's popular Deep Haven series and while I have not read the others (which now I can not wait to do so) I was able to enjoy this story. It was have been nice to have read the others so I would know all the back stories and would get that feeling like I was visiting with dear friends. Susan May Warren is a very gifted storyteller and draws the reader in with an intriguing plot filled with characters that will make you both laugh and cry. This book is filled with hope, rediscovery, love, faithfulness and trust. So many lessons can be learned by reading this book. As much as I loved this book it is not for everyone. This is not a light and fluffy book, it deals with some tough issues: loss of a child, divorce, amnesia and more. I give this book a solid 5 stars!

*I received this book through Litfuse for the purpose of this review.
*Book Description*

Noelle and Eli Hueston's relationship has seemed to have reached the end of it's rope...after 25 years together. When a tragic accident occurs and part of Noelle's memory is lost, the only thing she remembers is how she used to dream of her life turning out. Her husband and son were never really part of the plan and Noelle begins to realize how far from her dream her life has turned out. Viewing her husband as the old, tired grouch he's turned out to be, Noelle is horrified to realize she's married to him. Will their relationship ever be the same as it once was, back when they were young and in love? Or will Eli lose his one true love forever?

Struggling with the death of her best friend, Emma Nelson is desperately trying to find the songs and lyrics of her heart once more. When Kyle, a dear long lost friend, shows up in the most unexpected of places can she-with his help-find herself in the midst of tragedy and learn to love again?

*What I liked*

I loved all the characters in this story. Susan did a fabulous job of intertwining two precious stories on romance of faith and yet they were separate. The cover knows what's up with this book too!

*What I didn't like*

I was supposed to not like something?! Oh! Well then I guess I could say, if you're looking for a light read...leave this one on the shelf until next time. But READ it!!

*My Rating*

~My Rating is 5 stars~

*My Overall Opinion*

The Shadow of Your Smile by Susan May Warren is a heart wrenching, inspiring romance novel on love, grief, and staying together no matter what.
on October 12, 2013
Susan May Warren’s book, The Shadow of Your Smile is the second in the Deep Haven series (well, third if you count Tying the Knot in the number, which you really should. These books could be read out of order as characters from other novels are not of paramount importance and only provide more of the local color of the town in which the books are based.
Noelle Hueston has been married to Eli for 25 years. The marriage fell apart after the tragic murder of their 17 year old daughter, Kelsy. Eli blames himself for Kelsy’s death, as well as that of a fellow officer who was killed that day as well. Kelsy’s friend Emma also carries a weight of guilt from that night too. This one death destroyed so many dreams and those left behind struggle in their faith.
Noelle has an accident that results in amnesia and she loses 25 years of her life. Could this really be the man she married? Those are her two boys? Why did she give up her dreams of painting? And how did she get fat?
Eli struggles to care for and protect his wife who he had drifted away from. He had begun an emotional affair with the fallen officer’s wife, Lee. Can he mend his broken marriage? Could the amnesia be a gift in that his wife is no longer trapped in her grief?
Emma is struggling as a musician. She had been a partner of Kelsy’s in music and she feels like she lost her one chance to do anything good. Kelsie’s brother, Kyle, who she had always had a crush on, shows up and rescues her from a brawl. Passion ignites but can they overcome the spectre of Kelsy’s death and the damage it has done to their families?
The killer who had inadvertently caused Noelle’s injury is still on the loose and doesn’t know that Noelle lost her memory. Will he strike again? Can her son, Kyle, now a deputy, solve the murder? Can Eli protector her if the murder strikes again? Can Noelle find a new life in spite of her amnesia and fall in love again with the man she married?
Once again, Susan writes a complex tale filled with emotion and depth and the interconnectedness of the two many romance plots. Well done!