5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Better!!
Simply put, the greatest movie soundtrack of all time. No other soundtrack has seemlessly tied together a storyline, mood and the time it was released. It's a lyrical painting of urban America in the 70s. And the opening cymbal/wah-wah guitar combo has NEVER been matched. Think about it. What other classic is immediately recognizable within the first five or ten seconds...
Published on December 7, 2003 by Paul J. Pacelli

2.0 out of 5 stars A steep slide downhill after the first track
What a disappointment! After the iconic, slippery-smooth title song, most of the rest of the CD is just middle-of-the-road elevator music. If you're looking for a great blaxploitation soundtrack, get the 25th anniversary edition of Curtis Mayfield's Superfly, or Across 110th Street, with Bobby Womack's brilliant vocal.
Published on November 20, 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars that 70's feeling, November 19, 2008
This review is from: Shaft: Music From The Soundtrack (1971 Film) (Audio CD)
shaft is a bad mother,you dig ? a great soundtrack. very emotional for me. i was a teenager at that time. the greatest times of my life. disco was about to hit the waves, great stars, great everything. i've met isaac hayes twice. a cool, great guy. i saw shaft in the movies at that time at times square for $ 1.25 including another movie with pam grier( my big crush). everyone, enjoy. ****

5.0 out of 5 stars you're damn right, September 26, 2002
Sherance M. Brothers (Jasper, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shaft: Music From The Soundtrack (1971 Film) (Audio CD)
I love this whole cd a classic and love the movie as well the highlight is the 19 minute version of do your thing where the barkays switch from the regular formula to some funkadelic...man dude on guitar thinks he's maggot brain 4real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pieces of dreams......, July 8, 2001
This review is from: Shaft: Music From The Soundtrack (1971 Film) (Audio CD)
For starters, I rarely purchase soundtracks. Why? For the simple fact that there are generally two, perhaps three worthwhile songs and the rest is simply filler. It's almost inevitable! I've never felt as though I'm truly getting my money's worth. Until....
For those of you who may not be aware, the soundtrack to Shaft holds much more than just a terrific title track. Isaac Hayes has put together a wonderful assortment of songs that count for much more than just "mood music." Each song stands on it's own merits as being very melodic and distinctive. You can call it smooth jazz or even easy listening although if you do I honestly think you're missing out on what Mr. Hayes was trying to accomplish.This is simply music that's well-constructed and performed by some of the best musician's that Stax had to offer. And, other than the lengthy "Do Your Thing", every track is played to perfection. I, for one, cannot understand how anyone who enjoys mature, well-crafted music (I won't bother to try and catgorize the style) could see this as nothing less than Mr. Hayes offering us some of the best of what he has to offer. It's up to each of us to attempt to understand what the artist is trying to say and accept it on it's own terms.
In closing, while I make a point of not telling consumers to go out and purchase a certain disc I will make an exception in this case. All the disc asks is you keep an open-mind and simply enjoy the music as it was intended. True, not exactly ground-breaking Soul music but... simply pieces of dreams.
Thank-You.....

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Must Have a Soundtrack Album..., June 10, 2000
This review is from: Shaft: Music From The Soundtrack (1971 Film) (Audio CD)
"Shaft" is the one to have! No other film score has so captured the pulse of the times as Isaac Hayes' Academy Award-winning masterpiece. Besides the oh-so-popular theme song, other outstanding cuts are "Cafe Regio's,"Soulsville," and "Do Your Thing."
I pulled up the profile of the soundtrack of the new film and saw that it features a variety of current R & B and rap stars. That says to me that they need several artists to do the job that one master did.
Settle for no substitute. Buy the original!

5.0 out of 5 stars do your thing.., May 30, 2000
This review is from: Shaft: Music From The Soundtrack (1971 Film) (Audio CD)
not only is the theme one of the best wah -wah songs ever-but the nearly 20 minutes of do your thing is my most favorite jam ever-i wonder if the new soundtrack will compete-probably not since the 70's are over and you cant duplicate that era

5.0 out of 5 stars A Groovy Soundtrack album for a groovy movie!!, December 30, 2005
Matt Tawesson (Macomb, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shaft: Music From The Soundtrack (1971 Film) (Audio CD)
This Shaft soundtrack album from 1971 is obviously one of the best selling albums ever in the history of American music (and, I believe, one of the best selling albums released by Stax Records back then). This title made Isaac Hayes (aka "Black Moses") a mega superstar upon its release, due to the title theme, which is the first track on this album. It has an unforgettable intro sound, and the song lasts for barely over four and a half minutes, with Isaac's vocals lasting only for about one minute (or slightly more) halfway through the song. He only sang on three of the songs on this album (the title theme, "Soulsville", and "Do Your Thing"), with the remaining twelve songs being instrumental incidental music from the movie. Some of the other songs on this album are quite good. "Bumpy's Lament", "Shaft's Cab Ride" (which only lasts barely over one minute), "Ellie's Love Theme" (with its soft, easy listening sound that sounds like a song to slow dance to), "Soulsville" (this one containing a sax), "Early Sunday Morning", "Shaft Strikes Again", and the funky track, "Do Your Thing" (which is the longest song on the soundtrack album, clocking in at almost 20 minutes) (!!) and "The End Theme", which is almost two minutes long, playing at the closing credits of the movie. This is the album to get. I first heard the "Shaft" theme years ago when I was little (on a 45 that my mother had years before, not on the soundtrack album), and I consider it the first Stax recording that I listened to. I got the movie for my 24th birthday (in April, '04), and really liked it a lot. Before I got the movie for my birthday that year, I had never seen it ever on TV; not even on the Encore channel! I only knew the title theme and some of those other songs that I mentioned before I got the movie. It is really incredible and quite enjoyable. I highly recommend seeing the movie and getting this album, if you have not already done so. Very groovy! Kudos to Isaac Hayes for his wonderful voice and a good job that he did singing on this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Iconic music!, June 11, 2014
This review is from: Shaft: Music From The Soundtrack (1971 Film) (Audio CD)
One night, when Shaft first came out, this was the only music we had to dance to. We loved it! All night! Such memories. And a great musician!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaft Soundtrack(1971 Film), April 19, 2014
This review is from: Shaft: Music From The Soundtrack (1971 Film) (Audio CD)
What can I say? we've talking about Shaft!!! Isaac Hayes'soundtrack to the baddest mutha...shut your mouth..private eye brings the movie to life with the music. I vividly remember each scene from a song. This is a must have in anyone's music collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shaft CD, April 12, 2014
This review is from: Shaft: Music From The Soundtrack (1971 Film) (Audio CD)
Thank you for the CD. It arrived in a timely manner. I gave it 4 stars because I love the CD but I'm wondering is this a new CD. I ordered it as new. It didn't come with shrink wrap on it nor did it have the tape at the top all new CD's have. The song on #13 tract skips. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Wonder He Won an Oscar!, March 4, 2014
This review is from: Shaft: Music From The Soundtrack (1971 Film) (Audio CD)
The soundtrack of "Shaft" was and is so impressive that when Sammy Davis, Jr. first heard it he fell in love with it. It varied music sets the pace for the entire movie. From the unforgettable theme to the soft romantic pieces Issac Hayes puts you in the mood!

Shaft: Music From The Soundtrack (1971 Film)
Shaft: Music From The Soundtrack (1971 Film) by Shaft (Related Recordings) (Audio CD - 2013)
Rate and Discover Movies