Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shakuhachi Meditation Music
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 6, 1998
Richardson's compilation echoes the ancient, haunting melodies of the zen masters with such clarity the result is an unparalleled masterpiece of modern meditation music. His compositions display understanding of the nuances of meditative arts, blending distinctive sound and silences that would lead any listener to a calmer state of mind.
This reviewer is grateful for meditation music that is what it says it is--uncluttered and calming.
Perfect for t'ai chi, meditation practice, or peaceful relaxation.
0Comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2005
...and to my thinking, perfect either for meditation or for just relaxing. Given the objections offered by one reviewer below, that the pieces on this recording are too much alike, I would respectfully and gently suggest that meditation and relaxation are two very different things -- if the music one uses for meditation draws too much of one's attention, then real meditation is difficult to achieve. If, on the other hand, the purpose of the music is for relaxation, then more attention may be paid to it without sacrificing the result.

For either purpose, this recording is excellent. Richardson's playing is warm and flowing, coming from a place deep within the performer -- this never sounds like some Westerner dipping his toe into the pool of Eastern methods and techniques. Rather, it resonates completely with the total immersion of the performer in the musical traditions. The melodies are transporting, offering images of crystalline beauty like the birds depicted in the cover painting -- and like so many things associated with Zen, and with Buddhism in general, less is truly more.

This two-disc set is a treasure at a single-disc price -- there are over 140 minutes of music here. Not a single note is wasted, nor offered without the simplicity and honesty that makes our hearts and souls echo in peaceful reply.

Highly recommended.
on May 19, 2001
This is by far the best Zen music disc I've purchased. Most Shakuhachi music is made up of short, sharp bursts from the flute and gasps for air from the flutist, and most of those bursts don't add up to a good tune (in my opinion). In contrast, all the tunes in this album flow like water, without being at all Yanni-like. I especially like the second disc, and I listen to it at work to calm me down, especially when I'm doing some problem solving.
on July 26, 2006
I am no expert in the music of the Shakuhachi, but I thoroughly enjoy this CD. I find the music to be relaxing and peaceful, though I'm not sure if people actually 'meditate' to this type of music (if I remember correctly, the performance of the music is more of a meditation exercise than the listening, but I'm no expert in meditation either). The pace is slow, and the music can easily set the tone for a nice relaxing afternoon, or for winding down at the end of the day. If that's what you're looking for, this CD may be for you.
on September 12, 2007
I am a yoga teacher and use this CD for restorative yoga and savasana. It's the only CD I've tried that takes the mind inside rather than to focus on the music. I love it and highly recommend it.
on May 10, 2008
Wonderfully calming, I play it simply for meditation. From the beautiful and artsy cover to the the 2 CD set, the music brings me home. On those days that I just can't calm my mind I sit on my cushion turn on the CD and I am transported to another place, "Querencia"... I play Native American Flute and my inner song plays the NAF like it's a Shakuhachi(which takes mastering, much more difficult than NAF)....sounds even better on my Bose System...this was a blind buy for me I found it on Soundstrue.com several years ago and heard a sampeling and bought it....best money spent.
VINE VOICEon March 26, 2001
Meditation doesn't yet come easily to me, and this recording does much in lifting me out of myself into a new state of consciousness. It's as if I become the music and the music becomes me. Highly recommended.
on March 21, 2014
I use this CD in my office (I own a Sports/Massage Therapy Studio) to help relax my clients/patients and they love it!!! I will use this CD for years!!! Thank you!!! Soft and soothing!!! An excellent purchase!!!!! I plan to purchase more CDs within this genre. Excellent!!! Again, thank you!!!!
on August 25, 2013
I purchased this CD as an aid to doing my Tai Chi practices. It is perfect for it but would also work if only doing seated meditation. I love the sound of the shakuhachi flute & find the tonal qualities to be quite soothing. This is a good one for relaxation.
on September 2, 2006
I am a huge fan of Eckhart Tolle. He has this music playing as the opening to some of his live talks. I have seen this on video. He has this music recommeded on his website.

This music is hauntingly beautiful , as another reviewer said, without alot of overlay to get caught up in.

Perfect for unwinding, playing in the background to make any activity a meditation.

Love it.