Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 28, 2016
It's a comedy with a lesson. Love it!
on August 3, 2014
A comedy that reflects peoples perception of over weight people. How he gets hypnotized to seeing peoples good and not their imperfections. How love triumphs and love is blind.
VINE VOICEon April 18, 2006
I'll admit I was not that enthusiastic about this movie when I first saw it--I thought that Hal seeing those unattractive women as looking like models was a painful reminder of how narrow the standards of beauty for women are; that Hal was only attracted to these women because they looked like models to him under Tony Robbin's hypnosis. Then I kept watching it and saw what the Farrelly Brothers were trying to get across. This movie grew on me, and each time I watched it, I liked it more and more. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder, and in Hal's eyes, the physically unattractive become beautiful, whereas the physically beautiful become unattractive (Nurse Peil, for example).

I love the fact that the Farrellys always have unusual characters in their movies, and they use actors with physical or mental disabilities with great sensitivity that really add to the story. Such characters add interest to the film and it's refreshing to see actors that look like ordinary folks instead of the the pretty boys and anorexic, unrealistically beautiful women so prevalent in most Hollywood films.

The story has been already told by other reviewers, so I will say that Jack Black, Gwynyth Paltrow, and Jason Alexander do a great job as the main characters. It is a charming story, very upbeat and enjoyable to watch. Hal starts off being shallow and obnoxious but redeems himself in the end. It is Hal's progress from superficial buffoon to a decent, actually nice guy that's so enjoyable to watch.
on January 23, 2016
One of the funniest movies ever made
on August 6, 2012
This is probably the best Jack Black movie there is - it has an excellent story and plot line, and is very well done. Gwyneth Paltrow does her character extremely well.
on November 4, 2003
When "Dumb and Dumber" got so much publicity I, foolishly, decided to watch it. I never knew going to the movies could be so anguishingly boring and embarrassing at the same time. I actually walked out.
After that I naturally despised those directors. But something about the trailer of this film made me go see it.
And it really touched my heart. It's a good movie about good people, but at the same time the most opposite thing to "The Sound of Music" imaginable. It's a movie that makes you feel good about rooting for the actual good guys of real life - not super-heroes or Mad-Max kind of cops, but those who volunteer to go to hospitals and visit children who have sustained severe burns, people who don't care how much money you have, people who need to see your inner beauty to fall in love with you, etc.
Gwyneth Paltrow and Black are just perfect. They really moved me.
The scene where the gold digger explains Paltrow how she "fell in love" with a guy she had known for years once he came by a lot of money, might be forgotten as one of those beautiful movie moments that will forever go unsung because the directors ruined their shot at being considered "serious" artists.
I actually love this movie. The gross-our humor is still there, but it's most likely what's keeping such a dignifying, all around good people movie from falling into saccharine land.
I think it's quite unique.
on May 7, 2016
this is an all time classic comedy
on June 17, 2013
a fair measure of what our society has become...and not in a good way. no phenom literary skills...short plot, low brow humor...but a deeper message lies within.
on July 27, 2015
good movie. not just for girls.
on February 29, 2016
Entertaining, funny, well done.