5.0 out of 5 stars The Underdogs
Published on April 12, 2010 by Kyle Freeland

3.0 out of 5 stars More like 3 and a half....still very much worth owning....
Published on September 27, 2010 by Dan L. Manes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Underdogs, April 12, 2010
Kyle Freeland "Freeland" (Mountain Home AFB, Idado USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shame, Shame (Audio CD)
Seriously, whats the deal? Dr. Dog remains one of those bands with reviews that are average at best. Listening to alot of music now days, its refreshing to year some bands that just play. Not a concept album, and not a album trying to find something new in their sound. This is music that you want to listen to when you just shared a bottle of your favorite alchoholic beverage and just talk about music, and when you know the words you can't help but sing. Dr. Dog have made a style, bar-indie music, and i don't mean this in a bad context. Lyricly, the album is superb. The bonus tracks alone are stand outs on the album. "It" gave me chills, some of the best words i've heard in a song. Getting to the point, these guys make good music, plain and simple. The best release to date by Dr. Dog and will surely be one of the best of 2010.

Listen to "Where'd did all the time go"? and "shame shame"

4.0 out of 5 stars "I do believe that there's no more tricks up my sleeve", April 8, 2010
J. Loudon (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shame, Shame (Audio CD)
Formed in Philadelphia in 1999, Dr. Dog has built a career around an eclectic style. They have ignored popular music staying true to themselves; much like My Morning Jacket, the band they began opening for that truly put them on the map. At just under forty minutes long, Dr. Dog has released an album which is in many very similar to its predecessor, 2008's Fate. The biggest difference is that Dr. Dog have brought in talent to help with the production for the first time. Co-producing this record is none other than Rob Schnapf who is best known for his work with Beck, Elliot Smith and the Vines.

With backup harmonies consisting mainly of "Ooo"s and "Aaah"s, Dr. Dog often sounds like they're from a different era. A cross between Wilco and Spoon with a hint of the Flaming Lips, Dr. Dog is incredibly good at releasing laid back, catchy tunes. Opening with "Stranger," a simple bass groove lays the foundation for a track that declares "I do believe that there's no more tricks up my sleeve." This statement, as far as the production is concerned, holds true for the vast majority of the album. Although the occasional eccentric effect or background instrumentation has always made Dr. Dog intriguing, the songwriting is the feature of Shame, Shame and they don't disappoint.

It is possible that after extensive touring, Dr. Dog wanted to record an album that more closely captured the feeling of a live performance. Although the song "Later" throws a lot of effects into the mix, the album as a whole sounds like an undiscovered vinyl that finally fell into the hands of someone who was willing to distribute it. Fans of their previous work will love this record, but for those unfamiliar with Dr. Dog, this is a great album to get started with.

Similar Artists: Wilco, Spoon

Track Suggestion: "I Only Wear Blue"

5.0 out of 5 stars a quietly perfect little rock gem, April 29, 2010
This review is from: Shame, Shame (Audio CD)
Classic, 60s/70s rooted pop songs with great, stick-in-your-head melodies & tight, compelling
arrangements. Dr. Dog's songs are simple & unaffected by current trends; the kind of album
that's rarely in the spotlight, but always there when you need it. Similarities to Wilco, Beatles,
Boo Radleys, Neutral Milk Hotel, Spoon, Thunderclap Newman....from Philadelphia, PA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer Album, May 27, 2010
This review is from: Shame, Shame (Audio CD)
This is an awesome CD. The songs and their arrangements are melodic, memorable and catchy; they stay in your head. Dr. Dog is very talented vocally, and musically every song is right on the money. I had never heard of Dr. Dog but found him on Amazon.com, and after ordering this album and loving it so much, I immediately ordered two more Dr. Dog CDs. I enjoy this album and play it over and over. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, May 3, 2010
This review is from: Shame, Shame (Audio CD)
Except the album cover, which is little bit unclear what it is supposed to mean or just a bad shot, the music is the best, from surprise to surprise. Actually, this is the first time I listen to this band, but trust me 'don't wait and buy the album'. it takes you days to off your chairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a worn-in sneaker, April 15, 2010
This review is from: Shame, Shame (Audio CD)
Perfect soundtrack to a warm summer night with friends and some booze. This one took a few listens for me to put it on the same field as the other albums, but sure enough the more I listened (just like everyone of their albums) the more warm and inviting it became. To be overly critical about Dr. Dog would miss the point of why I like them. Do they not try hard enough to evolve as a band? I don't know but don't care. It's the effortless way they seem to carry their music which brings integrity to me. Pull up a chair, relax, and listen to another fine installment Dr Dog has produced. And I second the comment about their live show, they can get down and funky.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid effort, April 6, 2010
This review is from: Shame, Shame (Audio CD)
Having only been privy to the last album "Fate" which is now in current heavy rotation in my brain, I was excited to hear Dr. Dog was releasing "Shame, Shame". I've listened to it once and there are definite moments on the album that are my favorite. The song "Where'd All the Time Go" is so nice I had to hear it twice: ) Overall I am not as floored with this album upon first listen as the previous one, but I have a feeling this one will be growing on me quite nicely. Solid album with some great moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most underrated album I own, February 11, 2012
KimmyDawn (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shame Shame (MP3 Music)
This is one of those albums that reveals something new with each listen. I constantly find myself thinking "these arrangements/lyrics/vocals are genius - why didn't I notice before?". It's just the right combination of soulful/Beatlesque tunes and edgy, indie pop sound that I love. SO underrated in my opinion. I would recommend this to any true music lover.

3.0 out of 5 stars More like 3 and a half....still very much worth owning...., September 27, 2010
This review is from: Shame, Shame (Audio CD)
I don't want anyone to think my review is knocking this album by just giving it what i'd deem to be 3 and a half stars. To my ears, this album has it's moments but unlike the two which preceeded it, it lacks the "it factor" of those two albums. Sometimes it can be unfair when a very good band makes two amazing albums such as FATE and We ALL BElONG because it takes a very solid album like this and makes it seem less good.

Still, this album is worthwhile to own and while not to the level of the prior too i've mentioned, it still showcases what Dr. Dog does well, which is craft psychedelic tunes which groove.

I'd label this more of a grower and one you won't regret owning.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new level for Dr. Dog, July 13, 2010
This review is from: Shame, Shame (Audio CD)
Best of 2010 on my list. Following these guys since seeing them open for Bobby Bare, Jr, supporting Easy Beat. Never in my top, until now. This album is an awesome consolidation of their strengths - great hooks and vocal harmonies w sophisticated production, but an open, minimal sound that respects their indie lo-fi roots. Seriously - this album is awesome all the way through, great hooks, great sound, great playing and singing, get the extended edition, if possible.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›