5.0 out of 5 stars Each model gets better!
Published on June 6, 2007 by Ben Dixon

3.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Chest Strap....
Published on January 7, 2007 by ESVK

3.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Chest Strap...., January 7, 2007
This review is from: MIO Shape Elite Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Sports)
This makes a great casual watch in addition to a heart monitor. Don't expect too much though. Strapless HRMs are not able to provide continuous heart rate like those that require a chest strap... so decide if the comfort of not wearing a chest strap is worth having to put your fingers on the watch for about 5 seconds to achieve a heart rate. To me it is. This is MIO's latest model (at the time of this review) and I believe that it is improved over some of the older models with regard to accuracy and obtaining a HR. I would give this 3.5 stars. When someone comes out with a strapless continual displaying HRM, then I will give that one 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Each model gets better!, June 6, 2007
Ben Dixon (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MIO Shape Elite Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Sports)
I got my first Mio in 2001. I think I may have been one of the first in the world to get one. I read an article on it and when I saw it was a decent looking heart rate watch and you could find how many calories you burn and get an accurate heart rate, I knew I had to have it. I have to say that I wasn't too thrilled with that first model. It was HUGE and bulky and had this weird light feature that turned the light on and off when you shook your wrist. If you left the light on (which I did all the time), the battery ran out. Sadly it ended up in my night table. I got pumped up again when I saw the Mio on Dr. Phil a couple of years ago so I bought one and I really found a remarkable difference. Same great features. I noticed that I got my heart rate more quickly and they got rid of that annoying light feature! I got a SHAPE ELITE for my birthday and I can definitely say that Mio has hit a home run with this one. It has got timers that the other watches lacked. It even has one that matches a walk/run program they promote in the little book that comes with the watch. For the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I can run 10km! It only took me 13 weeks to get there. I feel in the very best shape of my life at 44. I can say without hesitation it was the Mio SHAPE ELITE that got me there. Still the same great calorie burn info, even better uptake on the heart rate when you are in motion and, neat things like a heart rate recovery test that tells you how fit you are. It is a sleek, super looking watch (a far cry from the bulge on the wrist it used to be). I wear it all day and I absolutely love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's going back!, January 23, 2008
This review is from: MIO Shape Elite Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Sports)
I am a little surprised by some of the GREAT reviews that I have found on the internet regarding this unit. I received it for Christmas this year and have used it 10 times now while running and the P90X program I am doing. I have to say for ME, dead nuts accurate readings,(within 1%) I give it a "A-" for that. I never had a problem getting a quick accurate reading, The problem is can you read it??

For engineering and functionality it gets a "D". I'm an engineer so maybe I am a little tougher to impress, but I was VERY disappointed with the design.

To start with, I have 20/10 vision (better than average) and in normal light,lighting at the gym, or in my basement where I run the treadmill the numbers are almost impossible to read. The numbers on the LCD are too close together, for instance, a heart rate of 152 is easily mistaken for 162 ,even by my 13yo son who has eagle eyes. He said to me one day while wearing it "how do you read this thing?"

The display has a "Indiglo" type backlight, however, I found that if you turn on the light and then take a pulse reading, the light goes out before you can get a reading. And, if you take a pulse reading and then hit the light you might just be able to catch the reading before you lose the light. You are suppose to be able to extent the light by 2 secs by hitting any button while the light is on, that never worked for me.

The better design would be to have the pulse reading come full screen with another touch of a button, OR just a larger display period.

Being an engineer I know quite often they get locked into the one aspect of the product that they are working on without looking at the over all larger picture, that being "Is It Usable!" The other features seemed to work fine, but again, if you can't read it what good is it. I was very frustrated by the lack of forethought.

[...]

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Unhappy, July 27, 2008
This review is from: MIO Shape Elite Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Sports)
None of my expectations of this product were met except that tells the time of day. I find it IMPOSSIBLE to get readings when I'm running unless I actually stop (and not even then all the time). GREAT, huh? Also, it is such an awkward motion to try to get a reading when I'm running because I have to reach over to the other side of my body, make sure the watch is at a low a position as possible and hold the buttons down for anywhere from 4 to 15 seconds. I haven't even been able to get a reading then. If you think that doesn't throw your running continuity and form off, try it sometime (particularly when you're trying to check your pulse when your racing). I'll probably eat the $100 I paid because of shipping (they said it was free shipping, but NOT IF YOU'RE SHIPPING IT BACK. THEY WIND UP CHARGING YOU FOR SHIPPING BOTH WAYS) and restocking costs. What's my humorous reaction, 'Mama MIO', but believe me I'm not happy. Don't bother buying this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great No Hassle HRM with extras, August 30, 2008
This review is from: MIO Shape Elite Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Sports)
Got this because chest straps are irritating, and this is a much more convienent substitute. Only complaint is that it can take a few seconds to grab your HR - but well worth it for the convienence. Plus the other features (calorie measure etc.) are a nice bonus.

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, February 10, 2010
Cathryn Currier (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MIO Shape Elite Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Sports)
This watch ran out of batteries within 4 months! It also isn't accurate, takes a really long time to register the heart rate. By the time it gives you a pulse, your heart rate is elevated due to stress.

It's now in my closet collecting dust.

I have the Nike heart rate monitor and that works much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misrepresentation, January 30, 2010
This review is from: MIO Shape Elite Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Sports)
This was a very disapponting purchase.

The watch is not a replacement,by any means, to the strap continuous heart rate monitoring technology, such as the one used by Polar. You don't wear a strap, but you get a reading only when you press your fingers on the watch top plate. You can't run or bike for two long when your hands are in that heart rate sensing position - one over the other...

I wish a simple explanation like that would have been given as part of the technical explanation.

Anyhow, we have used the watch only once or twice and reverted back to the strap sensor/watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, December 26, 2009
Kindle Customer (Northern VA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MIO Shape Elite Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Sports)
I bought this watch because it had a lot of features that interested me and because it was on sale at a great price. The added features are nice to have, but I've been very disappointed with the actual heart rate monitor. The resting heart rate seems to be OK, but it is nearly impossible to get an accurate reading while exercising (even walking on the treadmill). Often it fails to register at all, and when it does it's all over the scale. I have to step off the treadmill and be completely still to get an accurate reading.

On the positive side, it does have other nice features (recovery rate, splits, calorie counter, etc.), and it's not too big to fit on a small adult wrist.

However, would not buy again.

2.0 out of 5 stars It broke after 1 year of use, July 14, 2008
E. Tyler (Poughkeepsie, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MIO Shape Elite Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Sports)
I loved this watch. I used it a lot last summer while training for my first 5k. The run/walk timer was perfect for me.

My husband used it at the gym a few times over the winter and now it's summer again and I am back into running outside. I stole it back from him and noticed it was dead. No biggie, replaced the battery and it worked just fine. Except a few hours later - it died again. Tried another battery and still nothing. Looks like it's garbage now as I am outside the 1 year warranty period by 3 months.

I am VERY disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Unit, August 15, 2007
JCT (Connecticut, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MIO Shape Elite Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Sports)
This MIO monitor is a pretty good tool for serious exercisers and others as well. I have found erratic heart rate readings and some difficulty managing all the functions especially during a workout.

I bought the item from the Amazon GOld Box for $80 so I am satisified. I wouldnt be too thrilled if I paid $150.

ARRAY(0x94f65600)