‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential read for parents and teachers concerned with 'Nature deficit' trend, March 16, 2008
A. Ford "rangeramy" ('But It's a Dry Heat', AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sharing Nature with Children, 20th Anniversary Edition (Paperback)
This book is THE original tool for connecting kids with nature.

Whether you are a parent or a teacher, you will find that this simple, small but comprehensive book will be the dog-eared book on the shelf or the coffee table...or the one that gets loaned out to friends the most. In every place I have taught environmental ed, I have seen activities from this book being used. In fact, so many enviro ed books have borrowed and adapted activities from this book that they have become classics.

The best part of this book is that it is a comprehensive teaching tool called "Flow Learning" that works like a cookbook. What I mean by this is that you can pull out just one 'recipe' for an activity, or combine several into the educational equivalent of a full four-course meal. Cornell's book is more than just a nature book, it is a system of four stages called 'Flow Learning', which very simply and effectively models how to facilitate connecting children (yes- even inner city children) with nature.

If you don't find this book extremely invaluable, I would probably offer to buy it back from you. After all, I can't seem to get back that last copy I loaned out...

5.0 out of 5 stars Nature study made easy!, May 12, 2001
Cheryl Hough (Fredericktown, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Thanks to this book, I have embarked on a new career in environmental education. I always dreamed about it but never realized that I could do it until I was introduced to this book. It is a must have for anyone who works with kids: teachers, parents, youth leaders, babysitters, etc. This book was so instrumental to me, that I gave a copy of it to two of my professors who were most influential in making my first year back in college to persue this new career a success. I know it has had an impact on one of these professors! Even after being introduced to some of the major environmental education programs (i.e.: Project Wild, etc) I still return to this simple book again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, simple activities you can do with your kids, August 8, 2008
This book is fabulous. My friend and I had our combined 4 kids up in a cabin for a week and I brought this book for activities we could do. I knew I didn't need to pack any "supplies" because of the wonderfully simple nature of the activities. I was amazed that in doing "meet a tree" where each child is blindfolded, is led to a tree, explores that tree, and then tries to find it again with the blindfold off, that the kids were overwhelmingly successful at locating their special tree amongst many others, touching and exploring each tree thoughtfully along the way.
Another favorite was the un-nature trail in which you hide man made objects along a trail to see how many the kids can locate. Even the kids who only found 1 out of 15 items(yes it's true) were thrilled to go back over the trail with me as I pointed out the glasses, the wooden spoon etc.
I would prepare more carefully for the "blind trail" than I did - setting out rules and perimeters before hand. I had two blindfolded, crying children who had accidentally been walked into a tree or led off of a fallen log by their inexperienced partner.
This book is one of my all time favorites despite any mishaps. I can't think of a better book to help you get children excited about being outside with the birds and the trees.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clasic guide to outdoor education games for children, February 11, 1997
By A Customer
Describes Cornell's philosophy of outdoor education and
gives instructions for playing outdoor education games
that work. This is an excellent guide for
educators, camp counselors and scout leaders. Some
games are designed to work in forested areas and are
difficult to adapt to treeless areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cornell's book for children, October 2, 2001
By A Customer
I had no idea that Joseph Cornell had written a book for children. This is a rare find. (It ranks up there with Robert Walser's little-known treatise on horse-grooming, or Arthur Brand's book of stock quotes.) There are stories here of hope and joy. You really get a sense of Cornell's engagement with a visionary romanticism when he encourages the reader to "let the child see into the world of nature, for there they will find a balm for their sorrows, a calm for their heart, and a palm against time." Cornell filled his boxes with the doodads of youth, and it's wonderful to find him speaking to children without any form of mediation. A must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, April 22, 2008
This book is filled wth great ideas on giving children memorable experiences in Nature. I myself am a nature docent and I know from experience that if you try to lecture to children out in nature you just have a lot of kids not listening. If you give them an experience you will give them something that they will always refer back to for the rest of their life. I highly recommend the methods used in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential, July 3, 2006
An essential book for any educator, but especially for environmental education. Also good for parents and others who work with children. A way to let them discover the wonders of nature, even in a city.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old activities, May 22, 2001
Jeremy (Lincoln, NE United States) - See all my reviews
I have worked in outdoor environmental education, so many of the activities suggested in this book were known to me prior to reading it. Therefore, I was a little disappointed in the book b/c I had hoped to get fresh ideas. I would reccommend this book to any and all parents/teachers who have not worked in EE. These activities are the standard in teaching kids/adults about nature. I look forward to reading Sharing Nature with Children II, which I have also purchased. I feel it will have new activities to inspire me and many others who love nature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Showcases nature studies and appreciation activities, January 12, 2002
Joseph Cornell is the author of Sharing Nature With Children and Sharing Nature With Children II . This two volume set showcase nature studies and appreciation activities that any parent, teacher, or child care provider can readily engage in with children. Ann appreciation for the complex and interrelated life forms that comprise the exosphere of their environments is a solid basis to establish a life-long enthusiasm for nature and the out-of-doors, as well as a lasting commitment to environmental issues and concerns. Each volume is available independently, but school and community libraries are urged to acquire them both for the nature activities and environmental reference collections.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharing Nature with Children, May 20, 2009
Momo (Maple Plain, MN) - See all my reviews
This really helped me in getting my grand-children interested in nature. They were always inquisitive, but I didn't know how to incorporate their questions with actually getting into nature walks and talks. Great book!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sharing Nature with Children, 20th Anniversary Edition
Sharing Nature with Children, 20th Anniversary Edition by Joseph Bharat Cornell (Paperback - March 1, 1998)
$9.95 $9.08