Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shark EP604 Retractor Convertible Lightweight Stick Vac
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on April 8, 2008
If you're looking to do away with your broom and dust mop like me, look no further. I had this little bugger together and in use - without the directions - in 5 minutes flat. I have no idea why someone would buy this to use it on carpet (it doesn't have a beater brush/roller. I took a quick look at the underside of the display at Lowe's to be sure, because I didn't want something scratching up my new hardwood floors). If you want a cheap vacuum for carpets, buy the hoover tempo (and some earplugs - it's pretty loud), it does a GREAT job. I bought the hoover for our carpet from JCPenney for about $65-. This Shark's a fab find for hardwoods, tile, and vinyl for about $45- plus tax. As for the reviewer that says it blows, I guess I can see how he/she might think so, because the exhaust is quite strong, however it blows straight out in front - up kind of high, and since I usually tip the vacuum back as I'm working, it wasn't an issue for me, because it blew the exhaust up. If you hold it straight up and down as you're working - which I think would be really awkward, you might have a problem, but I'm pretty sure most people vacuum with their vacuum at an angle like I do. I don't know, maybe the reviewer got a defective model that blew its exhaust out downward. As for the vac being a 4-star versus a 5-star, the reviewer that was upset about the awkwardness of it, he/she was spot-on. It will not lock upright, which stinks to me. If you want to detach and use the hose, you would have to keep one hand on the vacuum to keep it from tipping over, because it IS quite top-heavy. All in all, it's a keeper, though, as I'll be using my carpet vacuum for those kinds of jobs, anyway.
on February 5, 2006
The bad far outweighs the good but just to be fair i'll list the only good things about it:

Here's the good:

1. HEPA filter which is hard to find in a small vacuum

2. washable filter

3. Good suction

4. automatic retractable cord

5. relatively quiet

Now the bad:

1. only works on hard floors or very short pile carpet, but even on short pile I bet it doesn't work

2. even though it 'works' on hard floors the air blows straight out the front, as another reviewer noted, which blows the dirt away

3. Won't fit under a bed!

4. short power cord

5. very short hose, it detachs so you can manually suck up dirt but it's too short for anything other than the ground

6. Doesn't stand up! It doesn't Lock into upright position and it falls over very easily. When you detach the nozzle to suck dirt you have to lay it on the ground

7. Even though it's relatively light, it's unbalanced.

The few good line items on the box of HEPA and retractable cord can't overcome the fact that this thing is nearly worthless except for a very specific use and even then blowing the air out the front defeats what you're trying to accomplish.

Vacuums can last years. Instead of spending less on a junky model spend more and get what you really need. For the $90-120 price range you can get a lightweight canister HEPA vacuum if you need lightweight.
on September 8, 2007
Finally, somebody out there got it right. A small, light-weight appliance that can do a big job. I was getting tired of lugging heavy, cumbersome vacuums up and down the stairs and thought I'd look for a more practical alternative. I found one in the Shark. I recommend it highly. From carpet to floor, it does an excellent job. Clean the filter regularly and it this little vacuum won't let you down.
on December 3, 2006
I bought this to clean my laminate wood floors. I wanted something that wouldn't kill my back, was light weight, and didn't tear up my floor. This fits the bill. It is not as powerful as my upright Hoover but it's more convenient. The cord retracts which is nice. It has onboard tools and in a flash I can get into the corners and baseboards with the hose. It picks up pretty good but lint gets stuck on the little bottom wheels. Also, it is ESSENTIAL the filter be cleaned often otherwise it doesn't pick up well. The filter is easy to clean; I just take it out back and hose it off. I paid $50 for it and think it's worth it. Just be sure and clean the filter and don't expect a regular vaccum in this little guy.
on July 18, 2008
For a stick vac, this has some unusual features--onboard tools and really great suction! I had a small one-bedroom apartment with two cats who shed heavily and this vacuum worked amazingly well at keeping my floors (and chairs, futon, and sometimes clothing if I couldn't find my lint roller) hairless and clean. The carpet was a very low pile, however, and I found when I moved that I really needed a beater bar to get a good clean in the new place. I can't recommend it enough for low pile carpets, or if you need cheap hose tools for cleaning upholstery, and also it worked well on my linoleum floors in the bathroom and kitchen. The only downside, which other reviewers mentioned, is that every use (remember, lots of pet hair) significantly decreased the suction, so I found I had to empty the canister (bagless, yay!) after each use, and knock the dirt/hair out of the filter about once a month (I used the vac a couple times a week), and rinse the filter clean maybe every other month. It was a bit of a pain, but I found this regimen for cleaning the vacuum well worth the trade for how clean it got my apartment!
on July 30, 2007
I originally saw this vacuum at Target, but there weren't any in stock. After reading the features I was really excited to look online and purchase this vacuum. My entire downstairs is tile and I was looking for a light weight, powerful vacuum to help keep my floors clean since I was expecting my first child.

I ordered my vac online from the manufacturer for more than I had ever paid for a stick vac before (I have had a few Eurekas). Sadly the design of this vacuum had two major flaws. Firstly, the air exhaust vent is directed out the front of the vacuum. This results in the air blowing right down onto the surface you are trying to clean... very frustrating when you're chasing pet fur across tile. UGH! Secondly, I have never owned a stick vac or full size vac with so many steps involved in empty the dirt. You have to press a button to unlock the handle, twist and remove the front assembly, twist to separate the upper and lower portions of the collection container, and if you want to clean the filter there's at least two more steps.

I don't mean to sound like its all bad. I am very pleased with the suction and I really like the onboard tools. I just think the product designers need to go back to the drawing board and make this product a little more functional.
on June 7, 2014
if you know what your doing,this vacuum is awesome! I need a small light weight vacuum for my hardwood floors. I am handycaped, and need something light and easy to maneuver, the retractable cord makes it so much easier, and emptying it is a snap.It is so lightweight that I can even carry it myself.I bought it to put in my RV because it is easy to store in a small place and the handle even breaks down. The suction is very good. I could not imagine anything working better.
on June 1, 2007
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Do NOT buy this vacuum, it is a joke and is just terrible. It barely has any suction power, and you can forget using the head like a normal vacuum. It will blow everything away instead of sucking it up - and it only has a hole in the middle of the head, so it will only (barely) suck up what is directly over that hole on the floor. I only tried it on wood floor and it did a terrible job on that. The only think i can use it for is the extension, and it will only pick up the lightest of particles. IT SUCKS and not in a good way. Plus when you use the extension, it only goes so far and the vacuum will fall over on you. I hate this vacuum! Now I have to go buy something decent. Do yourself a favor, spend some more money and get something that works!
on March 26, 2008
My wife finds her new Shark Vacuum better then the first one we purchased. It is quite, and seems to vacuum better then the first one.
Also the retractable cord is a plus.
For the price we think this was a great buy. Also the shipping time was great, we received the product a couple of days early.

Have a great week.
on December 26, 2005
1--the exhaust is on the front of the vacuum, which blows the dirt around before you can even get to it to vacuum it up! This is especially irritating on hard floor surfaces, and even worse when you have pet hair!

2--the unit is falling apart at the seams.

3--the button to release the dirt canister fell off, and you can't get a replacement.

4--the handle is not strong enough to push the vacuum across carpet; it buckles and snaps off.

5--when I called the Shark Corporation to request a repair, I had to ship it back (this is fine) but also send them $30 to repair... although they claim to have a Full Warranty! I decided to just buy a different vac.

One good point, is that the motor/suction is strong, but when the body is breaking off, what good is that!?