4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised
This mop is not going to be a magic wand, but it is better than most products.

Published on February 5, 2008 by M. Peterson

2.0 out of 5 stars Great concept - poor performance
Published on December 27, 2007 by critical thinker

2.0 out of 5 stars Great concept - poor performance, December 27, 2007
This review is from: Shark Light & Easy Steam Mop (S3101) (Kitchen)
I purchased this steam mop because I love "clean", but hate the time it takes to get there. Here are the pros and cons on this product IMO: Pros: generates lots of steam FAST; the mops are very easy to put on and take off using hook and loop fasteners; very light appliance and easy to push around; loooong cord; the powerful steam really does pick up dust and dirt effectively. The reason I'm giving this two stars is because: the handle is weak and feels flimsy to use (and if you have to constantly be pushing it forward to generate steam it should feel sturdy); the mop head stays in a fixed position and does not swivel, therefore; does not get in hard to reach places like the base of the toilet or tough corners. Because the above is my main reason for purchasing an appliance like this I was disappointed it didn't perform up to my expectations. I returned this product and purchased the Bissell Green Tea instead and love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, February 5, 2008
This review is from: Shark Light & Easy Steam Mop (S3101) (Kitchen)
This mop is not going to be a magic wand, but it is better than most products.

Okay, here are some ways that it could be improved: The handle is a bit flimsy. Also, if the mop itself would pivot, that would be a big plus. Also, the replacement pads are way to expensive. The mop cleans super well, but does not do well with corners and you will still need to bend over to wipe up the dust mess that the mop pushes in front of it. The pads don't pick that stuff up well, but the more I use the mop, the less I see of it. I think that even though my floors looked clean, they were really dirty when I first used it. The cord also slips off the handle - there's a system to keep the cord out of the way, but it does not work really well.

I do feel like my floors are far cleaner than other methods I've tried - swiffers and I had a Hoover Floormate that bit the dust after a couple of years. Neither of those products did corners well either and the floor just feels cleaner with steam than with either of those devices. The Steam mop takes me about 10 minutes to use on my kitchen floors. They are vinyl and the dimensions are about 18 x 15. You do have to vacuum before you mop.

Several people commented that the mop is hard to push. I have found that it is a bit harder on floors that have texture, but on my kitchen vinyl it just glides. If the mop is wet when you start or if the floors are super dirty, it will stick. I had some trouble with that on my bathroom floors because of the hairspray stuck to the vinyl. The more I use it, the cleaner my floors get, and the easier it is to push. On my laminate and tile floors it is even easier to push. It did streak a bit on the laminate when I used tap water, but with distilled water the streaks were minimized.

So, all in all it's the best choice I've found out there short of cleaning on hands and knees. With the steam mop, you'll still have to do your floors the old fashioned way on occasion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Perspective on the Product, January 4, 2008
This review is from: Shark Light & Easy Steam Mop (S3101) (Kitchen)
OK, here's some feedback from a one month user. Knowing full well how informercials go, I still thought that this product was somewhat of an innovation in hard surface floor cleaning. I also knew that I would be basically dealing with a steam iron on a stick. Kinda like a Swiffer on steroids. Please understand that I use this product on an off-white, vinyl, kitchen floor (the bane of my existence). I live in a two adult person home with no children or pets. Does it work? Yes, the basic idea is functional and the product does a pretty good job of loosening surface dirt. It's quick, easy to use, and you don't have to haul out the mop and bucket. In addition, unlike the Swiffer, there's no dirt-magnet, cleaning product residue left on the floor. Are there some issues? Yes. The handle is a bit flimsy. Like the Swiffer, as you push forward (releasing steam) and then pull back on the mop, you'll see a line of dirt/residue left on the floor. Well, this isn't a vacuum. I just continue to push on the mop, accumulate the residue lines into one line, and wipe up the consolidated residue line when I'm done. After all, we're essentially just pushing surface dirt around here! And, the first thing I did was to seek alternatives to the rather expensive "miracle cloth" pads. So far, I've tried cutting, doubling and stitching together an old towel, sewing on loop-sided Velcro (to align with the barb-sided Velcro-like plastic on the product). It worked OK, BUT no cigar! The next attempt proved more effective. I purchased some cheaper "miracle cloths" and used the mop to push one around. No need for the Velcro. The miracle cloth sticks to the mop bottom! I'm still experimenting. Is the product too expensive? Well, for a steam iron on a stick, maybe. But, as it usually goes, I'm sure we'll see this product come down in price. If you buy these much hyped products early, you are basically rewarding an idea and trying something different. Am I satisfied? I must be. I just bought one for my daughter! Hope this provides you with some perspective on the product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Like pushing around a wet rag, November 16, 2007
This review is from: Shark Light & Easy Steam Mop (S3101) (Kitchen)
I heard how great these steam-clean things were, and I tried this one, but it's going back to the store tomorrow, and here I am on Amazon looking for another brand. I don't know about the others, but this one was like pushing a damp cloth around on the floor - sure, it picked up some dirt, but got the floor nowhere near clean. (Granted, my floor was pretty dirty.) And it was *really* hard to push, too, because the wet pad stuck to the floor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, December 16, 2007
This review is from: Shark Light & Easy Steam Mop (S3101) (Kitchen)
I bought the steam mop after moving in to a very old, i.e., dirty apartment in the city. It cleaned the hardwood floors and bathroom tile beautifully without streaking at all. I would definitely recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad, January 6, 2008
This review is from: Shark Light & Easy Steam Mop (S3101) (Kitchen)
I borrowed this from a friend so I didn't need to risk my own investment. I'm still not sold on its benefits at this point. In the end, I feel like the floor is much cleaner than with a mop, but it took me longer, so maybe if I spent that much time on it with a mop, it would have ended up the same?

PROS: Lightweight, steam is ready fast, long cord, gets off stuck on food from a 1 year old's corner of the floor, loosens up stuck on dirt

CONS: I got a blister after using it for an hour! (and it took me an hour to mop the floor!) I had to go over the fake grout lines in our linoleum with a towel and my fingernail to get out the loosened up dirt. Still didn't get out dirt from deep texture lines. The reservoir is way too small, had to fill it up 6 times for our kitchen alone.

Overall: It was a novelty that I think will wear off. It needs a scrub brush on the bottom to go along with the steam to get off tough dirt. Would be good for day to day cleaning. Is helpful for getting tough dirt loosened up-but so is good old fashioned elbow grease.

1.0 out of 5 stars worthless don't buy it, November 24, 2007
This review is from: Shark Light & Easy Steam Mop (S3101) (Kitchen)
This mop is terrible. It barely gets hot enough to clean anything. You have to keep pushing it forward to get it to steam. The handle/stick feels so flimsy. It is definately not worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy handed cleaners beware, January 25, 2008
This review is from: Shark Light & Easy Steam Mop (S3101) (Kitchen)
I bought the Shark after seeing a TV news "try before you buy" segment. First time I used it, I was almost done with all the floors which include tile and hardwood when I snapped it in two! But it got the floors so clean and was so easy to use that I replaced it. Now I'm not so heavy handed when I mop. It was very easy to assemble (both times) and you know when to change out the pad because it gets tough to push on the floor. Love it, wish it were a bit more stable but still love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time and money, April 19, 2008
This review is from: Shark Light & Easy Steam Mop (S3101) (Kitchen)
I do NOT understand any of the good reviews for this product.
Let's start at the top:
1. The handle is flimsy and cheap.
2. The tank is TINY! I was lucky to get 10 minutes out of it.
3. The steam only comes out when you're pushing forward, or if you pump the handle. How dumb is that? It doesn't even put out enough steam to get the pad wet! I had to actually wet the pad in the sink just to make it 'seem' like I was getting things clean.
4. In line with #3, this "steam mop" puts out about as much steam as an iron.
Save your money. If you're dead set on "steaming" your floor, tape your iron to a stick and push it around with the steam ON. It would probably do a better job!
Also, it takes quite a bit of HOT STEAM to actually disinfect/sanitize your floors. This steamer is CERTAINLY not up to the challenge and the steam coming out is barely as hot as your tap water!

After all my research, I think the best bet if you want to steam your floors is to go with an expensive, heavy duty model... one that is rated for home and light commercial use. I'm going to stop spending my money on cheap gadgets (gimmicks) like the Shark, and get a "real" steamer!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good..., November 24, 2007
This review is from: Shark Light & Easy Steam Mop (S3101) (Kitchen)
I bought this mop just two days ago so I cannot judge its reliability yet.

My floors are usually not very dirty - a tea/coffee drop here and there. Once I vacuum, I only need the mop to freshen the floors. Nevertheless, mop and bucket have never worked for me.

Shark Steam Mop is very easy to assemble; it takes less than five minutes to get it out of the box and running. The steam can be regulated using the handle; the more you push forward, the more steam you get. The floors are left sparkling clean and slightly damp. When you are done mopping, toss the pad into your washing machine.

I know that it is hard to judge a product after one use only, but I wanted to share my experience after I saw the negative ones. This mop might not work for everyone but it surely does for me!

Shark Light & Easy Steam Mop (S3101)
$99.99 $56.25