5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is AMAZING!
Published on September 19, 2012 by DogLoverExtreme

1.0 out of 5 stars the warrenty is NO good
Published 6 months ago by Mark C.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is AMAZING!, September 19, 2012
WOW....I am not a person who is easy to please. But, I am thoroughly impressed with this vacuum. I was debating between this model and the Shark Lift Away Professional. I went with this NV42 model because it was $80 cheaper and seemed to have many of the same features (minus the lift away base unit.) I can say that my house has NEVER been CLEANER! I have 2 dogs and one sheds heavily year round. This vacuum not only sucked up all of the fur, but also managed to get all of the dirt and dust that was embedded in the fibers AND underneath my thick area rugs that I used to have to go back and clean separately. It works fantastic on carpets, rugs, stairs and my hardwood floors AND its self propelled so I don't even have to push it! I even use it to dust woodwork and window sills and I cleaned my entire sectional couch with it - that's how powerful it is! I must say it is a bit cumbersome on my stairs...but not nearly as bad as my old hoover was. If you are concerned with agility on stairs, I would recommend investing in the lift away model (cause you can just detach the motor unit and travel with it more easily.) I'm probably just going to buy the hose extender so I can use it to extend further up my stairs without dragging the whole thing behind me. Also, the filters are all washable and reusable (so no expensive replacements). I JUST TOTALLY LOVE THIS THING!

4.0 out of 5 stars ALMOST PERFECT, February 14, 2014
This review is from: Shark Navigator Deluxe (NV42) (Misc.)
What's great about it: Great price, easy set up, good suction, not heavy or cumbersome, love the width of the head.
What's not so great: Not self-propelled, hose is not as stretchy as I thought, no on board storage for two of the attachments.

Really great vacuum, especially for the price. I go through vacuums fairly quickly so I've had quite a few different ones and I've paid up to as much as $500. This is my first Shark and my favorite vacuum to date.

Easy to switch from floor to carpet and floor mode is pretty quiet. The furniture/pet hair attachment works really well. The little beater brush is air driven so it's not too noisy and there is a little slide bar to give more or less suction. Which is nice. There are also two little strips of that red material like they use for fancy lint removal brushes. So it readily and quickly picks up pet hair. Good design. It also comes with a super long skinny nozzle, a short flat one and a soft duster type of attachment. Everything a person would need to keep house and car clean.

One of my pet peeves with these types of vacuums is the tipping over of the unit while trying to use the hose attachments. The slightest pull and the whole thing goes crashing to the ground behind me. ugh! I remedy this the same way I have with previous units which is to sort of wedge them into an area where they cannot tip. I've been told that the hoses stretch after a while but I have not experienced that in the past. Even after several years of using. The pics always make it look like the hose reaches really far! It really doesn't. However the material is more pliable than on any other model I've had so far.

My other issue with this unit is the term "self-propelled" vacuum. I have used industrial vacuums that are truly self-propelled as in when you push the handle forward a tiny bit it takes off and you have to pull it back to stop it. This is nothing like that. It's just a regular push vacuum. No accelerator or motor in the handle.

This model does have a HEPA filter that will need to be changed eventually and I've read a few reviews stating that they are very hard to find. Don't know if that's accurate since I just got it, but I am happy that the filter prior to the HEPA is a thick sponge-like disc that can just be rinsed clean. Might not need a HEPA filter for quite a long time in that case.
I will have to designate a special spot in the closet for the two loose attachments (long skinny nozzle and furniture/pet hair beater brush) but I'm not too bothered by that.

All in all I am very pleased with this purchase and would highly recommend it to anyone, GREAT VACUUM, GREAT PRICE!

5.0 out of 5 stars I never thought I could love a vacuum again, June 13, 2014
This review is from: Shark Navigator Deluxe (NV42) (Misc.)
In my younger days, I cleaned houses for a living. I loved my Eureka upright and no one could tell me anything different. Hoover - forget it! The 200 pound Kirby - not a chance! My love for Eureka knew no bounds. I could even repair it myself, changing bags, or belts, no worries!

Until one sad day, it broke and I couldn't fix it.

Time to go to Amazon and see what is out there.

First I went to Kohl's, Best Buy, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Costco, looking, taking notes, seeing prices, sizes, what options, what is good bad or ugly. I kind of liked the Shark. Came home, read all the reviews on Amazon (I am in love with Amazon and Prime, just saying.) Picked this one. Waited for it to arrive.

Put it together, not hard, didn't even need help from hubby, Norman. Shazam!

I vacuumed my house, up down, all over. Each room, I emptied the easy-to-remove basket of dirt and dog hair and took it to the trash. There is a satisfaction that is indescribable in dumping that puppy out. Like the hunter gather women of old, to feel accomplishment of "I DID IT!" I sucked that dirt from my carpet and wood floor in INCREDIBLE amounts and neatly disposed it in the trash can. Oh my.

Empty it for each room. That way you can proudly say, "Hunny - in JUST your office - I got THIS MUCH!!" it's amazing.

Then, for a thrill, after emptying the canister, for a fresh start - I put on the pet hair attachment and conquered the SOFA. Oh - My - goodness! JUST the sofa alone, with this amazing attachment, I sucked up enough cat hair to make two new cats!!! I can't tell you how truly satisfying that was. (Yes, gross to think I was sitting on that sofa every day!)

Light weight to carry. Use the magic wand to do stairs. And the crevice tool for dead flies in the window sills. One suggestion, take the cord up and hold it in the same hand as you hold the handle, so it doesn’t wrap around your leg or furniture. Oh, and when using the wand, the body wants to fall over, just hold it.

Magical. Thank you, Sally

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing ! A Man's review of a Great tool, November 2, 2013
First, I'm a guy. A mechanical fix-it type guy. This vacuum does everything it claims it does. The suction is SO Powerful it will lift the rugs right off the floor if you don't use the 'suction reduction lever'. I really must say this thing is impressive, you will never find a more powerful vacuum. It is light, rolls/turns easily. The pet hair 'mini-tool',which also works on carpeted stairs/auto interiors sounds like a Jet Turbine, does not get bogged down on hi-pile carpet and picks up ANYTHING you need it too.I cannot say enough how utterly awesome this vacuum is, I actually enjoy the chore of cleaning!, it's almost fun! The dust bin is EASY to empty, you don't have to touch any dust/hair etc. Just dump and go. You can even easily detach the vacuum part from the carpet/floor brush and carry it around, up stairs, etc. to use the smaller Jet turbine mini tool. It has 2 crevice tools ,a short and long one, and a small brush attachment, which swivels around so you can clean the tops of doorways, ceiling fans tops of cabinets...whatever. Also,, It has no belts to burn out, if it gets caught on the edge of a carpet or anything the brush roller automatically shuts off and saves itself from burning out. Well engineered, I must say. My wife loves it too. light and easy to handle.If this vacuum has one thing I don't like, it's the fact that 2 of the tools don't store 'onboard'. The mini-brush and the 24" crevice tool will have to be stored elsewhere. However, there is a small 'onboard' crevice tool and the small un-powered brush. They store right on the back of the vacuum. A MINOR inconvenience, don't let this stop you from buying the best vacuum you'll ever own. Guarantee you Love it! This review is for the $149.00 Navigator Deluxe (Silver), The Navigator Pro (White) is $50.00 more, but they both have the EXACT same motor assembly and Floor Carpet brush, but the Pro is Fancier and holds another cup of dirt. Not worth it to me, as they are basically same motor and brushes. I bought the 'Service Plan' ($17.00) which covers it for 3 yrs, cheap Insurance. And they will just replace the Whole Vacuum IF there is an issue. But I highly doubt there will be. I wish I bought this vacuum years ago, instead of the 2 other bagless 'Name Brands' that burnt out many belts and did NOT work even close to The Shark. Let the Shark do the work. We even take it to camp where it vacuums up sand all sorts of outdoor debris without ANY issues...Finally, a Tool that Just works, works right and makes the Job easier. Thank You Shark/Navigator.
Sincerely, Johnny N.H.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacuum!, December 17, 2012
This review is from: Shark Navigator Deluxe (NV42) (Misc.)
Very light weight and great for pet hair! I defintely recommend this vacuum, it does a great job on stairs too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vacuum!!, April 19, 2012
This review is from: Shark Navigator Deluxe (NV42) (Misc.)
I have had this for over a year and still love it. It easily transitions from carpet to bare floors. I have two little ones and a dog and a cat so I do a lot of vacuuming. I have not had any problems with losing suction. I don't have any carpet just lots of rugs on hard wood floors. It really does a great job.

1.0 out of 5 stars the warrenty is NO good, June 15, 2014
This review is from: Shark Navigator Deluxe (NV42) (Misc.)
i had the vacuum for about 1 year. there is a little hose on the bottom of the vacuum that goes to the head of the vacuum. this cracked and tore shark refused to cover the part. I called many times and was told each time that any part that they choose not to make separate is NOT covered under their warranty. so another words it is a false warranty since what ever they want out of it they just will not make a part. also to note my mother shark did the same thing and also 3 other friends i know. it seems this is the #1 part to break on the vacuum and without it the vacuum is worthless. such a tiny part but very much required. I also files a complaint with BBB and they still refused to not resolve the issue and also my friends and mother files to the BBB and got no where. JUNK~ if you buy you will know what i mean when that little hose cracks on you!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real sucker!, December 3, 2012
The vacuum arrived well packaged and on time. It is easy to assemble, only have to put in one screw. Now comes the real test, I took my Oreck and vacuumed the living room twice over and then used the new machine to go over it, I was shocked, almost filled up the container. I always thought my floors were fairly clean, but found out I was wrong. This Shark really is a sucker, pulled up so much dirt and fine particles that I was flabbergasted. It has a full set of tools and a nice long hose to reach those hard to reach spots. It works great, really sucks up the dirt and is easy to use.

1.0 out of 5 stars So aside from the inconvenience of having to drag this heavy lump of junk to a post office (we like most New Yorkers don't have, August 10, 2014
This review is from: Shark Navigator Deluxe (NV42) (Misc.)
I bought this vacuum on the strength of the reviews and the fact that cheaper vacuums had a lot of reviews complaining about a lack of reliability, which was my only real concern - that was a mistake.

The vacuum cleaner lasted 3 months (approximately 10-15 actual uses in a 750 sq/ft apartment with all hardwood floors - no pets) and the engine burned out completely (strong burning smell whenever the vacuum is switched on and no suction). When I rang up to try claim it on the much publicized warranty, I was informed I would have to pay for the postage to return the vacuum to the company, and they would take my credit card details to charge me for the postage to send it back to me after it had been fixed. So aside from the inconvenience of having to drag this heavy lump of junk to a post office (we like most New Yorkers don't have a car so this is not a simple task), I have to spend somewhere in the vicinity of $100 in postage to return a $150 vacuum cleaner that is obviously faulty. I recognize the company has no way of knowing that without seeing it, but surely the offer should be to refund my postage if the fault is with the product?

After attempting to reason with the guy who responded on the warranty line (mistake number two), we decided to cut our losses, tossed the whole thing in the trash and went with a refurbished Dyson for a similar price instead.

The thing that amazes me is the strength of the reviews here - I'm sure I can't be the only one this has happened to.

4.0 out of 5 stars the good.. the pet hair attachment is AWESOME, August 18, 2014
This review is from: Shark Navigator Deluxe (NV42) (Misc.)
Ok.. the good.. the pet hair attachment is AWESOME. Got my lab hair right out of my black car interior! It does a great job on both carpet and bare floor in the house.

The bad? Well.. it is top heavy.. which becomes an issue when using the hose attachment. It tips over really easily and I banged up my entertainment center as a result.. so boo on that. It just has such a small footprint it has a hard time standing up. Now that I know.. I am super careful to make sure it isn't in a position to wack anything.

Otherwise.. easy to empty the canister and has good cleaning power.

Shark Navigator Deluxe (NV42)
$179.99 $149.00