Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shark Steam Pocket Mop (S3550)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 23, 2010
About six months ago, I hesitantly purchased (directly from Amazon) the Euro-Pro Shark Steam Pocket Mop version with 2 heads and 4 microfiber pocket pads ... but I am SO glad I did. I LOVE this steam mop. I have TILE and WOOD floors throughout my house and they have been nearly impossible to keep clean (as evidenced by my kids' no-so-white sock bottoms). Anyway, I had been researching all of the various steam mops trying to find that "perfect" mop that would work miracles. I thought I had decided on one, but then (while flipping channels) saw the infomercial for this mop. It appeared to be EXACTLY what I was looking for. As with most infomercials, I was VERY skeptical that the product would REALLY do what it claimed to do. Luckily, I took the leap of faith, and purchased one from Amazon.com. I could not be happier with this mop. It REALLY does STEAM (alot) and get all of the gross built up dirt and grime off the floors.

I HATE cleaning floors! I'm more of a carpet person, so for me to say I love this product is absolutely amazing. I had a Hoover FloorMate (which I purchased 7 years ago), but it was ALOT of effort to clean up AFTER ... and it only had the brush scrubbers (so it didn't really WIPE the floors clean) AND it required the special Hoover cleaner (which I ruined mine by using Pine Sol ... which it specifically says not to use). Then I moved to the cheaper (although, not really after you buy all of the disposable pads and cleaner) Swiffer Wet Jet. It was ok for the quick clean-ups, IF my floor was already pretty much clean to begin with. But the Swiffer Wet Jet never CLEANED my floors. It was EXTREMELY frustrating to spend time and money cleaning and then STILL see the dirty sock bottoms (which meant the floors weren't really clean).

PLEASE NOTE: There are TWO (2) versions of the NEWER MODEL steam mop ... the PURPLE version has 2 heads (rectangle and triangle) with 5 PADS (2 rectangle, 2 triangle, 1 purple duster) and the SILVER/metallic version has 3 heads (XL rectangle, rectangle and triange) and 4 PADS (1 XL rectangle, 1 rectangle, 1 triangle, 1 purple duster). Both have the carpet glider. The XL kit, as well as extra PADS can all be purchased separately. I bought my XL kit from Newegg.

The things I like about the Euro Pro Shark Steam Pocket Mop are ...
1. It has a LONG 30ft. cord so you are not constantly plugging and unplugging,
2. It has sturdy/thick microfiber machine washable/reusable TWO-SIDED pads (all of the stains don't come out, but they have held up VERY well to repeated washings),
3. It has a LARGE water tank, so you are not constantly re-filling the tank,
4. It has a SWIVEL head (3 different HEAD sizes/shapes) that FLIPS for two-sided cleaning,
5. It really STEAMS while cleaning and gets off the built on dirt,
6. It cleans WITHOUT any chemicals ... only tap water (I prefer using hot water),
7. It HEATS up quickly (under a minute ... although I usually let it heat for 5 minutes).

Things you should know ...
1. As with mopping, you need to vacuum or sweep BEFORE steam mopping (do this WHILE the mop is heating up).
2. Filling with hot water worked best for me.
3. PUMP/prime the mop about 10 times before you start mopping (this gets the STEAM really going).
4. Make sure you have AT LEAST 2 pads (4-sides of cleaning), especially if your floors are dirty.
5. Do NOT keep using the same pad side once it is dirty (so, check the bottom as you go) or your floors will not be cleaned and look streaky when they dry.
6. I don't *think* this mop actually gets hot enough to really sanitize (I'm not sure if any of them do), but I spray/squirt some vinegar on the floor as I go and mop over that and it seems to work.
7. The steam mop is made of hard plastic, so I'm not sure how well the handle itself is going to last over time with repeated pumpings, etc. I've noticed several reviewers commenting on a broken handle. I would say there is alot of truth in that ... since the manufacturer sells JUST the HANDLE for ~$30 as a "replacement part" on its website ... and I personally think that is an odd "replacement" part (so they must have ALOT of handles breaking). Still, I have not found anything else that does the job like this mop.
8. As with just about any mop, this one also does not really clean deep into the grout between the tiles that well. (Guess you can't have everything.)

Overall, I am VERY HAPPY with this mop! Actually, don't mind (as much) cleaning the floors now ... since they do truly get clean!

UPDATE April 2011: My mop is still working fine with no issues (thank goodness). The pads are heavily stained (even Clorox won't get the stains out) and have started to wear through and need to be replaced. My mom also purchased one a few months after I did and her handle broke within a month of very LIGHT use. The manufacturer was useless in helping her and said that she could buy the replacement handle (no thank you) or PAY to have it shipped back to them to inspect and fix or replace (their option). Anyway, she just returned it where she purchased it and got all of her money back. I would say that this mop does appear to have QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES. If you get a good one, consider yourself LUCKY. If you get a bad one (which the chances are greater than 50/50), then hopefully you purchased from a store with an EXCELLENT and longer-lasting RETURN POLICY as the manufacturer will NOT help you. It also appears that some of these quality control issues could be dangerous (beyond a broken handle). I am still using mine and happy with the results, but am now a little more cautious.
on November 27, 2011
OK, here's the problem. I've owned 2 and both broke after 1 1/2 years. It heats up but no water flow. When it worked it worked very good and I was happy. I used it lightly on the floor about 500 square feet. So what's the problem? My wonderful husband took it apart and found a broken hose from the heater to the outlet that allows the steam to flow. Inside the hose is a spring that allows the water to flow. This few dollar part is what is breaking and causing everyone grief. Emailed Shark and they don't sell the part, but you can send it to them and they will fix it... for a fee and your on the hook for shipping both ways. Time to find an alternative. Good Luck!
88 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2010
I just purchased this last week and I've used it once, I gotta say that it does a pretty good job. It heats up in seconds and you don't have to wait to reuse it after refillling it. My floors felt clean and it removed hard stains. It does leave a little bit of water on the floor just like a regular mop does, but what mop doesn't. Overall its a great product...

UPDATE:

I am updating this review because even though I really loved this mop, and it did an overall pretty good job at cleaning my floors and removing stains, I am sad to say that one day it just quit working, didn't turn on. Lasted maybe a little over a year. Please do not purchase this mop, it won't last.
on May 7, 2011
This is the 2nd Shark steam mop I have purchased. Both quit steaming within a year. I recommend you look for something other than a Shark brand.
on August 4, 2012
July 29, 2012

I am regretfully writing this review on the Shark Professional Steam Pocket Mop model S3550. This is the second steam mop that we have purchased from Shark. The first mop we had was one of the original mops similar to model S3101. After a year and a half the heating element went out and every time you pumped the mop for steam, water would run out the bottom of the mop and leave a mess all over the floor. Up until then, the mop was great.

We decided to give the Shark mop another try because we love the concept of steam cleaned floors, especially since we have two small children who spend a lot of time on the floor. We purchased the Shark Professional Steam Pocket Mop model S3550, with the hopes that the first mop we had was just a fluke and this should be an upgraded version that would be more durable. Unfortunately we were wrong. Once again, right at about the year and a half mark the mop's heating element went out and again water just ran out the bottom when the mop was pumped. This was very disheartening for us because we had high hopes for this newer version.

Now I must say we do have a Shark Navigator vacuum and it is wonderful. In fact we have recommended it to several of our friends and they love it as well. I am emailing the company to see if there is anything that they can do to help resolve this issue. I understand that the mop is out of warranty by a few months but having the same problem two times in a row on two different products I hope that they are willing to help with our problem.

UPDATE: August 4, 2012

It has been a week since I contacted the company and have heard nothing in response to my email to their customer service department. Based on the issues with their mops and the lack of response from their customer service department, the mop was the last Shark product we will buy. Even as good as the vacuum has been, I will not do nor recommend doing business with a company that is non-responsive to the issues that arise with their products.
on October 15, 2011
I purchased this model from my local Bed, Bath & Beyond approximately 6 months ago. I would describe it as "lightly used" during that time period and I was impressed with how effective it was. Unfortunately, it has completely stopped producing steam. The back of the unit gets quite hot, almost too hot to touch, while the water inside the reservoir remains cold. I called Shark customer service and was told I could return my unit for repair for $19.99 in shipping, or, purchase model "S3501" for $35.00 (including shipping) instead. They offered no explanation as to why the unit stopped working, and, frankly, I'm disappointed that I would be responsible for shipping costs if I were to have it repaired. In the end, I chose neither option and will be depositing my Shark steamer on the curb for trash pick up instead.
on September 8, 2011
This too is my second Shark Steam Mop and also within one year it stopped working! I would look elsewhere!!
on October 21, 2015
My Shark Steam Pocket Mop (S3550) is non-functional after several years. Like others have described, it heats up, but there is no steam, just dribbles of water. Customer Service provided no theories as to why it was no longer working, just offered me a replacement at 20% off with free shipping, but I do not want a replacement--I want my unit to work so it does not wind up in a landfill. CS offered to repair it at no charge, but I would be responsible for shipping both ways at an estimated total of $40, which is 2/3 the cost of a new warrantied one sold on Amazon. My thinking is why should I be responsible for the cost of shipping to repair what is clearly an inferior product that was not designed and built to last, despite my limited use with it (once or twice per week on approximately an 85 square foot surface). Both options were not acceptable, and they declined to send me any parts to repair it myself, so I told them I will no longer do business with a company that is aware of this flaw with their product and has not rectified it (based on the reviews I have read), and is not environmentally conscious enough to assist the consumer with an inexpensive way to extend the life of their product. I also told them I would be writing a review recommending other consumers not invest in their product.
on May 23, 2016
I ordered this steam mop even though the one I ordered last month ( warranty with Amazon out by 3 days ) didn't work . Followed instruction with new one and solved problem with first one by pumping unit 30 times! Now I have 2 working steam mops. Neat birthday gift for grandson, 21st birthday.
on May 8, 2013
I agree with everyone that liked this steamer while it worked. I have had it for just over a year, but the seal just broke so it drips lots of water all over the place now. Would NOT recommend this product if you don't want to buy a new one every year.