Top positive review
35 people found this helpful
LOVE this STEAM MOP ... even WORKS like the INFOMERCIAL!
on April 23, 2010
About six months ago, I hesitantly purchased (directly from Amazon) the Euro-Pro Shark Steam Pocket Mop version with 2 heads and 4 microfiber pocket pads ... but I am SO glad I did. I LOVE this steam mop. I have TILE and WOOD floors throughout my house and they have been nearly impossible to keep clean (as evidenced by my kids' no-so-white sock bottoms). Anyway, I had been researching all of the various steam mops trying to find that "perfect" mop that would work miracles. I thought I had decided on one, but then (while flipping channels) saw the infomercial for this mop. It appeared to be EXACTLY what I was looking for. As with most infomercials, I was VERY skeptical that the product would REALLY do what it claimed to do. Luckily, I took the leap of faith, and purchased one from Amazon.com. I could not be happier with this mop. It REALLY does STEAM (alot) and get all of the gross built up dirt and grime off the floors.
I HATE cleaning floors! I'm more of a carpet person, so for me to say I love this product is absolutely amazing. I had a Hoover FloorMate (which I purchased 7 years ago), but it was ALOT of effort to clean up AFTER ... and it only had the brush scrubbers (so it didn't really WIPE the floors clean) AND it required the special Hoover cleaner (which I ruined mine by using Pine Sol ... which it specifically says not to use). Then I moved to the cheaper (although, not really after you buy all of the disposable pads and cleaner) Swiffer Wet Jet. It was ok for the quick clean-ups, IF my floor was already pretty much clean to begin with. But the Swiffer Wet Jet never CLEANED my floors. It was EXTREMELY frustrating to spend time and money cleaning and then STILL see the dirty sock bottoms (which meant the floors weren't really clean).
PLEASE NOTE: There are TWO (2) versions of the NEWER MODEL steam mop ... the PURPLE version has 2 heads (rectangle and triangle) with 5 PADS (2 rectangle, 2 triangle, 1 purple duster) and the SILVER/metallic version has 3 heads (XL rectangle, rectangle and triange) and 4 PADS (1 XL rectangle, 1 rectangle, 1 triangle, 1 purple duster). Both have the carpet glider. The XL kit, as well as extra PADS can all be purchased separately. I bought my XL kit from Newegg.
The things I like about the Euro Pro Shark Steam Pocket Mop are ...
1. It has a LONG 30ft. cord so you are not constantly plugging and unplugging,
2. It has sturdy/thick microfiber machine washable/reusable TWO-SIDED pads (all of the stains don't come out, but they have held up VERY well to repeated washings),
3. It has a LARGE water tank, so you are not constantly re-filling the tank,
4. It has a SWIVEL head (3 different HEAD sizes/shapes) that FLIPS for two-sided cleaning,
5. It really STEAMS while cleaning and gets off the built on dirt,
6. It cleans WITHOUT any chemicals ... only tap water (I prefer using hot water),
7. It HEATS up quickly (under a minute ... although I usually let it heat for 5 minutes).
Things you should know ...
1. As with mopping, you need to vacuum or sweep BEFORE steam mopping (do this WHILE the mop is heating up).
2. Filling with hot water worked best for me.
3. PUMP/prime the mop about 10 times before you start mopping (this gets the STEAM really going).
4. Make sure you have AT LEAST 2 pads (4-sides of cleaning), especially if your floors are dirty.
5. Do NOT keep using the same pad side once it is dirty (so, check the bottom as you go) or your floors will not be cleaned and look streaky when they dry.
6. I don't *think* this mop actually gets hot enough to really sanitize (I'm not sure if any of them do), but I spray/squirt some vinegar on the floor as I go and mop over that and it seems to work.
7. The steam mop is made of hard plastic, so I'm not sure how well the handle itself is going to last over time with repeated pumpings, etc. I've noticed several reviewers commenting on a broken handle. I would say there is alot of truth in that ... since the manufacturer sells JUST the HANDLE for ~$30 as a "replacement part" on its website ... and I personally think that is an odd "replacement" part (so they must have ALOT of handles breaking). Still, I have not found anything else that does the job like this mop.
8. As with just about any mop, this one also does not really clean deep into the grout between the tiles that well. (Guess you can't have everything.)
Overall, I am VERY HAPPY with this mop! Actually, don't mind (as much) cleaning the floors now ... since they do truly get clean!
UPDATE April 2011: My mop is still working fine with no issues (thank goodness). The pads are heavily stained (even Clorox won't get the stains out) and have started to wear through and need to be replaced. My mom also purchased one a few months after I did and her handle broke within a month of very LIGHT use. The manufacturer was useless in helping her and said that she could buy the replacement handle (no thank you) or PAY to have it shipped back to them to inspect and fix or replace (their option). Anyway, she just returned it where she purchased it and got all of her money back. I would say that this mop does appear to have QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES. If you get a good one, consider yourself LUCKY. If you get a bad one (which the chances are greater than 50/50), then hopefully you purchased from a store with an EXCELLENT and longer-lasting RETURN POLICY as the manufacturer will NOT help you. It also appears that some of these quality control issues could be dangerous (beyond a broken handle). I am still using mine and happy with the results, but am now a little more cautious.