5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!
Published on November 2, 2010 by Sue

2.0 out of 5 stars Works Great...Until It Stops Working
Published 18 months ago by jacyonthefly

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, November 2, 2010
This review is from: Shark Press and Refresh (GS500) (Misc.)
I like to think of myself as a true ironer. I love the look of pressed clothes and when i saw the press and refresh i knew i had to try it out. Although i have tried other garment steamers in the past and have been disappointed, i went ahead and purchased this product. The vertical ironing pad is amazing! It's so much easier to maneuver clothing on the pad when its hanging instead of trying to fight it on the ironing board. I think the best part was i don't have to worry about taking it down off my door to store! The steamer itself works great! I must admit, it took a few times of using it to get the hang of it. It's one of those products that you have to really get the technique down to appreciate it, but the results were great! I'm not advocating it will completely eliminate your iron, but it sure does give a nice pressed look to clothes especially those you would never want to touch your iron with. I was nervous in the beginning to try it on more delicate fabrics, but it really worked great on my silk blouses for work. I absolutely see how this will help with my dry cleaning bills. I also think its wonderful that you can use it on upholstery. I live in NY and have an 8 month old baby girl (my first :) so I'm very protective). With the outbreak of bedbugs in NY and just everyday germs, i feel so much better knowing that the steamer eliminates germs and bedbugs around my house (I even used it on my car upholstery). For all of you skeptics, give it a try! Don't give up after the first use, you will be pleasantly surprised! I have never bought into infomercial products, but I'm starting to think I might have to start watching more of them!

4.0 out of 5 stars FITS THE BILL, October 25, 2011
This review is from: Shark Press and Refresh (GS500) (Misc.)
I decided to write a review on this because I realized how much I depend upon these reviews to purchase items. I almost decided against buying this item because of some comments, but after reading others, it sounded like it "fit the bill" for me, and it has. First, this will not replace an iron. I have owned numerous steamers, including a heavy-duty retail model. You can't steam a man's cotton shirt and expect to get a crisp, starched look. Like some of the other reviewers, I was looking for a steamer to do a fast, touch up on suit wrinkles or blouses. For my lifestyle, ironing is not in the picture, so clothes are either sent to the cleaners or washed and quickly steamed. Someone had complained about the time it took to heat up. I timed it, and it was under 2 minutes. My biggest gripe about clothes steamers is the water dripping. I did not experience this with this steamer. It has a special head specifically to prevent it. I did notice that when I included the brush attachment, wrinkles came out easier. The steam and head get quite hot. Another plus is the size, which allows me to easily store it under the bathroom sink. Finally, someone mentioned about the weight. It doesn't seem any heavier than a regular iron and with the design of the handle, it was like lifting a 1 or 2 pound weight, so an added bonus is that you get a little workout. This item isn't meant for ironing a basket of clothing, you really need an iron. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star rating was because you had to dump the water out of it after using it, otherwise it would have been perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy I bought this!, May 1, 2011
I am a working professional and I was looking for an easier way to care for my "dry clean only" clothing. I wear a suit daily and usually wear a shirt that needs special care. I hate ironing and I avoid buying clothing that tends to get wrinkly or needs ironing. I have owned steamers before and I have not been very impressed. After buying this steamer I was extremely impressed!
Here are the pros:
-It comes with great extras; lint remover, extra steaming pads, water fill cup that makes refilling the machine easy.
-The over the door idea is wonderful if you hate having to drag out an ironing board or have limited space. Even the little clips that come with it stay in place and grab your garments very well.
-It is ready to use in a minute. Easy to use.
-Unlike other steamers I have used this one comes with an extra way to get rid of wrinkles besides the steam. It has a wrinkle eraser pressing bar that has been really useful for getting tough wrinkles out.

Here are the cons:
-I thought it was a bit heavy.
-It does not hold as much water as I would like. I usually have to refill it once during each use.
-It takes a bit of practice to make creases in clothing.

Overall I think this is a great investment and made its purchase price back in one month in dry cleaning bill savings.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works Great...Until It Stops Working, July 3, 2013
This review is from: Shark Press and Refresh (GS500) (Misc.)
I've been using this $70 fabric steamer for less than a year, and it was working very nicely. Recently the steam started lessening and then one day the base got really hot and POW! It gave a loud pop, and no more steam. I called the manufacturer and was told that there was nothing they could do. No repair. No replacement. No coupons for inconvenience. Nothing. This is my first, and will be my last Shark product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, July 3, 2011
This review is from: Shark Press and Refresh (GS500) (Misc.)
I just bought this item in lieu of a new iron/board because with a 20% off coupon it was about the same price, and I liked the idea of being able to clean my furniture, curtains, comforters, etc. I already cleaned all of the above and ironed a few clothing items with amazing results. I really like having a clean house and looking nice with minimal effort so this is exactly what I needed. My couches looked brand new after steaming them, which is saying something since I bought them used and have 2 cats who love to sleep on them!

To address the other reviews about the weight, reservoir, and size of the ironing pad: it is a little heavy, but it is worth the convenience that with the long chord and quick heat up time you can be completely portable. In order to have the portability and the large amount of 130+ degree steam, there has to be some bulk. I don't know how long people are spending on '1 cardigan' but the reservoir let me steam: 1 couch, 1 chair, and 2 window curtains. As for the size of the pad, don't you have to reposition everything on the regular ironing board? How is this different? If it was larger then people would complain that it took up the entire door etc.

Overall this is a great product if you are looking for a steam cleaner/iron. The attachments are great (especially the lint one thanks to the above mentioned pets!) I can literally see all of the dirt on the upholstery cleaner attachment that was removed. Shocking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Steam Press!!!, March 2, 2011
This review is from: Shark Press and Refresh (GS500) (Misc.)
I don't usually review the products that I purchase but was compelled to do write one for this product. Why? Because if I would have left it up to some of the reviewers I would have never purchased it.

Let me be clear, I am reviewing THIS PRODUCT, not the shipping, customer service or price.

This item was not purchased on Amazon because I was able to find a much better price from a different company but after using it I would have been happy paying the full price that Shark is asking for on their infomercials. Seriously.

My laundry situation at the moment is not impressive at all. I recently moved to an apartment with no washer/dryer hookups and didn't feel like dragging my Haier Washer / Dryer Combo - 11 lb. Capacity up two flights up stairs. Plus rolling that thing around is a pain IMO so it will be going in storage until I move back into a house. I am currently using a Wonderwash(which cleans great BTW) and a Mini Countertop Spin Dryer Clothes Spin Dryer Portable Clothes Dryer or the Centrifugal Clothes Portable Spin Dryer. <== Yes, I loved the small one so much that I purchased the larger one. No regrets with those either if you were interested. :-) So let's just say with those items there are a lot of wrinkles going on...a lot. Especially my son's clothes and he has some beautiful button down shirts and nice pants so I wanted the clothes to look as nice as possible. Honestly, I want his clothes to LOOK like they have been dry cleaned!

It took me a long time to settle between a garment steamer or a pants press because I used to be a clothes presser at a dry cleaner so I knew exactly what I wanted and wasn't happy with anything that I saw, until the Shark Press & Refresh. For me the Wrinkle Eraser (the iron bar at the top) sealed the deal for me in my mind. Well after purchasing the product I see that my wait was worth it. This product presses fabulously!

It is not heavy to me at all so I can't agree with other reviewers who called using the press "a workout" nor is it cheaply made. The press mat for the door is great and it stayed put without any issues. The two things that I did not like were the velcro clips, IMO they were useless and caused more wrinkles then smoothing out with my hands and pressing that way and sometimes the steam pad (little triangle one) would pop off.

It is important to read the instructions first to know which press attachments work best with what fabrics. It is the key to having beautifully press, steamed and wrinkle free clothes with no snagging.

My clothes which are usually a bit stiff due to air-drying in the home and lifeless are now loose and flowing as they should be. The steamer does a great job with loosening up sweater fibers so that they hang well. It also does a great job gliding over buttons for a crisp look and pressing pockets without leaving that ugly shiny look at some irons leave.

So how much do I like this item you may be asking? Enough to purchase another one tomorrow for my mother, I'm telling all of my co-workers about it and at the sale that I got (ended up only paying $47.99 after coupons, etc) I will be picking up another one for myself. What can I say...I like having backups. LOL!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Steamer, February 5, 2012
This review is from: Shark Press and Refresh (GS500) (Misc.)
Let me start off by saying I purchased the product from Target. Got it on sale but the pricing was about the same.
I have owned many steamers since about 2006. Throughout the years I have used mostly Conair as they seemed to be the best quality for the price ranging from their 39.99 compact model to more expensive upright models about 79.99. Steam propulsion stream was moderate and it did the job.
Rowetta upright was disappointing , did not heat up quickly, poor durability and did not have propulsion needed. Broke after six mos. needless to say , I returned to conair brand until my most recent SHARK purchase.

Why Shark? I have the vaccum,steam mop and Iron. They are pushing out quality products for most housholds and continue on their innovative streak while remaining mindful to other products.

My Shark steamer is portable. I love this! Yes it is heavier but if you investigate other portable steamers this thing really packs a punch. Yes you have to fill it up a bit more frequently as the tank is smaller due to portable size. I believe the initial weight is necessary to have an appropriate size heating chamber that will get the steam hot enough to do something and if it had a larger tank it would be even heavier. Can't have everything folks.

THis steamer works better than any other I have owned and I have replace my uprights with this. WHy? I door board is PORTABLE and so is the steamer. It does a fantastic job. I hold the trigger down most of the time but it seems natural considering you have to grip the handle anyway. I board works fine.

For those inexperienced with steaming, it does not replace the ironing board for cloths that are left in the dryer for a week, sorry. Or clothing that is left in a pile in the closet smashed into a laundry basket.
Steaming is for refreshening and steaming out mild to moderate wrinkles that remain after removing cloths from the dryer or wrinkles that you would get from wearing clothing and you need to refresh it for one more wearing. It is great for fixing up cloths that are taken on vacation and have been packed in a suit case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great steamer for the price., April 21, 2012
M2KDS "Kris" (Huntington Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shark Press and Refresh (GS500) (Misc.)
This steamer comes with a collapsible terry cloth board to hang on the back of your door with clips to hold your clothes in place while you steam which work great. It has several attachments for the steamer for different applications such as drape panels etc. It works really well. It is a little on the heavy side but my 12 year daughter uses it to steam out her school uniforms so it isn't that heavy. We are glad we bought it and we find that we use it a lot on many of our clothes. Shark makes quality products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea - poorly executed, January 16, 2011
This review is from: Shark Press and Refresh (GS500) (Misc.)
I've owned this steamer for one week. Too bad the design team failed. The steam bonnet with it's frame is loosened by the steam and falls off. It just needs a catch molded into the frame. Astonishing decision by the engineers to exclude that.
Drips on the clothes - regardless how often I sop up condensation.
Filler cap slowly leaks - dripping water onto my hand - no excuse for leaks on an expensive handheld electric appliance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Way too heavy, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Shark Press and Refresh (GS500) (Misc.)
It was time to replace my old iron, so a friend suggested this iron because she had seen the commercials for it. I could tell right away that the vertical pad was too short-I wear a long inseam, so my pants hung below the pad. I plugged in the steamer and tried my first pair of pants. As you pull the steamer down, the fabric bunches and wrinkles near the edge of the garment(on an ironing board you can apply pressure to the edge with your hands, but not with the vertical pad). My pants did not press on both sides as claimed, and the time it takes to flip them make this a real time-waster.
The steamer is very heavy. I can't imagine doing a week's worth of work clothes with this. It probably weighs the same as a regular iron, but you are constantly lifting it. I quit after trying to press 2 pairs of pants.
This is going back to the store today.

Shark Press and Refresh (GS500)
$69.99 $65.07