1,233 Reviews

3,593 of 3,693 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasantly surprised
*** 8 Month Update at the bottom of this review ***

First let me start by saying that overall as a brand I strongly dislike Shark. I don't have anything against them personally but the endless annoying and trashy infomercials and the fact that a lot of their older vacuums sucked beyond belief, I honestly am not too thrilled with them as a company.

A...
Published on October 28, 2012 by Michael Flux

3.0 out of 5 stars Time will tell
Like most, I was reluctant to buy this vacuum due to the Shark brand and how heavily they're pushed on infomercials. But after using the vac there are a lot of things I like about it. However, all the good things that I like are waging a battle in my brain with how damn ugly and cheap this thing looks. The pictures don't translate how bad the shiny red and silver chrome...
Published 17 months ago by DA

3.0 out of 5 stars Good vacuum- they will all overheat, November 12, 2013
This review is from: Shark Rotator Lift-Away Professional Upright Vacuum (NV502) (Misc.)
I got this vac when nothing else could stand up to my German shepherds fur, not even our older Miele. Im not rich so I couldn't run out and buy a dyson, so I did my research and decided this was the best for fur control. When the vac arrived I went on a cleaning frenzy and started vacuuming everything, then I took it outside to clean my car. I got to the driver side seat before it unexpectedly shut off and would not turn back on. I thought my dogs fur had broken the vacuum but it turned out to be overheated. I kept the vacuum because it does an amazing job, although it never fails to over heat and shut off after 20 to 30 min of vacuuming. I found this is a common problem others have with sharks. If it did not overheat I would have given it 5 stars because I really do think they have a great product, it just needs some modifications.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shark NV502 Really Sucks!! In a good way!, January 27, 2014
Just arrived today. Assembled in about 10 minutes, actually most of that time was getting it out of the box. Very easy to assemble; for me it was intuitive and easy. Afer I got it together I vaccumed the entire house, floors and carpets. When I was finished I had 1/2 of the dirt canister full of dirt and dust. We had just vaccumed the house last week with our old vaccum cleaner so I now understand the difference between this and that.

Prior to buying this we looked at many, many, many (get the drift?) models and manufacturers. We were finally down to the best Dyson Animal and this NV502. One final test drive and we were convinced that this was the best one for us. Now don't get me wrong, the Dyson is a very fine product, BUT the Shark just out preformed it in every test we could think of doing. The Shark also picked up things the Dyson missed on the first pass, but that was not the only thing. Price and suction were the final factors the made our decision for us.

Pros: 1. All Switches and buttons on or near handle. Easy on/off & brush operation.
2. Five (5) year Warranty (yet very few reviews complained of defects)
3. Price - compare to many others and see how much yoou get here
4. Power - really has a lot of suction and got dirt and dust we did not know was there
5. Sealed HEPA System - not just the filter - but fully sealed Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology
6. Accessories: Premium Turbo Brush, 12" Crevice Tool, Dusting Brush, Straight Suction Nozzle, Canister Caddy (allows you
to take just the canister around for cleaning and leave to floor tool behind. A really great option for high
cleaning and curtains.), and a Home & Car Detail Kit (mini tools for the car or computer that is also sold
seperately for many other models).

Cons: 1. Cord winds and is not retractable like a canister model (wow - you have to spend an extra 30 to 45 seconds manually
winding the cord). It is also not as long as some others I looked at, this is only 30 feet, which seems long, but still
requires three outlets to do the whle house. (sorry I am lazy and this is a con for me.)
2. Not a Dyson so some of you will not even consider this unot, but should.

Overall we are very pleased with this purchase and would recommend it. If things change I will of course update this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 13, 2012
Christo "CJK" (Central, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I was about to buy a Dyson DC40 until I saw the rotator 3 in 1 model in Bed Bath & Beyond for 1/2 the price, I believe it's the NV502 model. Shark states it performs better than the Dyson DC40 too. I really like this vacuum, works great and seems to be really well made.

Things I like:

Reasonably light
Small footprint, not bulky like other vacuums
LED lights provide good lighting
Great on board tools
Easiest using hose/wand around
Converts to a canister with one button (Could not be easier)
Fantastic suction plus variable suction control on the handle (great feature)
Really provides a complete seal for the HEPA filter so no dust particles in the air
Build Quality and materials feel very high
1/2 the price of a Dyson DC40
Looks nice

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better than Expected!, January 20, 2014
HJU (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this machine on a recommendation by my friend and I will simply say I was shocked at how well it works! I had very low expectations and I'm a pretty big appliance snob. I research things fanatically and this vacuum isn't rated all that great on Consumer Reports. It's a recommended product, but there were several others more highly recommended. I ordered a Panasonic canister vacuum (Currently rated #3 on Consumer Reports) to replace my other highly rated Kenmore canister vacuum, but I needed something to use in the meantime because it was back-ordered I thought my Kenmore canister vacuum was the greatest thing ever and I still maintain it was easier to use in general than this Shark, but WOW did this Shark suck up an insane amount of dirt and dust from my carpet and rugs. So, after vacuuming with this the first time I realized the Kenmore wasn't all I had imagined it to be. This vacuum is a pretty cool gadget I must say. It comes with a million attachments I feel like, which is a pro and con in my book. I'm sure it will do anything you need it to do, but you're gonna have to stop and switch out an attachment every time you want to change jobs. It is super easy to maneuver and very easy to unclog as everything is almost see-through. No bags or filters to replace so zero maintenance costs also. My favorite things are the incredibly strong suction and the air filtration. I have never seen my house so dust-free since getting this vacuum. I can tell without a doubt the air in my home is noticeably cleaner - because the vacuum is getting more junk out of the carpet and also because it filters the air as you vacuum. That is a huge pro to me because we have 4 small children (2 with asthma) and my husband has horrendous allergies so I definitely need a good vacuum. I don't like that I have to empty the canister several times before my whole house is vacuumed and I feel like the attachments are kind of a pain in the butt to keep switching out. I do have a lot of floor to vacuum though (3300 sq ft) and apparently my Kenmore wasn't doing a great job so maybe after I've used this machine for a while it won't be sucking up all the leftover dirt/dust and won't need to be emptied quite as often. I still highly recommend this machine despite the drawbacks I mentioned. It does such a great job and is so versatile I can totally overlook the few minor flaws I mentioned. In summary here are the pros and cons in my book:

Pros:
Extremely versatile - has an attachment for anything & everything you could possibly need to do
Extraordinary air filtration - zero odors coming out and the air smells crisp and clean when you're done
No bags or filters to change out so no maintenance costs
3-in-1, can be converted to a canister vacuum, carried around or standard upright
Super easy to clear any clogs that may occur
Great for allergy sufferers because of completely sealed air circulation
Never loses suction
Much more affordable than comparative brands
Excellent warranty from Shark (and excellent customer service I've heard)
Long electrical cord
Long-reach extending hose
Can easily switch the brush roll on or off

Cons:
The cord is a manual rewind not automatic (not a huge deal, I'm being picky there I know)
I feel like the brush head is a little narrow requiring more passes back and forth
I'm still not super crazy about the bagless canister, seems dirty to empty & sort of defeats the air filtration right?

Overall, I really am pleasantly surprised and I plan to keep this machine and cancel the order for the Panasonic canister. Highly recommend you give this a try if you're on the fence.

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor quality and an unscrupulous seller, February 5, 2014
I want to warn anyone considering this vacuum cleaner not to purchase it and furthermore not to purchase anything from plasticbargains. The vacuum electric cord ripped after 8 uses due to a poor design that causes the cord to become easily caught in the joint between the base and the upright portion of the vacuum. Once you have put it into vacuum position, as you are moving it around, if the cord goes into the joint you cannot see it and there is no safety mechanism to keep you from being able to return it to the upright position and therefore squishing and damaging the cord. Since the plastic around the cord is flimsy, it damages even if this happens only once. Plasticbargains would not replace or refund the vacuum even though we were within the 30 day limit from purchase. The best they would offer us was 30% of our purchase price returned!!! Not good! Also after calling Shark and speaking to a representative, who admitted that this damage should not have happened, they only agreed to repair or replace it if we paid all shipping costs!! So that means another $40 dollars on the ticket price of this item! For us, I think we will just buy a Dyson in the future and NEVER do buisness with Plasticbargains again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware., August 29, 2014
Buyer Beware! I purchased this vacuum several months ago at a club store. I was immediately impressed with its cleaning ability and great suction. It seemed to "grab" the carpet and thoroughly clean it. Unfortunately, a month later, my husband became ill and eventually had to enter hospice. In that time I was not able to clean my home regularly so I was only able to use my new shark once a month at best. Yes, a handful of times. So imagine my surprise when I went to use it yesterday and the roller would no longer spin. I immediately called the company. They had me go thru the steps and turn it on and off etc... etc... the vacuum was going but the rollers were not. They told me I needed to send it to them at my cost which would have been about $40 and then I would have to pay to have it sent back to me! What a joke! I overpaid for this "thing" to begin with and only used it a few times and now I have to invest more money into it? And to make matters worse, I am now going to have to pay to have it taken to the dump which will be $25. If I could give this vacuum no stars I would! And customer service would get an F! unacceptable! Horrible company and horrible product. Junk plain and simple. I am going back to Hoover vacuums which is my advice to everyone

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good for hardwood floors!!!!!!!!!, May 4, 2014
Sidney "Hi" (Bakersfield, ca United States) - See all my reviews
I got sucked into the infomercial and all the "its so great, has so much suction, better than the more expensive ones". I was living in a condo with stairs and was buying a house with all hardwood floors so I thought this would be great. I was SOOOOOOOOO wrong. It was impossible to clean the stairs with this thing. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong when I attached the stair brush but the problem is the angle of the brush when connected to the wand. It does not sit flat on the surface. To make it go over the flat stair, you have to stand three to four steps below the one you are cleaning. Now thats fine for the middle to top stair but what about the bottom 4 stairs? It hurt my back every time. It seems like the angle is designed so that it is flat if you are down on your knees vacuming the stairs. I don't want to be crawling up my stairs clean them. The angle for the attachment that is supposed to clean ceiling fan blades is all wrong too. You would have to be on top of the ceiling fan for this to sit correctly.
Since moving to hardwood floor house, I have also found that the angle of the attachments is off just a bit for everything. They just don't seem to sit flat on the floor. Or you have to bend over to make them sit flat on the floor.
As to the suction power of this vacum, I was not thrilled with it on wall to wall carpet. With harwood floors - I'm buying something else. Its horrible on hardwood floors. If you turn off the beater brush, it doesn't pick up anything. If you turn the beater brush on, it just blows stuff around. It doesn't pick up anything in the corners or the edges which is exactly where the dust and pet hair goes with hardwood floors. The other thing about the rolling canister is that it would seem perfect but it rolls wrong and keeps falling over. Instead of following behind you, it rolls into the wall.
I can't return it now because I bought it 4 or 5 months ago so I just have to accept that I got sucker punched by an infomercial. I'm surprised at all the good reviews because I would never recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good product (for awhile), misleading warranty, September 8, 2014
R. Adams (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
We've had this vacuum for 11 months and it has functioned very well by in large. Recently, however, the powered beater bar on the brush attachment quit working. The company, however, states that there is NO warranty on attachments - just the main unit. Our only options were according to customer service were: 1) buy a new unit at a reduced cost. 2) Pay shipping both ways (w/ minimum of $20 for them to ship back to us. 3) Buy new accessory for $20.

1.0 out of 5 stars 90 day guarantee!, December 10, 2013
Lost suction. Yep, the vacuum that never, ever loses suction did (after less than 60 days). Called the Help line and we went through all of the steps I had already done, taking it apart looking for a clog. YOU DO NOT HAVE a guarantee for five years, like you think you do, just because the commercials say so. If you buy it here on Amazon, you have only a 90 day warranty. I hope I can return mine.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star For Upright Suction, May 4, 2014
I have had a Dyson DC07 Full Kit for approximately 5 years (probably longer; I am really bad at keeping track of the passage of years). In that time I was about to have to replace the hose for the third time. Additionally, I needed 3 other new parts. The total for parts was going to be right at $200 so I thought maybe I'd consider a replacement instead.

I bought the NV502 at BB&B based upon lots of good reviews. I was assured by two sales persons that I could return the vacuum for any reason, at any time. Here are the reasons I don't like it at all and will be returning ASAP:
1. As an upright, it is very back-heavy. It falls over backwards at the slightest provocation, so I found it very impractical to use the hose without removing the lift-away part. In this configuration, any slight tug on the hose (which is quite short) pulls the unit onto its backside. I want to be able to quickly reach for something that requires the hose while right there using the upright, but it's more trouble than it's worth since it tips so easily. Additionally, it will tip backwards fairly easily even when not using the hose. Any lack of balance while putting it in the closet, or whatever, and it will fall over even if it's clicked into the most upright position. This is only somewhat of a nuisance and was not a deal-killer.

2. As stated, the hose is very short, so using it as a hard-floor cleaner in its canister capacity is still somewhat inconvenient because on its wheel base, it tools-along very close to my heels, and if it gets caught on any piece of furniture or its own cord, as canisters do easily and often, you cannot just rely on there being enough reach with this short hose. A significant down-side for me.

3. I have an upholstery attachment from my Dyson that I use a lot and what do you know, the attachments for the Dyson will not fit on the tube of the Shark (my old Kirby attachments fit on my Dyson, though). I was unhappy about that. Why not standardize these things in the industry? The answer, of course, is proprietary (i.e. the opportunity to make more $$$$). Not a HUGE deal in itself, but disappointing especially given...

4. I do not at all like the grip of the somewhat elliptical handle. It's fine as an upright and for hard floor work, but very uncomfortable to me when using the little (and kind of silly) turbine attachment, which, without being able to use my Dyson upholstery attachment, is the only thing to use on furniture (that is unless I want to spend more and order the upholstery tool from Shark). I simply do not like the configuration of this handle. My Dyson canister conversion set-up has no handle, just the plastic round piece that is easy to hold on to.

5. The footprint of both the upright and the floor attachment is narrower than I'm used to which simply means it takes more time to vacuum the same area.

6. I cannot understand the comments about it being quiet. As an upright on carpets, it WHIIIIIIIRS quite loudly and always in protest when I am pulling it backwards. The brush seems to turn so vigorously that the unit seems almost self-propelled (a good thing); but that seems to add the shrill sound it makes. This is not a big issue; either. I don't really care about the sound level.

7. What is with Shark appliances and plugs??! This is the second Shard vacuum product I've owned and they both have this problem. They do NOT plug into the outlet tightly at all. This machine is a bit better than my other unit, which is the combination crumb vacuum/floor steamer machine. That one's plug will out-right fall out of the outlet. This one barely stays in. I don't like that at all and 2 out of 2 Shark items I've had have this problem.

8. The dust cup looks large but the back of it is entirely indented so its capacity is actually not that great. Not a great big deal, but something to consider.

9. I gave the vacuum one star because it really does seem to clean carpets well; probably better than my Dyson. But here's the kicker. Most of my house is hard floors. I only have carpet in 4 bedrooms and a little in the sink sections of 2 bathrooms. I had vacuumed my carpets only 2 or 3 times when the brush on the Shark Rotator suddenly stopped turning. I have no idea why. I looked at the bottom and saw a small door attached with plastic screws, so I turned them and all that was there was a small hose to open to clear of blockage. But that was not the problem so I closed that up. I messed with it for awhile to see if it would start to work, but it didn't. I had to finish the job with my Dyson. Whatever the case, something that breaks after 3 normal uses doesn't get a second chance from me.

I have already ordered, and received, my Dyson replacement parts. Now to see if BB&B will really take this Shark Rotator back.