5 Stars: For Lovers of Spectacularly Bad Movies (or the woefully inebriated)
1 Stars: For Everyone Else (or anyone remotely sober)

Published 12 months ago by K. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars This movie is so bad you have to watch it.
Acting: Bad.
Plot: Bad.
Special Effects: Really Bad.
But how can you not watch something with a title like that.
Published 9 months ago by listenhere

5.0 out of 5 stars Attack of Bad Movie Magic: SyFy Scores With One Of The Most Spectacularly Brain Dead Productions Of All Time, July 12, 2013
This review is from: Sharknado [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
5 Stars: For Lovers of Spectacularly Bad Movies (or the woefully inebriated)
1 Stars: For Everyone Else (or anyone remotely sober)

Through the years, I have seen some truly awful original movies produced for the SyFy channel (many of the most ludicrous courtesy of a company that calls itself The Asylum). Truthfully, I revel in these terrible little films hoping that one will transcend the genre and become what I like to refer to as Bad Movie Magic. I must say that with "Sharknado," Syfy and The Asylum have hit an absolute home run in creating a movie so ineptly comical that it must be seen to be believed. I laughed, I cringed, and I delighted in every moment of this epic production. In order to truly appreciate "Sharknado" and its intricate screenplay, you must completely ignore everything you know about weather, sharks, AND Los Angeles. The stupidity (I mean intensity) never relents! Either you are a fan of these types of movies or you're not. But if you are watching a film entitled "Sharknado," I don't want to hear afterwards how dumb you thought it was! What did you expect? It's called "Sharknado!" Everyone, from the executives of SyFy to the filmmakers to the cast and crew, knew what they were making. I'm just surprised they could keep a straight face.

I'm only going to discuss the plot itself in the briefest of terms. A hurricane off the coast of Mexico is pushing up toward the California coast bringing a passel of sharks with it. What kind of sharks? Every kind, of course, and they are all ready to rip any innocent bystander to shreds! As luck would have it, these storms cause a flooding of Los Angeles with sharks swimming through the streets as well as water spouts that ravage the city with sharks literally flying through the air. It's hysterical. One might be tempted to feel sorry for the critters, surely such an anomaly would be killing them. Instead of gasping for breath or succumbing to this traumatic form of transportation, however, these land bound (or midair) sharks only want to kill. Nasty little buggers! In the midst of the escalating catastrophe, the hero (Beverly Hills 91210 Ian Ziering provides the star power, such as it is) races from Santa Monica to Beverly Hills to Van Nuys to reunite his family. When your ex-wife is Tara Reid, though, I say "why bother?"

The movie is punctuated by some truly hilarious scenes. It's hard to pick out just a few favorites. This is just a sample, just a taste:

1) A devastating shark attack on the beach has the extras running back and forth screaming on a perpetual loop.
2) In the very next scene, the bar on the pier is operating as normal. No one is concerned about the dozens of casualties. And one minute before total destruction, patrons are still shooting pool and having fun!
3) A tornado rips apart the Van Nuys airport whisking away planes, but Ziering keeps everyone safe by holding on to a piece of corrugated tin. Right next door, senior citizens are still enjoying a swim in their pool.
4) As part of the thrilling conclusion (don't worry, no spoilers here), the helicopter that might save the day is seen over downtown, the Hollywood Bowl, and Staples Center. All of the action, however, is witnessed by those in Van Nuys. Ziering even shoots a shark over downtown while in the Valley.
5) The ending: An absolute classic and I'll say no more.

But I could go on and on: the school bus, the Hollywood sign, people standing in an underpass, traffic that appears and disappears, scenes in the sun one second and in the rain the next, scenes where everything is flooded and then the water is gone and then it is back. The continual continuity errors are the most charming thing about "Sharknado." Seriously, have some friends over and create a drinking game. Every time the continuity makes no sense, have a shot. Just keep an ambulance ready to service those that get alcohol poisoning. I don't like hyperbole, but in this case I can't resist. "Sharknado" may just be one of the most spectacularly bad movies I have ever seen (and I've seen them all). Whether or not that's a recommendation, I'll let you decide. KGHarris, 7/13.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Remember the Last Time I Laughed So Hard, July 12, 2013
This review is from: Sharknado (DVD)
Better than any scripted comedy I've seen this year. Tornadoes forming on bright sunny days! Sharks that can breathe oxygen for long enough to rip through cars! And best of all, Biblical allegory! I howled till my sides hurt. The next time you're in a bad mood, try watching this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even my wife was sucked into watching Sharknado!, July 12, 2013
This review is from: Sharknado [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
For anyone who is a fan of being entertained. They do not try to do anything else with this movie, other than show you how crazy you can get with a modest budget and some low end acting and effects.

Get the movie, pretend you are at a drive inn theater with some good high school friends and enjoy yourself for a couple of hours!

My entire family crashed my movie night and watched this with me. We could not believe half the stuff we were seeing, then came the chainsaws and we were almost rolling on the floor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intellectually Stimulating, September 14, 2013
It's a bunch of sharks in a tornado. How can that not be five stars? I would give it ten if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars I must own this horrible, awesome piece of I don't eve know, July 11, 2013
This review is from: Sharknado (DVD)
Out of all the SYFY offerings about killer sharks and the vapid bikini beach bodies they eat, this one is hands down the best. Camp, stupid, awesome, mind-bogglingly put together with no regard for science, physics, or common sense, its what all the other SYFY shark movies wanted to be, but could never quite reach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the most complete movie EVER, July 12, 2013
This review is from: Sharknado (DVD)
My wife, she isn't into sci-fi as much as I am. And me, I'm not into SyFy much to be honest (note the difference).

However, there is absolutely no way we would have missed Sharknado for all the money in the world.

And. We. Weren't. Disappointed.

I don't even know where to begin, so I simply will not. You must watch this for yourself. Keep an open mind. I live-tweeted the entire movie along with 3/4 of Twitter. The tweets were almost better than the movie (but not really...the movie...is...so...AWESOME!).

There will never be a time like this when humanity came together as one, unless there is a Sharknado II that reaches our television screens.

I will never look at a chainsaw the same way again!

4.0 out of 5 stars I saw the title and said, "I've gotta watch this.", September 25, 2013
This review is from: Sharknado (DVD)
I caught this when SyFy did a rerun, which apparently set a record for viewings for SyFy re-runs. I didn't know anything about it, but when I saw the title I started relishing the hours until it came on. I knew what I was looking forward to (think "Snakes on a Plane") and this movie delivers the goods. It's a C+ movie, sure, and you can add a gazillion "+"s--but in the end it is a C movie--it wallows in its C-ness. But that's all it wants to be. It's a perfect movie to have some friends over for and enjoy an evening. Part of the fun is doing commentary--the movie invites it. I hope the video has the tweets that occurred during the presentation.

The actors all play it straight to their credit. And there is some good acting--in the sense that the view is engaged with the characters despite the absurdities flying around the atmosphere.

But, having seen it, I probably won't buy a DVD. Once, was very satisfying--a guilty pleasure that I savor as a memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not watch this alone., August 20, 2013
Mr. Doc (Fairbanks, AK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sharknado (DVD)
From laughable special FX to scenes full of so many inconsistencies it would make a script supervisor throw up, "Sharknado" is the perfect party film. Buy it, invite your friends over and prepare to watch your TV drop one giant turd into your living room. Of all the "films" (using the term here loosely) I've seen this summer, this is the one I've talked about the most.

5.0 out of 5 stars Partly cloudy with a chance of Sharknado, September 29, 2013
This review is from: Sharknado (Amazon Instant Video)
So bad, it's bad. If you're in the mood for a really bad movie this is the best worst movie out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tribute to Ed Wood, October 15, 2013
This review is from: Sharknado [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
For anyone who remembers "Plan Nine from Outer Space," "Bride of the Monster," etc. by Edward D Wood Jr., Sharknoda is a fitting CGI tribute to the Ed Wood mark of excellence: Dialogue like real people speak everyday, situations that push Sci-Fi credibility beyond the pale, CGI sea creatures that challenge the sheer realism of Ed's motorized Octopus that does final battle with Bela Lugosi! The Ghoul, Sir Graves Ghastly, and other local monster-movie hosts of a bygone era would be proud to know that the tradition of low-budget terror-humor lives on. Pluck your magic twanger foggy!

Sharknado