Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Baby Sale

on April 1, 2013
Purchased this TV about 2 weeks ago, based on the good reputation of it's predecessor (the 640U), and after a couple tweaks, I'm very pleased overall with it.

HOW TO GET RID OF THE SOAP OPERA EFFECT:
Turning off the Motion Enhancement alone will NOT solve it. You also have to go to Picture Settings -> Advanced -> Film Mode, make sure Film Mode is on, and turn down the "Advanced" item. I turned it down from 7 to 0 and viola - The Walking Dead no longer looks like General Hospital. Although it's not labeled on the menu, the manual indicates that this setting is the Judder Reduction.

PICTURE: Right out of the box, Sports looked great, but all of our usual shows and movies looked very strange. Upon Googling the "Soap Opera Effect," I found plenty of info on how to correct it, but when turning off the Motion Enhancement didn't do anything, I was pretty worried. I was almost ready to return the TV, but after playing around a little more with the settings, I discovered the above, and now everything looks AMAZING! We have it set on Standard Mode, and with the above adjustments, movies look like you're in the theater and basketball looks like you're IN the arena!

SOUND: This is my only complaint. I was prepared for this after reading a lot of reviews - apparently the sound is bad on all of these new giant LED TVs. But it's really bad - sounds tinny, like it's coming out of laptop computer speakers. I just figured it couldn't be THAT bad, but the sound on my 37" Toshiba destroys it. I paired the TV with the Sony HTCT260 Sound Bar Home Theater System which I got on sale for $250, and it sounds phenomenal! True home theater setup - couldn't ask for anything more. I'm not taking off stars for the sound issue since I knew what I was getting into going into it and had planned on buying a sound bar system.

INTERNET: Wifi was easy to set up. I skipped it in the initial setup and went back in and did Manual Setup, and I was able to easily find and connect to my wireless network, just like connecting any other device. We don't have Netflix, so I haven't tested that, but I watched about 15 minutes of YouTube videos on there and it didn't freeze or buffer a single time. Pandora also works nicely for party music. I do wish it had Amazon Instant Video as an app, but I'm able to get this through my Blue Ray player anyway.

MOUNTING: I mounted it on the wall with a Cheetah Mounts Plasma LCD Flat Screen TV Articulating Full Motion Dual Arm Wall Mount Bracket For 32-65" Displays Up To 165LBS With 10' High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet Fits Up To 24" Studs, and it feels solid and looks great. I love the thin frame and the fact that the Sharp logo isn't huge on there. Wish the power cable was a smidge longer - it was *just* long enough to get through the wall, out the bottom, and into the power strip.

WARRANTY: I got a 3 year extended warranty directly from Sharp (that starts after the 15 month manufacturer warranty ends) for only $110.
4545 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 15, 2014
I bought this television in December 2013. I have had it for 6 months. it has developed a green vertical line down the left side of the screen. I called amazon and they said I need to talk to sharp. after taking 15 pictures and emailing them to sharp, they called to inform me that they don't have a return policy with amazon. my only option will be to accept a refurbished unit, which they don't have in stock. so they will send it to me once they have one. this tells me that I am waiting for someone to return a television so they can refurbish and send to me. I am very disappointed with sharp and will never purchase their product again. I am also disappointed with amazon for not backing up their sales.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 3, 2013
After semi-seriously researching new TVs for a month I finally decided to purchase the 60LE650U. I auditioned it locally along with competing TVs I was considering (Samsung UN60EH6000 and Vizio e601I-A3 to name a couple). The first things that stood out with the Sharp were the superior contrast ratio and deep black levels. Picture coloration seemed quite natural...it didn't appear to be skewed towards any color. Viewing in the store was enough for me to make my decision.

I observed the same "soap opera effect" out of the box that other reviewers commented on and followed thier instructions for how to eliminate this. After a little tweaking, motion seemed natural. The first thing I tried out was the Netflix app. After downloading an update, it launched Netflix no problem. After initial buffering of 5-10 seconds loading a movie everything played smoothly with zero lag whatsoever. I had previously been streaming Netflix from my computer to my old 720p Sony LCD TV. In short, I had no idea the kind of resolution I observed on the Sharp was even possible through Netflix...I was blown away by the quality of streaming content (Thor was impressive to say the least). I haven't made it through all the apps yet, but the ones I have tried and the interface are very nice.

In dark viewing with very dark scenes a little edge bleed can be seen originating in the corners of the screen and progressively fading extending about 3 inches out. This is quite faint however on my unit and is nearly impossible to notice under average viewing conditions. That is my only minor complaint about the screen. Otherwise the lighting and picture are very uniform and the overall quality of the set seems quite impressive for the price.

So far, zero regret about this purchase & would make again...
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 28, 2013
I upgraded from a Samsung 50" Plasma which only lasted about 2 1/3 years (4 months out of extended BB warranty) that had suddenly developed the dreaded "vertical blue lines" down the center. Originally, I thought to just bite the bullet and buy the 60" Samsung LED that they now had on sale, but noticed that -- for $100 more than what I paid for my new Sharp -- it only had two (2!!!) HDMI inputs and no extended "SmartTV" functionality at all.

In the first review I read here for my new Sharp 60le650 TV before buying, it was all about the "Soap Opera Effect" and how to turn that unintential setting off/down... I'd point people to that review and say it's almost 100% on the money. Once I turned off that "feature", the picture I get is just outstanding.

What I can tell you about the Sharp 60LE650 sitting in my living room is this;

- PICTURE QUALITY : Yes, out of the box, you'll want to tinker with the picture and sound quality settings. You'll also need to turn DOWN the Picture Settings >> Advanced >> Film Mode to ZERO (not off, just down). Because of the great reviews here, setting up my TV to my likings (and the DVD calibration thing) took about an hour. Now that it's adjusted, I could not ask for a better picture quality.

My one potential issue is the automatic dimming (Energy star settings?) of the screen to accommodate light or dark rooms. In the older analog days, when a light turned on or off in a room, the TV set would adjust gradually (within a few seconds). My Sharp (and I'm hoping it's only a setting) seems to be so sensitive that in a dark room, the image goes bright or dark instantly with changes to the scene on the screen itself. Even a white screen being shown causes the TV to go a little wonky trying to self-adjust the brightness.

I tried turning off the energy star auto dimming features, but then the screen got unbelievably bright/washed out and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. As annoyances go -- as I said -- all TV's do the same, I'm just maybe a little unaccustomed to it on this set, having gone from Plasma to LED overnight.

- SOUND : If you're used to massive, theater-level surround sound and 20hz to 20khz bass response, you will be disappointed by the built-in speakers. There's just now way around that, but I'm honestly surprised by the idea that ANYONE could possibly be surprised by this. Apples and Oranges.

If you're like me (apartment dweller, courteous to my neighbors), the built-in speakers are just fine. I turned on the automatic volume leveling -- to help with the annoying commercials -- and bass improvement options and *I* believe it'll suit me well. It's certainly no worse than my former Samsung. That being said, I've never really done surround sound receivers and such as it really freaks out the pets... :)

- SMART TV options : The Sharp 650 series comes with built-in functionality for Netflix, Hulu, and seemingly a "dozen" other features including a web browser. I tried the Netflix functionality out as soon as I got the picture sorted, and the best I can say is "it works". I have to confess that I'm a bit spoiled, as I currently use an AppleTV unit almost exclusively for my TV time. The AppleTV simply does it all better, faster, and more conveniently than the built-in functionality. The only thing my AppleTV doesn't have is a web browser, but I could honestly never see using the TV's web browser for anything unless I bought a bluetooth mouse and keyboard or I was desperate and didn't have my iPad (or laptop) nearby.

In summary, and all in all, Let me say this.

For the price I paid (NIB, on sale), this is an incredible TV set for the money. Unless you're expecting a $5000 TV for around the $1000 mark, you will not be disappointed. Just know that you'll have to spend a little time getting it "tuned" to your own ideal picture. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with almost every aspect of the Sharp 60LE650.

As for long-term life expectancy of the set, I can only hope it's better than the 2-year-old Samsung plasma it replaces, or that the extended warranty is worth more than the paper it's printed on.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 25, 2014
This tv has a great picture but I would never buy it again. It lasted 14 months and went out. Sharp will not stand behind it. Don't buy any Sharp tv. Research error codes and you will see how many people have had the same thing happen. The service costs more than a new tv. The only reason I give it 1 star is because 0 is not available.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2013
This is a nice TV, the picture is fantastic but the audio and video go out of sync on occasion. I contacted Sharp about this, and they had me change some video settings. This helped but did not totally eliminate the problem. I'm hoping that a future software update will resolve this issue.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 27, 2014
I really want to be able to come here after 16 months of ownership (purchased March 2013) and write a raving review. The sad part is I could have and would have done that up until Monday night, August 25,2014.

I came home from work and wanted to watch a little tv before leaving to run some errands. I had just watched tv on Sunday and everything was perfect. When I pushed the ON button and sat down I noticed nothing happened. I thought it was me. I tried my UVERSE remote and it did not work, I tried the Sharp remote and it did not work. I unplugged it, waited and plugged it back in and nothing.

Then I noticed this little boomerang looking light right below the Sharp name tag on the center of the tv frame. I think it is the power light that comes on when the tv is on. This time it was FLASHING. Two short flashes followed by 5 rapid flashes.

I went to Google and searched this flashing light issue and found it to possible be a power board or worse case the led was out. I called Conns where I purchased it and was told "oh sorry your warranty ran out in march, you may want to call Sharp".

I called Sharp and that lady was RUDE. After 15 minutes on the phone with her telling me too bad my warranty was out and there was nothing she could do I asked if I could have the number to a Sharp repair center in the Houston area. She put me on hold for about 5 minutes, returned and said "sorry we do not have a repair center in that area" and hung up. So I decided to find someone that could look at it and tell me if it could be fixed.

Today a repairman came and looked at the tv. He checked the power board output to the led display panel. He tested this several times and said there was power coming out of the power board to the LED display panel but the display was not lighting up. He said my led panel was bad and he could not help.

This was a 1300.00 tv purchased 16 months ago. It was delivered and set up by Conns and has never been touched.

WOW. Right now all I can say is buyer beware. If you buy one of these you had better buy the warranty.

Like I said earlier I loved that tv until it laid down for no reason whatsoever. No storms, No moving from place to place, no nothing. It is very sad to me that a company like Sharp would care so little about taking care of a customer that soon out of warranty. if they have defective display panels then they should stand up and take care of them.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 8, 2013
First off I want to thank the person who gave instructions on how to remove the "soap opera effect". LCD TVs never looked right to me and I could never really put my finger on what was wrong but when I heard that term it explained it perfectly. That issue was the main reason I have not upgraded my DLP TV sooner. I figured it was just something I would have to get used to like projection TVs and bright rooms.

I have had the TV for a few days and I am extremely impressed. I upgraded from my 65" DLP which had gotten to the point where it couldn't be seen with much light in the room. I never realized how bad it was and how much of the picture I was missing until I saw this TV, the colors and picture are amazing. One thing that impressed me coming from a projection was it seems to have a true black which I thought only plasmas were capable of. I don't care much about smart apps but the Netflix one works great over wireless. For the money you can't beat this TV and I can' think of anything I could get with a more expensive TV that I would enjoy.

The only real issue I have with the TV is the remote, it works but its cheap. Its not back lit and isn't really a true multi-device remote. The TV relies too much on Aquos Link so if you don't have a Sharp soundbar forget about controlling volume on an external sound device with this remote. I have a Logitech Harmony remote but sometimes I just want to touch one button to do what I need to do. For those of you concerned with the sound of the TV, TVs with decent sound went away with tubes and rear projection which were basically gigantic heavy TVs with room for big speakers, get a sound bar or receiver with speakers. If you buy a big screen HDTV and don't have some kind of real surround sound you are missing out.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2013
I got the 60" Costco version of this TV a few months ago. As long as you put it into "Game" mode, you won't have the Soap Opera effect, which is obviously terrible. You can turn off a lot of options to try to get there, but Game mode is the only sure way to escape it. I've played a small set of video games and it looks great. Can't comment on other fast action since I don't do sports.

Built-in web browser, Netflix, etc. apps are slow and terrible. I have an AppleTV, with a massively better Netflix interface. Apple TV also let's me AirPlay my Mac screen so I don't have to use Sharp's awful web browser.

Remote is fine. Audio out is weird because when you switch it to "fixed" to play from a separate speaker system you still get the volume slider, which will even decrease the volume as you drop below "0" on the 0-100 range. So that's dumb, but benign.

I'm really a fan of the gimmicky feature of Wallpaper Mode on this thing. Only models 60" and higher have this. You load images you like onto a flash drive, leave it plugged into the back, and when you turn the TV "off", it instead goes into very low power (they won't say how much) mode and rotates among your chosen images every 3 minutes. After a set period (24 hours max), it goes fully off. The TV doesn't exactly look on since the images have low brightness, and it's really nice to see some art pics I grabbed from Wikipedia rotating on shuffle in lieu of a giant black rectangle. Nice feature that maybe uses the energy of a 20 watt bulb by my guess. When the TV is fully on, I think it uses ~ 120 watts, so the same energy cost of a very bright incandescent bulb. They have a YouTube clip detailing this feature.

I guess some TVs are better, but the marginal returns of extra expense seemed irrelevant to me. I looked at sets that were 50-100%+ more expensive, and couldn't see the difference. Nice price, very bright display if you want it to be. Unique Wallpaper mode. Very thin profile. 60" model is only about 67 pounds. Soap Opera effect escapable. Clean plain black appearance with one very subtle brand logo. Even the power-on light can be deactivated. I'm happy.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2014
This Sharp 60" was a great TV for the 3 months that I've had it. However, last night while I was playing video games, a narrow, bright green line appeared running vertically through the screen. It's there as soon as I turn on the TV, and shows on every input. I can't watch anything without noticing it. I called Sharp and after doing a couple of resets, I was told to email them pictures of the line, screen, and the back of the unit. Even if they make it right, I don't know that I'll ever buy another Sharp TV... This was my first, but if it has problems this soon, will it make it another year or two even after a fix or replacement?!? Meanwhile my Panasonic plasma looks as good as the day I bought it 4 years ago. I should have stuck with the brands I know and trust. Tread with caution.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...