5.0 out of 5 stars Flag Ship Quality at a Bargain Price!
Published on July 19, 2012 by Brian A. Mousseau

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor TV and Customer Service
Published 19 months ago by DragonPunk

5.0 out of 5 stars Flag Ship Quality at a Bargain Price!, July 19, 2012
This is supposed to be Sharps "lower end" TV in the their large TV line up, but it performs better then the its higher priced brothers. I have been through a few Tvs this model year. I have had the Sharp 847u, The Sharp ELITE, Panasonic VT50, Samsung pn64e8000, and Sony XBX929. I had all the heavy hitters from all the name brands and this TV can stand up to all of them no problem! I was very surprised at the black levels it can produce being an edge lit LED. I would say it is on par with the sony and samsung, but a click behind the ELITE and Panasonic. It is certainly a much better then its more expensive brother the 847 or the 745. Both of witch had bad clouding and bad black levels that left the picture flat and washed out. This TV has very good shadow detail giving you a very realistic picture in night scenes.

Colors are very saturated and true to life, giving the Panasonic a run for its money and outdoing the ELITE to my eyes. This model does not feature Sharps Quatron extra yellow pixel, and I think it benefits from not having it. There always seemed to be something off with color on the Sharp models that had the extra yellow pixel, something I don't see with this TV. There is also no lack of color adjustment in the setting menu. I have plugged in CNET settings with a few minor tweaks to back-lighting, contrast, brightness and sharpness that suit my room and eyes better Overall the color reproduction on this TV if superb, as good as the plasmas I returned.
Motion handling is very good to my eyes, better then the ELITE and hanging with the VT50. If you are one for de-judder processing or soap opera effect during movies this TV gives you full control of just how much smoothing you want with very tweakable controls. The TV can keep up with fast paced sports without pixelation or trailing images. Gaming is also a joy with no screen lag in game mode while playing fasted paced FPS games like MW3.

These are just some of the high points of the Sharp 640u. Some other things to consider are its matte screen which greatly reduces reflections from ambient and direct light, the brightness is great, which also helps keeps black levels stable in bright rooms. The images are very sharp and detailed as well. This tv is a diamond in the rough! I am very amazed at the quality and pop of the image. I can safely say that this TV is overall maybe one click behind the ELITE and the Panasonic VT50, but for the price and size it can not be beat. Save some serious money and get this TV while still going big with 70 inches, you wont regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but good enough for my needs., August 22, 2012
This review is from: Sharp Aquos LC60LE640U 60-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD TV (Electronics)
I agree with most of the comments made by other reviewers here. The apps, particularly Netflix, do not work great on this TV. But that is not a problem at all for me. I have my TV set up as a monitor. It simply has to display the picture coming out of my sound system. My cable box and bluray player feed into the sound system, and the sound system has an output for the TV's picture. I use my bluray player's Netflix features, and prefer it that way. And I don't care about using the internet on my TV, either.

This TV has a fairly nice picture. I went to numerous electronic stores when shopping, and this TV looks pretty much the same as nearly all of the other 60" LED sets, with one notable exception. There is a Samsung (the one with the very thin frame around the screen and 4-legged base) that was just WAY nicer than everything else. No matter which store I entered, that Samsung really stood out. But the price was also quite a bit more. I wasn't willing to spend an extra $500 for the Samsung.

This Sharp is priced well and I am mostly happy with the picture quality. My one criticism involves watching sports. When a ball (or any other object) is moving quickly across the screen, it looks like a weird blur on my TV. I believe another reviewer mentioned something about that, suggesting that you can correct this with the settings. I will play with it and update if I find anything.

If I were to do it all over again, I would still go with this TV.

____***** UPDATE 8/24/12 *****____
I found the "motion enhancement" option under "picture settings". I played with the three choices (high/low/off) and it looks noticeably better when set to "off". When watching football, with motion enhancement turned on, the ball becomes a strange blinky blur when it is thrown quickly. Basketballs don't usually move fast enough across the screen to cause the blur. I don't watch baseball, but I am sure it would be a problem to. I don't know what benefit motion enhancement offers, but I really dislike what it does to sports viewing. With this said, although turning this feature off is an improvement, I can't recommend this TV if sports are important to you. Even with the off setting, the fast motion picture quality is still not as good as I would like it to be. From what I hear, a 240hz (or higher) tv will have better fast motion picture quality.

_____***** Update on 10/2/12 *****_____
If you have this tv, make sure you play with the picture settings. Lately I have noticed that the picture quality with all of the pre-programmed options was a bit lacking. I played with the settings, and now it looks much nicer. I made several changes, but the biggest improvements came from lowering the backlight a little, increasing the reds a bit and raising the sharpness all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Like 3D in Your Face (even though it is not)..., April 27, 2012
Steve N "Straussjoe" (Third Rock from the Sun) - See all my reviews
Hi all! My wife and I purchased this from RC Willey in Utah in April 2012. The average price for this unit is right at $1500.00. We were in for a 32" or smaller (nothing special) to replace a TV that we lost in a flood last year. Well, after we saw this baby in a wall unit at RC Willey, we could not pass it up. We also purchased an oak console with four doors on the front and opaque glass to hide all of today's electronics (Xbox, PS3, Hybrid Digital Radio Receiver, Stereo Receiver, etc). Sorry, I digress. This television is IN YOUR FACE 3D quality, even though it is an LED 1080p, with a 120Hz refresh rate. (With today's fast special effects such as transformers, we wanted something a little faster than 60Hz so we could actually "see" the fast motion and not notice it as a blur. This is the ticket! You don't need 240Hz unless you got your eyes calibrated at the last robocon convention in Vegas). In addition, we do not have to stream videos from Amazon Instant Video though my Blu-Ray player as the internet is incorporated into the television. Quite incredible. We watch a lot of streaming movies from Amazon and Vudu at around 7Mbps @ HD and HDX. However, I must warn you...you will be turning your head from side to side with the fast action, even at a 10-foot distance from TV to sofa, as the screen is incredible large and crystal clear. I cannot wait until the 2012-2013 NFL season starts. One more thing...For all you NASCAR fans, the cars feel like they are going to come out of the screen. When you get the "dashboard" view from the HD internal cameras, you will feel as though you are driving the car yourself (well, at least riding in it, anyway). In summary, you will be very happy with this model. We almost purchased another Sony Bravia or Samsung but the price, clarity, energy efficiency, inputs (that are endless), and overall product is nothing less than exceptional. Oh yes...for those of you who hate the shiny screen (similar to the PCs today and the shiny border, that catches every reflection when you move on the sofa), forget it; this TV has neither. ENJOY!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your buck hands down..., May 10, 2012
Purchased my LC-60LE640U about a month ago and I am still very pleased with the product. I viewed this model at BestBuy, the floor model was being featured directly next to a Samsung 60' LED model and I clearly saw the immediate difference between the two. The Sharp
's images/picture quality and overall color accuracy IMO were far better than the Samsung being displayed next to it . I currently have a 52' Sharp Aquos in my man cave at home and love it. My wife and I wanted something a bit larger for our living room upstairs and this was absolutely perfect. Matte screen is definitely a plus as well, since our living room space has a good amount of light coming in but even so, there is very minimal glare if any at all. Overall, the clarity that this TV produces I feel is exceptional. The only problem that I did notice was with slight instances of motion blur during fast paced scenes and sometimes when objects criss-crossed each other during movies/shows. Again, this was NOT a deal breaker for me since it only happens every now and then and there are plenty of ways to reduce the blur with proper calibration. HD movies almost appear 3D like even though the TV is not. Images are extremely life-like and very detailed and crisp. I currently have FIOS as my cable provider and i must say most of the channels look excellent on this TV. NOTE>during sports events, primarily Football, Golf, Baseball, Soccor, and Hockey you may notice that the balls, pucks etc. may produce a "double image". I found that if you turn the motion enhancement from 120hz to off it will eliminate the the "ghosting" effect, especially when balls are flying or during slap shots in hockey or with any sport that has trajectory items being used. Basketball seems to be just fine. Can't think of anything else at this point, but i will say that anyone who decides to purchase this TV will undoubtedly be happy, not only in the beginning but in the long run as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bang for your Buck!!, October 22, 2012
Will make this short and sweet, because I did extensive research before considering a TV. You cannot find a better TV out there currently for the price in my honest opinion. Im a straight foward guy who simply wanted a bigger, nicer TV for football season, and didnt want to spend a fortune. For 2 grand, you will not find a better TV. The picture is very "Sharp", and the colors are amazing. There are several preset picture settings which you can cusomize to your liking. Just be sure if you get this monster, you have a big enough room. You should be sitting at least 10 feet away from this TV. Also, I would recommend hanging this TV, as it makes a huge difference. I bought the omnimount ($50) on amazon.com. It spans 3 studs and holds max 200lbs. The TV weighs roughly 105lbs. It aint going anywhere. On the other hand, if you are one of these TV nerds that will analyze every megahertz, contrast ratio, dynamic lighting, etc., then go ahead, spend 9 grand on the new Samsung 75" Smart TV, Better you waste your money than me!! lol At the end of the day, ITS A TV, not a down payment on a car. Take my advice and buy this TV if you are in the market for a 70" TV, you will not be disappointed. Happy Football Season! Erik

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, July 14, 2012
I was in the market for a 60 inch tv with picture quality being the most improtant factor. Smart tv apps would be a bonus but I was looking a tv not a computer. This tv fit the bill in every way and went above my hopes. There were tons of adjustments to make on the tv picture so for anyone saying the picture isnt good obviously didnt take the time to research and adjust the settings. My picture quality is amazing good and I would put it up against anything sony or sammy has to offer. TV had plenty of inputs for all of my equipment and works great. Sound isnt to great but thats to be expected onany slim tv. My home sound system took care of this issue. Not really messed with the apps because I have a computer and xbox 360 for that. I would recommend this tv to anyone looking for a great picture at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome TV!, September 4, 2012
Bought this to replace an out of date 50" Samsung Plasma 1080i. Have this connected with the following:

* Cable - Comcast/Xfinity HD
* AVR - Onkyo TX-SR608 THX receiver
* BLURAY - PS3
* Internet - Wireless Linksys Dual Band G

Right out of the box, on the wall this thing blew our mind! Picture is fast, sharp and looks like those hot shot display TV's that you see in the electronic stores, you know the ones where you walk by and say "wow, mine doesn't look like that good"! Connected wirelessly no problem and received a needed update.

I never owned a SHARP brand TV but after seeing this one perform, hands down, totally impressed.

SOUND - I read a lot of complaints on the sound, all I can say is if you have a TV like this, why the hell are you running the internal speakers!? This thing is amazing, upgrade the sound and you will change your whole outlook on movie watching. This TV wants to pull you into the movies, get a subwoofer some surround sound and let it! ;)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor TV and Customer Service, May 30, 2013
The TV broke down after a few months of operation. No sign, no warning, just stopped working. While watching TV, it just shut off and would not turn on. I did quite a bit of research on it, which pointed to a faulty motherboard, which falls under the warranty and I called support. They dispatched a tech and he couldn't fix it there, so he took it away. Then I get conflicting reports for two weeks, and finally they say it's screen is broken, which it had no breaks or situations to even be damaged... They voided my warranty, and then tried to smooth things over by offering me a refurbished version of the same TV, for the same price you can get it anywhere now. The "offer" was a joke, and their misguided attempt to compensate me was, frankly, insulting. Aquosadvantage is a poor company and deserves to fail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp 70" LED TV, improved after tuning settings., December 2, 2012
M. Moisson "No SUVs" (Los Altos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
We recently purchased a Sharp 70" LED TV from BuySquad (I don't recommend them, cheap but service is the worse I have seen so far). Anyhow when we got the TV after weeks of delays we fired it up to check out the picture. We were very dissapointed. We already have Sony and Samsung HDTVs and both have far superior picture quality. No matter ho much we worked the picture settings it still looks as if you watch through a plastic film. The colors are dominated by hues of blue and the contrast as well as brighness are below par. I was looking forward to this set, but it turns out that our 2 year old Samsung is superior in every way except for the audio which is really nice on the Sharp (deserving the 2 stars). Hence if looking for a high quality crisp picture and a large screen this is not a great set. I think one is better off purchasing a Samsung 60 or 65" version.
I am improving my feedback on this Sharp TV, after some more tuning and Sharp help the picure is crisp. It's amazing what tuning with on-line help can do for the picture quality. If you get one please count on he need for improving the setings to satisfy your environment. I am a happy customer now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good picture, bad software, July 2, 2012
I agree that the picture is among the best that you will get for a 60" TV in the $1500 range. There is no question that the image is incredibly clear. The 120Hz 1080p really does a good job displaying fast action scenes without blurriness.

That being said, Sharp has terrible Smart TV software. To begin with, you will only be able to use Netflix and YouTube. There is no browser and no app store. So there is no way to add Amazon Prime (which is obviously important to me), Hulu Plus, or other apps. Additionally, the Netflix button on the remote control only works half of the time. What I mean is that I press the Netflix button and about half of the time there is an error connecting. This problem does not occur on my laptop or my Roku box in the bedroom, so it's clearly a problem with the Sharp software. After hooking up an XBox to the Sharp, no apps worked again until I manually reset the network (which required a tech support call).

I could return the TV and get a Samsung, which I am told has better software. But I am more likely to find something like a Roku box for the Sharp TV.

Sharp Aquos LC60LE640U 60-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD TV