Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sharp EL-W535XBSL Engineering/Scientific Calculator
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 31, 2012
This is the only scientific calculator I've ever seen that looked even remotely nice. Very clean modern design. Functionally, it's perfect for college-level chemistry, which I use it for. It makes dealing with many many multiplications much less of a headache to keep track of. For example, having to multiply a typical chem unit change ((4234)(1423/100))/(142341/5234) etc. look very easy to follow on the writeview. My only gripe is that if you want to tweak any setting on the calculator, it's very difficult and unintuitive. Thankfully, I never had to tweak anything.
on July 30, 2012
I love this calculator! I also have two other scientific calculators from Casio and Texas Instruments, and this one from Sharp is definitely more user friendly. Casio would be my 2nd favorite. The only thing I don't like about Casio calculator in general is that the (-) key are located on the upper left-hand side of the calculator. I used this key frequently, so it's a disadvantage for me personally. Otherwise, Casio will be an awesome calculator.

I'm not that familiar with Taxes Instruments models, so I can only compare to the TI-34 Multiview that I just bought. It's the worst out of the 3 because many functions are hidden. You have you press the 2nd tier function to enter just another page of selections. Just to give an example. For e^, you have to press "2n"and log. It then gives you the selection of Log or ln. Once you select ln, it'll show you ln or e^. It creates so many steps to get to what you need. The keys are small and more difficult to press. You have to be very precise when using this calculator. I'd avoid using this one in an exam.

As far as the Sharp, the keys are big and easy to press. All the functions are right in front of you, so you don't need to go through the manual to find a certain function. All of the common functions such as - , ANS , ( , ) are all located at the bottom of the calculator which gives you a faster maneuver. All of these small things add up when you are in an exam and make it easier to obtain accurate answers. I give only 4 stars due to the material. My Casio and Texas Instruction are all made of hard plastic and are more solid and durable. This Sharp is made of flimsy plastic and can be easily scratched. For the cost of almost $20, the poor quality of this calculator really is not acceptable. However, it does not affect the functionality of the calculator.

So overall, Sharp is a good choice for people who use it with care. If you want to find something that's durable, Casio will last much longer.
on April 12, 2014
I owned a 1980s Sharp EL5100S which I really liked primarily for 1 feature which was that you could type in an algebraic expression up to 80 chars long, press = to get a result, then recall the expression to edit it and recalculate the new expression. The 5100S would show 24 chars at a time so it was easy to see if I made a typing mistake. Alas, the LCD on the 5100S died around 2001 and I could not find any replacement calculator that had this feature.
Hence I took a gamble and bought this calculator when I read the manual and it mentioned that in 1:Line Editor mode the expression would wrap around to the next line. Yes in 1:Line Editor mode, I can now see up to 43 chars of an algebraic expression at a time and have an expression over 100 chars long (not that I really need this). I can recall the expression, edit it and recalculate just like my old 5100S. The other good thing about 1:Line Editor mode is that the answer is always in Decimal, not Fractional, format.
I must explain that the 0:Writeview mode has no value to me - Why? Because I'm using this for work and I am not a student who needs to pass exams; also I am very used to reformatting algebraic expressions for inputting into the Line Editor mode format.
Finally, I bought the 535 in preference to the 516 because:
1. if I need to do programming-type calculations I will use MS Excel and not a calculator
2. the 516 has too many simple functions (e.g. x squared, square root) that a user has to use the shift key for instead of just 1 key press.
An unexpected bonus with the W535 calculator were the 4 functional keys D1-D4 that could be setup as shortcuts, e.g. I have D1 set to 1/x to avoid the 2 key presses of 2ndFn + x squared to get 1/x
I am giving this 4 stars out of 5 because of 2 things:
1. input inconsistency - the expression 2(1+3) gives result 8 but (1+3)2 gives an error
2. Those gold coloured secondary functions associated with the keys can be difficult to read in poor light.
Other than that, I'm very pleased with the calculator.
on September 14, 2011
I was using "Sharp EL-W535B WriteView Scientific Calculator". I loved that. But some how I misplaced it in my lab. So has to buy a new one as midterms were near. I am very much happy with the purchase. This really awesome calculator. This is best engineering calculator in fact. It has 4 line, that is best part of this product. Screen View quality from all angles is just adorable. Design is much-much better than older one. I was already using sharp Calculator, so nothing much changes I noticed than these few. I am a proud Sharp Customer. Go for it. You wont get upset.
on March 13, 2012
I needed a non-graphing calculator for my Calc II class (the professor does not allow the usage of graphing calculators on tests), and the little rinky dink ones I had lying around at home were not nearly beefy enough. This one is perfect!

The display is nice, lots of room on the screen. As for the functions, it does almost everything apart from graphing that my TI-84+ can do. I can find natural logs, perform fraction reduction with my answers, trig functions, switch from degrees to radians, store variables, etc etc. I have not even touched my TI since I got this calculator. It is also nicely contoured and light-weight for those that care about aesthetics.

Overall, for around $12 you cannot go wrong with this calculator.
on August 30, 2014
It is a very light calculator which to some might make it seem cheap but it's that much less weight in a student's backpack or engineer's briefcase. Love everything about this calculator. Coaching my eldest child through homework is easier when we can work with fractions right on the display. We bought one for our eldest child and then another for me. I don't dislike my TI scientific calculator but this is a nice tool as well. Read the instructions to speed your learning curve along. I couldn't find the decimal/fraction button at first despite it being right there in front of me (middle aged eyes). The booklet showed it's location.
on December 7, 2012
I wanted something I could use for my Calculus exams that didn't do what was banned for the exam but could do absolutely everything else. This fit the bill perfectly. Does all the complex log functions and its easy to type in different log bases and higher roots with the mathprint. Coming from a TI-84 graphing calc, the learning curve wasn't bad at all. Only complaint I would have though after little use the shiny finish on the buttons and the face gets extremely smudged. Looks pretty if you don't touch it, but only a cosmetic thing. I highly recommend.
on September 17, 2015
Nice calculator, but the instructions are very hard to figure out. I am 77 years old and self teaching myself Algebra (I did well with it in College) to keep my mind sharp. I thought that this would be a good aid for me in figuring out the problems, but I'll need a course in calculators to understand it. Great price.
on October 9, 2015
Could not understand why my math was constantly in question for statistical solutions. Finally, my professor did a little "study" only to discover a default in the calculator... He had me to run a simple calculation on my computer that the calculator repeatedly provided the wrong and different answers.
on April 30, 2014
I bought this calculator for my stats class, and it worked out perfectly. It is not the most advanced calculator, but it is able to do many of the functions that were required. The layout of the keys make it very easy to navigate. The size and weight made it ideal for me to carry in my back pocket on the way to class. The value I got out of this calculator made my money well spent.