5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and Sound
This unit is compact and has a great sound that is crisp and clear. I bought it mainly to use with my iPod. It also plays CDs; has a radio and a USB port. There's a huge, retro silver volume control in the middle. Every function can be controlled with the remote. After comparing this unit with the Sony at a comparable price, I decided to go with the Sharp because I...
Published on October 16, 2010 by three_rivers

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound and Features but CD Player Broke
Revising previous review. CD player broke after 18 months. Disappointing. Functionality of iPod dock still useful. Good sound when it works.
Published on April 16, 2011 by Frank Comments

5.0 out of 5 stars Rather nice system for the price and size, March 1, 2011
Todd (Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sharp Electronics XLDH259N 160W Micro System with Docking Slot for iPod (Black) (Electronics)
I am very pleased with this system. Sound quality is exceptional for a system this size. I bought this primarily for use with my iPod and it works great with that. Sound quality is rich and full, even at higher volumes. CD sound quality is exceptional. FM radio reception is very good, with AM band reception being "ok" (with stronger local stations only). The remote control is intuitive and only took me a few minutes to figure out its navigation. Strengths of this system are it's small foot print, solid construction, superb sound quality and iPod functionality. The price is decent as well for what you get out of the box.
Some very minor issues with this system that I have identified are;
1. Relatively short length of speaker wire (approx 4 ft).
2. Clock does not display automatically (nor does it display at all when system is powered off).
3. iPod seems to build up a bit of a static charge after just a few seconds of being docked.

Those minor issues aside, this system is a real pleasure to own. It fills our living room with full-bodied sound, does not take up much space and is very sleek looking. Definitely is a "best-buy" in my estimation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 26, 2011
I didnt buy this stereo/ipod dock at amazon, but it's a perfect bookshelf stereo, and i felt like i should express my opinion about it.it sounds amazing.Considering the price, It completely Exceeded my expectations.I made the decision between a Sony bookshelf around the same price and this one,and based on my experience with previous sharp products, and i dont regret my decision. The Speakers are wooden with bass ports in the back, and they really push out some wonderful sound.Everything feels and looks like quality craftsmanship.If i had to be picky about something and complain, i would say that the volume could have been a little louder,but by no means is this a weak stereo, it gets loud enough to fill my bedroom with great sound, but the volume only goes to 30, and the volume ramp seems a little off as it increases after about 25, it starts to sound the same as 30.It could just be my ears, but it just doesnt seem to change much, and 25 is really loud enough,and it makes for a great alarm clock in the morning. It's advertised 10% total harmonic distortion, but i've not heard that kind of distortion, except when trying to push it with Heavy bass. I listen to a variety of music from all different genres, and i can say that it truly shines when listening to classic rock,classical music, and live or accoustic music. it's an experience to be heard, and further proof that big things come in small packages!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising great sound, May 23, 2011
I purchased this unit on the strength of other reviewers and they were right; this is amazingly good sound for a unit in this price range,and I am a musician used to listening to music with AR speakers! It is not a boom box for anyone looking for a unit to vibrate the floor boards, but it is a great unit for listening to any other type of music. I like that you can chose from different modes on the equalizer like voice, pop, etc. and it puts out a lot of sound that is crisp and clear. I would recommend it to anyone lookibg for quality at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stereo for the price!!! Great for an average sized room!!, May 6, 2011
This is a small stereo system with a big sound! I love being able to use a remote to work it! The ipod dock works out well when my grandkids stay over!Would suggest anyone who needs a compact system with a beautiful sound that is very powerful (I like to crank my music) to purchase this unit. Props to Sharp for getting this one right!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, April 21, 2011
Atif Qureshi (Fayetteville, Arkansas) - See all my reviews
OMG! I am blown away by the quality of this stereo. Crisp, clear sound with lots of BASS with Xtra Bass option...I like that since I am a heavy bass listener. I paid about $123 with free shipping. Delivered nicely, undamaged 4 days earlier than specified time frame. Nicely packaged! Each speaker is 80 w each with a subwoofer and a speaker cone. FM and AM antenna wires are in the box. I basically purchased it due to poor FM reception with my current chepo stereo in my office and this thing is awesome with fine reception for the hilly area I live in. I knew that its not designed for iphone 4 but I still tried it (I dont have ipod & dont care about it either) and even though it displayed a quick message for not being able to support this device but when I cancelled that it started playing my iphone without any trouble while it was hocked on the top dock. Unfortunately Otterbox doesn't work again and you have to take it out of the box to snug it tight. I tried to connect my iphone 4 with usb cable but it didn't work. I think I should be able to connect the audio out from iphone 4 to the audio in into my sharp and it should work fine (Separate cable needed). Remote works fine (no AAA batteries included). No mute option which I will miss. Again, even if you dont have an ipod ..Get it.. this is awesome sounding superior device which will not last long. Most iphone 4 dock speakers are not that powerful with this xtra bass. I have phillips fidellio 8550 with blue tooth option (30 watts total output) at home for my iphone 4 (otterbox doesnt work either) but I like the power & bass of Sharp better (160 watts total output). I am buying another unit before they ran out of this product. Seller is great. Today is the first day this beast is played in my office and everybody is impressed with it's THUNDER!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, February 14, 2011
I bought this as a birthday persent for my husband.... and it is perfect. Great sound quality in a decent size stereo (although the neighbors dont like how loud it can get). Love all the features & how well the reception on the radio comes in. He loves how you can even scroll through the iPod playlists with the touch of the remote. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a value, compared to the $500 stereos, but still wants something with some life to it. =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and performance, August 15, 2011
We had puchased this unit a few months back and liked it so much we decided to buy another. Great sound, reasonable priced and pretty portable. Use it mostly for our Ipods, but the tuner and CD player are also a favorite for us. Value + perfomance + a winner!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased So Far, July 25, 2011
This unit is compact and has a great sound. I bought it mainly for the USB playback feature. It also plays CDs and has a radio which I will use infrequently but am glad it has them. Although every function can be controlled with the remote I wish it had this ability on the unit itself. Not a big deal but if you lose the remote you have a major problem. I didn't have mush to compare with as I was strictly seeking the ability to play a USB drive. There is ample volume and bass along with an equalizer allowing you to set different playing modes. Once I figured out the remotes functions it is very easy to use with different features. At this point of owning it a little over a week or so I am very pleased. This appears to be quality and should provide many years of listening enjoyment. I would highly recommend this product. It arrived a few days a head of projected delivery. I also bought this unit for $30 (probably closer to $40 considering free shipping and no taxes) cheaper than it was selling for locally at Best Buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, May 21, 2011
Just received this today, and wow am I blown away with the sound for such a small stereo.
The base is tight, the highs are clear and this sharp stereo just rocks for the size and price. Another asset,this is
relatively small and easy to move around if needed. Happy I made the purchase...Sharp killed it with this stereo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit, May 19, 2011
M. Fleming (Oregon City, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great little stereo. The sound quality is very good. The remote is fairly easy to understand and use. It has nice features like the USB drive port. I can load a lot of music on a flash drive and play it, no need to burn a mix CD, and I can change my music variety by having different genres on different flash drives (2GB flash drives are cheap these days).

There are two little annoyances that make this unit miss the perfection mark. The first is that standby mode only works with the (annoying) demo mode on (which doesn't display the clock) and the iPod charges only when the unit is on or in standby. It would be nice if the iPod dock charged the iPod even if the unit is off. The second is that when the unit is powered off (demo mode off) it doesn't display the clock, which would be a nice feature for a bookshelf system (or at least give me the option to display the clock when powered off).

Overall I would highly recommend this unit.

ARRAY(0xa9e14c9c)