5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the price.
Published 20 months ago by BSP II

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound Bite
After 30 days of perfect operation my first SB60 Sound Bar failed to turn on.
Called Sharp and tried to unplug and perform a hard reset of both the TV and sound bar. No help, the SB60 was dead.
Sharp's suggestion was to mail it to their national repair center, at my cost, and if they determine its defective, repair or replace it.

Ok so how did the new...
Published 17 months ago by Sharp Kat

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the price., March 3, 2013
This review is from: Sharp HT-SB60 High-Powered Soundbar System for 60-Inch & Larger TVs with Wireless Subwoofer (Electronics)
I recently bought a 70" Sharp LED tv, and decided to keep things simple, and went with a Sharp Blueray player and a Sharp Soundbar. It's been about 17 years since I seriously looked into audio/video equiptment. I'v been accumstomed to decent surround sound since 1995, having bought a Kenwood tuner to power my Infinty system--which still sounds very good! But times change....

Yes, I agree with other comments on the internet. A soundbar can't replace multiple speakers set around the room; however, it remains that these newer tv's need help with sound, which is no suprise, as the bulk of product development goes into picture quality. My Sharp tv came with "boxy" sounding speakers, as was expected. I had researched soundbars for several weeks, and admittedly, I was quickly hooked on the Sharp SB60U, recommended for 60" TV's and larger.

While I expected an improvement in sound quality, the level of improvement was still suprising. Here's what I found from the time I ordered the SB60U, to watching a movie at my home with the soundbar in place:

--I ordered the soundbar on Monday, and it was delivered 4 days later.
--Everything came as it was supposed to in the package.
--Relatively easy to connect--I chalk up any delays in figuring things out to my ADD! :)
--More than enough clear HD sound for the livingroom. In fact I found that I needed to turn it
down!
--The subwoofer pumps out plenty of base, with no distortion, and no problems with maintaining
contact with the main bar, even though I've placed it in three different spots in the room
(just to test it).
--The bar itself looks sharp (no pun intended) sitting in front of my tv.

Long story made short, don't be afraid to buy this soundbar. I'm glad I did, and would do it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best sound bars available if the price is right; I just bought a second one for a vacation home, December 22, 2013
NOTE: I see that this unit has been receiving some unfavorable reviews. My first unit has been performing just fine for more than 6 months but I would recommend that anyone purchasing expensive sound gear get a protection plan that includes immediate replacement rather than having to send equipment in for evaluation and possible repair, which can take weeks or months. In fact, I have just purchased a second SB60 for my vacation home.

Sound Quality: This unit is definitely one of the best available sound bars in this price range (see notes on cost below). The bass is strong, undistorted and tonal; the treble goes as high as most people’s ears can register; and the mid-range, including voices, is clear. There is good stereo separation because the two clusters of speakers are at opposite ends of a very long bar. Music and movies sound great--I don’t do gaming, so I can’t comment on that, though there is a “game” setting on the remote control. The small remote control is not backlit but it allows you to adjust bass and treble from the remote, which is very convenient. There are several sound stage settings (cinema, music, pass-through, etc.) so there is ample opportunity to customize your listening experience.

Before making this purchase I listened to most of the sound bars for sale these days (December 2013). When I took my wife, who plays piano and flute, to audition the top sound bars at a big box store, she immediately could tell that this unit had noticeably better sound than virtually all of the other sound bars on display. The only unit we thought had significantly better sound was a premium Bose system at more than four times the price, so we jumped at the chance to pick up this Sharp unit at a discounted price. The speaker sounded great out of the box, and even a bit better when the unit had broken in after a few weeks of playing.

Surround Sound: There are two 3D sound settings on the remote control and, as with virtually every other sound bar, there is definitely some expansion of the sound field with these 3D settings, but nothing to equal true 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. This is an obvious limitation of sound bars, but their growing popularity demonstrates that many consumers are more than willing to trade true surround sound for less clutter and very good sound with just a hint of surround sound. If you want true surround sound you will simply need to get a 5.1 or 7.1 system.

Sound Volume: I could not bear to push the volume level much above the half-way mark because it is simply too loud for me beyond that point. Perhaps the bass won’t quite shatter your windows or loosen your tooth fillings, but the cannons on Master and Commander could probably damage your hearing if the volume is turned up beyond the 50% mark, which I really can’t bear to do.

Packaging: The box is really long and may not fit easily in an ordinary car (it fit OK in my SUV with one of the back seats lowered). The box may take two people to carry not so much because of its weight but its bulk and length.

Setup: Attaching the sound bar to the TV using the enclosed cables and pairing the subwoofer was simple and quick.

Looks/Design: The speaker bar is enormous, 54 1/2” wide, so you’d better have a TV that is at least 54 1/2” wide (about 60-64” diagonal screen) to put this in front of or it will look pretty silly. However, this bar is definitely a strong contender if your TV is 54” wide or wider (not diagonal, measure actual width of TV set).

Ergonomics: There is a major but non-fatal design flaw. The two HDMI inputs and other inputs are all crammed into a small gap on the back of the bar in such a way that extreme dexterity is required to make the required connections. This is not a deal breaker, but something that Sharp’s engineers and designers should have been able to do a much better job on, since failure to plug the cable(s) in tightly can make it appear as if the sound bar is not working. (Even our Geek Squad installation crew missed this and spent 10 minutes trying to figure out why one of the inputs was not working before discovering the loose connection.)

Cost: The list price for this sound bar is $499, which is a premium for what I think is a very good but not-quite-premium unit. In recent months this unit has been shown on this site at prices ranging from $499 to $369 to $295 to $189 (!). Personal opinion: Based on listening to a wide range of sound bars, I believe this unit is an astonishing bargain at $189 and greatly overpriced at its list price of $499.

Design: This is a really wide bar (54”), but it is only 2 7/8” high and 2 11/16” deep, so it is not too obtrusive, especially when the TV is on. However, the bar is just high enough that it may block your remote control’s signal to the TV, an issue that can be resolved by raising the TV 1-3 inches with a book or board under the TV stand. The speakers are visible (not covered by a dark cloth), and rimmed with what looks like aluminum trim, so it took me a little time to get used to these shiny circular elements on the sound bar. This was an example of poor design that could have been improved by making the speakers covers and surrounds black and therefore less visible; however, for me it was not a deal breaker given the quality of the sound; and the aluminum circles are not very noticeable when the TV is turned on..

Connectivity: This sound bar has 2 HDMI ports, 1 optical/Toslink port and an analog connection. Make sure your TV and other AV equipment has compatible input/output ports.

Cons: The major fault: Shame on Sharp for not including Bluetooth on a 2013 sound bar, especially at a list price of $499. There is a work-around via Bluetooth adapters like those from Logitech (about $40 from Amazon) or Belkin (about $24 from Amazon), but this is an extra expense and a logistical hassle. However, the overall sound quality of this unit is noticeably better than that of most other units I have heard that have built-in Bluetooth, so I am happy to put up with the modest extra expense and awkwardness of adding a Bluetooth adapter. While it took literally seconds to plug my Logitech Bluetooth adapter into the sound bar, it took quite a few minutes to get the BT adapter to pair with my iPhone and iPad, so long that I thought the BT adapter was defective; it is connecting OK now. This connection problem was definitely caused by my BT adapter, not the Sharp unit itself, and the problem quickly resolved itself.

As can be seen from many reviews on Amazon and other sites, this unit clearly has quality control issues. I was aware of this when I purchased my units and made sure I can easily have them replaced--or return them--if they fail.

Bottom line: Great sound for movies and music, with wide stereo separation. A bargain at $295; a no-brainer at $189. Just be sure to get the extended warranty coverage in case a quality control issue arises. I gave it four stars instead of five because it lacks Bluetooth (which can be added with a $20-40 plug-in).

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound Bite, June 4, 2013
After 30 days of perfect operation my first SB60 Sound Bar failed to turn on.

Ok so how did the new replacement SB60 sound bar fare .... not good!
My Sharp LE6400U TV continuously lost contact with the SB60 sound bar though the HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel)
The only way to get it to work again was to do a factory reset of the TV.
Within 2 weeks I was lucky to get 1 hour of sound before it kicked back to the internal speakers.

Thinking perhaps it was a problem with my LE6400U TV, I returned the TV back to Costco after 86 days and purchased the 2013 model LC-70LE657U. The good news is the LE657U is superior in every way. 10 times the Apps ... with 10 times the speed, Web browser controllable with my bluetooth keyboard, iPhone app to replace the remote control, the list goes on and on. Love the HD Skype and Netflix SuperHD. Picture is clearly better than last years model, 3D is a bonus. (Comes with 2 pairs of bluetooth 3D glasses) Less edge bleed, deeper blacks, sharper picture. You be hard pressed to find a better price to value in a 2013 HDTV.

The bad news is the replacement SB60 sound bar still looses connection with the new TV on the ARC.

Called Sharp and once again got the runaround, did get one rep to admit they where having a firmware issue with the first run of SB60 sound bars. (I would have to return it to them to get the firmware updated.) Really, the thing doesn't even work with your own TV's! So yes this turkey is also going back too, such a shame as the SB60 looked so nice and sounded awesome.

Will I wait a few months to make sure I get an SB60 with updated firmware ... I don't know.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs frequent reset, March 31, 2013
The sound is ok, not great just ok. But the price is really good. My problem with it comes after it been used then turned off, somehow it does not play any audio from the HDMI, until I do a reset (switching it to standby, and pressing the standby and sound mode together. This glitch seems to be happening quite frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, October 23, 2013
Tabi (Visalia, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Our room is 30' x 20' and this sound bar fills the room with sound. We mounted it directly under our 70" TV. We love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Abruptly Failed - Sharp's Warranty Service is Poor - Big Waste of Money - Avoid this one., November 24, 2013
Midwesterner (Missouri, United States) - See all my reviews
Abruptly failed after 5 months of Operation. Called Sharp tech support, ran through a few trivial troubleshooting steps, and was advised to send to their repair facility at our expense. Mind you, this is a 5' long soundbar AND separate subwoofer unit (which is apparently worked but Sharp insists it has to be sent back too.) Unfortunately we don't have the original packaging, so in addition to the shipping expense, we'll have to pay (FedEx estimates about $35) for adequate packaging for this thing.

When it worked, the sound quality was mediocre -- often switched into a hollow "we're-at-the-far-end-of-the-school-auditorium-during-the-Christmas-pageant" kind of sound, and this was "integrated" with a fairly new Sharp LED television. As others have said, the integration with Sharp's own TV was clunky.

Overall, this was a *very* disappointing purchase and a huge waste of money (paid over $300 for this turkey - $319), not including the expenses incurred in sending it back UNDER WARRANTY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, October 25, 2013
Had an older Bose Lifestyle 18 system that I've been wanting to update in my living room. I had recently purchased a Samsung 51" Plasma and matching Samsung Soundbar for my master bedroom and was totally blown away by the sound from the bar! Decided to take the plunge and upgrade my living room TV to a Sharp 70" LCD and this Sharp Soundbar. Though it obviously doesn't quite pack the punch as the Bose system, it fits the needs for my usage perfectly, not to mention no more tangled wire mess! Two HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI passthrough to the TV makes this perfect for my cable box and smart blu-ray player! The lack of bluetooth connectivity for personal devices was not a problem for me as the smart blu-ray handles all the content I need and want, however, may be an issue for some. There are very nice preconfigured sound schemes for movies, sports, news, etc, however, I prefer the "bypass" feature to configure to my own wishes. The bass is low and tight, and the mids and highs are crystal clear! Overall this is a perfect match for larger screen TV's (60"+) as the length of the soundbar enables greater stereo separation. Very highly recommend!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy, June 25, 2013
While this sound bar can sound good, it is standard Sharp quality which means it is garbage unless you buy a version 3 of it. My soundbar (purchased 6/2013) had a high pitched whine from it when no sound was coming out of it and it would lose HDMI CEC sync with my Sharp LCD TV after a few days uses. Really, they do not test it with their own products? This is a par for the course to how Sharp operates. They are a average manufacturer, not premium, and you get what you pay for.

Which translates to returning it when you are not satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars very. good match!, July 15, 2013
S.C. (Short Hills, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
After much research and considering more expensive sound bars I decided on Sharp soundbar for my 90" Sharp TV..It has worked my purpose very well.The sound is distinct rich and natural..Each component is separately heard.Surround sound performs well when called for.And the price was right.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked flawless until it didn't, April 27, 2013
I paired this sound bar with my 70le847u and the connection was flawless... for about 3 months then it stopped working. I got the "protection circuit" error. As instructed I unplugged it and reconnected everything. It still would not power on. I left it unplugged all night and still the same thing. I then bypassed the surge protector I had it in, and then it finally powered back on, but then would not respond to the paired AQUOS TV remote or power on/off with the TV. I am currently working towards service with Sharp.

I dropped my rating from 5 stars to 3, because a device like this should not fail in less than 90 days. Unfortunately, I have found several others within these reviews and elsewhere with the same issues as mine.