4.0 out of 5 stars Vast improvement over flat screen speakers.
Published on January 23, 2010 by J. Layman

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent little sound bar
I ordered this particular sound bar because I tried it out in a store locally, and was impressed with the sound. Unfortunately, I was not as impressed when it was set up at home.

I have a 40" Samsung LCD TV. Setting up the sound bar was VERY easy...just a couple of wires to plug into the TV and the wall outlet.

It has pretty good sound for what it...
Published on August 6, 2009 by Joanne Jandreau

4.0 out of 5 stars Vast improvement over flat screen speakers., January 23, 2010
This review is from: Sharp HTSB200 2.1 Sound Bar Audio System (Electronics)
Bought the wife a new 40" Samsung LCD and while I was very pleased with the picture, I was severely disappointed in the sound quality. No matter how much I played with the adjustments, it just sounded very flat with absolutely zero bass. After reading up, it appeared that a sound bar was exactly what I was looking for. This was for the living room which is primarily where my wife watches TV. She doesn't care about having the sound of a big 7.1 system like I have in the den. Her primary requirements were something that didn't add clutter like speaker stands, wall mounts, etc. but still improved the sound quality a bit.

I bought two sound bars to compare and just planned on taking one back. The first was a Vizio VSB200 and the other was the Sharp HTSB200. Since they are probably two of the closest that people will be comparing when looking for a budget sound bar, they are the two I will compare. Of the two, I chose the Sharp for the following reasons:
1. It is much smaller in size but sounds as good. The Vizio was large enough to stick up above the bottom of the TV on it's stand.
2. The Sharp remote is an actual remote unlike the Vizio which comes with a very cheap looking remote with the bubble buttons on it - in my experience, remotes like the Vizio's don't last very long.
3. The Bass and Treble are adjustable on the Sharp, on the Vizio they are not.
4. You can adjust the "subwoofer" on the Sharp, I don't even know if the Vizio has anything resembling a subwoofer. I use subwoofer loosely because while the sound bar does have some bass, don't expect anything like a stand alone subwoofer.
5. The Sharp has an actual display on the front, the Vizio just has a series of lights behind the cloth cover.

A few things I liked abut the Vizio over the Sharp:
1. Has an optical input, the Sharp does not (the next model up in the Sharp line, the HTSB300 DOES have an optical input).
2. Is controllable by my Dish Network universal remote. The Sharp may be as well but I haven't found a code that will work yet.

Make no mistake, neither provides a true surround sound experience. At no time did I feel as if sounds were coming from anywhere other than in front of me. I think it's stupid for the companies to even promote them as a surround sound experience. What they both do and do well is expand the sound stage of crappy flat screen speakers but the Sharp does it in a smaller package and with more features and adjust-ability.

Edit:
May have spoke too soon with such a positive review for this unit. After having it hooked up all day, I am frequently experiencing an annoying, random half second drop out of the audio. I have contacted Sharp CS but haven't heard back yet. Saw on a few A/V forums where there are others with the same problem. I'll update here as the situation progresses.

Edit 2: Contacted Sharp by phone regarding the audio drop out. I was impressed with their customer service. Very short wait, rep acted genuinely interested in helping. The problem relates to a power saving feature that turns the speaker off automatically when a signal isn't detected. I had my TVs internal speakers turned off (I bought the sound bar due to my TVs crappy speakers in the first place, of course I'm going to turn them off). This apparently tricks the circuitry in the sound bar into periodically thinking there is no sound so it clicks on and off, thus the audio drop out. The rep had me turn my TVs speakers back on and put them at a low setting of 5. I can just barely hear them with the sound bar off and not at all when the sound bar is on. I was skeptical but it apparently worked because I watched a few hours of DVDs and the issue didn't reappear. Poor engineering on their part if you ask me but I can live with it. They should have given an option to turn the power saving feature on and off. Next issue is tracking down a code that allows the sound bar to be controlled by a universal remote.

Edit 3: Problem still occurs occasionally but as I turn the volume up on the TV itself, it happens less frequently. At this point though I can't turn the TV up any louder without hearing it in conjunction with the sound bar, which actually degrades the sound quality. Contacted seller and they agreed to send me a replacement unit to rule out the first one as a defective unit. I'm not willing to give up on this product yet but it still baffles me that it could be engineered so that you have to leave your TV volume up a bit to get past the power saving feature. Makes no sense.

4th and hopefully final edit: Got a replacement unit and knock on wood, this one seems to be working properly. I have my TV volume set at zero and have experienced no drop outs with the new unit. I guess it can be chalked up to a defective unit. At this point I am completely satisfied with the product and would recommend it. Still no luck with a remote code though.

If any other owners of the product are experiencing the same drop out, please post a reply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound!, May 22, 2009
This review is from: Sharp HTSB200 2.1 Sound Bar Audio System (Electronics)
I just received this sound bar today. Took it out of the box and hook-up was a breeze! It looks bigger in the picture but it's only 31 1/2 inches long, perfect for my TV and stand. It does come with wall mounting hardware also.

Once I turned it on, what a difference! The remote has different adjustments for sound depending on what you might be watching; movies, news, sports and just "normal". As you might have noticed, it doesn't have a "music" adjustment. I did put a CD station on my dish network and the sound was really nice, just not really loud like you might get from a regular receiver. If you want to turn your music really loud, this is not the unit for you. I tuned in on a movie, hockey game and the news, all sounded great with this bar! I cannot wait for football season!!! It's a decent size for my room of 13 X 15.

This will do awesome until I can afford a receiver unit with 5 speakers!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sound bar for this price., September 3, 2009
This review is from: Sharp HTSB200 2.1 Sound Bar Audio System (Electronics)
I looked at many sound bar systems in the sub $200 price range before I landed on this one. This works great. I use it for music or movies off my computer, but I also use it for my 3 video game systems and DVD's. This system simulates 5.1 pretty well. Of course it's not perfect, but what this system lacks in perfect surround sound, it gains in other areas. For one it is much cheaper than any good 5.1 system that I have seen. Second, it is much more portable and easier to set up. Because it is simply a bar that you put in front of you, all you need to do is add power and some inputs and your solid. This contrasts the tedious work of placing and hanging all those little speakers with those ugly wires all over the place. Point is that this works for me. If you're looking for a perfect 5.1, don't get this item. But if you're looking for a good system that will give you good, clean sound, good bass, has some swell settings and can roughly simulate surround sound, then this should be for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent little sound bar, August 6, 2009
This review is from: Sharp HTSB200 2.1 Sound Bar Audio System (Electronics)

It has pretty good sound for what it is. Too bad it doesn't have more power. When I turned it up to max volume (which isn't that loud), I could hear the subwoofers "thumping", almost like they were about to blow.

I like the idea of having something that small with minimal wires to deal with, but it just didn't cut it for me. We decided to return the item, and go with a Samsung surround system with 5 speakers, including a subwoofer, and an upconverting DVD player. It was less than $100 more, and WELL WORTH the difference in price. The sound is INCREDIBLE, and the upconverting DVD really brings our DVD's to life. My husband and I watched Pirates of the Caribbean with the Samsung system, and we were just blown away by the sound of the system, and the image quality was absolutely AMAZING. (FYI - the Samsung system is the HT-Z320)

The Sharp sound bar is perfect for maybe a small room, like a bedroom or a dorm, and it definitely helps your TV sound better. In fact, if you use it in conjuction with the TV's speaker, it helps with the lack of power in the sound bar. But it just didn't give us what we were looking for. We are MUCH happier with the Samsung HT-Z320.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound bar, December 8, 2009
This review is from: Sharp HTSB200 2.1 Sound Bar Audio System (Electronics)
I purchased this after I bought my Sharp 52 inch LC52D85U. The sound on the LC52D85U is ok but seems kind of empty on many channels. I wasn't looking for home theater, rather just better every day sound for TV, Movies, and gaming. The Sharp 200 fits that bill perfectly. The unit is very attractive, well built, and sounds very good for my needs. The difference between the TV sound and the SB200 is very noticeable. The sound is much fuller and I don't find myself cranking up the volume to hear it like I was with just the TV sound. The remote is simple but has everything you need, power for the sound bar, different sound settings such as sport, news, standard, and cinema. You can also adjust the volume, subwoofer level, bass/trebble, and mute the TV from the SB200 remote. One feature I like is ability to dim the sound bar display and it even lets you turn off the display. You can also control some TV functions, if you have a Sharp, from the sound bar remote. Wish these soundbars could have integrated volume control from the TV remote itself. With this you have the volume going for the TV and the volume going from the soundbar. Would be nice if when you plugged in the soundbar the TV volume turned off and you could control the soundbar volume from TV remote. Not a big deal but with family members you have to explain that you now have two volume controls.

Overall, for the price this is a nice soundbar to enhance your LCD sound. Don't expect home theater, just a very much improved listening experience with your LCD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great system for the price!, July 10, 2010
This review is from: Sharp HTSB200 2.1 Sound Bar Audio System (Electronics)
I bought the HTSB200 to go with my 40" Sharp Aquos LCD tv. Great tv but the speakers just don't have enough volume. It would really help if the web page had more information on the technical specs and images of the remote and the backside of the sound bar. Since I didn't know what the connections were and customers seemed to be ordering an HDMI cable with it, I also ordered a cable. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! The only connections on the back of the bar are 2 RCA (red / white) inputs, which will connect to the 2 audio outputs on the back of the Sharp tv, and a mini-jack input that can connect to a tv via the mini-headphone output on some tv's (the Sharp 40" tv has no headphone jack). The RCA cables are included with the system. If you plan to use the mini-jack, you will need to purchase a cable. There is no mini-jack output on the soundbar. I guess the assumption is if you want a fuller sound you're not interested in using headphones.

The hookup was indeed simple and I did not experience some of the problems others have had. I did have a problem getting the remote and the function buttons on the bar to respond when I powered the system up, but unplugging it and plugging it back in cleared that up.

The remote is small and uses a button cell battery (provided). It's pretty basic, with buttons for the soundbar themes (Standard, Cinema/Game, News, Sports), subwoofer level +/-, volume +/-, base/treble, display dimmer, mute, and line 1/2 to select input connection in use. It also has minimal tv controls for compatible tv's (works with mine) including channel +/-, volume +/-, input, and tv on/standby.

You'll get a small, thick manual printed in about 20 languages. You only have about 16 pages you need to be concerned with. I suggest you read them all. It's an easy installation but the manual may save you some time, especially if you have any problems. I keep the tv volume set to about 35 and I don't have any issues with the soundbar turning itself off, or any conflicts between the bar and the tv synchronization. As stated by others, you're not going to get Dolby THX out of this little baby, but if you want better volume and more control over the bass/treble settings this systems does the job nicely. I only gave it four stars due to the lack of additional connections. I'm very happy with it ..... I don't have to try to lip-read my tv anymore!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just connected, so far, awesome!, December 19, 2011
Like most other folks with their first HD TV, we were disappointed with the sound quality of the tinny speakers (it's an AOC if that matters...). After considering the options and limited space we have (corner hutch) I settled on this model first because it fits exactly in the front of the hutch lengthwise with about 3/4" left on either end, the cabinet posts keep it from falling forward, a perfect fit. Secondly, I've had real good luck with Sharp products in the past, and the reviews for this model's predecessor were pretty good. Our TV doesn't have audio RCA outputs, so I bought a 2' mini cable for the connection. Plug and play, I had it going in 20 minutes, most of the time spent routing wires. The sound quality is a huge quantum leap over what we'd gotten used to; I've never heard a sound bar before purchasing this so I have nothing to compare it to. I logged onto Pandora and with tweaking the subwoofer controls up some, AC/DC sounded downright respectable, albeit not what you'd expect from a good stereo system. Briefly played a battle scene from Lord of the Rings and was impressed, and I have yet to try the different modes. The only possible problem is the unit partially blocks the remote signal for the TV unless you hold it up aways, so channel surfing from a comfy lap position isn't possible, but that's my TV's issue, not the sound bar's. Once the sound volume is set on the unit's remote the TV remote takes over just fine. It's one more component to turn on/off either by the remote or on the unit itself but it's worth the extra effort. If it stays problem-free I think it's a great purchase at a good price. It was tightly and intelligently packaged, sort of like opening a new Apple computer box, fun.

One day later: While the sound bar is on it emits a noticeable buzzing hum when muted or when the TV's off. It's not noticeable when the sound's active. And after the TV's turned off for 15 or 20 minutes it automatically goes into standby mode, a tiny red dot on the display glows, and the unit's entirely silent. There are four sound modes available on the remote: standard, cinema, sports and news, each with useable characteristics, I was impressed with the cinema mode, and both bass and treble response can be independently adjusted. In another website review a customer complained there was no optical cable input, that the RCA and/or headphone connections were obsolete, and I was concerned that might affect the sound quality but I can't imagine it being any better.

Update: Maybe too good to be true....after a few days the sound cuts out completely with no apparent reason, it's happened several times. The blue indicator goes dark, red stand-by light comes on, and only by pressing the power on button on the remote does the sound return. Can't figure anything we're doing to it, we're just watching the screen, not fiddling with the remotes. Will get with Sharp after the holiday weekend and hope it's an easy fix or maybe get a replacement. It's possible it has something to do with connecting up with the headphone input, it doesn't feel like a beefy way to power this thing. Sharp has a similar, more expensive model with an optical input I might consider. Down to 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to TV speakers....NOT A HOME THEATER SYSTEM, January 22, 2010
This review is from: Sharp HTSB200 2.1 Sound Bar Audio System (Electronics)
i ordered this from dell recently for $105 w/ free shipping...mainly because i have a shopping problem and like to buy things when they are discounted....anyway i just hooked3 it up 5 minutes ago and it is wonderful....VERY simple hook up...just the RCA red/white cables from the soundbar to the tv and an ac adapter...i was worried that i'd have to get another receiver for it but you do not need one...the sound quality is great....keep in mind its really just an addition (or replacement) for "stock" tvs (tv's running on just the built in speakers)
if you are looking for home theater this isn't for you, this is perfect for a bedroom...dorm room, studio apartment, but not a media room...it does get loud but at very high volumes the quality goes down...right now im using it with a 3 year old 50' samsung 720p plasma set...the built in speakers aren't bad...but this soundbar is very handy.. it completely fills my bedroom...i think this would be PERFECT for a dormroom...maybe even overkill for a dorm...im very pleased with this purchase

I HIGHLY RECCOMMEND

4.0 out of 5 stars Got To Have It, January 30, 2010
This review is from: Sharp HTSB200 2.1 Sound Bar Audio System (Electronics)
My mom and dad had bought themselves a new LCD TV and were having problems hearing the sound. They are not very tech savy and had no need for souround sound system. After researching intensely, I decided to give this a shot. I must say that I wish I had bought two of these one for them and one for myself. Installation took all of 5 minutes and now my mom has to keep yelling at my dad to turn the tv down. They have a fairly large living room and this unit provides very nice quality sound. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a quick simple hookup to increase the sound quality of their tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp HTSB200 2.1 Sound Bar Audio System, October 12, 2009
This review is from: Sharp HTSB200 2.1 Sound Bar Audio System (Electronics)
If you are looking to enchanse the sound on your flat screen tv, then this is the perfect piece to buy. The cost is so much less the theather sound systems. I would highly recommend this sound bar to anyone looking for better sound system for their televisions