Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on July 4, 2014
*Update 2 with minor details I've noticed after using for a while

*Update one at bottom of review with calibration preferences

This TV is fantastic. I was skeptical after reading some other reviews about the calibration, but I dove in anyways. I am incredibly picky with products I buy and obsess over every little fault or drawback.

Pros:

Easy set up, no manual needed (it doesn't come with one either). Just screw in the antennae, plug it in, put the batteries in the remote and you're good.

The picture is great. It isn't a "smart" tv put it is still pretty smart. When you switch to playing games it automatically adjusts the picture to game mode. I owned a Samsung before that didn't do this.

No detectable input lag. I play Titanfall ,a super fast moving game, and this TV is impressive. I can't fault the TV for my terrible K/D spread, so it must be my internet... Or modders... But definitely not my skills...

I love that it isn't a smart TV. This may be a drawback for some because smart TV's are convenient if you don't have a streaming device. I thought about getting a Vizio smart TV but it would be a feature I wouldn't be using, and I didn't want to pay extra for that.

No ghosting, the whole "120 hz, 240 hz" is a marketing scheme in my opinion. Or maybe I just don't have a "refined eye" for television. I've looked for it but everything is so fluid and crisp. I had a TCL that ghosted like crazy so it is one of the first things I check now!

Good remote layout. They know what I like. Both the power button and the input button are easy to find in the dark.

Aesthetically pleasing to the eye! The bezel is slim, the stand looks nice, and there are no lights that stay on after you shut it off.

Cons:

I don't want to be "that guy" who says there are no cons! But I really had to be nit-picky to come up with one.

There is no internet connection so you can't register the TV on the initial set up of the TV. You either have to mail in a card they give you or go online to do it. Not a big deal, but I tend to forget if it's not part of the initial set up.

Conclusion:

If you're on the fence about this TV all you have to ask yourself is "do I need a smart TV?" If not, this is the set for you. It plays games without a problem and the picture is incredible.

Update #1

It has been a few months since I've had this TV. I've used it quite a bit.

Recently I've been playing Destiny on it and it looks fantastic. Everything still works great but there is one thing that stands out that I didn't realize when I wrote my original review.

I have this TV in my bedroom and I've started to notice a strange phenomena. When The TV has been on for a while and it is shut off it sounds like the plastic starts to adjust (probably from the heat) and it is quite audible in a quiet room, like a popping sound. It's not super loud but it is a very strange thing. I have a vent in my room that kicks on and is directed towards the TV, it will make those same sounds while the temperature changes. Doesn't negatively affect anything but I've never noticed it with other TV's.

It doesn't bother me enough to detract a star. If you have this TV anywhere but a quiet bedroom I doubt you would even notice it.

For adjustments I played around a little. My room is very dark so I can't imagine this calibration being a "one size fits all". I adjust the mode depending on how bright it is in my room. Here is what I like to use for the most part though:

***UPDATE 2**

After using this for a while I've noticed some things other people may be concerned about. There are two HDMI slots on the back that are close together. I noticed that one of my HDMI plugs was too bulky to fit when the other one was plugged in. Luckily I had a thinner HDMI cord that remedied this. There is also a side HDMI slot, but it's hard to hide the cord because it sticks out the side of the TV and is hard to ignore.

The other thing I noticed is that it is a pain to plug in the coaxial (TV cable), as it is close to the set and doesn't leave a lot of room to screw it in. These are minor things I've noticed and once it's plugged it it's plugged in. I don't mess around with the cables very often.

I turned off all of the advanced picture modes (especially when I'm playing a game). Another reviewer, Nathan, has played around with settings that I like as well. Here's the link to his review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2XFCCO5MYX7X5/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00IN2WDHU&nodeID=172282&store=electronics

Contrast: 60
Brightness: 55
Color: 60
Tint: 0
Backlight: 40
Sharpness: 15
Color Temperature:Natural
1616 comments177 of 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2014
I recently received this television and WOW! My previous television was a 32-inch 720p Sharp LCD TV from about 2007... I never realized what I was missing until THIS. Before you write me off as an over-enthusiastic customer, let me first explain that I'm closer to the casual television user than I am to someone that's like "OMG YES THIS SONY IS PERFECT, LOOK AT THE REFRESH RATE. I DON'T SPEND LOWER THAN $2,000 ON A TELEVISION." I use my television for my Apple TV and for gaming (PS4) and blu-rays. I'm not a programmer or a professional television reviewer.

I was debating between two other televisions in the similar price and size range before I found this one. I was looking at the 39 inch LG LED TV (39LN5300) for $299 and the Samsung 39 inch (UN39FH5000) for close to $400. I wasn't a fan of the price range of the Samsung although it got good reviews, and I was fine with the LG BUT it doesn't have an analog audio output, only digital (which is ridiculous), so I wouldn't have been able to use my current speakers with it. Then I thought about it and said "hey, why not go with my current TV brand?" so I looked up the Sharp, researched it a bit, saw good reviews/pricing ($320) and decided to take the plunge. I am very glad that I did.

Once I hooked up the TV I turned on my PS4, opened up Watch Dogs and almost passed out because of the quality and colors. The difference was incredible. (GRANTED, I will say that I want to calibrate some of the settings a little further. The contrast and color should definitely be tweaked a little... I'm thinking about purchasing one of those calibration blu-ray discs, such as "Disney WOW: World of Wonder".) Anyway, I then put in my Avengers Blu-Ray and watched some of it and was blown away yet again. The quality is great, especially for the price range. Don't worry about ghosting and the refresh rate and all that. Motion is smooth. Not to mention, the build quality is pretty impressive as well and the TV is pretty thin.

OVERALL, if you are a casual user looking to use this TV for HD movies and games you will be very satisfied...

I hope this review helps somebody! I know a few reviews here helped me make a good choice.
0Comment113 of 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2014
So far so good! I've been tremendously impressed after I played with the picture. I literally just set up my TV and spent about an hour playing with the picture settings. As I'm a photographer and work from calibrated monitors, so I feel my eye is well trained. Funny enough ALL the "Advanced Settings" processing degraded the image quality. Give these a try:

AV Mode: [User]
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 17
Color Temperature: Natural
Advanced Picture: All [Off]

I have no complaints, will update on my thoughts soon.
1212 comments104 of 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2014
I bought this TV specifically for use with my PC and gaming consoles. It will need a bit of calibration right out of the box, but just put it in dynamic mode and it'll look great for gaming. Picture is nice and vibrant, and I didn't notice any ghosting or problems of the sort with Mario Kart 8.

Aesthetically, this is my favorite TV so far. The borders are a lot thinner than other TVs I've seen in this class, and it's very slim in the back. I especially love the stand. It looks nice, feels quite heavy, and is just one whole big piece. You simply slide the metal rods into the TV and you're set. I didn't even feel the need to put in the screws because the connection was already so secure.

If anyone wants to buy a TV on a budget, I would definitely recommend this product. There are other great brands in this class like Samsung, but Sharp manages to offer a cheaper price while not being too far behind the competition. It's a great looking TV when it's on and off, and definitely deserves a try.

If there was one thing for me to complain about, it would be the remote. As nice as the TV looks, the remote feels light, hollow, and a bit cheap. Not a big deal because it works fine and looks ok, but I prefer to have a little weight and heft to my remotes.
1313 comments51 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2014
My 32" Samsung died after 5 1/2 years, probably bad capacitors. Still debating weather to fix it or not.
Tempted to buy another Samsung or LG, but I then realized they are over 35" in length and wouldn't fit my entertainment center. I was either gonna pay the same for a 32" or go with the cheapest Insignia or another brand. So happy I went with Sharp.
1st of all I went from a 32" 720p to this 39" 1080, what a difference. Bigger and sharper with detail.

Pros:
There is more screen and less frame on these new tvs!
$300 vs $450-$550, this is a bargain of a steal.
Didn't need to use the digital manual, if you've owned an HD tv before this is easy to set up.
Thanks to Nathaniel Thomas II and his review, the picture looks great after the settings you recommended.
I love the stand, way sturdier than my last Samsung tv.

Neutral:
I filled up all the inputs and outputs-no future expansion here unless I get a switch.
Hey, I knew this going into it.
Only 2 Hdmi inputs for my Blu-ray and gaming rig
Only 1 Component and 1 Composite in-not great but just perfect for me.
only one Audio out

Cons(not really a big deal):
Thanks to another user found the setting to turn off the bright annoying led power indicator.
Does not have an alarm clock.
The tedious part was trying to get my big hands to screw in the coaxial cable, you have to go under and up. My last tv was straight out and that was a quick connect.

Someone said this excels at games-Can't wait!
Does show room's turn up the settings on the tv's they want to sell?
This thing looked way duller on the show room floor than at home, would have never bought if not for the reviews.
The Samsung and Insignia tv's looked the BEST on the floor-don't be fooled by the trickery of the trade.
One reviewer said lasted over 5 years and still going strong, I can only hope :)
I don't have a lot to compare to but, my OTA channels and Blu-Rays look absolutely stunning.
Will update if things go south
33 comments20 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2014
I bought this TV as a second TV in the bedroom. Someone in a review suggested these Sharp models are not 1080, I can vouch they are in fact 1080 HDTVs. The picture quality as far as sharpness is right on, clear sharp pictures. In the area of color reproduction is where I have some disappointment. The TV has a slight overall bluish tint to it. That makes the colors appear washed out at times and not true. I have calibrated/adjusted the settings, all of them. Usually a bluish tint suggests a white balance setting issue, too bright a cell lite, etc. I have tried various settings to correct the problem, it improves the color, but does not totally remove the bluish tint/haze. I have asked for owners to share their calibration settings, but have yet to receive a reply. If you have any suggestions please respond, it will be greatly appreciated. So bottom-line this set is a 3 star "its okay" rating, but I gave this set 4 stars based on the value you get for $499.00; I recommend this set if you are looking in that price range and don't want a lot of bells and whistles.
1010 comments28 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2014
I have a 48" LG 3D TV for my front room and was very satisfied with it (I barely use the 3D or the apps, so that was kinda overkill for me). I wanted to get another LG, but it would have taken a month to get another 32" LG TV So I decided to give the Sharp 32" TV a try. I was not disappointed...This is a very good flat screen TV for the price.

The quality of the screen is very crisp and clear; tinkering with the settings will make the picture as clear as you want it...good blacks and crisp whites. The color temperature is cool initially...there are options to make the color temperature warm. There is also some advanced settings that will allow you to get the picture quality you want.

The sound is lackluster, as I expected this with almost every flat screen TV on the market. I would suggest getting an external sound bar or sound system to get the best sound quality possible. There are options like an equalizer to enhance the speaker quality--I didn't have to tinker with those settings because I have a VIZIO 29" sound bar.

Setup is quick and easy. Whether setting up other electronics through HDMI or RCA jacks, the setup guide allows for easy setup of all your devices. I have my Xbox 360 and my cable box plugged into my HDMI ports and my DVD player as well. Like another reviewer said, if you want a good HDTV price-wise and are not a AV enthusiast, this is the TV for you. It has exceeded my expectations in terms of quality and price. Will definitely buy another one when the time comes.
22 comments14 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2014
I bought it because I wanted a 1080p display for my new PS4. This TV makes all my games look beautiful.

Pros:

Sleek design, beautiful display, light weight, quality sound (I've seen some people complain about this but I think it's good). Multiple HDMI ports is helpful for someone like me with who has a couple gaming systems.

Cons:

The plug for the coaxial cable (to connect to Cable TV) is in a poor location. It should be on the side of the TV like the other HDMI port is. With it being on the bottom, the coaxial cable given to me by the cable company is too wide and won't screw on, so I'm going to have to find a smaller one if I want to connect it to my cable box. You can tell that they tried to allot more space but it may not be enough, depending on the size of your coaxial cable head.

Glare and reflection are minimal for me, but if you don't have curtains, it could be an issue.

Overall, this is a fantastic television and I would recommend it to anyone who'd like a larger screen without breaking the bank. I don't think you'll find a lower priced tv with all the same great specs and as good a quality as this one. The lower price just makes it a steal in my opinion.
22 comments10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2014
Basic no frills TV. You plug something in, turn it on, and it shows up on your screen.

It fulfills all the needs I had of it as a bedroom television. Cheap, decent picture, HDMI input, and a USB port for power.

I see many people complaining that operating this TV is complicated and I'm not sure I follow. The TV has one button whose sole purpose is turning the TV off and on. The remote works well, and is clearly well labeled, and the manual is in the box if you need any help.

The color temp is cooler than I'd like, but if you put the color temp to warm it balances out fine.

It is 1080P, it's nice a nice and clear picture. The backlight is noticeable on the left side on black backgrounds if you're viewing from below the TV. If you look straight at it or if you're looking down on it, you can't see it.

In short, this is a good simple TV. It's not going to win any contests on accurate color or having a million apps you don't need. But you should have already known that if you're in the market for budget television.
0Comment20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2014
I love this TV. The assembly and setup are super easy. The image quality is superb. The image quality and the price are why I purchased this TV. I could not be happier.

The TV is super light, so setting it up alone is real easy.

It's Energy Star rating is only $15/year, which is super cheap for a TV this size

The only issues I have are with the sound. I wish that the speakers were better. I planned on getting surround sound speakers at the time of purchase, so this is no big deal for me.

No HDMI cable ships with the TV, so make certain that you have one.