Published on December 15, 2008 by Gadgester

3.0 out of 5 stars Click Click Click
I ordered this T.V. from Dell when they were holding a deal. HD content is great, but anything not using an HDMI cable is poor at best.

My biggest issue is the "cracking noise". In the operation manual under troubleshooting it says the following:
Problem: The TV sometimes makes a cracking sound.
Possible Solution: This is not a malfunction. This...
Published on December 23, 2008 by bananaslug

5.0 out of 5 stars Not an Aquos model, but solid 1080p performance and great value, December 15, 2008
This review is from: Sharp LC-42SB45UT 42" LCD TV - 42" - Active Matrix TFT - ATSC - NTSC - 176° / 176° - 16:9 - 1920 x 1080 - Surround - HDTV - 1080p (Electronics)
Before I start, let me point out that this Sharp 1080p HDTV, LC-42SB45U, is *not* a model from their state-of-the-art Aquos line, which costs much more. I bought mine from Dell at a great price, and then realized this was not an Aquos. This is from what Sharp marketing geniuses call their "traditional LCD" line. (The Japanese are really great at marketing, aren't they?) This TV is made in China, underlining its value branding.

I struggled between giving this a 4-star vs. a 5-star rating. I'll explain. Picture quality-wise, it's excellent at 1080p -- I use it with my 60GB PS3 (which upconverts DVDs) -- with great contrast, smooth graphics and vibrant color (Sharp is best at color reproduction on LCD panels). The response time is 6 ms, and the viewing angle is an astonishing 176 degrees, both horizontally and vertidcally. (A flat surface has 180 degrees.) The maximum brightness is sufficient to allow you to use this set outdoors, on a patio, for example. (My old LCD TVs could not do this.)

I'm a movie buff so I watch a lot of Blu-rays and DVDs and have been very happy. (Tip: when using PS3's upscaling, set it to Normal, not Double Scale.) The built-in speakers (non-detachable) are passable for a small living room; you might want to use a home theater for hi-fi sound anyway.

When playing non-HDMI input materials -- e.g., from a traditional non-upconverting DVD player, an old VCR or non-HD cable content -- the picture quality is only average, hence my originally hesitation at giving this set a full 5-star endorsement. My guess is for this "traditional" (i.e., value) line, Sharp does not have a good non-HD upscaling engine that can improve the quality of non-HD images, or maybe it doesn't have one such engine at all. You'll notice aliasing artifacts that are absent from upconverted and native 1080 materials. (The Aquos models, on the other hand, excel at non-HD images as well.)

In the end, given the price I paid and given the solid build of the set, I feel I got a really good value, and when used with a PS3, this inexpensive 42" (actually 42 1/64" diagonally) 1080p LCD HDTV is terrific. Since I use it pretty much exclusively with my PS3, I'm very happy. Of course, you should be aware of its middling performance with non-HD content.

3.0 out of 5 stars Click Click Click, December 23, 2008

Problem: The TV sometimes makes a cracking sound.
Possible Solution: This is not a malfunction. This happens when the cabinet slightly expands and contracts according to change in temperature. This does not affect the TV's performance.

Funny thing about the clicking is that is far more then occasional. It also is only present when the sound is on. Your TV is mute? You will never hear it. I tried to explain to Sharp about this issue to see if this clicking sound was from the speakers or the case and they told me it was clearly the case. I told them I did a test where had the TV on mute for two hours and didn't hear a single click. Then, I unmuted the TV for a ten minute period and heard 4 clicks. I asked why a case would click so much only from the speakers. I even held my head near them and you can clearly hear this. I am currently debating returning it and having it replaced. If you purchase this TV you better have your own speakers to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tv for a Solid Price, December 27, 2008
I purchased this tv about a month and a half ago. Dell had this Tv for $799 free shipping. I was able to get my local P.C. Richard to price match it so I didn't have to wait to get it. I really enjoy this set. 3 HDMI ports, and a great picture. My ONLY problem with this tv, is that when switching Inputs the time it takes to show the picture, is a little slow. I can take anywhere up to about 6-7 seconds after selecting before the picture is displayed. I do not know if I have a fault set or so, but even with that I really cant complain too much. I too thought it was going to be an aquos, but did not see it printed on the side of the box, or on the tv. However, if your looking a really nice tv, for a pretty sweet price, this tv should be in the running for your decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture, great value, December 22, 2008
Caffeine (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
I agree with the previous person that this TV has great performance. I got mine from the Dell promotion as well and I've been very impressed by the picture quality.
The TV is not as thin as some more expensive products. Some might also find the sound not strong enough. But the picture quality is top notch and the colors are very vibrant.
I only watch TV for CNBC and football games, so I found this model more than enough to meet my needs. I use the volume at 20% to 30% and I think that the audio output is more than sufficient for me.
I'd recommend this product to my friends and family. It offers great quality and value.

4.0 out of 5 stars As I type this, Dell has it for 499 shipped., February 2, 2010
OWEN (OVERLAND PARK, KS) - See all my reviews
Nice set, decent picture for a lower tier model. Go to Dell and spend 499 shipped and you'll be happier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the Price Range!, February 21, 2009
I've had this TV around 2 months now and have been very satisfied. I have the following devices hooked up to the TV:

Motorola HD-PVR for cable
Magnavox Blu-ray Player
Wii game system

I may eventually run a cable to my PC as well for steaming video. The video quality is really good, especially at the 1080i/p range. SD looks pretty good and standard TV signals aren't bad but noticeably inferior to HD or SD. This is just something you have to tolerate in this price range as the TVs with really good native HD upconversion are still pretty expensive.

The only negatives that I've really found are:

1. The built-in speakers are pretty cheap sounding but would probably be adequate for a small room. This is a non-issue for me since everything goes through my surround receiver anyway. My TV's volume is always set at "0" even before this TV.

2. There is noticeable light in the corners which is obvious when you have the lights turned down and the corners are showing black - such as watching a movie with a high aspect ratio. Not a deal-breaker by any means but just a minor irritation for me.

3. Not really a fault of the TV (more of a compatibility issue with a third party remote), but when using a Harmony remote, only a few of the direct input buttons work. The TV's remote uses multiple "input" button presses to change the input. The Harmony database for this TV came up with direct input buttons so it doesn't have to scroll but only three of them work. These are (1) set of standard RCA inputs and (2) HDMI inputs. This worked out fine for me because my PVR and Blu-ray are hooked up through HDMI and my Wii is using the RCA inputs (I had to scrap my component Wii cable in the name of simplicity). Of course I could upgrade my surround receiver but it's not worth all that ;-)

The first two issues are why I give the set only four stars instead of five. Like I said, the third issue is more of an issue with the remote and the fact that the Harmony still gives more functionality than the original remote kind of nullifies this complaint.

Overall, for the money, this is a great TV and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!, February 15, 2010
Pros: I bought this as an upgrade from an Insignia 32" 720p LCD. The picture quality and contrast ratio are fantastic! The user interface is very easy to navigate and the remote control only has the buttons you need. Not 500 tiny buttons that do things which nobody ever uses! There are plenty of inputs including 3 HDMI ports. I only use 1 since I'm running everything through a receiver.

Cons: The speakers aren't very good quality. Vocals are very muffled and anything in the lower frequency range doesn't even attempt to come through. Possibly due to a high pass filter at about 180Hz? I don't use the built in speakers which is why I'm still giving the TV a 5 star rating. If you are going to use the on board speakers, it may be something you want to consider. The only thing that really bothers me about the TV is that all of the inputs are on the very back center which make them hard to get to.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best HD TV Around, October 20, 2009
I have it for past 1 year now and it is superb. Never gave me an issue so far (Touch wood!!) The Picture quality is amazing. Initially i was not getting the 100% of it from HD Channels until i realized i am missing a HDMI cable (They don't give you that with this product). Once i got the HDMI cable, it is a pleasure to see those HD channels, and the clarity is amazing. I haven't tried a Blue Ray Drive yet on my TV. I have tried S-Video and it works fine. Overall i would recomend this TV to anyone, it's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the Price!, January 6, 2009
I've had 2 other Sharp TV's before, both Aquos, but smaller screen sizes, so I've enjoyed Sharp's quality.
Even though this is not an Aquos model, I wanted over 40" and a good price. I found both of those in this TV.
The HD is awesome, regular TV okay, because it's hard to go back to non-HD. I've hooked up a Blue-Ray player from Sony and my old DVD's are really good. I may not even have to rent the blue-ray discs to be happy.
I'd buy this TV again! Delivery was quick. I ordered on Cyber Monday (from TN) and it arrived in Marin County, CA on Thursday, which I picked up from FedEx because I couldn't wait for delivery on Friday.
TV was easy to set-up. I've hooked up to a digital cable box for the HD with an HDMI cable (bought on eBay) and the massive colored cables from the cable company to compare. I can switch inputs, but the HDMI cable is better. Get this TV and you will love watching HD in 1080p.

1.0 out of 5 stars False Advertising: Not Always 1080p, December 19, 2009
JeremyLC (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
I have to return this TV because it was mis-advertised by Sharp. Sharp has programmed the TV such that it does not support 1080p from a PC input, even over HDMI. When attempting to display 1080p, the TV forces its "Stretch" setting which results in ~50 pixels being cut off on each edge. I called Sharp and they informed me that there is no way to disable the "Stretch" view mode; 1080p is not supported from a PC.

If you are intending on using this as a 1080p PC display, choose something else.

Rate and Discover Movies