5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic picture, once you remove the Soap Opera Effect
Purchased this TV about 2 weeks ago, based on the good reputation of it's predecessor (the 640U), and after a couple tweaks, I'm very pleased overall with it.

HOW TO GET RID OF THE SOAP OPERA EFFECT:
Published 19 months ago by John Saylers

Published 18 months ago by Michael 3:15

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic picture, once you remove the Soap Opera Effect, April 1, 2013
John Saylers (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sharp LC-60LE650U 60-inch Aquos HD 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV (Electronics)

HOW TO GET RID OF THE SOAP OPERA EFFECT:
Turning off the Motion Enhancement alone will NOT solve it. You also have to go to Picture Settings -> Advanced -> Film Mode, make sure Film Mode is on, and turn down the "Advanced" item. I turned it down from 7 to 0 and viola - The Walking Dead no longer looks like General Hospital. Although it's not labeled on the menu, the manual indicates that this setting is the Judder Reduction.

PICTURE: Right out of the box, Sports looked great, but all of our usual shows and movies looked very strange. Upon Googling the "Soap Opera Effect," I found plenty of info on how to correct it, but when turning off the Motion Enhancement didn't do anything, I was pretty worried. I was almost ready to return the TV, but after playing around a little more with the settings, I discovered the above, and now everything looks AMAZING! We have it set on Standard Mode, and with the above adjustments, movies look like you're in the theater and basketball looks like you're IN the arena!

SOUND: This is my only complaint. I was prepared for this after reading a lot of reviews - apparently the sound is bad on all of these new giant LED TVs. But it's really bad - sounds tinny, like it's coming out of laptop computer speakers. I just figured it couldn't be THAT bad, but the sound on my 37" Toshiba destroys it. I paired the TV with the Sony HTCT260 Sound Bar Home Theater System which I got on sale for $250, and it sounds phenomenal! True home theater setup - couldn't ask for anything more. I'm not taking off stars for the sound issue since I knew what I was getting into going into it and had planned on buying a sound bar system.

INTERNET: Wifi was easy to set up. I skipped it in the initial setup and went back in and did Manual Setup, and I was able to easily find and connect to my wireless network, just like connecting any other device. We don't have Netflix, so I haven't tested that, but I watched about 15 minutes of YouTube videos on there and it didn't freeze or buffer a single time. Pandora also works nicely for party music. I do wish it had Amazon Instant Video as an app, but I'm able to get this through my Blue Ray player anyway.

MOUNTING: I mounted it on the wall with a Cheetah Mounts Plasma LCD Flat Screen TV Articulating Full Motion Dual Arm Wall Mount Bracket For 32-65" Displays Up To 165LBS With 10' High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet Fits Up To 24" Studs, and it feels solid and looks great. I love the thin frame and the fact that the Sharp logo isn't huge on there. Wish the power cable was a smidge longer - it was *just* long enough to get through the wall, out the bottom, and into the power strip.

WARRANTY: I got a 3 year extended warranty directly from Sharp (that starts after the 15 month manufacturer warranty ends) for only $110.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV at a good price...for games, blurays and more, December 24, 2013
I spent hours and days and looking into TV's. I wanted a 70" without spending more than $2k total! I game every now and then and watch blurays. After extensive research and lots of questions....Here's what I found out and why I choose this model:

For starters, there is NO perfect tv. Just like all other products, it comes down to personal preferences and money. If you are looking for the hands down uncontested winner with no equal, be prepared to spend $8k to $100k (that's right 100k!) on true perfection. So don't kill yourself and waste your valuable time, instead look for the most "bang for your buck" you can get based on what is important to YOU.

Refresh rate... 120mhz is fine and works great for this tv. The Truth is , the human eye can't even see "refresh rate" happening because it's to fast. Also this feature is only as good as other technical features in a tv. You could buy a cheaper tv with a 240mhz rate, but if it doesn't shine in other technical aspects, then it's just a waste and a gimmick to get you to buy it. Also , when it comes to gaming , don't believe for a second that your games will lag, run slow, and be worthless unless on a 240 or 600mhz (plasma) set....they won't!

Smart-ness. Ok if you have a smart bluray player with wifi, netflix, facebook...etc etc, then save yourself some serious money and get a tv that has all the same technical features but is not "smart" . But if you just have to have it, then let me say that all the smart features are great on this tv, the layout, the streaming and wifi all seem to work well, now...is this tv a PC??? no! Will surfing, browsing , chatting...etc be as good as with a pc....no! Are tv's as "fast" as your pc....no!! Computers are better at computer stuff than tv's are, hands down. Are they acceptable on this tv....yes! But no tv is going to give you the same experience as your laptop, desktop or even tablet...not yet anyway but in the future im sure they will all be one in the same.

You can put music, pictures ..etc on a usb and this tv does a good job of playback and the "standby slideshow" thingy with your pics on usb is neat!

Gaming-- Stunning! I grew up playing games on CRT...black and white ones at that! So when I read about the difference in gaming from LED vs Plasma....I just wanna slap somebody. This tv has game mode, but I have seen no differences or delays between modes. If you have some settings turned way up or maxed , you may experience slight nunances in picture BUT game mode takes care of that and once you get the settings just the way you like them, you will be amazed. the quality is so clean and crisp

4,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio - this has a lot to do with clarity, crispness and cleaness of the picture. by contrast compare a top seller like Vizio...cheaper tv , has alot of neat features ...and that magic 240mhz refresh rate...buuuuut has 1000000 to 1 contrast ratio! 75% less than this tv! So again, what good is that 240mhz if you don't have the technical goods to back it up. This tv looks better than the 60" or 70" Vizio's that I was comparing it to. I went to wal mart and saw a big difference

Picture - Outstanding, blurays look jaw dropping. You can shut off the soap opera effect and the images will still look brilliant. I actually ripped a segment of one of my blurays , put it on usb and nobody could tell that it was being played from a usb stick and NOT a bluray. it looked that good

I recommend that you get the Disney WOW bluray to calibrate the tv. You can calibrate each mode and then adjust it to however you want afterwards

like with all flat tv's ....you will need a sound bar. the speakers are in the back and it sounds crappy. but they all do.

there is minimal glare from the screen and that's a huge plus living in sun drenched south!

It's light and energy efficient....

DNLA compatible !!

tons of connections!

I can go on and on... this tv is just plain great. It does everything I want it to. I couldn't care less if it's not 3D, I can't stand 3D anyway so it works for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars (EDITED) Good TV, but inspect upon delivery and look at the bottom of the screen..., April 25, 2013
First TV that arrived was only carried in by a single delivery guy. When you test this TV, use a WHITE screen and be sure to view the edges. Mine had black flares on the bottom which I noticed while viewing a hockey game. Sharp's customer service was OK, but Amazon's has been great so far. Replacement arrived this AM and it seems better but I still need an hour or so with it to adjust the settings. The repair guy that Sharp sent said that the black flares were caused by "pressure points" in the frame which were probably caused by the television being dragged while in the box during delivery.

Update:

I have adjusted the settings based on what the other reviewer had posted. For my tastes, that picture is a little too dark. I increased the brightness and sharpness a little bit. However, those settings are a great place to start.

For the price, this seems like a good tv. You definitely have to tweak it a bit to get good results though. I still notice some slight light distortion at the very bottom which goes up about an inch and a half. This could be caused by the weight of the television upon the bottom of itself. It is only really noticeable on a plain white screen, and it is much better than the previous one I had. Hopefully this will fade in time once the tv settles in.

In regards to support from Sharp, well, it was OK, but they made me send them pictures. Amazon simply said, "OK, we will replace it, no charge for shipping, no problem." You can't beat customer service like that. Everyone I spoke with at Amazon was very kind and professional. Thanks Amazon for putting customer satisfaction first and making the whole process as painless as possible.

2nd update:
After a few weeks, I am still noticing light flares at the bottom of the screen, they aren't really visible during dark scenes, but it certainly is taking the enjoyment out of watching my hockey games. Contacted Sharp and heard nothing back. Seriously debating returning. It's kind of like buying a new car and noticing a scratch on it you missed when you picked it up. Frustrating. Sharp...where are you? If anyone has a solution to the light flare problem, let me know! To return or deal with it...after a year will this still drive me mad? Will it get worse?

3rd update:
TV is going back on Friday. Sharp actually was very nice on my last few dealings with them, gotta give them credit for trying. But they said the lighting at the bottom of the screen was "up to specs." It's really a pity because aside from this issue, it is a decent set. LCD does not have the brilliance of plasma though and the bottom of screen during hockey games looked like (and I'm quoting my gal here) "the bottom of the screen is a crumpled piece of paper that got jammed." It didn't do it on the top or the sides, just the bottom. The cause is very likely the weight of the TV upon itself.

Well, here's hoping that the new set I ordered is better. But now I'm reading that set has "lag issues" on gaming.

I love Amazon, their customer service is top notch, but buying TVs through them is challenging because you can't see the model for yourself in person. You have to rely on reviews and research, which can be a blind buy. Luckily, their return policy is very lenient so you can find the right fit for the dollar and your needs.

Goodbye Sharp, hello Panasonic I guess.

1.0 out of 5 stars will not buy sharp again, June 15, 2014
I bought this television in December 2013. I have had it for 6 months. it has developed a green vertical line down the left side of the screen. I called amazon and they said I need to talk to sharp. after taking 15 pictures and emailing them to sharp, they called to inform me that they don't have a return policy with amazon. my only option will be to accept a refurbished unit, which they don't have in stock. so they will send it to me once they have one. this tells me that I am waiting for someone to return a television so they can refurbish and send to me. I am very disappointed with sharp and will never purchase their product again. I am also disappointed with amazon for not backing up their sales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid TV, April 3, 2013
After semi-seriously researching new TVs for a month I finally decided to purchase the 60LE650U. I auditioned it locally along with competing TVs I was considering (Samsung UN60EH6000 and Vizio e601I-A3 to name a couple). The first things that stood out with the Sharp were the superior contrast ratio and deep black levels. Picture coloration seemed quite natural...it didn't appear to be skewed towards any color. Viewing in the store was enough for me to make my decision.

I observed the same "soap opera effect" out of the box that other reviewers commented on and followed thier instructions for how to eliminate this. After a little tweaking, motion seemed natural. The first thing I tried out was the Netflix app. After downloading an update, it launched Netflix no problem. After initial buffering of 5-10 seconds loading a movie everything played smoothly with zero lag whatsoever. I had previously been streaming Netflix from my computer to my old 720p Sony LCD TV. In short, I had no idea the kind of resolution I observed on the Sharp was even possible through Netflix...I was blown away by the quality of streaming content (Thor was impressive to say the least). I haven't made it through all the apps yet, but the ones I have tried and the interface are very nice.

In dark viewing with very dark scenes a little edge bleed can be seen originating in the corners of the screen and progressively fading extending about 3 inches out. This is quite faint however on my unit and is nearly impossible to notice under average viewing conditions. That is my only minor complaint about the screen. Otherwise the lighting and picture are very uniform and the overall quality of the set seems quite impressive for the price.

So far, zero regret about this purchase & would make again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal set, and great value, but not 100% perfect..., June 28, 2013
W. Hunt "SegWayne" (Herndon, VA, United States) - See all my reviews
I upgraded from a Samsung 50" Plasma which only lasted about 2 1/3 years (4 months out of extended BB warranty) that had suddenly developed the dreaded "vertical blue lines" down the center. Originally, I thought to just bite the bullet and buy the 60" Samsung LED that they now had on sale, but noticed that -- for $100 more than what I paid for my new Sharp -- it only had two (2!!!) HDMI inputs and no extended "SmartTV" functionality at all.

In the first review I read here for my new Sharp 60le650 TV before buying, it was all about the "Soap Opera Effect" and how to turn that unintential setting off/down... I'd point people to that review and say it's almost 100% on the money. Once I turned off that "feature", the picture I get is just outstanding.

What I can tell you about the Sharp 60LE650 sitting in my living room is this;

- PICTURE QUALITY : Yes, out of the box, you'll want to tinker with the picture and sound quality settings. You'll also need to turn DOWN the Picture Settings >> Advanced >> Film Mode to ZERO (not off, just down). Because of the great reviews here, setting up my TV to my likings (and the DVD calibration thing) took about an hour. Now that it's adjusted, I could not ask for a better picture quality.

My one potential issue is the automatic dimming (Energy star settings?) of the screen to accommodate light or dark rooms. In the older analog days, when a light turned on or off in a room, the TV set would adjust gradually (within a few seconds). My Sharp (and I'm hoping it's only a setting) seems to be so sensitive that in a dark room, the image goes bright or dark instantly with changes to the scene on the screen itself. Even a white screen being shown causes the TV to go a little wonky trying to self-adjust the brightness.

I tried turning off the energy star auto dimming features, but then the screen got unbelievably bright/washed out and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. As annoyances go -- as I said -- all TV's do the same, I'm just maybe a little unaccustomed to it on this set, having gone from Plasma to LED overnight.

- SOUND : If you're used to massive, theater-level surround sound and 20hz to 20khz bass response, you will be disappointed by the built-in speakers. There's just now way around that, but I'm honestly surprised by the idea that ANYONE could possibly be surprised by this. Apples and Oranges.

If you're like me (apartment dweller, courteous to my neighbors), the built-in speakers are just fine. I turned on the automatic volume leveling -- to help with the annoying commercials -- and bass improvement options and *I* believe it'll suit me well. It's certainly no worse than my former Samsung. That being said, I've never really done surround sound receivers and such as it really freaks out the pets... :)

- SMART TV options : The Sharp 650 series comes with built-in functionality for Netflix, Hulu, and seemingly a "dozen" other features including a web browser. I tried the Netflix functionality out as soon as I got the picture sorted, and the best I can say is "it works". I have to confess that I'm a bit spoiled, as I currently use an AppleTV unit almost exclusively for my TV time. The AppleTV simply does it all better, faster, and more conveniently than the built-in functionality. The only thing my AppleTV doesn't have is a web browser, but I could honestly never see using the TV's web browser for anything unless I bought a bluetooth mouse and keyboard or I was desperate and didn't have my iPad (or laptop) nearby.

In summary, and all in all, Let me say this.

For the price I paid (NIB, on sale), this is an incredible TV set for the money. Unless you're expecting a $5000 TV for around the $1000 mark, you will not be disappointed. Just know that you'll have to spend a little time getting it "tuned" to your own ideal picture. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with almost every aspect of the Sharp 60LE650.

As for long-term life expectancy of the set, I can only hope it's better than the 2-year-old Samsung plasma it replaces, or that the extended warranty is worth more than the paper it's printed on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Exactly 3 months of use, January 9, 2014
This Sharp 60" was a great TV for the 3 months that I've had it. However, last night while I was playing video games, a narrow, bright green line appeared running vertically through the screen. It's there as soon as I turn on the TV, and shows on every input. I can't watch anything without noticing it. I called Sharp and after doing a couple of resets, I was told to email them pictures of the line, screen, and the back of the unit. Even if they make it right, I don't know that I'll ever buy another Sharp TV... This was my first, but if it has problems this soon, will it make it another year or two even after a fix or replacement?!? Meanwhile my Panasonic plasma looks as good as the day I bought it 4 years ago. I should have stuck with the brands I know and trust. Tread with caution.

1.0 out of 5 stars DONT BUY THIS TV, February 3, 2014
This is a review of tv...not Amazon. I did not buy from Amazon. I'm on my second tv from Sharp. First one bought on 7-7-12.Repair guy came out to do a check up per extended warranty agreement and said I needed a new tv. It had bright white pixels on bottom of screen. No big deal I thought its a bad panel it happens. When I got the replacement, it was ok for about 3 months they appeared again. Even more than my last. A different tech said they would turn into clouds eventually. Got the run around from Sharp, eventually Sharp offered me a buy out, but it wasn't enough to even buy one of the exact same model. Not that I would. All I want is to be made whole again on this purchase. There's a reason, I discovered later why Sharp can make a tv this big so cheap (If you can call what I paid for it cheap) Inferior panels. Look at this on display in stores before you buy. Look at different backgrounds. If you see tiny white bright pixels...Run! It is in my opinion it's a piece of junk. If you do decide to buy one of these, buy the extended warranty. Because you will probably need it. Better yet look at another brand. I have 3 other flat screens of different brands and not a bright white pixel in the bunch. I will probably take a hit on this. But I will do so knowing better. NO MORE SHARP PRODUCTS IN MY HOME!!!!! If you have one of these and you like it, that's great. It does have a good picture, but for my money, I think it should last longer.
Just my opinion. Buyer Beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE!! TV HAS BEEN BROKEN 6 MONTHS UNDER WARRANTY AND SHARP SAYS THEY DONT HAVE A WAY TO FIX OR REPLACE IT IN PHOENIX AZ, December 25, 2013
Jeff Mitchell (Phoenix, Arizona.) - See all my reviews
BUYER BEWARE!!! The worst customer service of my life. Several thousand dollars for a tv that lasted 3 months. We have called Sharp over and over and gone to the top and they do not have a contractor who will work for them in a city as large as Phoenix and have not offered to replace or ship the tv. We are stuck with a new broken tv and they simply don't care. I don't see them being around long with this level of quality and service. My employer has the same tv and it also only lasted a few months before the screen blacked out. They also could not get Sharp to repair it and ended up throwing it out for an LG.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Don’t buy Sharp Aquos TV, their Warranty and attitude are horrible!, June 18, 2014
I spent over $3000 on the Sharp Aquos 80 inch TV. Except for an inability to follow a football or baseball without making multiple images it was good for 6 months. Then 23 white blotches developed on the screen whenever it was dark. I contacted Aquos and dealt with a very professional and helpful representative who told me if it couldn’t be fixed I would be sent a new one. It took a month for them to acknowledge the set was unrepairable. I was then informed they would not send a new set. They would wait until one of their sets was returned and they would refurbish the set. They also had no idea when it would be ready. In the meantime the set was close to unwatchable. 5 weeks later I called again and was told they would make me a “deal” - they would send the refurbished set when they got it and they had no idea when this would be. I was furious, this was a warranty repair. I tried to get the employees name and address so I could have my attorney start a lawsuit. I was then given to someone else who said the request for the refurbished set was never sent in and I would get it in 1-2 weeks. 3 weeks later I got called that they would deliver a set, but unlike the one I paid for it wouldn’t be able to access NETFLIX or the internet. I spent over 6 hours on the phone with these people.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jul 29, 2014 7:33:51 AM PDT
Hello, Mr. Heller. Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the delay and inconvenience you have experienced. We will review your case in detail so that we can improve our processes going forward. Regarding your replacement product, model LC80LE642U, this model can access Netflix and the internet. I apologize if this was not communicated to you properly. If you would like us to reach out to you to discuss this further, please let us know via email at onlinesupport@sharpusa.com.