Snagged this beautiful monstrosity on a Black Friday sale for $300 off (too good a deal to pass up on). I almost didn't pull the trigger, but I'm so darned glad I did. From what I've seen of it so far in the approximately 4 days I've had it and one day I've played with it, I love it. As long as it doesn't blow up or fall over, I'll be a happy camper!

While I...
Published on November 28, 2011 by Michael Gmirkin

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks decent, but Walt's TV might have been the problem.....
Finally found that more-or-less budget TV, and ordered it. Price was 1099.00. Not a great price, but not too bad. Amazon at least has a good policy for returns, so what's to worry, right?

Published on January 24, 2012 by G.Trent

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm blown away by my first HDTV! What can I say? Guess I already did..., November 28, 2011
Michael Gmirkin (Beaverton, Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sharp LC60E69U 60-inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV (2011 Model) (Electronics)

While I haven't yet played a Blu-Ray with it, I've upconverted the bare Avatar DVD and piped it through the Sony BD player via HDMI, and unless you're standing right up next to it, it looks absolutely fantastic. From the ~8-10 feet away my recliner's situated, it just looks stunning. I'm sure Blu-Ray will look even better at native 1080p.

This TV isn't for the faint of heart or for only one person to set up. It's HEAVY. It's at minimum a 2-person job getting it out of the box, assembling the base and positioning it on your entertainment center. Did I mention it's heavy? Well, it's 60"! What did I expect? ;)

I'm still fiddling with the controls to figure out what's the best way to view movies and such. I'm thinking I may have to leave the 'film' mode off, as I think that might be the anti-juddering smoothing feature that tends to give a very 'soap opera' visual effect. Like it does TOO GOOD a job cleaning up the picture. Especially on CGI / animated videos, it makes the CGI look VERY computer generated and a little mechanical rather than fluid like it should be.

The unit comes with several pre-set display options you can flip through, some of them being standard, movie, etc. I assume they play with the brightness, contrast, color temperature. I think I've generally left mine on Standard or Film and just turned off the anti-juddering features and things look pretty normal.

The colors seem vibrant and Avatar was just completely beautiful on the big screen, even with the standard definition source DVD. I've seen a number of units in the stores where the colors seem washed out or faded (poor contrast). Ad far as I can tell, this unit seems to have excellent color gamut.

I'm fairly new to this, so YMMV.

I'll just say that, so far, I'm impressed and don't regret this purchase in the slightest. Only thing I worry about is whether my existing entertainment center is sturdy / stable enough to hold the thing. I might end up buying a new smaller entertainment center that's lower to the ground and designed for the super huge screens, just to be safe. So far, it seem reasonably stable, though. & attaching the base wasn't all the difficult once I got the unit out of the box, which was a bit of a chore as I was ill-advisedly doing so on my own. The actual moving/setup I got help with though. Anyway, attaching the base is just basically inserting a metal bracket into the base and attaching 10 screws, then sliding those brackets attached to the base into the bottom of the TV and screwing in 4 more screw. Done. Pretty painless.

It's got, I think 4 HDMIs (3 back, 1 side), 2 Composites/RCAs (1 back, 1 side), one component (back) and one coaxial (back), I think. And there might be an audio out / digital audio out too, if I remember right (I'd have to look).

I think it usually takes about 5-10 seconds to warm up and come on?

Oh, and it doesn't come with any built-in 'apps,' which is fine. I've got those via my Blu-Ray player, so it would probably be somewhat redundant anyway...

I haven't yet figured out what OPC stands for (it keeps coming up at the bottom of the screen with a couple indicator icons next to it). I'm thinking it's maybe adjusting picture quality on the fly or something? If so, I wonder if there's a way to turn it off or at least turn off the indicator, as it can be a little distracting at times.

It seems to come with a fold-out setup / quick start guide, but no manual per se? That's perhaps a little disappointing. I'd rather like to have something to refer back to once in a while and learn all the ins and out of the TV's functions / menus. Though most of the functions can be accessed through the Menu button and are largely self-explanatory.

So, there's my thoughts on the matter. I hope they're helpful. Haven't found any major drawbacks yet other than just the fact it's just big and heavy... But, if you can get past that, and have a nice sturdy place to put it, so far I can't see much to complain about. I'll have to wait until I've played a BluRay through it to give a final word on the 1080p playback. But, the movies I've played through my new WiFi-enabled Blu-Ray player have been great to look at. Not sure whether they were HiDef or not, but I guess if I can't tell the difference unless I'm standing only ~12 inches way from the screen, it doesn't much matter does it? ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks decent, but Walt's TV might have been the problem....., January 24, 2012
G.Trent (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews

TV came on time, the shipper was great. Box had some forklift damage to it, but contents looked like they were in good condition. Only weird thing was that the remote already had batteries in it. Actually, not so weird. I've spoken to a few folks (sales people, shippers, techs), and they all agree that it was a used item. Batteries are not shipped installed, apparently. Buuuuuut since the TV was in good condition, I was willing to overlook the small "I paid for new, but got used" issue.

Threw in a BluRay disc, and the picture looked great - we're gonna have some real TV viewing now, we are! Heck yeah!

The next day I ran a calibration disc, and on the lower third of the screen, center line, was a 4" or so mark that was internal, and only showed when the screen was very light - like a sky, or a tablecloth, etc. No marring or mark external, but it looked like the screen was creased, or an edge had hit it, or.... whatever. But once noticed, it's always seen. So the TV had to go back. Called Amazon, arranged for return, and told them that I'd just like another TV of the same model.

Nope, can't do that, Walt's has raised the price to 1249.00 now, and there's no way we can replace your TV, since Walt's won't replace it. You'll just have to buy another one for more money. (well, the Amazon rep didn't say that last sentence, but that's the reality of it.)

Really? I mean...really? How's that for customer service?

Buy something that's supposed to be new, and it's actually used? Then it's defective, and the seller refuses to replace it? (yep, as is their right, they can just refund the money...just as it's my right to throw this information out there as to their business practice. The old adage about sowing and reaping kinda springs to mind, ya know?)

We'll be buying another TV soon, but we'll never buy anything from Walt's, ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the price, February 10, 2012
This review is for the LC60E79U 60" Sharp Aquos. [...]%26%2334%3B+Class+/+LCD+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+HDTV/3641541.p?id=1218422888626&skuId=3641541

A Sharp Choice
It is midnight on Black Friday and I'm standing in line at Best Buy. Some people may say I'm crazy for being out on this day. I was in the market for a television and saw a great deal for one and couldn't pass it up. After hours of standing in line outside and inside, I finally got my television and I have to say it was well worth it. Along with the television being 60", it also is backed with many features including good refresh rate and great resolution. If you ever wondered what television to buy, I would say the 60" Sharp Aquos is a top choice.
I'm a big movie person and I wanted to enjoy my DVDs on a nice big screen. With the Sharp Aquos being 60" from corner to corner, it was the best for optimal viewing in large rooms like my living room. I previously had a 32" and I have to say that I enjoy almost doubling my old TV in size. It is easy to move by myself too with it only being 92 lbs. with the stand on. You can mount the TV on the wall, but since I live in an apartment I'm not hanging it on their walls.
One of the things people look for in televisions is the hertz. This Sharp Aquos is 120Hz. Hertz means the number of times the image on the TV is updated per second. So if the TV is 120Hz, this means the image is getting refreshed 120 times a second. This isn't the top refresh rate but it is not the lowest either. For what I needed out of a TV, the Sharp Aquos suits me just fine. It is a good fast-motion picture quality. The TV being 1080p isn't bad either. This number stands for the number of lines that create the image on the screen and the letter stands for the type of scan used by the TV to display the image. The more lines there are means the better the picture will be. There are three different kinds and the Sharp Aquos' 1080p is the top one. The active contrast helps make a greater sense of depth.
People like to hook stuff up to televisions, so let's take a look at the back of the television. There are several inputs for all kinds of devices. The inputs include four HDMI, two components, two composite, four audio and one PC. HDMI is only high-speed connection to deliver a full HDTV experience with full 1080p and digital surround sound. If you don't want to upgrade to the HDMI there is the component and composite inputs that can be used for your DVD player or gaming consoles. You can also hook up your computer to the screen and use it as a big monitor. There is also a place for audio output. This is so you can have a stereo or surround sound hooked up to the television.
I would say there is one down side to this Sharp Aquos and that would be the sound. There are only two speakers on this set and they put out only 20W of power. There is times where I can hear it just fine and then there is other time when I have to turn it up to the 40s but that also can be the channels. I would say if you are looking for a nice audio output then you might want to invest in a good surround system or just hook up a stereo to it and use those speakers.
With the Sharp Aquos having a good refresh rate and great resolution, along with many inputs and being light weight, I believe I got a steal when I bought this TV. I would rate this 4.5 out of 5 with the only down side being the audio. Televisions with this kind of size and numbers cost in the thousands and I only paid in the hundreds. I would recommend the 60" Sharp Aquos to anyone looking for a nice television for a great price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible!, November 22, 2012
I bought this TV on September 13, 2012. As soon as I got it home and set up my wife and I noticed some issues. First, the picture was horrible. So we thought it might be the HDMI cable. So we went out and picked up the high end gold plated cable. That didn't fix a thing. The skin tones would shift from extremely light to extremely dark the longer the image was in view. So we talked to best buy and the tech told us to change the settings to movie mode and see if that helped. That cleared up the skin tone issue. Then I started noticing the image would shutter periodically. It seemed like the image would go into slow motion for a split second and then go back to normal. This would happen on everything we used. DVD player, Cable, PS3, it didnt matter. Then one day my wife told me that the TV was flickering. I asked her how many times this has happened and she said like 5 or 6 times a day. So I sat down and watched the TV for a while and didn't notice anything. As soon as I went to get up the TV flickered. It seemed like someone turned the TV off and then right back on again. So at this point I called Best Buy. They referred me to a third party tech because they didn't have anyone on their team that was Sharp certified. So the tech called me and I explained to him what was going on. He told me that he was going to order the Main processing board for the back of the TV and that should fix the issue. So the board came in and he replaced it. He said if this doesn't fix the issue then the TV would need a new panel. So this did not fix the issue and the Tech said that it would cost more to replace the panel then it would to just return the TV. So I went back into Best Buy and told then what was going on. I showed them the service receipts and told them that I needed to return the TV. So Best Buy stated that I had to go through Sharp to get a return authorization code before they could take the TV back seeing it was covered under the manufactures warranty. So the Geek squad transferred me to Sharp. So I explained to Sharp the entire situation and I was told that I need to go through Best Buy and just return the TV. So I told them I was at Best Buy and they said I needed to go through Sharp. The guy says "Oh ya, ya. You do need to go through us." So I tell the guy that I need a return authorization code. So he says that the service tech needs to call them and explain what he did. So I have the service tech call the next day. The service tech calls me back and says "Ummm this is going to sound a little crazy but this is what Sharp is telling me needs to get done. Sharp is going to need you to take a picture of the TV when it is having the shutter of flicker issue, then email it to me so I can email it to them." So I said do they not understand what the issue is and that a picture doesn't capture motion and won't show the shutter or flickering? The service tech said I know and it is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. So I decided to call Sharp back. So I got a hold of someone that could barely speak English and just had them transfer me to a supervisor. I explained to the supervisor everything that was happening again and how all I needed was a return authorization code. So the supervisor gives me the standard I'm sorry but I can't give you that code and you file needs to go up for review before the code is issued and that takes 3 to 5 business days. So at this point I am at my wits ends and tell the guy to transfer me to the people that review my file and issue the code. He tells me "Sir, I'm sorry but that department does not speak with the customer directly and I can't transfer you." So I told the guy I was about to just smash the TV and mail it back to them in a plastic bag and I better have an answer by the end of the day. So the next day I call Sharp back at around noon because I still have not heard anything. Carlos answers the phone pulls my file up and asks me to explain what is going on with the TV. So I flip out and tell him to read the fill and get me my return authorization code. He says that my file needs to be reviewed and blah blah blah. So I tell him that I am making a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I will be righting numerous reviews online. Well wouldn't you know it. Two hours later I got a call from Best Buy not Sharp letting me know I have a valid return authorization code. So 3 to 5 business days turned into two hours after telling them I was going to call the Better Business Bureau. This TV might have just been that one bad TV off the line but the customer service is the reason why I will never buy another Sharp product again. The people do nothing but give you the run around and work harder at trying not to work than anything else. Horrible!

3.0 out of 5 stars NO DIGITAL AUDIO INPUT, May 26, 2014
OVERALL THE TV IS GOOD.
THE PICTURE IS GREAT
THE SOUND QUALITY IS NOT SO GREAT
3 HDMI INPUTS
OVERALL FOR THE PRICE IT WAS A DECENT PICTURE I JUST FIND IT STRANGE TO LEAVE OUT THE DIGITAL AUDIO INPUT ON A HIGHER END TV>

5.0 out of 5 stars great set got it for 600 at walmart on clearence, April 18, 2014
The set is heavy it will take two people to move it the only it does not have is a optical output fiber optic wire port otherwise a great pichure out of the box i do love this set very much and my ps4 looks great on it best tv i ever owned

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, August 25, 2013
It has a great picture and love the size. The sound is good but can get bad if its too loud. For movies with big explosions and the like you'll wanna get a sound system to supplement it but its good for most viewing. Its a great basic flatscreen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the price...if you can catch the TV on sale, December 20, 2011
I was able to buy this TV for $799 during a weekend sale at a local B&M. The store also offered an additional 10% off coupon which I had to argue with the store manager to give me. Therefore, my total price was down to $720 before tax. This is an incredible bargain for a 60" Sharp AQUOS tv. Picture quality once callibrated looks fantastic. No refresh rate issues during NFL games when the ball is thrown in the air. However, playing Call of Duty on my XBox is giving me some fits. I don't know if it's the refresh rate or the fact that I'm playing on a TV that almost twice the size of my old 34" CRT 1080i TV.

TV isn't super slim. However, I don't have it on my wall...just have it on a large TV stand.

At any rate, I believe this TV can easily be had for under a grand. If you're lucky like me, you can get it way under a grand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, January 5, 2012
I bought this TV a couple of weeks ago at costco for $899 plus 3 years ADDITIONAL warranty (~$50), 5 years in total; they were selling like hot-cakes, I bought the floor display model at regular price. I'm not affiliated with Costco, but probably a lifelong customer.

TV was very easy to set up and light, considering what it replaced (a heavy and humongous 10-year old 32 inch tube Sony that went to Habitat for Humanity for -$25). It doesn't have internet features which I don't need anyway, since I already have google tv and roku feeding it.

Things I'd learnt/trying to find out:

* the manual shows an "optical" cable connecting the TV's digital audio output to the receiver but I could connect using a regular 75 ohms (yellow) RCA coax. Not sure if it's a misprint or the socket also includes an "optical" mode.

* firmware: there's a USB port to flash firmware.
So far, no sw available yet from the sharp site:
[...]

* features: I don't think it does video upscaling (might be useful for upscaling low res wii etc.)

* quality: TV sound quality/loudness is acceptable.

* color: movie setting seems to have natural colors to me.

* Manual:
files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTVs/Manuals/mon_man_LC60E69U.pdf

5.0 out of 5 stars great tv!!, December 20, 2011
very very nice tv. shopped around for a long time and the price is $200 cheaper at costco.picture is great. enough said

Sharp LC60E69U 60-inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV (2011 Model)
$1,099.99 $999.99