3,370 Reviews
 (1,606)
 (1,032)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, interesting first novel
Summary, no spoilers.

This is the story of Camille Preaker, who works as a reporter for a newspaper in Chicago. She has been assigned to cover the story of a possible child serial killer in a small town in Missouri. She was given this story mainly because this small town happens to be her hometown.

We know that Camille is a physically beautiful, but...
Published on October 19, 2006 by sb-lynn

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but far fetched
Published on December 19, 2006 by Steven James

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, interesting first novel, October 19, 2006
sb-lynn (Santa Barbara, California United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Summary, no spoilers.

We know that Camille is a physically beautiful, but very troubled young woman. We know that she does not want to go home, and throughout the course of this disturbing novel we find out why.

I found this to be a very interesting story, and a page-turner which is high compliment. This book does an excellent job of showing the repercussions of child abuse, and what life is like in a small town.

The only reason this book did not get 5 stars is the mystery aspect. I cannot say more without a spoiler, but I found that part of the resolution improbable for a variety of reasons.

Still, this is a suspenseful, *different* book, and I think that the character of Camille Preaker will stay with me for a long time. I would definitely give Gillian Flynn another try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical thriller, October 16, 2006
This review is from: Sharp Objects: A Novel (Hardcover)
One gripe I have about most thrillers is that the plot is all-important, and the characters end up so dull -- interchangeable, really. Not so with Camille in Sharp Objects! She's an incredibly-flawed and fragile character who I'm sure will haunt me for a long time, and whom I'll be reminded of sometimes when I see a certain type of person on the street.

I found this book to be an emotional experience because the deeper I got into Camille's world and the more I learned her personal story, the more I realized that her discovery of who the murderer was would have the potential to absolutely destroy her -- and she's someone who, by all rights, really should have hit bottom by now.

A short, terse book you won't soon forget.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Hard-Boiled Heroine, December 11, 2006
Kevin Joseph (McLean, VA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sharp Objects: A Novel (Hardcover)
When men fight, according to first novelist Gillian Flynn, they tend to bludgeon one another in blunt contests of strength, like good-natured warriors facing off in an athletic contest. Women fight in a much nastier fashion, she asserts, clawing, biting and using whatever other sharp objects are available to achieve domination over their female rivals. If you're willing to buy into Flynn's scathing portrayal of the so-called gentler sex, you'll surely be sucked into this dark mystery/thriller.

Camille Preaker, a reporter for an obscure Chicago newspaper, is assigned to investigate the recent murders of two young girls in her claustrophobic Missouri hometown. Besides overcoming the natural wariness the townsfolk exhibit toward a nosy journalist, Camille must face down her dysfunctional family - a controlling mother, distant step-father and a disturbed, thirteen-year-old step-sister whose catty group of friends makes the "Mean Girls" crowd look like a troup of Brownies. The closer Camille gets to cracking this grisly mystery, the harder she struggles to keep her horde of inner demons at bay and the more she begins to fear for her own safety.

If judged purely by the intensity of its suspense and page-turning quotient, "Sharp Objects" would easily merit five stars. Flynn taps into the psychological horror generated by a twisted family in a way that electrifies the narrative, reminding me of Dean Koontz in that regard. I had trouble, though, accepting the unlikely logistics behind the crimes and found certain characters to be so over-the-top as to strain credibility. These quibbles aside, Gillian Flynn already has mastered a fast-paced and hard-boiled writing style that's perfectly suited for the suspense genre, and she has created a fascinating heroine who could form the centerpiece for a winning series.

-Kevin Joseph, author of "The Champion Maker"

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Psychological Thriller, December 9, 2011
Regina "Regina" (Oak Park, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sharp Objects: A Novel (Paperback)
I love a good psychological thriller with disturbingly flawed characters and this book did not disappoint. The main character is a woman struggling to make a life for herself, fleeing her childhood and really, fleeing her mother when she is sent back to her home town as an investigative reporter. She is tasked to report on the gruesome murders of two pre-teen girls, but in the process she gets put right back in the middle of her messed up family dynamics, her small town's social structure, and a potential romance.

Ms. Flynn nails perfectly small Midwest town life. A quote in her description of small town life,

"Like all rural towns, Wind Gap has an obsession with machinery. Most homes own a car and a half for every occupant, plus boats, Jet Skis, scooters, tractors, and among the elite of Wind Gap, golf cars, which younger kids without licenses use to whip around town."

Ms. Flynn makes some disturbing observations about parenting and family life - and ties them in to premature death:

As to the death of a young girl, "it's the only way to truly keep your child. Kids grow up, they forge more potent allegiances. They find a spouse or a lover. They will not be buried with you. The Keenes, however will remain the purest form of family. Underground."

The situations described in this book are exceptional, but she breaks the image of small rural life as being ideal. Terrifying violence and dysfunction lurks beneath the surface and I have to say, she nailed it in terms of describing my small rural home town. As Flynn writes, the idealic quality of small towns is false. A question is - should people go home once they have fled extreme unhappiness? Can they go home and survive it emotionally? Going home almost undoes Camille and as the story is told the readers see from a disturbing first person angle, Camille's personal psychological problems and the extent of her damage. It was terrifying to read about, but I could not put the book down.

A truly horrifying image of the protagonist's mother: (view spoiler)[ "I remember my mother, alone in the living room, staring at the child almost lasciviously. She pressed her lips hard against the baby's apple slice of a cheek. Then she opened her mouth just slightly, took a tiny bit of flesh between her teeth, and gave it a little bite." (hide spoiler)]

A question I had was, what was Ms. Flynn's message in this? Small rural towns are messed up? Family dynamics can really screw people up? Old school social hierarchies breed disturbing people? I did find it interesting that the men in this story, save one, are thoroughly disappointing and that the evil, cruel and shallow women are images of beauty and physically were ultra feminine in terms of how our society defines such things. The violence that happens to women and girls happens on the brink of girls becoming women, and the things done to them (view spoiler)[ shaving the girls legs, fixing their hair, painting their nails (hide spoiler)] are superficial ways femininity have has been defined in our modern culture. And finally, the evil doers (view spoiler)[ are the ultra beautiful, the ultra coiffed, and the ultra physical female ideals (hide spoiler)]. What comment is Flynn making on images of women, female sexuality and femininity in modern US culture? I am asking because I have not yet decided what the answer is.

I recommend this book for people who enjoy dark psychological thrillers, where the mystery and murder are just set ups for authors to portray dark disturbing characters and fully fleshed but damaging relationships. I would say fans of Tana French, Donna Tartt, and Laura Kasischke would enjoy this book, but beware, it is not for the faint hearted - the decryptions of physical violence can be upsetting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but far fetched, December 19, 2006
Steven James (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sharp Objects: A Novel (Hardcover)
This book touches on every "disease of the week" known to man. It deals with cutting, alcoholism, teen drugs and sex, animal cruelty, mean girls, etc. The author doesn't thoroughly draw any conclusions for any of these topics and while I was reading I kept waiting, almost smugly, for the next "crisis". That said, the story was really pretty good and it left me a bit unsettled. One passage about the pigs was particularly disturbing. I'll never eat a ham sandwich again without thinking about this book. Although the characters were interesting they were highly unbelievable and unlikeable. I was none too sympathetic toward any of them. I would recommend this book to open-minded adults (definitely not for anyone under 16) who like gothic-type mysteries and aren't easily offended by graphic sex and bizarre situations involving children.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tall tale from Missouri "SPOILER ALERT", September 3, 2012
This review is from: Sharp Objects: A Novel (Paperback)
This is a book about several very nasty people, a few distasteful people and some that were simply uninteresting. The central character Camille falls in the latter category as she wanders through the story either under the influence of alcohol or when sober in a dreamlike world seemingly incapable of any imagination or initiative in dealing with the world about her. Camille has a small success near the end when she makes a discovery about one of the deceased, but that turns out to be unimportant in the solving of the mystery. In a way her inconsequential success predicts the final tragedy.

The setting of the story in Missouri was of interest to me, but the tale of Camille and the town folk were blended together in by a series of events that did not seem real to me. Two or three in the series of events may have been possible, but after that I had to make an effort to suspend belief in reality to finish the book. That is easier to do if at least one of the characters is interesting.

The author, for some reason, provides Camille with a "pretty face" and makes note of this feature several times in the book. It is not clear to me how Camille's looks are meaningful to the story line. Perhaps it's a reference to beauty only being skin deep.

My reaction is obviously out of step with the general reaction by others to this book. I have not read many psychological thrillers before. Perhaps readers of this type of book are better able to judge the merits of this book. My reason for reading this book is that I read Gone Girl, thoroughly enjoyed the first half of it and was looking forward to more of that type of storytelling.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved Gone Girl but this is more horror than mystery, August 7, 2012
Jana Bouc (El Cerrito, CA USA) - See all my reviews
More of a horror story than a mystery. Gillian Flynn is a brilliant writer. I LOVED her book Gone Girl (except for the ending which I found disappointing). This one I couldn't even get to the ending.

There were some scenes that were so disturbing they will probably haunt me forever, especially the horrifyingly vivid descriptions of the pig farm and the mother pigs. I would give anything to not have that image in my mind. I will definitely never eat industrially farmed pork again and maybe that was her goal in including that bit of horror.

Halfway through I realized that things were only going to get worse. Not only do I not need more awful scenes to haunt me, but I couldn't see the point in intentionally consuming evil, depravity, depression, child abuse, animal abuse, addiction, bullying, and total human destruction by equally damaged people just for the sake of an exciting read.

Fortunately Kindle books are instantly refundable. But I would have paid if I could have unread this book. Also, the Kindle format was messed up--the first letter of each chapter was supposed to be a large capital and instead was a tiny one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid, Creative Debut, October 8, 2006
Alex (DALLAS, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sharp Objects: A Novel (Hardcover)
Camille Preaker is a rookie reporter for the fourth-largest paper in Chicago, leaving a chip on the shoulder of both her and her editor, Curry. Eager to give Camille an opportunity to prove herself, as well as boost their paper's standing, Curry sends Camille to investigate a possible serial killer preying on young girls in Camille's small hometown of Wind Gap, Missouri. But beneath all places quiet and simple lie sinister and complex secrets, drawing Camille in to a dark underworld and a past that she had hoped to leave behind her forever.

Gillian Flynn is a talented writer, and her debut novel does something very special - it shows unique creativity without succumbing to the temptation to do something totally crazy just for the sake of being different from other writers in the genre. While the book is very reminiscent of Twin Peaks in more than one way, it does not "go Lynch" on its audience, subjecting us to mind-boggling dream visions or anything of the sort. Instead, the book gravitates around the theme of the pleasure of hurting: being hurt, hurting oneself, and hurting others. Add a healthy dose of evil lurking beneath small-town tranquility, a dash of being haunted by the past, and a pinch of forbidden romance, and you've got Sharp Objects in a nutshell.

Why only 4 stars? To be frank, I believe that Flynn is capable of doing better. As far as keeping the mystery going, I didn't feel cheated at the end of the novel, but I also didn't get much of a rush from putting the clues together. I believe this is because Flynn didn't want to write a thriller that had the readers obsessing over the killer's identity, but rather wanted the readers to focus on the emotional plight of the narrator. To that extent, she succeeded, but I believe she could have amped the thrill factor up without losing sight of her narrator's importance, and I look forward to seeing her work improve in subsequent novels.

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive and Predictable, November 3, 2012
This review is from: Sharp Objects: A Novel (Paperback)
After being blown away by Gone Girl, I bought both of Flynn's other novels and read this one today. Like others have said, I'm glad I read Gone Girl first. If this had been my first experience with Flynn's writing, I wouldn't have bothered reading anything else of hers.

I get the impression that it's supposed to be a mystery and that we're supposed to be shocked by the revelations in the end, but I found them both to be obvious very early on. I had the murderer pegged as soon as the character was introduced, and the other "shocker" was so obvious that I initially didn't realize it was supposed to come as a surprise to the reader. I assumed that the reader was meant to understand it without Flynn having to spell it out. In fact, I was somewhat confused as to how anyone else could have failed to connect the dots.

I spent most of the book waiting for the heroine to finally realize what had been obvious to me as a reader several chapters in. Almost everything from the introduction of the characters to the revelation of the 'secrets' is just filler. Characters repeat themselves in words and actions over and over again, and scenes are replayed in memories. I was particularly annoyed by the gimmick of taking up space by inserting the narrator's "articles", which are basically summarizations and word-for-word reprints of the dialogue and text we just read. It felt like the author was trying to reach a minimum word count. I was bored and found myself looking forward to the end of the book.

The characters range from boring cliches to comically unrealistic. The author's fixation on characters vomiting was bizarre; it happens all. the. time. and is described in detail. There's also a strange and awkward emphasis put on the hypersexualized, alcohol and ecstasy fueled 13 year old Amma's breasts, which are mentioned over and over again.

If you're expecting something as smart, riveting, and original as Gone Girl, you're going to be sorely disappointed with Sharp Objects. This book was boring, uncomfortable to read, repetitive, predictable, and not even recognizable as being written by the same author.

1.0 out of 5 stars I tried to like it, November 4, 2012
I thought the premise of this book was interesting. Unfortunately I thought the characters were unrealistic in their behavior, demeanor, interactions, and words that they used. The secondary characters were especially difficult to read about (the teenage girls and the group of women in their 40's/50's) I was pulled (jarred) out of the story so many times I gave up more than once.

Sharp Objects: A Novel
Sharp Objects: A Novel by Gillian Flynn (Paperback - July 31, 2007)
$14.00 $8.33