Published on June 13, 2007 by Gadgester

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good
Cons: The front door closes very loud.

All buttons are the same size and too small. Clear and Start buttons are in the middle between the others and the only difference is that they have these words on them. It makes difficult to press these buttons without reading where they are.

The "window" on the front door is not sturdy, it is made of a flexible...
Published on June 7, 2007 by JJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Great performer, heats fast, excellent safety, but poor keypad, June 13, 2007
This review is from: Sharp R-308KK 1-Cubic-Foot 1100-Watt Microwave Oven, Black (Kitchen)
This Sharp microwave oven, with 1 c.f. of total capacity and about 0.8 c.f. of usable capacity (according to Consumer Reports), is a great performer. It heats food quickly and for the most part evenly. The turntable turns automatically and alternates between clockwise and counterclosewise turns. There's a lightbulb inside that lights up when you open the door or when the microwave is operating. The heat output is rated at 1100W, which is usually the power assumed by most microwave heating instructions on food packages - a great convenience.

There was a story I read a few years ago that looked into microwave oven safety, and Sharp came out ahead. So I feel confidend that this microwave oven, assembled in Thailand, should also be one of the safest. Of course, you should keep at least 7 inches away from the oven when its magnetron is generating microwaves, just to be totally safe. One guy complained about the "loud" door; yes, but it's designed to be safe. I'd never trade safety for a flimsy, "easier" door.

The LCD display is always backlit (in green), which is really nice, esp. if you, like I, use the LCD as a clock and also as a timer. (Clock is am-pm-agnostic 12-hour type, while timer has a maximum countdown of 99:99.) The Minute Plus feature is extremely convenience. The keys beep when you press them, but the beep and that "cooking finished" long beep can be turned off easily. You can also invoke a "safe" mode so that the buttons don't work, kind of like a "hold" feature on audio players -- great for families with kids who like to fiddle with appliances.

My only complaint is, like all Asian electronics companies, Sharp pays little attention to the user-friendliness of the unit. The keys all look the same and are about the same size. While they are responsive, sometimes you need to hunt for the keys you want to press. The End and Start keys, in particular, should have been made to stand out. Also, unlike many other Sharp models, this one requires you to press the Power button multiple times instead of just pressing a numeric button to specify a power level. Finally, the reheat/cook button works ridiculously complicated. All these anti-user features detract a full star from an otherwise really excellent appliance.

The all-black finish looks great and the oven fits well under most kitchen cabinets. I do recommend this oven despite the ergonomic issues mentioned above. For me, Sharp microwave ovens' reliability reputation, safety record and Minute Plus convenience are reason enough to recommend them highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent microwave, November 9, 2006
Paul Dahlia (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm used to industrial microwaves(the ones used in resturants)& this one out performs those at allmost all tasks. The only place where it only matches their performance is with large frozen meals. I will definitly recomend this microwave

5.0 out of 5 stars best bang for the buck, February 11, 2007
Jeff from the West (Northern Ca deep in the Redwoods) - See all my reviews
I've owned three Sharp Carousel's and never been disappointed. This one is the best yet, defrosting a pound of hamburger quickly AND without cooking ANY part. Popcorn perfect as well.

My last Sharp was 1200 watts but this one seems to cook better. The only reason I replaced the old one was a lighting strike took out the display. My wife took the old one to work which was a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade over the one with a dial to spin.

Only con, all our appliances are white and this one is black only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Oven, May 7, 2007
maggienh (south carolina) - See all my reviews
I purchased this oven to replace one that I had for about 5 years. The LED panel went on it. I saw this oven and liked the size and power but most of all needed it to fit a particular sized footprint. It arrived and fit perfectly and the power is just great. The "only" thing I don't like and it's very minor is that the door shuts with a loud bang. Other than that it works like a charm with the many settings. Perfect for warming up coffee or syrup. I love it and would recommend for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic or Sharp? The Light Made the Difference, June 19, 2008
RainyDay (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I've had this microwave for three weeks and am very pleased. I previously owned a Panasonic which performed well but died after 3 years.

I decided on the Sharp based on very good reviews but most of all because of the utility light that turns on when the door is opened and during cooking. The Panasonic was only lighted during cooking; I found it inconvenient to check food "in the dark" when I opened the door.

The door does have a loud, distinct "clunk" upon closing. I find it noticeable but not disturbing.

The Sharp has the utility light, cooks well, has good defrost features, and a very fast (one touch) minute button for cooking. I'm glad I chose the Sharp over the Panasonic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Fast, March 8, 2007
When I first open the box, I was really impressed with its appearance. I have notice that this microwave doesn't take very well to plastic cups and plates. They melt within 2-3 minutes. (Now thats powerful!!!)Other than than that I would recommend this microwave to anyone who wants to make sure there food is throughly cooked.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, June 7, 2007
Cons: The front door closes very loud.

The "window" on the front door is not sturdy, it is made of a flexible material (some kind of the foil maybe).

This was a replacement for my SHARP 1-Cubic-Foot 1100-Watt Microwave Oven from 1994 and I am disappointed that they degraded the quality.

Pros: It warms the food fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever!, May 12, 2007
The unit performs extremely well, it meets or exceeds my needs. I only have one things that bugs me and that is the start and cancel button are in the middle of all of the controls and are hard to see if you wear glasses or have poor sight. I think the start button should be more visible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, November 3, 2007
kksox "CCRN" (East Longmeadow, MA) - See all my reviews
I had the older version of this microwave. I owned that for about 8 years and the panel with the digital buttons, numbers burned out. So I could never see what time I programmed in. The door kept getting stuck closed too. For the price and the wear, it is a great product, that is why I chose to buy another one. I have had it for 6 months or so and it is so similar to my other one, I needed no instruction. It is very easy to use, and durable. Very good power for a smallish microwave. Go for it!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sticker, July 2, 2009
Be aware the door is plastic and they place a sticker on it that cannot be removed without damaging the plastic. I sure wish I had just returned to Target.