5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice!
I recently purchased this Microwave from a dept. store in CT. I got it on sale for 89.99, which I was rather leary about in the beginning.
Published on September 28, 2003 by E. Olson

2.0 out of 5 stars Just barely outlasted the warranty...
Published on October 23, 2004 by Sherri K. Edman

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice!, September 28, 2003
E. Olson "erkolson" (Stamford, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sharp R-414Hs 1100-Watt 1.4 Cubic Foot Microwave, Stainless (Kitchen)
I brought the microwave home, and took it out of the box. It fit perfectly on the corner of my counter where I had originally planned to place it. It was a rather pain removing the plastic, protective covering ...but from there it was smooth sailing.
It is rather quiet microwaving, which is a definate plus, and it heats things up rather quickly. I popped a bag of popcorn the other night, and only had 4 actual popcorn kernels in the bag.
I'd recommend this microwave for anyone ....!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product...Excellent Customer Service, August 8, 2004
Amanda Spengler (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I got a great deal on this microwave with the 10% off coupon and Target's sale price so I was very happy to get it for less money. I received my order in only 3 days by UPS ground, which was fast but still cost me. This Sharp microwave is made in the USA, so it gets an extra star for helping the USA working man get a job. It has a LOT of power and is BIG inside and cooks in half the time as my old Goldstar microwave, so it gets another star. Not to mention that is looks super cool in stainless steel and chrome, so another star for appearance. Now for the BAD part, when I got my box the entire corner of my brand new microwave was crushed! The delivery company ruined my new microwave! I called Target and they sent out a brand new microwave by 2 day air FREE of charge! I even got the replacement microwave BEFORE I returned the first damaged microwave to them. Target even gave me a FREE USPS shipping label to return my old microwave to them for credit, so my total cost to get a replacement microwave was Zero! Target gets extra stars for their excellent customer service! So as you can see I give Target and Sharp 5 out of 5 stars! Both well deserved in my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just barely outlasted the warranty..., October 23, 2004
We received this microwave as a wedding gift just over one year ago. We LOVE how clean and sleek it looks, and the smart defrost features are really cool. BUT...it comes with a one-year warranty, and about two weeks after that was expired, the microwave went nuts-- it starts going on its own as soon as we shut the door, and does not respond to the stop button being pressed. We've troubleshot enough to realize we are going to have to take it to a repair shop (the nearest authorized dealer is 10 miles away), and since the warranty expired just a few weeks ago, we'd have to pay so much for parts and labor that we might as well just get a new one. I'm sorry to say that we will not be purchasing a Sharp microwave again-- we like the looks and the performance when it actually worked, but we can't afford to buy a new microwave every year. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect kitchen appliance, July 15, 2004
Guess I was lucky; many reviewers are dissatisfied with this Sharp microwave, but I have not had a hitch. I have had mine for close to six months and I have not had a single mishap. The oven is easy to use and program. And it's a cinch to clean. That second reason is very important to me. And, given the price, it's a hat trick!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Microwave -, March 24, 2004
By A Customer
You do not think much to it, the design is beautiful and different from the conventional microwaves, if you like modern this one is the appropriate one works very well, and the price value is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a dream!, September 30, 2003
Taylor S. Bliese (Southern Minnesota) - See all my reviews
We got this one as a wedding gift and a much-needed upgrade from my tiny, dorm room microwave we've been living with for 5 years.

Great price for a great product...this thing is amazing! It cooks things very quickly and defrosting takes half the time as my old microwave.

Once you get the hang of the pre-programmed functions, they are a snap to use and very handy. I like how the buttons are hidden by the door so the outside is sleek and uncluttered.

And it's so SMART! When you cook or defrost using one of its settings, it will beep and flash instructions like 'flip and rotate then press start' or 'cover, let stand 5 min.'
It's also much quieter than my old microwave, which is hard to believe since my old one was about 2/3 the size of this one.

I love it, and I know you will too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Repair Notes!!!!!!! Great Microwave, June 14, 2006
I received this microwave as a X-Mas gift Dec. 2004 and have used it until the microwave went screwy the other day. I finished making somehting in the microwave and shut the door and the fan and motor kept running. I thought it was overheating and just cooling off so I let it run. 10 minutes later it is still running...

So I unplugged it to reset it and it didnt work. I thought that I was going to have to bring it in to a repair shop, but they told me that they were going to charge me $50-$100 for the LABOR ALONE!!

Not worth the price when you can buy a new one cheaper. So I tore the microwave apart. I FIXED IT!!!!!

It was a little $9.75 switch that needed to be replaced. So before you junk your microwave or bring it in to get fixed. Let me know.. I can tell you how to fix it CHEAP!!!

This baby works like it is new....

If you want to contact me.....

mitch41 at hotmail.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, March 3, 2004
By A Customer
It’s beautiful, stunning. The photos don’t do it justice. Simple to use, (that’s the best part). I was using it 5 minutes after I got it plugged in. Takes up a small amount of space, but quite large inside. Powerful!!!!! Lots of USEFUL options. I’m amazed you get all this for the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved it BUT .... only for a few months, May 17, 2005
Originally I owned a Sharp Carousel Microwave and loved it. It went south after several years and was going to replace w/ another Sharp unit BUT was warned off due to reading reviews on-line. Bought a Panasonic and hated it! Poor functionally (burned food and uneven heating) and lack of programming (ease and number of options). Gave to Goodwill.

Purchased this unit and LOVED it but it blew a circuit breaker day before yesterday while cooking (unit is only 3 mos. old) and noticed an electrical smell yesterday before hearing popping and crackling sounds. Have contacted Sharp and they heave recommended a repair shop. Is it worth taking it in? May keep as a spare and purchase a Kenmore and keep fingers crossed.

I feel that I should not have to do a ton of research on a product one uses daily.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clean Lines, June 28, 2005
Mr D. "Artist/Designer/Kibitzer" (Scottsdale, Az United States) - See all my reviews
I actually keep this microwave oven in my office, therefore it does not get the same use it might in my kitchen but it does get a lot of use.

I have had it about four months and so far (knock on wood) it works fine. True it does get used mostly to heat up stuff but honestly so does the more expensive microwave I have in my kitchen and I'll bet if most people think about it, that's what they use their microwave for, mostly too. I have used the R-414 for popping popcorn though, a job it does with authority. Surprisingly this Microwave has more power and space than the one in the kitchen, which is a GE model JEM31SA.

The R-414 is rated at 1100 watts and has a clear cavity of 15"w x 9 7/16"h x 16 3/4"d. I first noticed that it was more powerful when I noticed it cooked or heated things faster than my GE. One drawback is that like all lower price microwaves, it has a turntable. Some people think turntables are an upgrade but they are actually a downgrade as more expensive microwaves do the same thing without cluttering the cavity up with a turntable.

I bought this unit because it was on a closeout at Target for half price but it was still about the best looking unit they had sale or not. it has clean lines and all controls are hidden behind the door. It takes some getting used to for you must program the unit before shutting the door. The Sharp R-414 has a top and bottom band of stainless steel (probably artificial) and a black center band with a view port. The latch and the door are constantly getting fingerprints on it so it needs to be wiped down often.

I have my unit set on a counter but I'm sure it could be used in a built in situation withe a proper trim kit. Most built in units are actually countertop models with a trim kit. However in some cases the trim kits can cost more than the microwave itself. For built in purposes the outside dimensions are: 21 11/16"w x 12 3/8"h x 17 3/8"d.

The control panel, which is not visible except for the clock/timer, when the door is shut, has convenience buttons for Keep Warm, Popcorn and Hot Water. It also has a reheat button and a cook and defrost center.

I am pleased with this unit and would say that it is a good value even at it's normal price of around a hundred dollars.