5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely versatile
I acquired this microwave when I was moving to a flat with limited kitchen space, and my primary reason for the choice was that the Sharp model was multi-functional. Since I've begun using it, I happily have ceased to sing a requiem for the toaster oven, separate grill, and other items I was 'consolidating' in this purchase.

I have used the Sharp microwave for...
Published on October 5, 2005 by Elizabeth G. Melillo

2.0 out of 5 stars Good as long as it lasted!
This Sharp microwave/convection oven worked well as long as it lasted. After only 1 1/2 years of moderate use one day a burning smell developed. I completely cleaned the inside of the oven and metal plate to make sure there was no leftover/stuck on food that might have become burned. There was only a very small amount of residue from the cleaning so we really didn't think...
Published on March 9, 2009 by P. Hanstine

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny. Great deal on Amazon. VERSATILE!, January 21, 2006
This review is from: Sharp R-820JS 0.9-Cubic Foot Grill 2 Convection Microwave, Silver (Kitchen)
I read the reviews on this microwave when I wanted more of an all-in-one machine for our smaller home. Read the reviews like I did. Fantastic versatility in this machine! I am still amazed at how nicely it roasts meats, like 5 cornish game hens at a time...perfectly done and FAST! If you work, need a convection oven, microwave, regular baking oven, delayed start, Roaster, Pizza Oven, Defroster, TOASTER oven, and probably a few other types I forgot to mention....GET THIS... I have no problems with smoke, clean up is very easy on this due to the coated turntable. Sturdy too. Remember to read all the directions and the inserts...the person that wrote it didn't do a good job of putting the information in one place. You can actually just open the door to the oven and press the 'auto button' and not even read the directions...the basic information is on the inside of the door for reference. It was very satisfying to get rid of the dangerous toaster oven that is a fire hazard. The only thing we kept was a regular toaster....It takes a bit too long for toast in the morning. Other than that, it is fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp Microwave/Convection Oven, February 8, 2008
Judith F. Schmall (Williamsville, NY USA) - See all my reviews
After working with one of the early microwaves for years, I was delighted when it finally died. There had been much discussion at our house about our "next" microwave and we had already decided to go with a microwave/convection combination. The Sharp has a good reputation with us so I looked long and hard on line before I selected the .9 Sharp.
We were not disappointed - it is very roomy inside - a large dinner plate fits inside easily. It is very good looking and easy to keep clean inside and out (I chose the stainless).
I was amazed to be able to cook on a metal rack and cooked a large stuffed pork chop to well-browned perfection in 17 minutes.
I word of advice, read the instructions and keep the sheet with the auto instructions near the oven until you get used to it. It won't let you make mistakes though. And as to the popcorn controversy -- put the popcorn on top of an inverted pyrex pie pan on top of the carosel. No burning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, February 26, 2009
C. G. King (Horse Country, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Everything I've tried in this oven has turned out better than expected and it is easier to operate than I expected as well. The instructions are clear and well presented. I virtually never read the manual first, but felt I should with this product as I was completely unfamiliar with the convection cooking process. I found the manual well organized and straightforward. Perhaps it's been updated to this clear format recently since some other reviewers were not as impressed with theirs.

My copy actually says that when microwaving popcorn, it is best to set the bag on an inverted pie plate on the carousel to elevate it a bit. Apparently, the microwave beams are focused somewhat higher than in a microwave-only oven. This is fine with me since I keep a Pyrex pie plate in the oven anyway to catch drippings from grilling operations. This makes cleanup a breeze.

I didn't expect there to be onscreen instructions for most operations, but I'm very pleased with them and haven't had to refer back to the manual at all. I've found the screen display easier to read than indicated in other reviews (it helped to remove the protective film in place for shipping, and not to stand really close to the unit but a few inches away).

In addition to microwaving operations which are a no-brainer, I've used the automated functions for grilling and roasting to assess the result and see what timing the oven used. Twenty minutes seemed a long time for hamburgers, but they were perfectly done. Two large chicken breasts cooked beautifully, as well. The salmon steak was also grilled to perfection. Although the weights of these items didn't exactly match the choices given, the results couldn't have been better. For example, the salmon steak was ¾ lb and I chose ½ lb rather than 1 lb, deciding to err on the side of less cooked, knowing I could use the `minute plus' button to extend time if I wanted to. I like my salmon medium so I was very pleased with the result without adding any time.

I've worried forever about the hot air convection process drying things out, which has kept me from trying this technology sooner, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The cooked food is much juicier than when cooked in a standard oven, and not greasy like when sautéed on the stovetop.

I purchased the Sharp oven to gain counter space by replacing both an ancient toaster oven and a too-small microwave (but not my toaster), and also to avoid using my regular oven for small portions. I'll probably end up using the Sharp a lot more than I'd planned since the results thus far are outstanding. I like that the unit vents at the back rather than either side so I can put it up close to the wall (they say to leave 2" clearance) on the side where it is most convenient for me to open the door. The motor extension in the back keeps it far enough from the back wall for air circulation and still leaves about 5-6" of counter in front of the unit. The outside of the oven gets warm during grilling, but not hot. The inside gets hot, of course, so potholders are needed to remove cooked contents. I'm glad I converted to this technology and the Sharp oven was a great choice. I based my buying decision on other reviews and appreciate the input as it helped me know what to look for and helped make my convection education easy and rewarding. I definitely recommend this oven.

5.0 out of 5 stars cedar grilled Norwegian salmon with fresh dill sauce...mmmm...., May 16, 2010
T. Nash (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I live alone and I bought this when my cheap little microwave died and I thought I might save some money on baking small meals with a small convection oven. I didn't fully utilize it for a couple years (I did bake chicken every week and loved it). I've only discovered the programed Grill option (and am exploring the other options) in the past few months and am totally amazed! I now grill steaks, burgers and this morning i grilled a small chunk of Norwegian salmon on a soaked cedar plank that was being promoted at my favorite supermarket last week where I bought the salmon on sale. Wow! Delicious! I made it for myself for brunch since I had just come off of a tiring work week and I needed a treat. It took about 11 minutes. I topped it with a little homemade dill sauce, the ingredients I always have on hand (dried dill, yogurt and lemon juice) and it was the most moist, succulent salmon I've had in a long long time, even in restaurants. I topped it off with a cup of expensive coffee and I felt like a queen. Nice breakfast for a single working girl. I also never used the programed "Comp Defrost" feature until recently. It was the first time I had a prayer of defrosting meat in the microwave that didn't half cook and tasted like rubber. I do check it often enough and make sure the meat is "pulled apart" as the little LED window suggests, so it defrosts evenly. I can't sing enough praises for this little gem of an appliance. I do think the microwave feature is a tiny bit slower than a regular microwave, but for me it's not very noticeable. The only inconvenience I've had with this appliance at all is some of the programmed options (grill, bake, defrost, etc.) don't compute if your serving is too small or insufficient weight. I merely pump up the quantity or weight and take it out sooner. Works all the time. This house I now live in has a microwave above the stove and I use it to store my bills and other random paperwork! Oh, forgot to mention, I just baked my first batch of cookies last week. Holy cow... no burnt edges or unevenly baked ones! I made a regular batch of peanut butter cookies and only made enough cookies (1-1/2 dozen) that would fit right on the rotating plate that's in the unit - no cookie sheet. The rest of the dough went into the fridge for another day. Experimenting with the timing for cookies is my next challenge because, since the edges don't get real brown like in a conventional oven, the overbaked cookies can become extra crunchy (not burnt) instead of moist. This is by far my most utilized appliance and I'll never go without it. I hardly use my stove anymore. I just had to share this after my incredible meal this morning!

5.0 out of 5 stars A BEAST!!!!, December 26, 2010
seultie (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
If the Autobots found some cave paintings of their ancestors, they would find a picture of the Sharp Grill 2.

We've had this model for over three years. It was meant to replace a microwave I set a large fire in and also was meant as a way to avoid cleaning a nasty conventional oven the previous homeowners left for us.

The Sharp Grill 2 is a beast! I can throw a five pound pork roast at it and the roast will come out perfect in 45 min. "Roast 375°" has become my best friend. I put breakfast sausage links (a whole pack straight from the freezer in 12-20 min.), chicken (cut-up), country style ribs, chuck/pork roasts, etc. in my oval casserole baking dish with a tight fitting glass cover... set it... and forget it. Just amazing. Baked potatoes under 15 minutes? No problem. Pizza? Yes. Defrost a mountain of ground beef? Easy-peasy. Do you have to read the manual? Of course! But that's because this beautiful little machine packs so many functions!

With two kids under three, more often than not I'll forget to take meats out of the freezer to defrost. I throw frozen meat right in the casserole dish, lather with bbq sauce or soy/garlic powder/black pepper, "Roast 375° 45min.", and dinner's ready to go. If you leave the door closed when the oven beeps, the meats will keep warm for up to a good half hour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for most cooking needs!, November 14, 2006
Amazon Customer (Chillicothe, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I have to admit that I love this appliance. I'm cooking things I ordinarily wouldn't, because I'd have to heat up the oven. Not having a large family to feed, I don't make huge meals. It's perfect for a couple of steaks, baked potato, pizza, you name it. I'm particularly pleased with the speed of the cooking element and the timing accuracy of the preprogrammed controls. Did I say that I love this machine? I recently had a friend and her children come over and I popped out individual pizza's (2 at a time)for everyone at about 12 minutes each. Everyone was thrilled! The kids enjoyed watching. The microwave portion is not as powerful as my other microwave, but now, I only use the other for fast popcorn, or warming coffee. Just be careful that you change your cooking utilsels to suit whatever heating method you are using. The grill can't be in with the microwave on and the microwave dishes may melt under the heating element. I highly recommend this appliance and when I start my restaurant, am planning to get more.

5.0 out of 5 stars marvelous microwave!!, November 22, 2006
I did not think I would ever find a convection microwave that would work as well as the sharp microwave does and at such a good price !! I just got it today and am thrilled to own it. It puts my old microwave to shame the way it operates. My old one could not hold a candle to the Sharp and I definitely mean it is sharp all the way!! I just did not realize I would be able to ever afford a convection microwave until the Sharp came along. If you are looking for an above average microwave then this is the one for you, look no further. I advise everyone to buy it, I am glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT !!!!, December 13, 2006
Love this product. I threw away my toaster oven and microwave.

Not needed with this. It does both ! And works spectacularly !

1 fault if any though. Popcorn takes a little longer than my old microwave. But it still makes it great in 4 1/2 mins.

Roasting is a dream. Making cookies ! They come PERFECT every time !

Like I said. GREAT PRODUCT. GET IT !

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Multifunction MIcrowave, December 3, 2007
P. Foldi (Sudbury, MA USA) - See all my reviews
The Sharp R-820JS is a great unti over all. It does what the marketing words say it does and it does most of it very well. The controls are easy to learn and make sense once you've read the book. Overall quality is very good with an easy to clean stainless steel interior.
As with any appliance, you'll have the adjust the times a bit to suite your cooking preferences. Being a rather serious cook, I found the unit a great helper to preparing meals, reasonable at roasting/baking and very good at reheating (not overheating the food and destroying it's texture). Steaks grill reasonably well (it's not a grill) and roasted meats do cook faster and brown using the microwave/convection combination. Even the pizza setting works well giving you a real crust.
The only downsides are that it's very deep (almost the whole counter), a bit noisy (fan is on all the time) and not too stylish. The exterior is NOT stainless. However, it's almost as good as our friends' Thermador and Dacor units at less than a third of the price!

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 year 6 months and our 2nd Sharp Convection Microwave Dies, December 25, 2009
Gary McCray (Fort Bragg, CA United States) - See all my reviews
We bought a Sharp Convection Microwave several years ago and one of its flimsy plastic door latches broke. We found out the warranty didn't cover it (cosmetic item) and it would cost almost as much as a new one to fix it. We bought a shop manual for $35.00 and a new latch which we received nine months later from Sharp for $21.00 and installed it ourselves. It worked another 3 months then the turntable mechanism self incinerated causing final death of now out of warranty oven.

You'd think we would have learned, but we needed a new small microwave and the convection feature was really handy for us so we got one of these new small ones. It lasted one year and six months before a loud internal arcing sound signaled it's terminal death.

We have a couple lovely Panasonic microwaves that work perfectly year after year.

The positive reviews for this oven reflect a very short term satisfaction. Reviewed after owning them a while would not yeild a satisfactory experience.

The Sharp convection microwaves are total junk and should not be allowed to be sold.

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

Sharp R-820JS 0.9-Cubic Foot Grill 2 Convection Microwave, Silver
$296.27
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.