Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Color: Stainless|Change

on March 19, 2005
Wow, after reading the other reviews I had to throw my 2 cents in. It's big all right but that's the only point I have in agreement with the other reviewers.

I've had the R-930CS for almost a year. It really lives up to what Sharp says it does. It bakes, broils and microwaves -- all well! I use it to cook meat and it's done a great job on steaks, fresh sausage and chicken.

It also has a nifty feature called Sensor Cook, which is intelligent microwaving. It works for a number of foods including vegetables, frozen entrees and hot dogs. I use it for hot dogs, actually frozen hot dogs. I had no idea how long to cook a frozen hot dog. Not a problem. Slap a couple on a plate, hit Sensor Cook - Hot Dog and the oven does the rest. They come out perfect.

Would I get this oven if I just needed a microwave? Of course not. ( I'm not even sure what you use a 1.5 cubic foot microwave for.) But if you need a microwave and a regular oven all in a countertop package, the R-930CS is great.

The cleanup of this oven is easy too. None of the horror stories from the early generation microwave convection combos. This one is stainless steel on the inside. No protruding parts. It (so far) cleans up with a damp paper towels or sometimes with a bit of dishwashing liquid.
22 comments|247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2004
I have been using this product for 2 years. The cooking results are good and food preparation is speedy. However the turntable motor is of very poor quality (weak plastic gears) so make sure to stay even below the listed food weight limit. I had to replace the motor in my oven (52 bucks if you find the part and do it yourself, otherwise about 140). Also the door and some other parts are not aligned properly. One other review I found on the Net had the same complains about this product quality, in particular the turntable motor was faulty and had to be replaced as well.
55 comments|149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2005
I was hesitant to purchase this unit after seeing the less than stellar reviews posted here, but I decided to give it a try anyway. So far, it does everything that it is advertised as being able to do. I made a devil's food bundt cake and it came out bakery moist, not dried out as I usually get from my regular electric oven. The control panel is intuitive and it has many useful features. The unit is larger and heavier than I expected, but it does have a fairly impressive interior volume. I like the high and low interior racks which allows you to bake two 9" cakes pans simultaneously. I checked the interior temperature of the oven with a professional grade oven thermometer, and it was within a few degrees of the stated temperature. Overall, this seems like a versatile and useful appliance. I hope that reliability is not an issue. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
33 comments|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2005
This is the second Sharp microwave convection oven I've owned. My first one lasted for 15 years!!! When that one finally died in September, I had to have another just like it. Yeah, Amazon had it! I've now had this unit since early October and I've had no problems at all.

Sharp has improved this model since I bought my first one in 1989. It now prompts you as to the next button to push for programming the "sensor" cooking, has a separate button to use as a kitchen timer, allows you to preheat the convection oven at one temperature and then set the actual baking temperature at a different temperature, and has a higher wattage (than my old one).

The one thing I most like about the convection cooking of this unit is how evenly it bakes everything...and all my baking products (cookies, pies, etc.) seem to finish cooking at least 5 minutes sooner than the suggested cooking length.

In reading the other reviews for this item, I certainly have NOT had the same experience. I bought this item directly through Amazon as a NEW item, not through the "new & used" option.

I believe you will be very happy if you decide to purchase this product.
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2006
This was the best and largest unit we could use in the available space. I wanted a convection microwave regardless of cost or features. This unit seemed perfect on paper and although several reviewers were not complimentary I must say this is the best microwave we have ever owned. The unit arived on time, well packed and was easy to handle since I am 6'-2" and have no trouble with heavy stuff. It should be a two man job if you have the help. The unit is very easy to clean, heats, cooks, and does the wifes popcorn perfectly. She even tried some new recipes and they turned out great.
I would reccomend this unit and have had nothing but good comments on it so far.

Update: February 2, 2008
So far everything is working great, no issues to report. The only minor problem was that the door open switch would not consistently release the door fully, a little WD-40 sprayed into the latch mechanism and it is working fine now.
on December 31, 2007
I put my Sharp R-930CS oven in service when it arrived 9 February 2006. At the time of this writing I've had it for a year and ten months. I read "A Customer's" review when I purchased mine, but I was hoping perhaps Sharp had enough warranty returns on the door and the turntable motor that they had improved these by that time. I've been very happy with mine up until this month when the door slumped so that you can't get it open without prying the edge of the door with your fingers. I cooked a small turkey in it at the holidays last year, but this year I had a nine pound ham in it and the turntable motor is clicking. I had to watch it and rebalance the ham to keep it going. I suspect most people who buy this oven will have the same experience sooner or later.

I contacted Sharp twice via their customer service web page. It says, "click here to send an email to customer service." You fill in the model number and serial number and they never respond. I've checked my bulk mail the second time to be sure. It's been two weeks since the last time. Anyway it is ten months out of warranty. I figure with the door not working I could maybe get a replacement door, as the door is part of the chassis. Usually you would expect that you could still get the door open even after it's been in the junkyard. A bit of an unusual problem, as it doesn't matter how well everything else works if you can't easily get the door open.

I took the door apart and put a cabinet handle on the outside so that I can get the door opened. The problem is the door hinge pins are pressed in - so to be soft enough to be pressed into the door hinge (which is spot welded to the door frame) they are too soft to hold the door without wearing. I drilled out the top hinge pin and epoxied in a piece of a bolt for a hinge pin.

I hate to throw it away already. I would expect something like this to last for five to ten years. I had mounted the R-930CS into my cabinetry, but I found the Panasonic NN-C994S is very close to the same size. It is about an inch narrower and a fraction of an inch taller. I'm sold on the idea of having a combination oven for light duty, but the R-930CS is a bit too light duty.

6/06/2009 Update: Three years and four months on, the turntable no longer works. Sharp Carousel is their trademark for heaven's sake. This type of oven relies on the carousel to cook evenly. Won't even pop microwave popcorn anymore. The ratings tricked me. I hope they haven't tricked you. I am currently shopping for the best buy on the Panasonic.

2/07/2010 Update: I've had the Panasonic NN-C994S for six months now. And I spent less for it than I did the Sharp. Some deals are out there. As far as I am concerned it is head and shoulders above the Sharp. Instead of a touch pad, it has two dials to set the time, temperature and weight. When you choose a function, a green light blinks around the dial you are supposed to turn. If you turn it slowly it goes up in small increments, fast and it goes up in big increments. I got used to it very quickly and find it easier to use than the standard touch pad.

I think the Sensor Reheat function works better on the Panasonic than on the Sharp. The Sharp always made things too hot to be eaten right away, which is what I want when I reheat food. The Panasonic reheats things just right for me--could be a personal preference. Could be the "inverter" technology. Unlike all other microwave ovens, instead of cycling on and off to heat food more slowly, the Panasonic can use power incrementally. You don't hear than on/off noise either.
on March 8, 2007
I do not have a "regular oven" in my kitchen. When I built my home in 1985, I chose the Sharp Carousel convection oven rather than have a conventional oven. In 27 years this is the third one I have had. It has been a great product and still is.
on May 28, 2006
One week before our warranty expired, the microwave stopped working. The turn table stopped moving and it ceased to heat. Sharp gave us the address of a repair shop, an hour drive away, to take it to.

So, we did. They kept it for a week and said it was the magnetron. After we got it back, it worked for a little while. Luckily, the place we had it fixed at warranted their work, and since it was the SAME problem, they "fixed" it again, free of charge. But they took an entire month! (Luckily we had my little standby microwave... a GE from 1989, which still works without any problems!)

Now after two times in the shop, the microwave is very temperamental. If you use the convection part, it stops working, period. It is impossible to use the convection part of the oven now without it stopping. (So, what's the point in having a combo?) If you wait awhile and use the microwave part only, it will work again.

When the convection function did work, though, it was difficult to learn to use. I did alright for the most part, but my grandmother had a hard time learning what was the best setting for cakes and so forth. I would say if you have someone in your family that has a hard time setting a VCR, they might have difficulty with the more advanced mechanisms of this convection-microwave.

None of us were able to make a decent cake in it, to be sure. And we are excellent bakers, normally. TV dinners, pot-pies, french fries, all cooked well with convection. But, cookies did not do well.

As a straight microwave, it does alright. It is plenty powerful, heating a cup of water for tea in one minute. I love the sensor-reheat function. But, a decent microwave doesn't cost nearly as much as this convection-microwave and works at least as well.

I would not buy this convection microwave again, if I could do it over.

It is true that it is very heavy, but that is to be expected.

Edit, December, 2006....

After breaking again, they sent us a new, "updated" model. The updated model shocks us with a steady current when we touch it while it is running. Now, the turn-table does not turn.

We are too weak to continue carrying it to the repair shop. Sharp doesn't want to refund our money. I don't know why, it would be cheaper than all these repairs they are having to pay for.

I was shocked to read some of the positive reviews. I'm not sure if they've had theirs very long, though. If sharp did make this particular model 19 years ago and there are some that still work, the manufacturer has certainly lost their touch. All the repairmen who have worked on ours said that sharp uses cheap, plastic parts and that is why they keep breaking.
on August 14, 2005
Based on a couple of weeks use, I am very pleased with this oven! It does everything I wanted it to do and I'm learning to do more all the time. Directions were a little overwhelming at first but they're clear and after trying a couple of procedures, I found the whole process more intuitive than it first looked. Of course, I have no idea about longevity yet, but it seems to be sturdily built.

One word of caution: measure carefully before ordering. I made the mistake of just paying attention to width. The height and depth were also considerably bigger than old unit and it FILLED my countertop. I ended up buying a cart for it but found a great one that fit perfectly.
VINE VOICEon January 20, 2005
We bought this unit about a month ago to replace a microwave, small electric oven, and George Foreman grill (we'd used the latter so much we had completely worn the teflon finish off the grill plates) due to the size of our kitche. Unfortunately we got the floor model which had the cookbook swiped from it and Sharp wants $22 for the 48 page cookbook, so we are using the manual and cooking by guess and by golly. We have broiled both steaks and pork chops in the oven and they come out wonderfully in about 15 minutes; even pork loin chops with the fat taken off come out moist and juicy. The combo-bake feature which combines microwave with convection works great; chicken bakes in half the time but tastes just as if it has been roasted in an oven for the full time. Microwave-wise, it takes a few more seconds to warm up things than with our 1.3 cubic foot 1000-watt old unit, but it's not much of a bother. I love the "minute plus" feature.