5.0 out of 5 stars This alarm will wake the dead
Published 23 months ago by Sandi

2.0 out of 5 stars Very loud ticking sound
Although this clock has a good classical looking, it's detail is rather rogh and the ticking sound is terribly loud. This sound irritates me even at the day time. You can hardly sleep if this clock is settled on your bedside.
Published on October 17, 2011 by Punka

5.0 out of 5 stars This alarm will wake the dead, November 15, 2012
This review is from: Sharp SPC800 Quartz Analog Twin Bell Alarm Clock (Silver) (Electronics)
If you have trouble waking up...if you have a child with trouble waking up...if you just want to wake up your neighbors for a few laughs -- Buy this clock. It's cheap, and I swear to God the thing will wake the dead. I have issues waking up because of my meds, and I'm capable of dismantling a phone while asleep to stop the beeping, throwing an alarm across the room, snoozing for two hours, etc. My poor fiance finally told me that one super loud alarm would be better than two hours of alarms every few minutes, while I manage to stay in bed.

I set this thing for 5am, and I swear, I was up and trying to make it stop within 30 seconds, afraid it would wake the entire house. Plus, you can't hit it or push a button to make it stop, you have to find a tiny little black switch on the back.

The only drawback is that you since it's a traditional manual alarm clock, you have to remember to set it each night, so I now have a reminder alarm on my phone so I can remember to set my alarm.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine little backup clock, albeit noisy, September 28, 2011
This appears to be a totally decent old-fashioned alarm clock. I've had it as an occasional-use backup for the last six or seven weeks.

Some characteristics:

* The single alarm is loud. Damn loud. Not to fire-alarm levels, but I wouldn't expect a sleeping partner to ignore it.
* The alarm is set by a twist dial on the back. There are two dials; the other one sets the time. You have to be careful which you grab.
* There's no snooze capacity here. The alarm is either activated or not, as set by a small switch on the back.
* It ticks audibly. I sleep with earplugs so I don't care. If your sheep can't stand a fixed rhythm, you won't like this.
* There's a small button on the back to activate a side light. The face is otherwise invisible in the dark.
* It appears to hold time. The first few days I used it, it seemed to lose time, but it's been steady for the last month.
* It really is a pretty clock, especially for the $8 WM wanted for it.

The only question mark for me is the battery wear rate. This clock uses a single AA rather than a proper AC adapter. I've erred on the side of caution with a 1.5V Alkaline rather than the usual 1.2V Eneloop.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this clock, February 5, 2012
I've never written a review before, but when I saw this clock on Amazon, I had to.

I bought this exact same clock about 3 years ago, and I still have mine. I lost the cover to the battery compartment about a year ago, but other than that, it still works as great as it ever did, and I'm really rough on my alarm clocks! The best thing about the clock is how loud the alarm is, no other alarm clock that I've tried could wake me up.

I highly recommend this clock!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent "Loud" Alarm Clock, August 27, 2012
I have a problem of turning off an alarm clock while still asleep, and then over-sleeping and being late for work. I put this alarm clock on my dresser, 7 feet from my bed. It is loud enough for me to hear from the dresser; and I get out of bed to turn it off. I then don't have to worry about falling back asleep - although I'm not happy. But it is loud, and it is helpful to those who don't hear other alarm clocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Ben, alarm clock, September 22, 2012
I received this item on scheduled and I am so happy with it. It is battery operated and easy to set and it still works when the power goes out. It is also a very sturdy clock. Because of the way it is designed it is fairly easy for it to get knocked over, and it has been, and I have to say I think it bounces. No scratches, no broken parts, it is really amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, September 8, 2012
For the price the alarm clock is amazing. I tend to sleep through most alarms, but this one woke me up immediately. The ringer is loud and distinct. If you can't fall asleep with background noises then this might not be your best choice, the ticking is fairly loud. Nevertheless I am happy with this alarm clock. The back-light button is a nice feature and the clock is easy to use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very loud ticking sound, October 17, 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect alarm clock, July 2, 2012
I love this thing, its retro and it works flawlessly.

the only reason why it doesn't get a 5 star review is because it doesn't have snooze.....and it didn't come with the 1 double a battery it needs to work. however those are miner problems and i could not be happier with this since I used to live in constant paranoia that my Cell phone's alarm will one day not work......

3.0 out of 5 stars L-O-U-D-!, November 8, 2013
My 11-year-old son asked me to buy him a twin bell alarm clock because he did not like his clock/radio alarm. I came across this one on Amazon and showed it to him. He asked me to order it. I told him that the reviews said it was very loud. He said to buy it, so I ordered it. Unfortunately, he does not like it ... it is too loud for him. (Apparently, he does not like to be scared awake!) The clock was fairly inexpensive and has several nice features: it runs on a battery so it doesn't need winding; has an on/off switch; glows in the dark; and even has a button for backlight. If you want something loud to wake you up, this will definitely do the job (and then some), but it is probably too loud for most people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, inexpensive alarm. It works., May 11, 2013
I have a problem with insomnia, and I just got a new clock radio, which, unfortunately, has a very soft alarm. So, I bought two aggressive looking twin bell alarm clocks, This one, and a HITO(tm) 4" Silent Quartz Analog Twin Bell Alarm Clock with Nightlight and Loud Alarm . I have used both, side by side, and they both work like a charm, LOUDLY. IN case you didn't notice, both run on a single AA battery, not supplied, which is great because winding up a clock is the last thing you want to do when you go to bed.

Both are made in China, and they have similar, but not identical layouts in the back, suggesting two different manufacturers and works. The HITO has has a neat red ribbon to help you retrieve the battery from its niche. That and the color are virtually the only differences. Both have lights, but they are of little value unless it is in the dead of night, with no other lights. Any ambient light washes it out.

Both are easy to set, and the setting knob on both time and alarm position go in either direction (not necessarily true in a manual, wind-up clock.)

One thing which suggests this clock over the HITO is that if you truly want a white face, get this clock. I selected a white face with the HITO order, and got the black face.

Sharp SPC800 Quartz Analog Twin Bell Alarm Clock (Silver)
$29.99 $7.88
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.