Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on November 15, 2012
If you have trouble waking up...if you have a child with trouble waking up...if you just want to wake up your neighbors for a few laughs -- Buy this clock. It's cheap, and I swear to God the thing will wake the dead. I have issues waking up because of my meds, and I'm capable of dismantling a phone while asleep to stop the beeping, throwing an alarm across the room, snoozing for two hours, etc. My poor fiance finally told me that one super loud alarm would be better than two hours of alarms every few minutes, while I manage to stay in bed.

I set this thing for 5am, and I swear, I was up and trying to make it stop within 30 seconds, afraid it would wake the entire house. Plus, you can't hit it or push a button to make it stop, you have to find a tiny little black switch on the back.

The only drawback is that you since it's a traditional manual alarm clock, you have to remember to set it each night, so I now have a reminder alarm on my phone so I can remember to set my alarm.
1212 comments| 376 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 28, 2011
This appears to be a totally decent old-fashioned alarm clock. I've had it as an occasional-use backup for the last six or seven weeks.

Some characteristics:

* The single alarm is loud. Damn loud. Not to fire-alarm levels, but I wouldn't expect a sleeping partner to ignore it.
* The alarm is set by a twist dial on the back. There are two dials; the other one sets the time. You have to be careful which you grab.
* There's no snooze capacity here. The alarm is either activated or not, as set by a small switch on the back.
* It ticks audibly. I sleep with earplugs so I don't care. If your sheep can't stand a fixed rhythm, you won't like this.
* There's a small button on the back to activate a side light. The face is otherwise invisible in the dark.
* It appears to hold time. The first few days I used it, it seemed to lose time, but it's been steady for the last month.
* It really is a pretty clock, especially for the $8 WM wanted for it.

The only question mark for me is the battery wear rate. This clock uses a single AA rather than a proper AC adapter. I've erred on the side of caution with a 1.5V Alkaline rather than the usual 1.2V Eneloop.
66 comments| 225 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2012
I've never written a review before, but when I saw this clock on Amazon, I had to.

I bought this exact same clock about 3 years ago, and I still have mine. I lost the cover to the battery compartment about a year ago, but other than that, it still works as great as it ever did, and I'm really rough on my alarm clocks! The best thing about the clock is how loud the alarm is, no other alarm clock that I've tried could wake me up.

I highly recommend this clock!
11 comment| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2014
I bought a total of 5 of these, YES 5 OF THEM, over the past year because THEY WILL BREAK WITHIN 2 MONTHS GUARANTEED!! The only reason I keep buying it is because I'm a heavy sleeper and it's the only alarm clock I've seen loud enough to wake me up in the morning. The bell stopped working on the first 3, then the hands on the clock stopped working on the last two. I like that's it's loud, however, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS STOPPED WORKING WITHIN 2 MONTHS!!
review image
44 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2012
I have a problem of turning off an alarm clock while still asleep, and then over-sleeping and being late for work. I put this alarm clock on my dresser, 7 feet from my bed. It is loud enough for me to hear from the dresser; and I get out of bed to turn it off. I then don't have to worry about falling back asleep - although I'm not happy. But it is loud, and it is helpful to those who don't hear other alarm clocks.
on September 8, 2012
For the price the alarm clock is amazing. I tend to sleep through most alarms, but this one woke me up immediately. The ringer is loud and distinct. If you can't fall asleep with background noises then this might not be your best choice, the ticking is fairly loud. Nevertheless I am happy with this alarm clock. The back-light button is a nice feature and the clock is easy to use.
on September 22, 2012
I received this item on scheduled and I am so happy with it. It is battery operated and easy to set and it still works when the power goes out. It is also a very sturdy clock. Because of the way it is designed it is fairly easy for it to get knocked over, and it has been, and I have to say I think it bounces. No scratches, no broken parts, it is really amazing.
on May 22, 2014
I have a complicated relationship with this alarm clock. The first time I used it, it's alarm was so shrill and loud I woke up with my heart pounding, grappling in the dark to try to silence this hell demon as it rang loud enough to rouse the devil himself. It's so loud that my neighbors politely asked me to mind the clock in the early mornings.

It's not just the alarm though. If that was it, I'd give this thing 5 stars because that's what you want out of an alarm clock, especially if you have trouble waking up. Everything about this clock is loud. The ticking was driving me insane, to the degree that during the day I'd stuff it in the night stand or take out the batteries.

Speaking of removing the batteries, unless you have a hook for a hand, I don't know how mere mortals can remove the battery clasp from the back of this thing. I clawed at it until my fingers were raw and hurting, tried a screwdriver, pen, you name it. Almost broke the entire clock trying to change the battery. It's really not designed well.

On top of all of that terribleness, you have to set the alarm manually every night. Seems to defeat the purpose.

Eventually I had to just get rid of the damn thing. Despite it's super cheap price and it's ability to strike the fear of death into any sleeping person, I have removed the batteries and place mine in the "goodwill" box. Good riddance
88 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 8, 2013
My 11-year-old son asked me to buy him a twin bell alarm clock because he did not like his clock/radio alarm. I came across this one on Amazon and showed it to him. He asked me to order it. I told him that the reviews said it was very loud. He said to buy it, so I ordered it. Unfortunately, he does not like it ... it is too loud for him. (Apparently, he does not like to be scared awake!) The clock was fairly inexpensive and has several nice features: it runs on a battery so it doesn't need winding; has an on/off switch; glows in the dark; and even has a button for backlight. If you want something loud to wake you up, this will definitely do the job (and then some), but it is probably too loud for most people.
on March 14, 2015
Someone put a lot of thought into the packaging of this clock. It was screwed into a solid card board box. You need a small phillips screwdriver to get it out. (see photo 1) Why was this a good thing? The box was crushed on the top, but because it was locked in place at the center of the box, there was absolutely no damage done to the back top ringer assembly, rear control knobs or the front glass. (see photo 2) It is a really beautiful metal clock (see photo 3) and has a great night light (see photo 4). The only thing that makes it different from the old fashion version is the plastic backing and knobs. (see photo 5) The hammer rings the bells, but it is not as loud or well built as a real old fashioned, all solid steel clock, with a wind up key. Why do people fix things that are not broken? I'd pay more if it were? But it was under $8.00! So I think it is a great deal for a portable alarm clock. Recommended.
review image review image review image review image review image