4.0 out of 5 stars Nice inexpensive weather station.
Published on November 9, 2011 by terraman

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but it's not the greatist!
From the review that says it's very poor... I can't really argue with that, but let me clarify a few things! I bought this unit as Sam's Club for $39.99 like the other reviewer did. I figured it'd be cheap, and I was right, but I also figured it would meet my simplistic needs.

Published on December 20, 2010 by B. D. McGrew

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but it's not the greatist!, December 20, 2010
This review is from: Sharp Weather Station Clock Atomic Wireless SPC502A (Lawn & Patio)

Out of the box, the setup wasn't too convoluted at all. Install batteries, select the channel on the outdoor transmitter and set the indoor receiver to the same channel. It comes with a table stand and wall mount on both the indoor and outdoor pieces. The outdoor piece is detachable from the the wall mount, which makes it much easier to hang. The indoor receiver is not detachable from the wall mount but in the event of mounting it on the wall, the table stand it detachable.

The other review was pretty accurate in saying it's hard to read. It is. It's full on LCD and if you're looking directly at the display from a ninety degree angle, it's almost impossible to read anything other than the clock and the moon cycle. These two items dominate the display, which is kind of silly for a weather station if you ask me. There is a Snooze/Light button on the top of the unit which activates the light for five seconds. When the light is on, it is almost impossible to read any part of the display at a ninety degree angle. If you're looking down at a forty-five degree angle from the top-right side, the display is crystal clear. A LCD design flaw, a big one!

The atomic clock dominates the display followed by the moon cycles, the alarm and the 12 and 24 hour forecast. The lower right corner is dominated by the barometric pressure history chart and could have been assigned to something much more useful.

The lower left corner is the outdoor/indoor temperature and the outdoor/indoor humidity displayed around a thermometer. I guess it looks alright but it should have been quite a bit bigger seeing as how this is a weather station, not an atomic clock with weather capabilities!

I find the temperature to be a couple degrees off from other instruments I have. It seems to be about 2 to 2.5 degrees higher than I'm measuring with everything else. I can not speak for the humidity or the barometric pressure, as I do not have another other measurement instruments.

The outdoor transmitter seems to have a NWS receiver built-in because the unit is an atomic clock (which, surprisingly, seems accurate within less than a second) and there is a 12 hour and a 24 hour weather forecast on the display. When you first power up the unit, it will take 15 to 20 minutes to sync up with the transmitter and give you an accurate time, temperature and humidity reading. The barometer seemed to come online in a minute or so.

Bottom line...

If you're looking for a cheap device to satisfy your curiosity that is easy to setup and use, and you won't be poking around with it too much, then this is probably the unit for you. If you're looking for something more robust, or with some kind of computer/GPI interface, then this isn't what you want.

As far as the overall construction goes... Well, it's made in China! Or made in a copy of China! I haven't dropped the unit, but have the feeling that if it ever come in contact with the ground, it would not survive. It's pretty cheap plastic and I don't really expect it to live more than a couple of years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even close...., January 14, 2013
I sit here the day after installation and see that though it is 15 degrees outside -- the Sharp Weather Station says it is 31 degrees. Folks -- my simplistic need is first and foremost -- "Outdoor Temp" and being able to "see it". The Sharp Weather Station fails on these most basic requirements. The weather station is almost impossible to read unless you plug it in with the AC power (included) and turn on the backlight and make sure that you are looking "straight on". Did you ever wonder, like with this Sharp, why the Time is the most predominate window? REALLY? I have never purchased a weather station to know what time it is. What is that about? Anyway -- it has just gone up to 33 degrees -- about 20 degrees to high. GOING BACK TO SAM'S CLUB.

1.0 out of 5 stars Trash, June 17, 2011
I purchased this unit on a Saturday. I set it up and the thermometer from the outside disagreed with the inside. Then the thermometer stopped working completely. Called their customer service on Monday and a recorded message said they would call back (did not happen). Waited till Wednesday and called again,same result. Tried again on Friday (same).
They apparently do not care about customer service and giving the clients good service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice inexpensive weather station., November 9, 2011
Most of the functions on the Sharp Atomic Wireless Weather Station (SPC502A) seem to work okay: time, date, phase of the moon, indoor temperature, indoor humidity (though I am not sure how accurate this is), barometric pressure, pressure tendency, alarm clock, 12-hour and 24-hour forecast, etc. At first a concern, the external sensor initially read more than 3.5 degrees F. higher and 5% humidity lower than the internal temperature and humidity on the receiver, even when the sensor and the receiver were sitting right next to each other on a table. Based upon other instruments I have i appeared that the receiver temperature was more accurate than the sensor temperature. But in less than an hour the external sensor readings were only slight higher (0.5 degrees F and 1% humidity) than the receiver readings for temperature and humidity. So don't panic if the external sensor initially starts to read significantly higher than it should-- give it some time. Once the temperature and humidity readings on the indoor receiver and on the external sensor are nearly the same, it is time to put your sensor outside.

One complaint is that though the time is displayed in large numbers, the other readings are very small and you have to be very close to the unit to read things like temperature, humidity, pressure, etc.

Still, overall, this unit seems to be pretty nice for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so Sharp weather stationGreat concept, March 12, 2011
Great concept, easy to set up, but...
Problem with accuracy. I set the outdoor transmitter next to the indoor receiver to ensure they could talk to each other and they displayed temperatures that were 4 degrees different.

I have had great difficulty getting the atomic clock to "hook up" with the satillite. It only connects in a location where I can't see the unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the Price, January 13, 2011
Like the other reviewers, we purchased this at Sam's.

Overall, I like it because it shows everything I want it to show--inside/outside temp., humidity, moon cycles, forecast, etc. It is definitely better than the computer-connected one I bought and returned because it didn't work properly. This one isn't reliant on a computer, and I like that.

The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because it is very hard to read. There should be a way that one could brighten the screen permanently. As it is, you have a very short window of time in which the light will come on so you can read what's on the screen. That needs to be corrected.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, October 6, 2013
Don't waste your money on this junk. The outdoor transmitter quit after about a year and Sharp support is pathetic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Readability, Mostly Accurate, May 26, 2013
I mounted the base unit on the wall by the thermostat. It is impossible to read with backlight on. Every now and then it loses sync with the remote sensor, even with fresh batteries. I bought this at Sam's Club awhile ago. I am better off when I research reviews and pay attention to the critique of performance.
There are better units out there at comparable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great weather station, January 2, 2013
My younger son loves to keep up with the weather, and had asked for this for Christmas. He had put it outside at our house and when he left to go home, (another city) he accidentally left the outdoor sensor here, outside in the wheelbarrow. I mailed it to him, and he said he knew the mail had come because he could tell the temperature all of a sudden.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it a clock, or is it a weather station?, July 13, 2012
I've had this unit for a year now, and like it much better than the Oregon Scientific (OS) station it replaced. The OS station was forever losing contact with the outdoor sensor. This Sharp unit has no problem at all keeping contact. When the temperature is around 0º F outside, that's important. Without buying expensive testing equipment, the temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure all seem to be close enough to precise that I don't worry about it.

What I don't like about it is that Sharp seems confused about whether they were building a weather station or a clock. It's called a "Weather Station," but the clock is the only thing my old eyes can read from five feet away. It sits in my kitchen, where I have a clock on the microwave, a clock on the coffee maker, a clock on the stove, a clock on the radio, and - for old time's sake - an analog clock on the wall. I also wear a wristwatch. The last thing I need is another clock, and I'll bet I'm not alone in that.

I didn't buy it to tell time, I bought it find out the outside temperature and humidity. To read the temperature and humidity, I have to walk over to the unit, pick it up, and turn on the light.

Sharp would have an outstanding product here if they hadn't lost sight of what they were doing. Maybe some day they'll redesign this thing to be a Weather Station. If they do, I'll gladly replace this clock.

Rate and Discover Movies