5.0 out of 5 stars A well designed and quiet tie rack
I recently bought this unit to replace one from Brookstone that died after a couple of years. This one is proving superior in most every way, at least out of the box; let's hope it lasts a while.

Published on February 25, 2007 by Michigan Maven

1.0 out of 5 stars Careful - Not for Wire Shelving
Unfortunately, and contrary to the advertising, this unit does not mount properly to wire shelving. When the mounting is tightened the rack tilts upward at a severe angle. The hook and spacer system is similar to the previous Sharper Image models I have owned, but the top is curved and the spacers are not designed to compensate. Too bad, as the unit otherwise seems to...
Published on April 22, 2012 by SHM1776

5.0 out of 5 stars A well designed and quiet tie rack, February 25, 2007
This review is from: Sharper Image PowerTie Motorized Tie Rack (SI708GRY) (Kitchen)

Installation was quick and easy, and the unit is quite secure. It can mount on a round or oval bar or on a storage system. It's also significantly narrower than the Brookstone but with the same (or larger) capacity. The motor is *very* quiet; I hadn't given much thought to that feature before I bought it, but it's appreciated. The slide-out battery pack at the front of the unit is very convenient. Also, when removed, it becomes a not-very-bright flashlight -- I think it would be useful only to help you locate a brighter one. I'd prefer a little quicker rotation, but that's just a quibble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - just what I wanted, October 14, 2007
John A. Michl (Menomonee Falls, WI United States) - See all my reviews
I don't say this often but this is an outstanding product. I had a similar rack of an older design that would quickly burn through batteries. I noticed that I could by an electrical adapter for this one and thought I'd eventually save money on batteries. Well, after six months I'm still on my first set of batteries. I never bought the adapter.

This product is well made, very fast and very quiet. It has three buttons on the front. Press the right or left button once and the ties begin to spin around the unit see the one you want and press the middle button to stop. A small light shuts off automatically to conserve battery power.

If anything, it is a little too fast. I organized my ties by basic color so that I could simply stop it in the general area of the color I was looking for. This works well for me. Besides, if I miss the the first time around, it'll be back in a third of the time it would take my old rack.

Initially, the cost seemed high for a "tie rack". Now that I have it I'm glad I made the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The tie rack actually delivers what promises, May 7, 2007
I am totally satisfied with The Sharper Image Motorized Tie Rack, as it actually delivers what promises. The motor spins at an appropriate speed, so that you can see the ties and choose comfortably the one that best matches your outfit. I suggest to organize the ties by color range, as this will save you time and will make the device more useful. Once you made a decision on your outfit, you can pre-select the tie color and go faster to that "section" in the tie rack.

It works either with a power adapter or batteries (C-type). My suggestion is to use batteries instead of the adapter, because the latter makes you manage the cable inside the closet, which could be a pain in the neck and weaken the esthetic of the sophisticated and modern design of the rack.

The device fits almost every closet size and it's easy to assemble. Your closet space is optimized, because the rack is placed on the rod perpendicularly.

For those who use neck ties and truly value them, this is certainly a very good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tie Rack!, May 21, 2007
Darrell S. (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I made a mistake and ordered a different product the first time because it was cheaper. You get what you pay for. It quickly broke so I spent the extra money for the Sharper Image unit which is great! I also purchased the AC adaptor since I have an electrical outlet in the closet and didn't want to mess with batteries. The unit is well built, sharp looking and the ties zip along at a fast pace; almost too fast if that is possible. With the other unit, the tie went out of style before it made it around the entire rack. Well, I may be stretching a little about the old one but I love the Sharper Image rack. I obviously wish now that I would have purchased it originally and saved the cost of the one it quickly replaced. The light is not terribly bright but that's not really an issue with my closet. Very happy with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUCH better than older version, November 27, 2007
V. Robinson "KaySerRa" (McDonough, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This tie rack surpasses it's older version. A lot sturdier in design, with the added reinforced backend. Plus, the placement of where the batteries are installed is MUCH handier,(right in the front on the top). It's just a better built product than the one I purchased years ago from Sharper Image for my husband. He loved the automatic tie rack and sorely missed it when it eventually died. After much research on others, I obviously came back to Sharper Image's product. I'm VERY pleased with my decision.

Since my husband must wear a tie to work, he has A LOT of ties. This helps him keep them organized, plus makes it easier and faster for him to choose, by just a push of a button. Helps me, as he seems to put his ties away too! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharper Image PowerTie Motorized Tie Rack, November 25, 2007
Very satisfied. Works much better than a previous model (other brand) that I had before. Quiet, smooth, fast operation -- almost too fast, you've got to really be watching!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharper Image Power Tie Rack, October 23, 2007
I found this product to be very useful. I had another battery operated motorized tie rack that was nothing short of annoying because it "ate" batteries etc. So, I took the "large dollar plunge" and got a Cadillac instead of a Yugo and am very satisfied. I strongly suggest that anyone who buys a motorized tie rack buy this one or a comparable one with a electical adapter. You will be so much more satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power Tie Rack, October 10, 2007
After researching a number of motorized tie racks, I chose the Sharper Image one based upon other reviews. Glad I did...it is a great product & enhances our new home's master bedroom closet for my ties.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the rack everyone is looking for, September 23, 2012
This is the only motorized tie rack worth buying. It is expensive but it is solid and it works. I first purchased this directly from Sharper Image 15 years ago. In a move, the flexible tie holder (the most sensitive part) was damaged. I contacted SI for a new one. What they sent was 'Crap'. I sent it back. Since then I have looked at several in an attempt to replace what I had - or even to just find a belt to put on my old rack (whick still worked as well as it did 15 years ago).

I found this by pure luck in my search. Because SI has changed to a cheap model, this one no longer has a warranty. Not a problem - it works on every kind of bar and rack and is solidly built. I am buying a second one just in case I pull another stupid stunt and damage the one I have. Those two should last me until I die.

Beyond the solid construction (it is heavier than most I saw) it is more versatile than others and just plain works better:

*Holds as many ties and belts as any other rack out there
*Push one button to go right and another to go left. To stop-push the center button. Other machines require that you push the left or right button to move, but to stop you must push the other button only part way. Push it too far and it reverses. I get rushed in the morning and I'm doing something like buttoning my shirt while the ties pass by. When I see the tie I want, I would reach up quickly and push the other button. As you might guess, I would push too hard and my ties flew the other way. Then I quickly hit to button to move back and repeated this dance until I 'gently' touched the correct button at the right time. No problem with the SI machine. You want to stop - you hit 'Stop'.
*This fits on rods of all sizes and on metal racks. Most racks I saw did not fit on metal racks and had problems with some size rods.
*Does not damage the clothes rod. This was important to me. Most of the racks accomodate different size rods because they attach by screwing two bolts into your wood or metal rod. This is also why they will not work with metal clothes racks. This SI tie rack uses additional parts (I call them 'shims') to make the circumference smaller and then tightens itself down around the rod. Nothing drills into your clothes rod. It also comes with attachments to mount on the metal clothes racks that many people use.
*The mounting part is two pieces. Upper and lower parts that compress to fit tightly on the rod. Mounting is easy and does not require removing the clothes rod to slide the rack on as did some of the racks I looked at.
*The only negatives I can think of are the lack of a warranty and price. From my experience, if it works when you get it, it will work for years and years. That being said, I owned my last one for 15 years before I slammed the flexible tie belt and cracked it. Considering that this will work on almost any clothes rod or rack you will find in your future home, This is probably has the cheapest annual cost of any tie rack on the market.

My last comment: I wish Sharper Image would recognize their error and bring back this rack instead of trying to sell the cheap rack they replaced it with. This rack has thier name on it and has the quality they were known for.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!, May 8, 2012
Ok - this actual unit has been discontinued for quite awhile by the Sharper Image store - but you can still find it available here & elsewhere on the internet. Since it is discontinued - you pay a premium to get it now. I was shocked to walk through Menards a couple days after ordering this and finding another power tie rack (cheap unit) for sale for $14.00.

When mine arrived - it was easily installed. It held every tie I own - even the Christmas ones - whereas the other units out there would have been short by at least a dozen spots. As an attorney - I wear a tie every day to work - so I need a big selection!

The easily adjustable stabilizer bar made it easy to balance - and it hasn't moved a bit since installed.

Battery life has been great - so far - no need to replace after 2 months of use every day.

I highly recommend this item! Especially after reading all the negative reviews of the other items out there! those scared me away despite their significantly cheaper prices.

Sometimes - you do get what you pay for!

Sharper Image PowerTie Motorized Tie Rack (SI708GRY)
$389.80