5.0 out of 5 stars 21st Century Highlighter
Published on September 2, 2006 by Essay

2.0 out of 5 stars Handy But Dries Out Quickly
I really love the idea of retractable highlighters. Who wouldn't love the idea of not having to cap and re-cap your highlighters over and over again?

Published on November 12, 2009 by cblossoms

5.0 out of 5 stars 21st Century Highlighter, September 2, 2006
Essay "essayann" (Sunny Southern, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Okay, I feel kind of silly writing a review for a highlighter pen, but really, this is NOT your daddy's highlighter. How many times have you misplaced a highlighter's cap--or worse yet, pulled one out of your pen cup/pencil box/junk drawer only to find it missing the cap and all dried out? That will never happen with this pen. Finally they figured out how to make a retractable highlighter. And it works! The tip is wide enough to sweep across a line of text, and narrow enough to draw a fine underline. And with five different colors, what more could we ask for?

4.0 out of 5 stars trade-off is ink longevity for retractable convenience, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Sharpie Accent Retractable Assorted 5 Pack (Office Product)
I don't know about you, but when I highlight, I like to use different colors to color-code notes AND I could be anywhere -- sitting in a car waiting for a kid, sitting outside trying to catch some sunlight while I work, laying on the couch, or working at my desk. So I don't want to be worried about caps of various highlighters rolling around or falling down between my car seats.

Yes, it's true, these don't last as long as the fuller barreled highlighter with tops. But if you actually retract them when not actively highlighting, I find they last a good long time. Just don't expect to leave them exposed for a couple hours and get the use you would out the fatter capped version. For me, convenience of use outweighs longevity.

2.0 out of 5 stars Handy But Dries Out Quickly, November 12, 2009

Unfortunately, these highlighters have the life-span of about three days. If you're in a profession or graduate program that requires a lot of consistent highlighting, I wouldn't recommend these highlighters unless you have money to burn. Even an aggressive highlighting session of more than an hour can kill it quickly.

So for now, it's back to the regular highlighters for me!

P.S. The blue highlighter ink is a bit dark.

1.0 out of 5 stars Still leaks through paper, December 2, 2013
Darker colors are more like markers and not highlighters. Leaks through textbook glossy paper despite what's written in other reviews. Went through about 4-5 different brands before I tried this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for! (For once), January 27, 2011
The tricky thing with buying things online is that you can't see the product for yourself. It's amazing how so many things really are affected by this. Even as something as simple as highlighers. Let's face it, after a while it gets tiring spending money buying the same product over and over just to find the features and quality you're looking for. In this light, I wanted a good highlighter for school that was easy to access and didn't have the incovienance (ok I'm not the best speller) of a cap. I have some organization issues, and as a result I tend to loose things. It's also just easier in general to go *click*, write, *click*, put away.

Pros:

1. Click. No cap! Yea I know I already said that. But after using the product for reals (hehe), I can really say that this feature rocks!

2. Easily read-able. I can't say I've highlighted every surface known to man, but if you count photo copied things, computer printed, and books than it works GREAT. It's not super light such as a "baby blue" or pastel colors. Yet it's not overly bold as well. The company I work with has the regular "Sharpie Accent Highlighter" in the fat orignal version (cap and all), and there are too many times certain colors are much too dark to use to high light. I might as well not even bother. It's so disatisfied I might even buy this product again for work! Which is kind of sad.

3. Skinny. I love how skinny they are. Not super pen-like skinny, but not as fat as original ones which make MUCH easier to work with.

4. Clip to clip on things. Not necessarily needed but it totally works! A nice bonus. Easiy attaches to notebooks or folders. Even paper backs.

Cons:

1. Tip is also skinner. Some people have complained that they can't highlight wide enough. In all honesty, there is a big difference but I find I like this better. You can cover less area if you wish. There are lots of times I've tried to make normal highlighters a thinner line and it's more annoying to do. Also, once you get the hang of using them you can easier make the line wider but tilting it in the correct fashion. It still has a angled tip, after all.

2. Little bigger than I wanted. Or maybe I should say taller. They kind of make up for the skinny by making them taller. A good inch taller than regular high lighters. Still, it's totally worth it.

3. Price. It's a lot more than I'd like to spend on highlighters. (Especially since I can grab some from work) But for some things, quality over quantity (as my dad always says).

1.0 out of 5 stars Yellow died fast, April 19, 2013
As a grad student, I highlight articles multiple times a week. I was very excited about these retractable highlighters that allow me to "cap" my highlighter during use (compared to actual caps where I might just leave it uncapped the majority of the time). I actually thought this would increase its longevity, alas my yellow highlighter has just died- after one month of using it. My other colors seem to hold up okay (one slight negative though is that the darker colors are quite dark). I'm bummed. I really had high hopes b/c of the Sharpie brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had tried retractable highlighters sooner!, July 22, 2012
Kelly S (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I LOVE these highlighters. The highlighters are retractable, so no more losing the cap, writing on yourself/clothes/bedding and easy color changes. The ability to change colors quickly, without having a bunch of uncapped highlighters laying about, is wonderful.

The colors are great also, very bright and easy to read through. Another positive is that these inks don't bleed the page, even on fairly thin paper. Overall, these highlighters are a must have for anyone that does a lot of reading and would like to simplify.

As a law student I do a lot of reading, and even more highlighting! I need to be able to highlight with ease and be able to rotate colors quicky. These certainly get the job done and I wish I had tried these sooner! I will never go back to traditional highlighters again!

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good..., February 24, 2012
These are adequate highlighters. I quite like them. They do not contain an excess of ink, in fact they seem to run a little on the dry side though they are new. I have had to double pass on a phrase or two when the ink covered the words unevenly.

The set is attractive. The retraction mechanism, which also serves as an internal cap, is solid. They are longer than the average pen & constructed with heavy plastic, so they actually may be easier to use than expected for someone with tremor or grip issues. However, the plastic in several of the highlighters somehow managed to crack (without destroying the pens)after being jostled about in a computer bag with other, heavier objects. Likely, the pens will outlast the ink, which is ideal, even though it would surprise me if the ink lasted more than a year.

The colors are clean on the page. The highlighter tips have a chisled edge, which writes nearly as thin as an ink pen when used. The ink need not pass through even a thin page (such as those used in Bibles).

I would not recommend these to another. Nevertheless, I would purchase them as a gift for no occassion as they are particularly novel and convenient without caps.

IMhO they ARE worth the current price [~$5.45].

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharpie Accent Retractable, 5 years old, August 7, 2010
Rockfish "gg23" (TX United States) - See all my reviews
I bought 2 individual Sharpie Accent Retractables in an office supply store in Clinton, AR about 2005--pink & green. I carry them in my purse; I keep them in my desk; I use them regularly -- they seem as good as the first day I bought them. Love 'em. Can't figure why some dry out & some don't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highlighting in my Bible!, March 5, 2013
I enjoy using these sharpie highlighters for studying in my Bible. The tips are small so the line that they make is perfect for the smaller lines in my Bible.

Sharpie Accent Retractable Assorted 5 Pack