5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Identification, Easy Drawing
What I did not imagine I needed was another set of Sharpies. I was wrong.

Here's my take on these fabric markers:

PROS:

1. I'm a big fan of the brush tips on these markers. Used with a light touch, they will mark the fabric easily without a tremendous amount of bleed-through (unless you're marking a white t-shirt).

2. Colors...
Published on July 4, 2011 by Phyllis Staff

2.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! Short Life!!
Two Big Cons: 1) These markers are only available in packages with multiple colors. 2) They run out of ink VERY quickly. I was 1/4 of the way through my project when the color I needed ran out.

Other than that, I liked these markers. The color was very vibrant and did not bleed at all, making for very crisp lines.
Published on September 26, 2012 by Taliaferro family

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Identification, Easy Drawing, July 4, 2011
This review is from: Sharpie Stained by Sharpie Brush-Tip Fabric Marker, 8-Pack, Assorted Colors (1779005) (Home)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What I did not imagine I needed was another set of Sharpies. I was wrong.

Here's my take on these fabric markers:

PROS:

2. Colors are bright -- VERY BRIGHT -- so marking clothes for identification is a snap. No more black marker fading into the fabric.

3. The markers stay within in the designated space without bleeding outward. Thus, these markers are excellent for creating designs on clothing.

4. They're just plain fun to use.

CONS:

1. If all you're doing is marking clothes, you might do as well or even better with a fine line Sharpie.

2. Permanent markers are permanent (duh!), so you need to practice before putting Sharpie to fabric. Making a good design is not as easy on fabric as on paper, and making a mistake is forever!

OVERALL:

These fabric markers are fun to use with their brush tips. Just don't let the younger children loose with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unleash your creativity, August 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are quite a few things I like about these markers:

1. It is a medium with no learning curve. As someone who has worked with hot glass for over 10 years.... it is sure nice to have something you can pick up without worry, danger or the need for lessons to get basic technique down. These are a lot of fun to use, more so than I would have thought. I like the brush tip. The ink flow is somewhere between a pen and brush. Between the 2 you can get quite a variety of effects. A light tough gives you feathering, a little more pressure a solid line. You can vary the width and intensity depending on how you hold it and how hard you press.

2.. The colors are bright and water fast. I was a little worried at first and washed the first shirt I made inside out so that if it bled it would do so on the t-shirt and not other clothing. No bleedine (either as I drew or in the wash) no problem! I would not give these to a 5 year old... who knows how long it would take to get off skin (but the same can be said of any permanent marker).

3. The ink will take on a variety of surfaces. I'd planned to use these with sneakers and a canvas bag which is very plain/ dull. I tried them out first on some inexpensive blank t-shirts I got to work in (yard work, hot glass... where I do not want good clothing ruined). So, I figured since these were meant to be effectively disposable it was a good way to try out the markers before using them on more expensive, less easily replaced items. I liked the results so much and had so much fun decorating the shirts... they are no longer as disposable as they once were ;).

4. They can also be used for basic Id on clothing, lunch boxes.... things which tend to get lost at school. The colors make it a lot more fun!

Note: the "stained" in the title is an appropriate descriptor both because of the permanence and because of the transparency. What you get are colors much like stained glass. The transparency gives you nice bright colors, but (and this is my only issue... not complaint exactly) because the colors are transparent they do not show up as well on darker cloth. They worked well on white, light blue... but only the black & blue were very visible on a maroon shirt. Maybe (hoping) they will come out with some opaque colors (like the gel pens). That would open up a whole new range. It's a small limitation and one I would not have thought of had I not gone hog wild with this set of markers.

When you consider the cost of art media, or a designer shirt.... you get a lot for the money! You can not buy even a screened artist shirt for what these markers cost. For just over $10 you can have a one of a kind item! Less expensive and just and enduring as those calanders made with kid's art e.g. I am thinking of all kinds of ways these can be used. I may have to order another set (and if they come out with opaque colors, will get one for sure)

4.0 out of 5 stars A brand comparison: Sharpie is good but not best, August 29, 2014
I bought three brands of fabric markers: Crayola Fabric Markers, Stained by Sharpie, and TULIP 28976 Fine Writers Markers. This review is a comparison.

The TULIP were my favorite, hands down. They flowed just right, neither too dry nor too watery. The colors were vibrant. I will be ordering more.

The Sharpie markers have the advantage of not requiring heat-setting. Unlike most fabric markers, these don't call for ironing before washing, which saves a lot of time. However, they were also the driest of the three. They weren't dried out; but it took more strokes to fill in an area.

The Crayola markers were the wettest, so much so that I got bleeding between colors. This wateriness makes it easier to fill large solid areas, but you need to be careful to wait a few minutes for the color to dry before drawing with another color in an adjacent area.

2.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! Short Life!!, September 26, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 21, 2012
I was extremely excited about using this product for a project I was working on (putting a quote onto a throw pillow). However, I am extremely upset with the performance of the pen. There was not even enough paint in the marker to finish one quote containing 16 words. I would not buy this product unless you plan on using all of the colors for a very small project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work well, March 22, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used these markers to mark canvas tote bags -- prior to finding these, I used regular Sharpies. These actually stay on fabric after washing BETTER than regular Sharpies. I am very pleased!

3.0 out of 5 stars Regular Sharpies work Much Better!, September 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After Homeschooling for 20+ years we have tried every available method for painting or drawing on clothes. Even though these markers are specially designed for clothing they do not meet our expectations for quick, easy, no-fuss, results.

The tips are a major bummer. Actually they look a regular sharpie that we have used a hundred times already on clothing where the tip frazzles and leaves stringy pilling hanging off. That cause a smear and you can't get detail lines or marks with these. So I'd stick with a fresh regular sharpie, and then as it gets used over & over and starts to frazzle on the end you can call it a stained sharpie then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these markers. They make it so easy to draw on cloth., July 4, 2012
After having fussed with so many other ways to draw or paint on cloth, it's a pleasure to discover these markers. They're so easy to use! And I love the brush tips that let you easily draw thin or thicker lines.

One tip: if you're planning on drawing a color on top of a color, let the bottom color completely dry--I'd say for at least eight hours--before putting on the top color. Otherwise, they'll mix. Also make sure that the caps are on tight after each use, so they don't dry up.

My only complaint is that they're a little on the pricey side. Otherwise, they're perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, and most colors anyone could want!, November 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These markers are somwhat fine tipped. (I thought they'd be fatter)

Colors stay true even after months. Color inside is deeper than the cap shows.

Useful for many things, you will discover over time.

I used on mostly hard surfaces, I did try once on softer item, you almost have to clamp it down to keep it from moving.

Markers actually last a good while, unless you are a craft maven, and marking up shoes & cards all the time.

If you need a set to hang onto that will only get used once in a while, get these.

Hate to even say it, but they do write on paper also. (hope no one around here sees that)

I think I'll hide these, so I can use them for years to come!

1.0 out of 5 stars They do run on fabrics, April 5, 2013
I bought these especially for marking on quilts, labeling my quilts is a big deal and I thought these would be just great for accomplishing this task; however these are disappointing in every way. Not only do they run when applied to my fabric, the points are not fine enough to write what I needed on the quilt label, making much larger letters so it would not fit on my small label. They just are not what I needed; if you don't care what your label or picture looks like, these are great, however, after spending hundreds of dollars and hours piecing my quilts, I need a more professional look on my labels. These are not the ones.