5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another sports book
Published on May 27, 2010 by x5oh

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected...
Published on May 20, 2010 by Angie B.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected..., May 20, 2010
This review is from: Shattered: Struck Down, But Not Destroyed (Paperback)
I was excited about this one since it's written by a former MLB player and I'm a huge baseball fan. I wasn't familiar with Frank Pastore's story since I was too young to remember his "shattered" experience. Pastore has an interesting story and he is brutally honest in his retelling. He didn't try and sugar-coat his experiences, he was honest about mistakes he made and struggles he'd endured. His stories were poignant and entertaining.

He starts with his childhood and details the difficult relationship he had with both his parents. Baseball became his escape and the way he dealt with his mixed up childhood. Pastore mentions the meeting of his future wife and the tales of how they finally married made me laugh out loud. While they married young, it is obvious Pastore loves his wife and she has been supportive through all the changes in his life.

What impressed me the most about his book was the open, honest communication about his salvation experience and the trials and tribulations that often accompany Christianity. Pastore lays bare his thoughts about how even Christian leaders can fail us at times. I appreciated that he didn't deny the ups and downs of his life. Many Christian books make everything sound wonderful. Pastore didn't do that and I appreciate that.

I do have one quibble about this book. There were many times where stories in the chapters didn't seem to "fit." All of a sudden, there was a random story dropped in. It made me wonder what the editor was thinking. All in all, it isn't the best book I've ever read or even the best book I've read this year but it was better than I expected.

Tyndale House provided a free copy of this book in return for my honest, open review of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another sports book, May 27, 2010
x5oh (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shattered: Struck Down, But Not Destroyed (Paperback)
I'm not really sure what I was expecting. I've been a guest on Frank's radio show and am so impressed (maybe even a little intimidated) by his intellect. I used to be a huge baseball fan and even though it may sound trite 9/11 changed me. I don't recall watching an entire sporting event since that day. Today my heroes wear Kevlar. So with Frank's new book I wasn't looking for another locker room jock snapping memoir or a Biblical exegesis. I was flying cross country and wanted an airplane read. I started reading and couldn't put it down. He not only entertained but he challenged me. This isn't a cookie-cutter come to Jesus book but the story of a man who struggled and questioned and persevered. Thanks, Frank. As soon as I got home I bought a copy for my dad for Father's Day.

5.0 out of 5 stars very encouraging book, May 21, 2010
This review is from: Shattered: Struck Down, But Not Destroyed (Paperback)
i read this book in one sitting. english is my second language so i don't like to read books written in english but, i couldn't put this book down till i finished it. very encouraging and inspiring. great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNINGLY GREAT READ !!, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Shattered: Struck Down, But Not Destroyed (Paperback)
MAN OR WOMAN, OLDER OR YOUNGER, CHRISTIAN OR NOT, DOESN'T MATTER! YOU"RE GOING TO ENJOY THE RARE OPENNESS AND HONESTY FOUND IN THIS BOOK! (I KNOW I SURE DID!) I loved the format >> 38 easy-to-read, but hard-to-put-down chapters, covering 220 pages. Unless you've lived a "fairytale life," and I don't know many who have, you will likely be able to identify with several of Frank's experiences in growing up with a dysfunctional home life, tough teenage years, relationship ups and downs, struggles and triumphs, victories and defeats, good and bad "life choices," etc., etc. It's an on-going story! {Hope there's a sequel some day!} DON'T MISS THIS ONE! Dan Brodek

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and very open account, August 5, 2011
G. Toft (West Chester, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shattered: Struck Down, But Not Destroyed (Paperback)
I purchased this book because of my having seen Frank Pastore on the Hour of Power broadcast. I was surprised to see this former Cincinnati Red's pitcher sharing his faith experience on TV. I found this difficult to put down... always wanting to find out what happened next in his life. I finished the book in just a few days time. This well worth the time and money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Picking up the Pieces, July 15, 2010
This review is from: Shattered: Struck Down, But Not Destroyed (Paperback)
Shattered. What would you do if all you ever had known was shattered and taken away from you? The book Shattered by Frank Pastore is about just that. Young Frank Pastore had a rough childhood in a pretty much loveless home and taught that God did not exist. He was an awkward youth who was overweight and picked on. But in high school, he became known and loved for being a great baseball pitcher. His life solely was about baseball from that point forward--till an injury changed all that. Along the way, he became a Christian and learned his life was so much more than he realized.

I need to start by saying that I absolutely loathe baseball and but the premise of this book, combined with the fact that Pastore once pitched for the Reds and I have family who loves the Reds, made this book appealing. This book grasped my attention from the start and I found myself immersed in Pastore's childhood story, his romantic escapes with his wife and his baseball experiences. He wrote with humor and honesty. I was eager to keep reading. However, towards the end, I felt like he just got tired of writing and wanted to hurry and finish it. The story is really about his coming to know and grow with God, and he did discuss that, but not with the luster that I would have liked to have seen. He felt called to different ministries along the way and had disappointment after disappointment. The over all message is that there is something bigger and better for us than we know and when one door is closed, another is open.

Of note, Frank was exposed to Catholicism at one point and obviously didn't "get it" and in turn, did put down the religion. Catholics may take offense to this. Another thing I had a problem with is that Pastore really seems to take credit for what he does, without giving the credit to the one who really deserves it--God.

Could it have been more powerful at the end? Yes. Is it still worth the read? Yes.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from Tyndale House Publishers for review purposes. I was not compensated in any way. This review contains my own honest opinions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shattered--Struck Down, But not Destroyed, June 15, 2010
Clifton L. Ditmore (Phoenix, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shattered: Struck Down, But Not Destroyed (Paperback)
OVERVIEW: The memoir of former MLB pitcher Frank Pastore is about overcoming dysfunction and broken dreams. His Major League Baseball career was shattered in a split second. A line drive off the bat of Los Angeles Dodgers infielder Steve Sax struck the Cincinnati Reds pitcher on his right elbow, and the hurler was never the same. A promising MLB career was all but ended one pitch and one swing. A number of men would have let this misfortune destroy their lives. At one point in his life it would have destroyed Frank Pastore's too. Shattered is part sports book, taking you on road trips to clubhouses and professional baseball fields. And it's part romantic novel, detailing the journey of two young kids who fall in love and eventually elope, evading not only Frank's wife's family but the law as well, for she was only 16 years old. Pastore's memoir is also a story of brokenness, betrayal, and burnout. But most of all, this is an uplifting story of how an unpredictable God can surprise any of us with his goodness and love.

MY REVIEW: Shattered is a sports book but it is more than that. For me, it is about how God can make something beautiful of the shattered fragments of our lives if we will allow him to. I was encouraged to read about how even though he was shattered he was not destroyed. His life was shattered but his soul was saved. Pastore found himself asking that question so many have asked in the time of trouble, "Why is this happening to me?" He was asking this of a God he didn't even believe in. It was this injury that sent Frank, a lifelong atheist, on a journey that would change not only his mind but also his whole life. I agree with Chuck Colson who said, "Frank Pastore is not just a big-league player; he's a big-league thinker...Shattered is a great read--fun, fast, and a real page-turner...We can all relate to his story. It's hilarious, poignant, insi

4.0 out of 5 stars Non-sports geek enjoyed this, May 29, 2010
Stephanie Smith (Wolfe City, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shattered: Struck Down, But Not Destroyed (Paperback)
Frank Pastore's pitching career was going great guns. Then a line drive shattered his pitching elbow. In seconds, he went from the top of his profession to the bottom .

From the cover blurb:

Cincinnati Reds pitcher Frank Pastore stepped onto the mound in Dodger Stadium to throw another fastball - something he'd done thousands of times since childhood. But this one time was different. The batter connected and the ball came rocketing back to the mound, shattering not only Frank's pitching elbow - but also his dream of getting "rich and famous" through Major League Baseball.

As he walked to the training room, Frank found himself asking a God he didn't believe in, "Why is this happening to me?"

The review:

This was a pretty good book. I know very little about baseball, except that the Texas Rangers always charge into the season as if they know what they are doing, then fall apart. The contempt with which this man was raised to view religion by his sociopathic mother and his weak father are quite clear. So is the gradual and persistent movement toward thinking things through for himself, aided by good friends and some foxhole situations.

I liked the fact that Mr. Pastore avoided using his book to get revenge at some people who really treated him shabbily and used him despite supposedly being Christians. He could easily have bitterly called them out instead.

I do feel Mr. Pastore glosses over the ill effects the narcissism of his Major League Baseball days, and his ministry days, had on his wife and children. While he did far better than either of his parents, he did much worse than he could have. The bootstrap effect is sometimes the best one can do, but it still costs.

This book did not cram the God Mr. Pastore worships down the reader's throat. A little heavy handed at times, for the most part it seemed content with gentle witnessing and examples of before and after. For that reason, and because even I, as a non-sport person found the book interesting, I am giving it an A minus.

FCC Disclosure: Tyndale House Publishers sent me a copy of this book to review. I received no other compensation. My opinions are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading At The Beach: Reviews, July 2, 2010
This review is from: Shattered: Struck Down, But Not Destroyed (Paperback)
This isn't just a book about Frank Pastore's baseball career or the shattered elbow that ended that career. It's about a boy from a troubled and abusive home, an athiest, who puts his life back together with the help of God, who he finally accepted into his life. The author holds nothing back in this very emotional story of how he grew up, the trials that he faced, and how he became the man he is today. The most powerful message is that God is with you always, even when you don't want Him there, or even believe in Him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassingly honest, and a great book!, August 29, 2011
This review is from: Shattered: Struck Down, But Not Destroyed (Paperback)
This book got me laughing out loud while completely identifying with the author's childhood and traumatically embarrassing moments. How he described those and his thoughts at the time the events happened took me right to those times in my own life and reminded me of exactly how I was thinking then. No WONDER those things happened, much less felt so bad at the time. But I have to say- his were worse.
The authors story of discovering REAL Christianity through the love and patience of his fellow players, C.S. Lewis, Josh McDowell, and of course, the REAL Jesus, as opposed to the characature of him presented by his mother and others, was excellent.
This is one book I may actually read again.

Shattered: Struck Down, But Not Destroyed
Shattered: Struck Down, But Not Destroyed by Ellen Vaughn (Paperback - April 26, 2010)
$13.99 $10.10