5.0 out of 5 stars True Story of an Amazing Shazam Song ID Success
This app is amazing.

Published on March 25, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Shazam v. SoundHound
I was using SoundHound free on an Android 2.2 device before this was offered free. However, since Shazam Encore is free today, I have purchased and installed it and after using it for a little bit, I think I am going to stick with SoundHound.

Published on March 25, 2011 by H. Huang

3.0 out of 5 stars Shazam v. SoundHound, March 25, 2011
This review is from: Shazam Encore (App)

There aren't major advantages to either app that warrants anyone to pass up on this free-for-today app but I would find it hardly worth the $5 price tag. I found that both SoundHound and Shazam performed similarly, finding and missing the same songs on my very mixed library. I even tried it on some live recordings and both programs were only decent when trying to find it.

I find that SoundHound returns results after a briefer listening time to the music than Shazam. After listening for only a couple of seconds, SoundHound has already finished listening while Shazam insists on listening to a set amount of time. Another initial quirk was that Shazam didn't seem to indicate the whether the phone was actually picking up any audio but I have realized that the meter actually indicates changes in the level of sound. Still, I think the audio level indicator for SoundHound is much clearer.

The information that is returned is also more accurate. Both apps do an admirable job at returning the song title and artist but Shazam has this peculiar quirk where it assigns the song to albums that I would not normally associate with the song. Examples include: Coldplay's "What If" which I expect the album "X&Y" but returns "What the World Needs Now"; Sufjan Steven's "Chicago" from "Illinois" but Shazam returns "Folk Routes". These are issues that I didn't have with SoundHound.

Overall, I would say that it is good to add this to your library (since it is free today, 3.25.2011) even if it isn't installed in case SoundHound drops in quality or Shazam increases. My recommendation, if you had to spend $5 on a music tagging app, would lean towards SoundHound if the free app is any indication of paid app.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Story of an Amazing Shazam Song ID Success, March 25, 2011
Amazon Customer (Waunakee, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This app is amazing.

True Story: Last fall I was watching a football game on TV. As they went to commercial the stadium sound system started to play a song, I could hear it in the background as the TV announcers talked over it. I "knew" the song from my younger days, but couldn't recall the name or the group. I grabbed by Droid X, loaded the recorder app, rewound the DVR and recorded the song snippet to my phone. Next day I played this snippet for nearly 20 people, hoping that someone would recognize it. No one did.

I pretty much forgot about it.

Today, March 25, 2011, four and a half months later, I try Amazon's free offer of Shazam. After reading what the app is supposed to do, I recall this recording from Oct. 2010. I load Shazam, load the recording (both on the same phone), hit Play, quickly switch back to Shazam, hit Listen. Shazam listens, analyzes....and comes up with a match! I knew immediately that it had gotten it right, first try; Driver's Seat by Sniff n' the Tears, from 1978.

Keep in mind that this recording was only about 8 seconds long, from the stadium sound system, with people talking over it in the foreground, recorded from a TV, to a phone.

Shazam, I am impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finds my songs., March 25, 2011
This review is from: Shazam Encore (App)
I listen to European dance music, and I find soundhound horrible at recognition of the music simply because it fails to recognise the songs at all. Shazam, is nearly a guarantee to find the songs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of date App, September 2, 2013
This review is from: Shazam Encore (App)
Hi. I'm reviewing this application because I recieved a email from Amazon to doing it so I only have to say that both the free and paid versions on Google Play are updated to the latest version, but the Amazon one is still to be updated... I would like that Amazon updated this App as soon as Google does.
Best Regards
Tiago Leite

1.0 out of 5 stars Check Your Version!!!, May 29, 2012
This review is from: Shazam Encore (App)
Another crap app, that cant differentiate between and market and a damn OUT OF DATE amazon app. The market version is TWO REVISIONS higher than the Amazon Market.

1.0 out of 5 stars more permissions?, September 10, 2012
This review is from: Shazam Encore (App)
Well I got a notification that I need to update well it said new permissions required so I compared them to the previous release the previous one has 9 and this new one has 14 can anyone say overkill

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, October 12, 2013
This review is from: Shazam Encore (App)
So I download this app to my phone and I am all like "Shazam!" and nothing happens. I try again, nothing. Turns out this app will not turn you into Captain Marvel or give you any other powers. It does however listen to music and tell you what the song is. I guess that is cool too.

3.0 out of 5 stars love hate relationship, August 18, 2013
This review is from: Shazam Encore (App)
I love it because of what it does. I hate it because I think there should be a quick return to listen button somewhere on the pages of songs you tagged or other section of shazam. I have lost several songs because there is no quick return button, and by the time I get to the page (by trial and error) the song is over.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Shazam baby!, March 2, 2013
This review is from: Shazam Encore (App)
It works great, finds the songs you need and is only second to Soundhound because you can't really hum songs into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great App, February 27, 2013
This review is from: Shazam Encore (App)
I use this app on a regular basis and it is always accurate with picking up the songs I want to hear

ARRAY(0x9dd88570)

Shazam Encore
Shazam Encore by Shazam Entertainment Ltd.
$4.99