5.0 out of 5 stars Shazam & Soundhound : Face Off / Updated
Published on March 22, 2011 by Keith Aljrew

1.0 out of 5 stars shac--p
Tried this several times using my kindle HD. Does not work as of yet. May change mind later if it works at all. Have seen it work with smartphone. That's why I tried it. If this is how it works with kindle don't bother.
Published 11 months ago by Henry S. Trautwein

5.0 out of 5 stars Shazam & Soundhound : Face Off / Updated, March 22, 2011
This review is from: Shazam (App)
I've just started using this app a few minutes ago & I have to say, it's amazing! I mean you click it open, tab the Shazam icon & watch the magic happens: It listens to the music source, a few secs, it identifies & 'tags' the song for you! You get its name, lyrics (downloadable), YouTube vids, Facebook & Twitter share options (plus more), you can also buy the songs you like on Amazon MP3...Have you ever been in the situation where you're listening to a song on a radio & you like it but just can't search it 'cause you don't know its name ( & even worse sometimes) who's singing?! Well, wonder no more, just Shazam!

Update #1: I've got over excited using this FREE version of Shazam but to my grief, I've reached the MONTHLY limit for tagging :-( I've only tagged 5 songs! Know I'm thinking of upgrading to the paid 'Full' version. A quick search: Full Version of Shazam on Android Market is $ 4.83 vs $4.99 on Amazon Appstore for Android. Well, I know it's only a few cents less or more but something to know. Plus, now I want to try another app that offers a very similar service, Soundhound. It also comes in a Free & Paid flavors. Let's dig in more music ;-)

Update #2: I've downloaded & successfully installed the free version of Soundhound. While both apps offer very similar functionalities, Soundhound offers UNLIMITED 'Taps.' Well, that's a BIG advantage over Shazam. It also advertised as being able to identify a song as the user sing it. I've tried that but the results were far off. Maybe I'm not the best performer out there or else I would've made it to American Idol! Anyways, the mixed up results in this case are quite expected. One more thing I liked about Soundhound as oppose to Shazam, is 'Similar Artists' feature which helps you explore more music that may very well rhyme with your musical taste. As for the UI, I thought Shazam has a cleaner, more attractive, so to speak, User Interface. But that's a matter of personal preference. For now, I'm gonna stick with Soundhound as my mystery music identifier of choice. But if I'm to buy one of the two, it'll be Shazam.

Bottom Line: Whether Shazam or Soundhound, they're both solid, stable apps with neck-to-neck functionality offerings. However, it's a question of whether or not you want to buy the premium version of either. If not, then Soundhound is your best bet since it now offers unlimited tabs vs Shazam which offers a skinny 5 a MONTH!!! Unless 5 a month is what you desire?! However, I liked Shazam UI better, so if I'm to buy one or the other, it'll be Shazam. Your life, your choice ;-)

Update (04/28/2011):
____________________

Only today, Shazam has started rolling out an update which enables UNLIMITED tagging of songs plus some other 'social' features along with the usual bug fixes. Now with this little bit of info out, both Free versions of Shazam & Soundhound offer unlimited tagging/tapping. The choice is still yours :-)

Update (08/20/2011):
___________________

After using both apps for a a few months now, I have to admit they're neck and neck! It is hard to announce a KO winner without involving a certain amount of personal preference. But, SoundHound ' has made it a little easier to show some reasonable bias. SoundHound ' managed to move their App 2 SD. That's 3.1 MB saving in memory spending! When contacting Shazam Encore to perhaps consider a similar move, they replied: "There are no plans to allow the transferal of the Shazam application onto an SD card. We have looked into the possibility but it causes problems with the application." Well, I really hope Shazam's team will one day figure out a way to overcome those "problems!" Until then I'm sticking with SoundHound ' .

Samsung Epic 4G with Android 2.2 (Froyo)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!!, May 29, 2012
This review is from: Shazam (App)
This app does not disappoint! I've used it many times and love the accuracy and options for downloading, YouTube & more.

4.0 out of 5 stars very cool app., June 5, 2012
Gary Guider (Belton, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shazam (App)
cool app that i use frequently in the car to find the name of a song. my kids tell me to shazam a song when they want to know who is singing. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, February 12, 2013
This review is from: Shazam (App)
Ever been watching a TV show and it starts playing a song in the background and you wonder what song it is? This app will tell you (it will also tell you what TV show you are watching).

Tomshardware had an article on how this works; and I still do not fully understand. Has to do with graphing the music mathematically in three space. But who cares? Not only does this app tell you the song and artist, but it will also show you the lyrics in sync with the song (newer songs only). This is truly amazing-- the app will not only recognize most classical pieces; it will often tell you the artist and/or orchestra. How does it do that- how does it know which version of the 100's of recordings of Beethoven's 5th is playing?

This is a must have app.

1.0 out of 5 stars shac--p, January 14, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a Great App!, April 14, 2012
David E. Smith (CARSON CITY, NEVADA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shazam (App)
I have used the Shazam music app for several months now and I am very pleased with it abilities. Have used it numerous times to find an artist or information about a song that is playing and have only had one occasion that it did not recognize the song. It shows album information, lyrics and purchase information. A very good app.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing How Well This App Works!, March 22, 2011
Rogue (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shazam (App)
This is a very cool app if you have ever been out shopping or dining and wondered what song was playing over the store's speakers. You click the button, it samples the music for a few seconds, and then sends the sample to the cloud for identification. Within a minute it reports back the song title, artist name, album name, and genre. It also provides a bunch of links such as: buy the song at AmazonMP3, view tour dates, watch the video on YouTube, view the lyrics, post to Facebook/Twitter, etc. It even provides a list of recommended songs based on the one you just identified (tagged). Very slick app that works surprisingly well. I recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars no better than Soundhound, September 5, 2011
This review is from: Shazam (App)
I bought the paid version of Soundhound for $1.99. Although Soundhound is a very nice app, there were a few instances where it wouldn't recognize a song so I decided to try the free version of Shazam to determine if it would be a worthwhile alternative. Unfortunately, I found that Shazam was unable to pick up the same songs that Soundhound didn't recognize. The free Shazam has unlimited tagging until the end of 2011 so I will keep it for now. Once that offer expires, it will be uninstalled. If Shazam would offer their paid version for $1.99, I would jump on it but the app is certainly not worth $4.99 when it does not do a better job than Soundhound.

Update (10/1/11):
The free Shazam on the Android Marketplace now has unlimited tagging without any indication of this offer expiring at the end of the year. Not sure whether or not this also applies to this Amazon version, maybe it just needs to be updated. Be aware that if you delete this version and download the Market version, you will lose your tags. From my experience this app is comparable to Soundhound, both are good but neither are perfect. Now that unlimited tagging appears to be here to stay, I have upped my rating to four stars since Soundhound does appear to be a bit faster at identifying songs. With unlimited tagging on the free versions of both apps, my recommendation is to have both of them and if one doesn't recognize a song, then try the other. Still waiting for the price of the paid version of Shazam to drop...

1.0 out of 5 stars ZERO stars., May 2, 2014
This review is from: Shazam (App)
At one time Shazam was the way to go. For some reason it only works 15% of the time. Music from a television forget it. If I was trying to identify some Tibetan religious music I could understand BUT_____

5.0 out of 5 stars Great App for those nostalgic moments, June 20, 2013
This review is from: Shazam (App)
This is a great app for those moments when you hear a track you love but can't remember the title or who sang it.

Shazam
Shazam by Shazam Entertainment Ltd.
$0.00