5.0 out of 5 stars A visual feast!
Most people seem to love the Chipp Kidd's work or hate it. I'm in the former category, and THIS book just knocked me out.

Published on November 11, 2010 by Mark Luebker

3.0 out of 5 stars Temper Your Expectations
Published on November 11, 2010 by E. David Swan

5.0 out of 5 stars A visual feast!, November 11, 2010
This review is from: Shazam!: The Golden Age of the World's Mightiest Mortal (Hardcover)

A word of warning: If you're looking for yet another recounting of the history of the original Captain Marvel, look elsewhere--this is not the book for you. There are plenty of excellent histories to be had, and a subscription to PC Hamerlinck's FCA is a great way to supplement them.

However, if you're looking for a gorgeous collection of photos of the incredible range of Captain Marvel and Marvel Family ephemera that Fawcett and its partners produced during the 13 golden years those characters were in print, stop wasting time reading this review and place your order NOW. This is a must-have.

I've long been fascinated by the incredible range of merchandising that Fawcett did for these characters--an idea decades ahead of its time--and here are stunningly detailed photos of the best of it, including some of the rarest stuff, repros of original designs for some pieces, and even side-by-side comparisons of original art pages and published comics.

This is what I'd hoped the DC Vault and Marvel Vault books would be. While Shazam!: The Golden Age of the World's Mightiest Mortal doesn't include facsimile reproductions like the Vault books, it shows so much more of the Marvel Family and Fawcett merchandise than either of the former does of their subjects that it just blows them away.

This is a book I'll be returning to it again and again, a visual feast. Heck, the quality of the photos and the amount of detail has me thinking about attempting my own facsimiles or reproductions of some of the items, since that's probably the only way I'm ever going to have examples of the really rare and really cool stuff. I'm already trying to decide whether to use Sculpey or Play-Doh to try my hand at one of those Cap syroco figurines...

3.0 out of 5 stars Temper Your Expectations, November 11, 2010
E. David Swan (Denver, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I can't deny that the product description is accurate but that was my biggest worry. I am a big Captain Marvel fan but I'm not a ravenous Captain Marvel fan. I love the stories by C.C. Beck and Otto Binder and I'll grab up any reprint I can find and I wish that DC Comics would start to publish the Shazam Archive editions again. Supposedly they were going to reprint the lengthy Monster Society of Evil storyline but that project seems to have been put on indefinite hold so in my desire to get SOMETHING with Cap in it I bought this book knowing full well that is was probably not what I was looking for. It's a nice big coffee book size, with glossy pages, a lovely die cut hard cover and high quality binding. Unfortunately there is but one story reprinted here and it's kind of an oddball in that's it was done by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby.

So what do you get? Images from a Captain Marvel collection owned by a fellow named Harry Matetsky. This includes pins expanded to full page size, patches, box covers, chipped up figurines, advertisements, fan club letters, single panels blown up like a Roy Lichtenstein painting. I also discovered that in the 1940's Captain Marvel was a shameless corporate shill who pushed possibly hundreds of products. The images are presented in a way that one might present artwork. For instance there is a photo of the original costume from the 1941 Captain Marvel serial that focuses on just the lightning bolt and chest button. If you consider images of unassembled paper toys and roughly drawn film posters to be artwork this might be the book for you and I'm not saying that many aren't lovely. The photography is superb but many of the images are of cheap 70 year old toys with a bit of wear and tear.

A couple of years back Chip Kidd produced a book called Bat-Manga! reprinting Batman comics produced in Japan from the 1960's. As in this book it featured a lot images of memorabilia but most of the book is devoted to the stories. Besides the Simon/Kirby story there is nothing except the occasional single or double page spread. The book veers off into non-Cap items including lengthy sections on Captain Marvel jr, Mary Marvel, Spy Smasher and even Hoppy the Marvel Bunny. Kidd includes all sorts of Captain Marvel information but it's not uncommon to have a half dozen or more pages of just images. I just really was hoping to read some Captain Marvel stories and if that's what you're looking for keep looking.

Say what you will Chip Kidd put his heart in this book and did about as good as I could expect given the subject matter. I imagine he must be a heck of a salesman to get this published because it really appeals to a nitch audience. I can imagine someone who grew up during this era loving the nostalgia but you'd have to be in your late 70's or early 80's to fall in that demographic. You can pretty much blow through the whole book in an hour or so and having done that I'm not sure that I have a tremendous desire to go back through it again. It really pains me to write this review because I'm a Captain Marvel fan and Chip Kidd is a Captain Marvel fun but it's clear that Chip Kidd is a bigger fan than I of all things Marvel related. I do not want to do harm to something that continues to keep Captain Marvel in the hearts and minds of fans and introduces him to potential new fans but I'd be lying if I said that if I had to do it all over I'd purchase this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book this year, November 23, 2010
This is simply the best book I've bought this year. Period.
As a Captain Marvel fan, this is a MUST OWN. If you enjoy 1940s or 50s comics, toys, memorabilia, or just cool stuff about that era of superheroes then buy it as well.
The price is right on the money for this hardcover. The book design is superb. It's fantastically photographed with a lot of good concise info about the world's mightiest mortal. This book gives a great glimpse into what it must have been like to be a kid in the 40s wishing you could say "SHAZAM!" to become our favorite big red cheese but settling instead for the many different novelties and toys one could find in the corner five and dime. There are a lot of rare vintage items that I've never seen before, some only having a couple known examples. My only wish would have been to include a complete list of all the items in the book for us collectors to use as a reference. Chip, take note for the next book.
Overall, this book excels as a reference for vintage Captain Marvel merchandise. There are some examples of the comic stories and art but that isn't the focus. I hope Chip Kidd does many more books like this one. I think I'll go back and buy his "Batman Collected" book after thoroughly enjoying this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 25, 2013
Frank Benge (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This doesn't actually cover Captain Marvel himself... it covers a plethora of marketing. Interesting, but NOT what I was hoping for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain Marvel relevant again., January 12, 2011
I have been involved in the field of comic character collectibles for over 40 years. Before you discount this review based on perceived bias do yourself a favor and continue reading on.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I do not offer this type of accolade lightly. It is rare that a book can capture the very real experience that people of different ages enjoy by reading comic books or illustrated narrative as some view it. Reading the books was one thing, finding out that others share that enthusiasm is another. Seventy years ago it must have been hard to describe what it felt like to find out you were part of a larger community that shared your enthusiasm. Fawcett, the publishers of Captain Marvel, quickly realized this and immediately moved to expand it. They created an entire department to cater to the fan with information, premiums and numerous products available to readers. It quickly developed into an early form of social networking. This is the first book to deal primarily with everything associated with the books and characters and this phenomenon. I usually view books published on collectibles with a very jaded eye. Authors normally go down the path of self promotion, with an agenda attempting to inflate the value of their own collection. Even worse when dealing with the stories, they distort history by focusing on sensational words, phrases or storylines going over the top with the "pows", "wows" and garish color. This book is a visual feast with a main course focused on the Captain Marvel fan base and the products that were produced to feed that frenzy.

Chip Kidd and his team have made Captain Marvel and the period in which he existed relevant again. Aided by a unique opportunity to feature a comprehensive collection such as Harry Matetsky's, Chip was able to provide a superlative tome at a practicable price. Chip's unique ability to present the narrative within the graphics provide more than enough for the seasoned collector as well as newbie.

Chip helps us understand why "the big red cheese" was more popular than Superman with a legion of devoted followers.

A job well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible imagery, January 4, 2011
I discovered comic book fandom in 1965 at the age of 13, after being a comic book fanatic all my young life. I immediately began ordering fanzines and the lower priced golden age books. One of the first was a 1946 issue of Captain Midnight,( $1.50,HA!)which was a pretty lousy comic book, but real interesting to me simply because of it's age. It was like an archaeological dig, holding these books that came out before I was born. But what was really fascinating to me were several pages advertising the very Captain Marvel merchandise pictured in this book! This really blew my mind because I'd never even heard of Captain Marvel... I was a Superman kid, and was always fascinated by his derivatives, which were legion in all the Superman books. There was always another super guy from another planet or circumstance, wearing yet another costume variation. But here was an entirely different but still in the same genre character who was obviously very popular in his time and he was a total mystery to me! I did'nt get the whole story until a year later when I got an issue of Alter Ego ( still a mail order fanzine then) which featured the whole Marvel Family. Having said all that, this book is an absolute visual delight, pure conceptual mind candy, beautiful graphics, all mysteries revealed! If you're a real comic book historian, like me, you'll pour over this book again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Insightful., November 24, 2010
This book is full of great imagery that allows the reader to experience the fun and hype of this character at its prime. The imagery is iconic, and the text provides a lot of insight into the perception of the character in 1940's.

I have been a big fan of the character for years, and this book was still full of surprises and new info for me. I highly recommend this book to SHAZAM fans, and to fans of comic book culture in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner, February 1, 2013
My son loved it! I originally put on wish list and by the time I went back to purchase the price came down significantly. Hard Cover quality pics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, November 20, 2012
If you are a fan of vintage Captain Marvel art, then this will not disappoint. Chip Kidd does and outstanding job in making bold choices to create visually striking layouts for this project. My only gripe is that I wish it was bigger. I really wanted more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book For A Classic Character, October 13, 2012
This lovely book covers the Golden Age history of the original Captain Marvel. This book is lavishly illustrated with not only panels from the classic days of this character, but also toys, foreign editions, original artwork, and more. You also get a loving look at Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel, Jr.

I could have stood a little more on Tawky Tawny and Uncle Marvel, but the book is well worth the price and a delight to read.

Shazam!: The Golden Age of the World's Mightiest Mortal
Shazam!: The Golden Age of the World's Mightiest Mortal by Chip Kidd (Hardcover - December 1, 2010)
$35.00 $25.58