5.0 out of 5 stars Women can prevail!
She Had No Choice is a family drama which originates in Sonora, Mexico. The year is 1918 during the Spanish influenza epidemic. The Ramirez family has already lost four children due to the outbreak. Juanita and Emilio make the decision to give up the land and home they own in Mexico and flee to Arizona to save their family.

Once in Arizona, the family is free...
Published on November 12, 2011 by Mary Crocco

3.0 out of 5 stars Poignant
She Had No Choice by Debra Burroughs
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am so glad I finally got this to load on my Kindle. I didn't think I would get a chance to read it but I did and I am glad.

This is a story about a family who escapes Mexico during The Spanish Flu. Having lost three children already, the thought of losing any more is so much worse...
Published on January 11, 2012 by The Kindle Book Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Women can prevail!, November 12, 2011
This review is from: She Had No Choice, a Tale of Love and Survival (Kindle Edition)

Once in Arizona, the family is free from the flu epidemic; however, life is far from easy. Work is hard to get for migrant farm workers and the family suffers. Juanita dies and Emilio is left with his sons and two daughters. He sends one of his daughters, Sophia, to live with his sister, Consuela, in Phoenix. He thinks she will have a better life. For six years Sophia works as a servant girl for her Tia and the abuse only ends with Tia Consuela's death.

Sophia makes poor decisions regarding men. She ends up alone and pregnant with her first daughter, Eva. Her second relationship she is a victim of domestic abuse from Carlos, who continually beats and abuses her and her children for 25 years. She has a child almost every other year and her life is a living hell.

Eva's life is not going as expected. She is abandoned with two children. She is determined to rise above her adversities while trying to help her mother escape abuse from Carlos.

Does Eva succeed? Does Sophia have any part in the plan? Does either woman find real love?

Burroughs writes with such intensity and you feel what each character is going through on each and every page. She states the book is inspired by a series of true stories. I feel this enhances the reader's expectations.

The story ends in 1960 and I am hoping for a sequel! Sophia and Eva, along with their families, have come a long way since 1918. I want to follow their lives and I have no doubt all readers who enjoy She Had No Choice will agree.

Book Review by Mary Crocco

4.0 out of 5 stars Revelation, January 25, 2012
This review is from: She Had No Choice (Paperback)
She Had No Choice is about a Mexican family drama, struggle to overcome misery, abuse, isolation and everything in between. Each chapter is a new revelation. I think it should be a recommended reading in schools because it shows the painful life of so many immigrants and there are lessons to learn from it.Del suelo al cielo (Spanish Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Left me wanting more, October 5, 2011
An easy read that pulled me in right away and made me care about the characters and their plight. Great story of a family's tragedy and triumph! It left me wanting more. I will be looking for more from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read!, December 20, 2011
Lindsay Horne (Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She Had No Choice (Paperback)
First, let me say that THIS BOOK NEEDS A SEQUEL!!! As a reader, I am dying to know what became of the characters and their story. You are hanging on every detail towards the end of this book and it leaves you wanting more.

I am so appreciative of Debra Burroughs writing style - she definitely has a way with words and she writes with such compelling language that you feel as though you are right there on the pages with the characters experiencing their lives with them...and that isn't too common.

The third-person narrative that this book is written in could be a bit of an obstacle for some readers, but I didn't find it difficult. I enjoyed the change of pace from other works I have read lately. This is a generational story, and I felt like the author chose the perfect mode to tell it.

I would also add that I love books set in different time periods and this one definitely delivered in setting and atmosphere. I appreciated that the author added a small flare of her own experience to the novel. I also liked that it is based on real people, real events, and real characters - that is important in storytelling and oftentimes we don't find a better story to tell than something that actually happened. It made the story that much more believable as well.

I HIGHLY recommend this book to my readers...it isn't often that I stumble across something that I like as much as I did this!

4.0 out of 5 stars With Endurance Comes Victory, January 5, 2012
"She Had No Choice" by Debra Burroughs presents the suffering, sacrifices and turmoil that span three generations of Latina women, starting with main characters Juanita Ramirez, her daughter, Sofia and finally Sofia's own daughter, Eva. Burroughs skillfully weaves relationships and heart-breaking dilemmas with numerous supporting characters, including spouses, siblings, families and friends without overshadowing the plight and strength of these three women.

While the story starts from 1918 and goes on until 1960, sadly, such problems still ring true for many people, including women in our modern-day world. In her novel, Burroughs deals with the powerful issues that leave her female characters with no clear-cut choices due to unfortunate circumstances resulting from societal beliefs during the time period, plus the women's innate sense of loyalty and familial duties. Her novel depicts the difficult decisions her main characters were forced to make, whether it entailed staying in abusive relationships for the sake of their progeny, or gathering the courage to stand up to their tormentors knowing there will be consequences. Burroughs concludes her characters' long-suffering fates with a celebration of their underlying strength, endurance and unwavering belief that a better tomorrow is indeed possible.

A credit to her excellent writing skills, coupled with perhaps, her closeness to the true-to-life people who inspired this novel, the pages echoed the female characters' pain, and I anguished over their situations. I found myself turning the e-pages, hoping for positive outcomes and was delighted with their victories, big and small.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where is the sequel?, December 29, 2011
I have read She Had No Choice three times! Each time I have laughed and cried and felt surprised that Burroughs held me in suspense and sometimes fear. This is a "can't put it down until the end" novel that is also an easy read. Although the topic of domestic violence is often an R rated subject, Burroughs has written this touching story of generational family crisis in a manner that is inoffensive. I learned about the latin culture and found the minimal Spanish easy to navigate. I am anxiously awaiting a sequel to see what happens in the lives of the next generation! I highly recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Generational Journey of Determined Women!, December 31, 2011
This review is from: She Had No Choice (Paperback)
This books is the story of how women are constantly faced with the tough decisions of how to navigate in this life, especially during a time when women had no rights in the world. I appreciate the determination of the women in this story to never give up while facing some extremely difficult and dangerous conditions. It shows the spirit and true nature of women to rise above their circumstances, care for their families, and still come out on top. I am looking forward to seeing the next chapter in these women's lives. She Had No Choice, a Latin Spin on The Color Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars A family saga with the women as the central characters, December 19, 2011
This story was heart-breaking and joyous in equal measure. I cheered these women on and truly wanted for each of them to realize that she DID have a choice. Of course things were very much different for women during the time frame of this story, much less Hispanic women with little education, so choices were limited for them.

I was transported into the migrant worker shacks with dirt floors and no shoes to wear. I felt the heartbreak and fear that the children lived with. The emotions that this story evoked made me thankful for my "cushy" life and remember that women have come a long way. I am thankful that I am not in Sophia's shoes!!!

My heart pounded with the characters running across the dessert in a desperate bid for freedom. Tears welled in my eyes as Sophia got on the train as a small girl on her way to a "better life". I was left wanting to know if Sophia lived a peaceful and joyful life and if Eva enjoyed her life with her prince. I want to know what happened after the last page!

Every woman should read this novel to see that it is never to late to make a choice to change your life. If any book can make you see that children live with the repercussions of a mother's choice, this book is that eye-opening read. Once a woman reads this story she will know that not making a choice is making a choice, and sometimes your children make the best choice for you.

DRS

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read!, October 4, 2011
SOOO GOOD!! It really captures your attention right from the beginning. So moving that it made me cry and when it ended I was like NOOO! I won't give anything away but you left me wondering......Hopefully a sequel is in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent voice for battered women and children, December 8, 2011
The words "She had no choice" often ring through people's minds. What was there no choice about? Sofia had no choice in leaving Mexico, leaving her father, or dealing with the abuse that she was dealt. Each step of the way, the author details why she had no choice in the things that happened in her life. This book should give courage to those who are/have been suffering under the silence of abuse.