5.0 out of 5 stars Humorous and Poignant
Published 11 months ago by CelticWomanFanPiano

2.0 out of 5 stars The title sounded so promising ....
About to turn 80 next year, I was looking for some truths and advice about how to handle the pre-existing condition of aging with good humor and acceptance which is the hard part. This book just isn't about aging, not when I look at it from my aging point of view. There are a few mentions of it but more or less in a throw-away manner, nothing that sticks with me and most...
Published 14 months ago by Christine B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humorous and Poignant, December 24, 2013
This review is from: She: The Old Woman Who Took Over My Life (Hardcover)
This is the last book written by Kathryn Tucker Windham, an Alabama storytelling legend, shortly before her passing. True to Kathryn Tucker Windham's style, there is a lot of wit and humor in the book. With "She" being the alter ego personifying the aging process. In the book she has cute little conversations with "She" that bring out a chuckle in the reader. These conversations are then intermingled with her childhood stories about growing up during the Depression era in rural Thomasville, Alabama. She tells the story about how her Dad's bank failed and all they had were three or four dollars that Kathryn had managed to save. She also goes on to tell the process about becoming an "Electronic Woman", meaning an elderly lady who has to depend on electronic oxygen tanks and the like. It is a simply written book. And, truthfully, were it not for her legend, I'm not sure this book would have otherwise been published. However, I do find that the book has value in that it is a very quick read (112 pages or so) and it gives insight into the mindset of the aged. My Grandfather lived to be ninety-nine and I recognize in Kathryn's book many of the things he talked to me about. Such as the adjustment to having to use a cane and different things like that. Aging isn't something discussed in the popular culture, other than in anti-aging beauty products, and Ms. Windham accomplishes something in this book that is remarkable. She discusses a serious subject with humor and reveals certain universal truths about it all through her wit and storytelling. A definite five out of five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars She: The Old Woman Who Took Over My Life, February 25, 2012
This review is from: She: The Old Woman Who Took Over My Life (Hardcover)
I enjoyed the book. Very well written and interesting. A little history, little culture and life of getting older. I would recommend this book for others to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming southern book about aging, December 8, 2011
This review is from: She: The Old Woman Who Took Over My Life (Hardcover)
My friend Kathryn died earlier this year, and this was her last book. In her charming and always humorous way, she describes the challenges of growing old. Anyone who's enjoyed her previous books will love this one. A wonderful southern book which would make a great gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars She, December 7, 2011
P. Craig (MONTGOMERY, ALABAMA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She: The Old Woman Who Took Over My Life (Hardcover)
This book was the funniest book and the best description of growing older that I have read. Her art of storiy telling has been a joy thru the years and this one doesn't dissappoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED THIS BOOK!!, August 25, 2013
This review is from: She: The Old Woman Who Took Over My Life (Hardcover)
I love Kathryn Windham, have heard her speak many times. "SHE" is such a great read.. I can so relate...

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Kathryn, August 21, 2013
Amazon Customer "The Teller" (Provo, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
Kathryn Tucker Windham was an individual the like of which one is blessed with once in a lifetime--if you are very lucky. I was. I love reading this because I can hear her voice, laugh again at her wry humor, and see her smile. My goodness, but Miss Kathryn was wonderful. As long as we have her stories, she'll be with us. Don't miss this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aging is not for sissies, August 21, 2013
This review is from: She: The Old Woman Who Took Over My Life (Hardcover)
Engagingly written portrayal of aging and how to cope with and enjoy that time of life. It does indeed sneak up on us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, June 23, 2013
She is thoughtful, and charming and for those of us of a certain age loaded with humorous insight, lighthearted and painfully true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 4, 2014
PLEASED

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary woman!, May 27, 2014
Mrs. Windham was such a wonderful jewel. We here in Selma, Alabama could not have been more proud to have known her. I hope that we could be fortunate to have some semblance of someone else during our life time to come close to entertaining like she did. Thank you Mrs. Windham!

She: The Old Woman Who Took Over My Life
She: The Old Woman Who Took Over My Life by Kathryn Tucker Windham (Hardcover - October 4, 2011)
$20.00 $14.49