Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 8, 2011
My friend Kathryn died earlier this year, and this was her last book. In her charming and always humorous way, she describes the challenges of growing old. Anyone who's enjoyed her previous books will love this one. A wonderful southern book which would make a great gift.
on August 21, 2013
Kathryn Tucker Windham was an individual the like of which one is blessed with once in a lifetime--if you are very lucky. I was. I love reading this because I can hear her voice, laugh again at her wry humor, and see her smile. My goodness, but Miss Kathryn was wonderful. As long as we have her stories, she'll be with us. Don't miss this book.
VINE VOICEon December 24, 2013
This is the last book written by Kathryn Tucker Windham, an Alabama storytelling legend, shortly before her passing. True to Kathryn Tucker Windham's style, there is a lot of wit and humor in the book. With "She" being the alter ego personifying the aging process. In the book she has cute little conversations with "She" that bring out a chuckle in the reader. These conversations are then intermingled with her childhood stories about growing up during the Depression era in rural Thomasville, Alabama. She tells the story about how her Dad's bank failed and all they had were three or four dollars that Kathryn had managed to save. She also goes on to tell the process about becoming an "Electronic Woman", meaning an elderly lady who has to depend on electronic oxygen tanks and the like. It is a simply written book. And, truthfully, were it not for her legend, I'm not sure this book would have otherwise been published. However, I do find that the book has value in that it is a very quick read (112 pages or so) and it gives insight into the mindset of the aged. My Grandfather lived to be ninety-nine and I recognize in Kathryn's book many of the things he talked to me about. Such as the adjustment to having to use a cane and different things like that. Aging isn't something discussed in the popular culture, other than in anti-aging beauty products, and Ms. Windham accomplishes something in this book that is remarkable. She discusses a serious subject with humor and reveals certain universal truths about it all through her wit and storytelling. A definite five out of five stars.
on May 22, 2014
This is a very short little book - but quite charming and utterly remarkable that it was written by a woman who was very close to the end of her long life while she was working on it. It seems to capture what it must be like to find your younger self (who lives in our minds, no matter our real age) overtaken by the old woman our bodies become if we are fortunate to live long lives. I think especially recommended for anyone who has a loved one experiencing the travails of aging ....... to hopefully see things from their perspective better and be more understanding of their challenges.
on January 18, 2016
I wish I had know this witty and remarkable lady! I was so intrigued with her and her book that I went to YouTube to hear her beautiful, southern accent. I've known for sometime that I have a *She* hiding things from me. 😬
on November 21, 2012
I acknowledge prejudice for this review. Kathryn Windham was a friend for many years. She saw everyone for who they were - not color, race, religion - just character. You never had to guess where you stood with her. I have read many of her books, and found all of them to be delightful. Being a southerner from a small town is an asset when reading them. Kathryn was a master story teller and most of her stories reflected events that she experienced. "She" was her last book. I read it in one sitting. She (the author) tells the story of her last couple of years exactly as she experienced it. It is factual and told with humor as only Kathryn would think of telling it. I treasure it for the memories that will live on and plan to give several as gifts. You don't have to know her to enjoy this final chapter of her life.
on January 14, 2016
This is one of the most poignant books I have ever read and is a must read for anyone who is caring for an elderly person in their life. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it helped me understand how my 84 year old mother feels and what she is going through as she ages. This is a precious book, written with humor, honesty and can be read - or savored - at your own pace. I gave one to ALL of my friends caring for their elderly mothers, and have heard nothing but "Thank you so much" from all of them.
on December 11, 2012
I had the privilege of meeting Kathryn Tucker Windham when I filmed her for Alabama Public Television in 2009. She spoke before a packed audience at the Alabama Department of Archives and History. At age 91 she had that audience instantly in the palm of her hand, she was brilliant, funny, entertaining and always endearing. I felt so honored to be in her presence after hearing her through the years on NPR and reading her books. She was a master storyteller and a real treasure. This book is her last, and is so bittersweet, but so filled with her loving spirit. All who knew her in person or just through her work are enriched. A must for her fans.
on February 17, 2012
KTW was my Sunday School teacher at Church Street Methodist Church when I was a teenager, and she has been my friend for more than 55 years,which is revealed so the gentle reader will know that I am thoroughly biased. "She" is a marvelous read, and it is so perceptive. Being male, I have observed that another 'she' has slowly, but surely, taken over my wife of 45 years...and now I understand so much more. KTW has gone to rest in her pine box, but her legacy will live for as long as people read.
Glenn Lamar Smith
on February 19, 2015
A small book to be treasured from the keen mind and warm heart of Kathryn Tucker Windham. She deals with aging and dying with realism and humor, gentleness and quiet assurance. Not a morbid word. Altogether delightful.