Shea Moisture Raw Shea Retention Shampoo-13 oz
Size Name: Shampoo, Pack of 1Change
Price:$13.42 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 12, 2012
Size Name: Shampoo, Pack of 1
It makes your hair feel so soft and silky. It feels so moisturizing and I noticed it makes it easier to detangling after use. Love it! I don't love the masque but this great.
on April 16, 2014
Size Name: Shampoo, Pack of 1
Ever since I went natural in 2009, I have been struggling to find products that my hair agrees with, especially shampoos. I went from using an all natural $25 a bottle shampoo from a company called JustNatural, to using an Aloe shampoo from Organics, to using Garnier Fructis Hydra Recharge (huge HUGE mistake) and I finally broke down and decided to do some research. I learned that it was best to stay away from shampoos that strip the natural oils from your hair, and even heard that I shouldn't be shampooing at all! I heard a lot of things about 'co-washing' and decided to give it a try. To keep it short and sweet, not everything works for everybody. After co-washing my hair (with many different conditioners) my hair was still dirty and did nothing for retaining moisture into my hair.

One day I googled 'all natural shampoos' and came across Shea Moisture's Raw Shea Retention shampoo. I'll admit that I ignored this product for awhile because I once tried Shea Moisture's Coconut and Hibiscus line, and it did absolutely nothing for my hair besides leaving it dry. I finally decided to try it after reading all of the positive reviews.

The smell is not that awful to me, you get used to it. I did not need to use a lot of the shampoo, which was a surprise to me because my hair is very thick. After massaging the shampoo into my hair and scalp and rinsing, my hair felt amazing. It was very soft and clean. In fact, my hair was left feeling so soft that I assumed this was because I had not washed all of the product out of my hair. I spent about 5 extra minutes rinsing my hair under warm water. After I dried my hair with a t-shirt and let it air dry for a while, my hair felt even softer! I then followed up with the conditioner, and then I deep conditioned with the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, and my hair absolutely loved it.

I would definitely recommend this shampoo to naturals who have tried co-washing but would like to use an all natural shampoo instead.
on August 1, 2013
Size Name: Shampoo, Pack of 1
I originally purchased this for myself because I color my hair red regularly, and I needed something that wouldn't strip the color out as quickly. It's just absolutely amazing! The color has lasted an entire 5 weeks vs 3 weeks using L'Oreal EverPure!... I also started using this on my 3 year old son. It works great on his hair too. We always use natural and cruelty free products. This one is by far the best shampoo we've tried. It's definitely worth the extra money (I paid about $10.00 at WalMart). It lathers nicely, and leaves hair moisturized without weighing it down. Great for adults, children, and no harsh chemicals polluting the earth.
Size Name: Shampoo, Pack of 1Verified Purchase
Great shampoo! I tried this shampoo after hearing about it on [...]. It is a very good shampoo as it does moisturize the hair. My hair and scalp didn't feel stripped of it's natural oils after washing with it. I will be trying their whole line of products. Another plus is that it is a shampoo that contains natural ingredients and no sulfates, etc., (ingredients that are bad for the hair). I also have bouts of eczema on my hands and this shampoo doesn't irritate me or cause me to have eczema flair ups. Love this one!
Size Name: Shampoo, Pack of 1
I have natural 4a\b\c hair that is very dry. Granted my hair is a bit porous so that could be the problem. I tried doing the conditioner washes but honestly doing that leaves my scalp loaded with buildup. So I picked this up at Target and looked at the ingredients and it looked good to me.

I poured out a dime sized amount and emulsified it in my hand and applied it to my scalp. I noticed for me that a dime size amount is enough for half of my head. So I applied another dime sized amount for the other side. It does have the distinct smell that can be overpowering at times but I pressed on. It rinsed pretty well considering I have hard water and no filter installed in the shower head. My hair and scalp was clean but still had moisture, not stripped. My hair also seemed not so tangled so that is a plus.

I liked that a little amount goes a long way and I loved the results this shampoo provided. Not wild about the smell but I will get used to it or rinse my hair with apple cider vinegar to counter it. I will purchase again once I run out.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 7, 2013
Size Name: Shampoo, Pack of 1
First off, I am a huge skeptic and read tons of reviews before buying products now. Bought too many products blindly and very rarely have I been amazed. I started using this shampoo ~45 days ago and my hair has done a 180 with manageability and moisture by far. I am thrilled by the real price of $10, not $16.50 or any other marked up price.

I originally bought this product with the Transitioning set for Shea Moisture. I was happy with the shampoo as my hair did not get dried out as usual. My hair was actually moisturized afterwards. I have black, relaxed hair. Normal texture is very course with a tight curl (Andre Scale 4B). My hair grows out quickly and sucks up all the moisture rapidly, making my hair feel dry most of the time otherwise.

I personally did not notice the "smell" - cant smell as bad as a relaxer or dye - yet many of us do this regularly, so I did not notice the smell as it was so minor if it existed at all. Just so some people are aware, Argan Oil has a very strong smell naturally (I buy this too) so, for this shampoo to smell the way it is is pretty good. I don't see a problem, no one has told me that my hair smells bad. My husband would say something if it did.

I also started using the Shea Moisture Hair Masque Conditioner with this and this is great. I use the Shea Moisture leave-in conditioner only to pull my ends or crown in instead of using a gel. The spray - styling solution was not that helpful to me though. I would not buy the spray again.

My Normal Routine:

I wash my hair with the Shea Moisture Shampoo, then I apply the masque conditioner and then sit under the dryer for 20-45 minutes once per week. Then I wash out the conditioner. Once per month, I will wash my hair first with a clarifying shampoo then wash again with Shea Moisture and then condition as mentioned. After washing out the condition, I add a dime size of 100% jojoba oil to my hair along with another product: Mixed Chicks Straightening Serum, then I blow dry my hair using a roll brush blow dryer (limits the amount of heat that comes out) at an angle (starting with the crown first and working towards the middle and through the ends) on high initially until the hair gets moderately dry, then I turn it to low as to not overdry the hair. Once the hair is dry, you can feel the difference in how the hair sits on the head, it is very flat, not frizzed out. Then I will flat iron using a ceramic iron to liking. I do not flat iron heavily because with how the hair is dried at an angle, the hair looks straight before flat ironing, I use the flat iron more to style not to straighten. I do not wrap my hair at night, I only use a silk or satin pillowcase. I do not wet wrap or roller set my hair, I only blow dry. I also will run a little 100% organic argan oil through my hair about mid week to keep any frizz from forming. After doing this consistently over 45 days, my hair is so much easier to manage and looks way nicer with much less effort by far.

In the past, I bought pretty much every product available for this hair at Walmart and Target without success. Then I decided to buy higher end products where I also bought salon brands as well to include the Sebastian line, to which I was using before this and it was so so but easily 3 times more expensive, Mizani, Nexus, and others. I also used the Carols Daughter line, which was ok, but not great. Wen - seems designed more for people who have a softer and not as tight curl or for another hair type - not anything special in my experience.

No one product is perfect for everyone, but overall this product is perfect for me. I was so pleased by this product, I also just started buying the lotions and soaps (today), so I will leave a review once I get a good feel for the products.

I love this Shampoo and already recommended it to others including my family members, but I would never buy this for more than $10 because this is what it is sold for at stores such as Target and Walgreens- this seller needs to be aware of this. A product should not get bad reviews because of a Seller on Amazon or for Amazon, as this is an injustice to the brand.
on March 2, 2015
Size Name: Shampoo, Pack of 1
A little about my hair before I leave a review (because everyone's hair will react differently): I'm not African-American, I'm Middle Eastern. I have thin hair, but a lot of it. I only wash my hair twice or thrice a week. I've done just about everything to my hair; expensive salon shampoo and conditioner, the "no-poo" method with baking soda and apple cider vinegar, and now finally I have found my hair savior! This product is fabulous, and I paired it with the anti-breakage and volumizing biotin hair masque from this company. I've only been using these products for three weeks and my hair feels absolutely amazing. My hair is the softest its ever been, smells great, and completely repaired my hair after frying it with the no-poo method. STAY AWAY FROM THE NO-POO METHOD! But if you're like me and were intrigued by reviews about the no-poo method, tried that method, and realized you were horribly wrong, get this shampoo and hair masque! I love the smell and the natural ingredients. I cut 2 inches off my hair three weeks ago, and my hair has already grown an inch!

My recommendation for having perfectly soft, LONG, and amazing hair (if you have similar hair to me) is buying extra-virgin cold pressed coconut oil, this shampoo, this hair masque, biotin 5,000 mcg, shower caps, and "its a 10" leave in spray.

-Take your biotin daily!
-Once a week put coconut oil in from your scalp to your ends (make sure you massage your scalp for a few minutes) then cover your hair with the shower cap for 2 hours.
-Rinse out with this shampoo (twice to get the oil out)
-Use the associated hair masque after shampooing ONLY ON YOUR ENDS, cover your hair with the shower cap
-Wash your body, shave, wash your face while your hair is up
-Rinse out with COLD water
-When hair is damp, spray "its a 10 miracle leave-in spray"

This will do wonders to your hair
on November 1, 2014
Size Name: Shampoo, Pack of 1
I have finally found my shampoo. I have course and long dreadlocks and I have used several products in the past, both sulfate and sulfate/ residue free and the outcomes were never great-either the product worked well but was cost prohibited (carol's daughter) and / made it worse (Wen shampoo). (Read the bottom).
So I looked at what my sister used (she also has dreadlocks) and did some research. I was happy to know that Shea Moisture hair products were natural and that did not contain any chemical agents. I purchased a bottle at Ricky's for $10. (Read ANOTHER SIDE NOTE)
I purchased the Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner and I was hooked. My hair was clean and it didn't leave a heavy residue. Yes I do admit that it does leave your hair (to some degree) "squeaky clean", but it so without compromising of it of its natural elasticity and moisture. My hair didn't feel dry and it felt very soft. My only qualms with this product is that it doesn't provide the luster and shine that it advertises. Nevertheless, I will continue to use this product.
I read some of the reviews after using the shampoo and I so surprised that for some, this product was a big disappointment. However, it doesn't mean the product doesn't work. For some, sulfate / residue free products are too harsh and my not provide them with the softness and shine they need. For some products that may contain sulfates and other chemicals may work. (It worked when I has relaxed hair) and that's fine. No hair texture is created equal. After using so many different products, the best advice I can give is examine your hair, examine its texture and style. If you've gone to a salon, what do they use, look at the ingredients. Also examine your diet. If you're not drinking enough water and have unhealthy eating habits, guess what...no product in world is going to make your hair any better then it is now.

SIDE NOTE-Read the reviews on Wen before purchasing; I used it only my hair and my locs started to become thin. My hair has never been the same. I had to dread some of my locks together to prevent them from falling out. There are You-Tube videos of ladies using this product and their hair falling out. There is a class action suite against that started this July although I am not sure if the court proceedings have started. I feel customers should be well informed

ANOTHER SIDE NOTE - If you purchased it from Amazon (even if you are a prime member), you been overcharged. If you go to Shea Moisture website, they also charge $10 for their products (minus the shipping and handling). Just go to your local Target, Ricky, Walgreens, etc.
on November 5, 2012
Size Name: Shampoo, Pack of 1
Like a lot of other people I depend on countless reviews before I even think about buying a product online! I can honestly say as a black women this is the first shampoo I have ever used that has been great to my hair. Matter a fact, I use the whole line of Shea Moisture: shampoo, condition, deep treatment, and oil! The supermarket shampoo and conditioners that I use to buy because they were "cheaper" would leave my hair dry and really painful to comb through and thats one thing I hated. With Shea Moisture after the first wash with a quarter sized amount my hair feels so soft as if I was using conditioner. This product cleans my hair but doesn't strip the good oils and it leaves my hair soft with a slight butterscotch smell! I also believe that sticking to a certain product in your hair for a certain time will help it grow or show you what works or wont work. This is so worth the money! There is no beating this product so kudos to the creator of this line.

Last but not least, the ONLY reason I am not giving this a five star is because of the ridiculous price! I always thought that online shopping was suppose to cheaper but the fact that these sellers are raising up the price probably due to not wanting to pay for shipping or just to make an extra profit is sad. This product sells at CVS, Walgreens, and Target for about 10 bucks a piece! 14-20 dollars is NOT right and NoT fair for one piece of the set!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 21, 2011
Size Name: Shampoo, Pack of 1
Bad experience, more than once. At first I thought that it was just me, but after more than one try and a handful of tangles and hair shred, I then knew! It made my hair EXTREMELY clean to the point of sticky, squeaky, fall out. Most reviews are positive, but I guess some people just aren't fit for it. :(
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations