Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on December 18, 2010
After seeing all the rave reviews for the other Shea Moisture shampoo, I decided to give this a try. I use this brand's lotion faithfully so it wasn't too much of a risk to try their shampoo. I've been searching for a good sulfate free shampoo for awhile now. And after a disappointing experience with a John Masters Organics shampoo, I was a bit hesitant to try this. But I excitedly purchased both the shampoo and conditioner and let me tell you, they DID NOT DISAPPOINT!!

The smell of the shampoo is very nice, not too strong or overwhelming....simply pleasant. It also lathers up very nicely and actually a little more than the John Masters Organics (sorry if i'm making an unintended comparison but it was the only other organic shampoo I tried) which I found surprising, considering it contains less ingredients. But that made me even more happy! I do have very fine and thin hair so I'm always on the search for a volumizing (thickening) product. And it does just that. My hair was left feeling soft, smooth, bouncy, moisturized and in pure heaven! In addition to the volume, one thing I particularly like is that it moisturizes. My scalp is naturally dry so finding a product that effectively does this is a must! After using the other shampoo, upon rinsing, my hair felt stripped. I don't know if this is because of an ingredient used or the simple make-up, but when I used this, it was not the case. The conditioner is awesome as well. I'm so thrilled to finally have found a product that works, is truly organic and is beneficial for my hair. I will definitely be buying this in loads and will most likely use from here on out :)
0Comment55 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2013
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Shea Moisture products. After heavily researching lotions, I realized there are not many beauty products that you can read the label and know what's in your products. Well...Shea Moisture is different. You can read the label and understand what you're putting on your body. Also, the product is great! I have very thin, 3A/B curly hair. I have a hard time with volume around my crown. This product noticeably gives you more volume - I'm not exaggerating! After the first wash, you notice it. I alternate the Thickening shampoo and conditioner with the Shea Moisture moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I sometimes use the milk and thickening spray, but I love my Aveda curly styling products. No matter the styling products, I notice a huge difference in volume. It's great. I've already recommended it to most of my friends (they've become converts. I have a friend with short, thin straight hair who loves it and notices a difference). We purchased some for my mom (who knows nothing about hair products) but has also reported a difference.

Give it a test run. I think you'll be happily surprised.
0Comment22 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2014
Ok so I read the reviews. First I would like to let people know that I have been a Pantene volume shampoo user for a while and have used EVERY type of hair regrowth, volumizing shampoo on the market before that because my hair has thinned considerably since my twenties. Why? Could be a hormone imbalance, could be shampoos could be diet...after all my research who knows. So, finally I thought why not get with a shampoo that is completely or almost completely natural? Less chemicals and such must be better right?
I have tried ALOT of organic shampoos in the past and yes, they lather less and left my hair feeling dirty...whether my hair was left truly dirty or not by those products I have no idea. I read that a lot of today's regular shampoos strip the hair of its natural moisture and that is what I grew up using so THAT'S how I thought my hair should feel after washing it. After using this product my hair didn't feel like it did after I washed with Pantene, that "squeaky clean" feeling but it did feel "moisturized" like it contains some kind of oil in the product that was left on my hair but not greasy.
After I washed it with the shampoo I used the Shea Thickening Conditioner and after washing that out my hair, it felt more..."squeaky"? lol but still like my hair had natural oils in it which I truly believe hair needs.
After that I towel dried and sprayed on the volume spray they offer with this line. Now I was VERY skeptical using a spray instead of some kind of foamy mousse given my hair's thin texture now but WHOA! After I blow dried I my boyfriend was like "WOW, you look like you just got out of a salon....so maybe there is something to this organic hair care kick." My hair is silky but voluminous and looks amazingly healthy after just one use and without the need to go crazy with blow drying with a huge round brush to smooth it out. After the Pantene it looked....dry so I would use a huge round brush AFTER flipping my head over and drying that way first. It also bumps up the color in my natural dark brown hair. I mention this because I don't know how it will effect a blonde or those with red hair.
Over all, I am VERY happy with this "Volume" line of products by Shea Moisture, I do agree...don't by it here on Amazon, go to Harmon's or a store near you where you will find it much more cost effective. Hope this helps.
PS: While this doesn't matter to me the fragrance is unbelievably beautiful and it lasts almost a whole day.
0Comment25 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2015
They have changed their ingredients, It is now laced with chemicals, Such a bummer!! Water, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Glycol Stearate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Stearamide AMP, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Adansonia Digitata Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Yucca Brevifolia Root Extract, Coriandrum Sativum (Coriander) Extract, Plantain (Musa Paradisiaca) Extract, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Glycerin (Vegetable), Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid
11 comment29 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2015
As of 4/22/15 - The caption on the Amazon page still says 'Shea Moisture Yucca & Baobab Thickening Shampoo.' But the manufacturer has discontinued this product. The new one (and the photo now used on the Amazon page) shows 'Yucca and Plantain.' IT IS NOT THE SAME PRODUCT as the one with Baobob. And does not work as well.

Some other ingredients now being used are also very different from the original.

Shea - PLEASE BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL.
Amazon - PLEASE FIX THE ERROR ON THE PAGE
on May 9, 2013
This is an excellent shampoo for fine hair, but take a moment to search. You can buy this at most corner stores for $4-$5 bucks and find it anywhere online for half this price. This listing is a ripoff.
55 comments28 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2014
This is a wonderful shampoo, but there are two things you need to be aware of for the best results--

1) Use a clarifying shampoo before you try this product. You won't be able to tell how a new shampoo affects your hair if the residue of the old stuff is still there.

2) Give this shampoo about a week before you make a call. If you're switching from a harsher commercial shampoo, your scalp is accustomed to having its natural oils regularly stripped away (and is therefore is producing more oils than needed in order to compensate). This Shea Moisture shampoo is far gentler on your hair; therefore, when you switch to this, you'll have a short period where your scalp is continuing to overproduce oils, but your new shampoo isn't ripping them all away (and thus your hair will be somewhat oily). This is temporary -- your scalp will adjust; it just needs a week or two.

After my first few uses of this shampoo, my hair felt a little too oily/greasy for comfort, and I wondered if I had purchased a bad product. I suspected, however, that this was because my scalp was continuing to produce extra oils. Now, a couple weeks after I began use, my hair feels GREAT. It's soft and healthy and much less oily feeling than before. This is a wonderful shampoo; it's not badly priced, considering how much product you're given for your money, it's almost completely natural/organic, and it's gentle on your hair.

I would strongly recommend this product.
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2014
I LOVE this product. I have very fine, thin straight hair. I have tried so many volumizing products in many price ranges...pretty much any poduct I came across that I thought might add some volume and thickness. This line I will be sticking with! Nothing had made my hair thicker, fuller or stronger like this line. I've been getting compliments on my hair regularly since I've started using this product line. I'm sold!

Just to comment on the reviews regarding residue...when I first started using the shampoo and conditioner I thought, like many others who wrote reviews, that it was leaving residue in my hair. By the end of the day my hair was quite greasy. It took me a little bit to realize that I wasn't rinsing it out enough. I had treated it like every other shampoo I've used. However, this shampoo has a different, almost slippery texture. When you rinse it out, you REALLY have to rinse it out. When I started taking my fingers and combing them through my hair and lifting up sections of hair at the roots as I rinsed, everything changed. No more greasy/residue at the end of the day. Just really nice volume!

All in all I HIGHLY recommend this line (from the shampoo & conditioner, to the thickening moisture mist). Just be sure to rinse it it well!
This shampoo does what it claims. I recommended it to my daughter-in-law, who has baby fine hair. I use several SM products and love them so I figured this formula might help thicken her thin, lifeless strands. It definitely worked. She used it several times and I noticed that she was having successively good hair days. She also uses the SM Yucca Strengthening conditioner and the Yucca thickening/volumizing mist. These products give her hair body and shine and much more volume. Although her hair is fine, she has a lot of it and these products give her hair new life. They definitely thicken and she had great volume that lasted all day. I suggest trying these three products in conjunction. She applies the conditioner just to the midlengths and ends of her hair and then rinses really well. If you have really fine hair, then the conditioner may not be necessary. However, fine hair can break easily so the strengthening conditioner may help with this issue. All in all, these SM products definitely do what they claim. I have a HUGE SM fan. I use the Manuka Honey s/c/mask/serum which makes my dry, frizz prone hair soft and shiny. I also love the SM Jamaican Black Castor Oil clarifying shampoo with apple cider vinegar. It removes all traces of sticky styling products and hairspray and leaves my hair clean and bouncy. It also smells really clean and fresh. SM products are available at Target, Walgreens, CVS, Ulta and Sally Beauty Supply and cost about $11. But only Target has the Manuka Honey formula (for some strange reason). SM products are sulfate, silicone, paraben and cruelty free. What more could you ask for? I'm a total SM convert. My hair has never looked so good. I highly recommend all the SM products I've mentioned, especially this Yucca and Baobab Thickening shampoo. It definitely works well for my DIL.
on January 14, 2015
This is my honest review.I have used this for about a week. I wanted something more natural and sulfate free.I heard that using sulfate products would make your hair shed. I really wanted to like it. The positives i liked the smell it does make your hair soft/

the negatives I have Auburn hair: I heard this was a good sulfate free shampoo(Who the shampoo is geared too makes no difference to me) I read all the reviews from many, many places and none said it was only geared to a particular hair type.Everything it had on the bottle I wanted to prevent/Well It made my hair more frizzy, more breakage,left white residue and I am extremely unhappy.No difference in the shedding whatsoever I did though notice more breakage at the top of my head. By the way if U do want this product buy it is at target way cheaper and they had it buy one get one 50% off last week. For the price it didn't do what it stated to my hair.It made it worse and I wanted it better.I do use a humidifier in my house cause I do know the winter already dries your hair out anyway. This is my opinion and it might work toward your hair.I have med-auburn hair and it did't work for me. I do my research before I buy a product so I had literally read pages of reviews about it before I bought it.